Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Wondering if this is just a routine maintenance update or preparation stuff. Seems like I've seen similar "updates" before.

Wondering if this is just a routine maintenance update or preparation stuff. Seems like I've seen similar "updates" before.

The cliffnotes update history description on console says "network optimization", but 1.8 gigs does not make a whole lot of sense for just netcode fixes. I've played a handful of games which have all been pretty smooth, but couldn't say if there is a substantial improvement in general. I'd actually been feeling lag had become much more an issue since v1.11. so perhaps they corrected issues introduced therein? At least I hope that's the variety of network optimization being referenced and not further patches to "balance towards online play". >:-[ However, I think the most likely explanation. given the patch size, is that they did in fact add the CaS assets with this patch but are waiting until they are distributed across all or most regions before opening access to them with another shortly. I'll look into confirming or refutting that when I have the time, hopefully this evening.

Yeah that's my best guess too. Seems put of the ordinary for them to just drop an update without any patch notes.

I do see a few CAS options that I don't recall from before. Seems like a couple pieces... the cadet hat and school athletic suit, and some arm bands for girls. 2 nearly identical pants for guys, and looks like they may have added more bottoms for guys from the girla' selections.
I only bought the standard edition so these things might not be "new" to people with the deluxe dlc.

This?

I think it already existed in CaS...

Last edited:
I took a quick peek at the patch files. I could not find anything new.

That's disappointing. I neglected to look at the size of the directory before update; did you happen to note how much it grew by for this update? I'm having a hard time understanding how 1.8 gigs of files would need to be updated for netcode purposes if these were file substitutions. I really, really hope this doesn't mean we're talking about a huge number of moveset changes to orient the game's balance even further towards online mode. And it's starting to look like that might be exactly what it is, if you found now new assets.

Yeah. New for me at least. A couple more things I hadn't seen before too but nothing major.

I believe most or all of that content was introduced in patch 1.10.

That's disappointing. I neglected to look at the size of the directory before update; did you happen to note how much it grew by for this update? I'm having a hard time understanding how 1.8 gigs of files would need to be updated for netcode purposes if these were file substitutions. I really, really hope this doesn't mean we're talking about a huge number of moveset changes to orient the game's balance even further towards online mode. And it's starting to look like that might be exactly what it is, if you found now new assets.
It's because of how UE4 works. First of all, all game assets are stored in a couple of gigantic file archives. It looks like Steam is smart and makes it so you download the difference between the new and old versions of those archives, but I wonder if something could go easily wrong and a tiny change means re-downloading a huge chunk of those archives.

Another thing (and this could easily be 99% of the reason), with each patch a lot of assets are ever so slightly different in trivial ways. For instance, a lot of files have timestamps, and those timestamps are updated each time all the files are "cooked" (cooking in UE4 means converting files from their raw formats to what the game would use when running). One timestamp is very tiny, but even changing a tiny part of a file will change how it's compressed.

Long story short, with almost every patch, people are essentially re-downloading major parts of the game.

It's because of how UE4 works. First of all, all game assets are stored in a couple of gigantic file archives. It looks like Steam is smart and makes it so you download the difference between the new and old versions of those archives, but I wonder if something could go easily wrong and a tiny change means re-downloading a huge chunk of those archives.

Another thing (and this could easily be 99% of the reason), with each patch a lot of assets are ever so slightly different in trivial ways. For instance, a lot of files have timestamps, and those timestamps are updated each time all the files are "cooked" (cooking in UE4 means converting files from their raw formats to what the game would use when running). One timestamp is very tiny, but even changing a tiny part of a file will change how it's compressed.

Long story short, with almost every patch, people are essentially re-downloading major parts of the game.

Yeah, precisely--that's why I was wondering if you had noted if the actual size of the directory had grown, as this would indicate that the it wasn't merely a re-download of some discrete but still sizable portion of the game, but rather an actual substantial addition to the data (compression ratios would only account for so much variance in this context, afterall). I think it's roughly where it was before, which would fit with the tweet above. Still, patching for one bug that wasn't significant enough to have even been raised by the player community (that is saw)? I feel like there must have been at least some other tweeks.

Back