Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

To this day I kind of prefer Natsu's to taki though that's just personal preference.
Actually, me too; there's just something extra slick about about Natsu's variation on the Taki archetype, particularly as regards how her teleports work and how she can maneuver in close.
I probably should of read the previous pages, but I read to quickly sometimes. Sorry for any issues, or if I looked like a scumbag.
No worries--that can happen to anyone. I just wanted to be clear about why I was brushing him off brusquely.
Soul Calibur Legends.
Haha, well, I'll have to take your word on that one. But I think all of 100 people played that game, so the straight up fantasy tropes probably took most people by surprise.

Last edited:
As far as stages go I don't want to sound like I'm pulling strings from thin air but the remaining stages might have allot more detail put into them. Such as Ring out Transitions, or interactive environments. It could also be our next dlc packs in Season 2 because there is only 4 character packs.
No, from all indications there will be six characters in Season 2, but I am holding out hope for another stage or three before the DLC stalls out on this entry. Goodness knows it's certainly needed. And I agree, I'm really keen to see a little more detail, life, or interactivity in the maps. So many of the stages we do have are "barren cliff in desert", "unremarkable cliff in pasteurland", "generic clearing in woods". There are a few legacy stages that look I guess more or less like you'd expect them to: a Shrine of Eurydice location, a variation on the Kunpaetku Shrine, an iteration on the classic Indian Port. But then there are a whole lot of missing archetypes that I consider borderline unacceptable omissions: where's our raft/floating platform stage? Our cage match stage? Our on-the-deck-of-a-ship stage? The Moneypit? A library or gallery? Each of these concepts has disappeared from this or that game in the franchise now and again, but here we have none of these beloved designs.

Indeed, to not have even single stage in the entire game that has something going for it other than being a platform or a closed in space? SCIV really began to experiment with some great features that really mixed up the gameplay (the Phantom Pavillion stages, for example) and then for reasons that I can only assume are tied into budget, PS retreated from those concepts; SCV had only Mr. Fuji the Holy Waterway and the ship battle stage (forget the name), and the latter was actually kinda poorly executed. SCVI, aside from having the smallest number of stages, has zero stages with even so much as minor interactive features.

And as if that weren't bad enough, the visual designs on 2/3 of these maps can only be fairly described as "Meh?" Even when the old maps lacked any interactive gimmick they still had visual flair: animated aspects in the background (sand flowing down an escarpment, mechanical devices grinding away, flames consuming the background, siege engines firing missiles or arrows criss-crossing the air, mist intermitently shrouding distant objects) and/or really ornate, organic and detailed backdrops. All of that is gone now and the stages just feel sterile and non-immersive. You know what it reminds me of? The Star Wars prequels, where they filmed everything against a blue screen and then composited the action on top of generic backdrops, which therefore came off as entirely fake because they lacked the detail and character of the traditional sets of the franchise. It's not a perfect comparison, because of course all Soul Calibur maps were always 100% "artificial", but they've never felt more obviously constructed and devoid of character and life than they do in this game. I would argue that, in their own way, even the rough, blocky stages of Soul Edge have more charm than the maps of this game do. It's a real weak point in this entry.

Last edited:
@Rusted Blade
No there is three character packs, They are bundled two for one. I continue to mistake Amy and Cassandra in Season 2. The SC5 stages were good having a good number of ring out-less, stationary areas, and transitioning stages. There were allot more than what you mentioned.

Its about as relevant as SC3 ae.
Dude, are you still on this "tear down SCIII:AE every chance I get" kick, just because numerous people refuted your statement that neither Li Long and Hwang had "real" movesets after SCI, and now you're psychologically invested in invalidating SCIII:AE as a "real" or "relevant" entry by insisting repeatedly (and completely incorrectly) that it wasn't even noticed by the majority of fans at that time--because then you wouldn't have to have been wrong?

Well, whatever your motivation, that is a completely asinine comparison. SCIII:AE was the widely released arcade variant of a mainline entry in the series, produced by Project Soul and well-received by the fan base. Indeed, most serious fans who have been with the series long enough to have been around for SCIII consider it the definitive version of that game. Actually, for anyone who owned a console other than the PS2 that gen, it may have been the only version of the game they experienced. Soul Calibur Legends, on the other hand, was a knock-off, licensed third-party game that wasn't even a fighter, is legendary only for it's low production values, and was released on the one console that most serious fighting game enthusiasts in that generation were least likely to have--the Wii. If the average Soul Calibur fan ever saw that game, it was in the bargain bin at a Walmart and they certainly didn't consider picking it up.

Now I'm not saying that SCIII:AE had the exposure of say SCII's arcade release, but saying it is "about as relevant as Soul Calibur Legends" is either you taking the piss (in which case, I'm sorry I missed that you meant it as a humurous exaggeration and ignore the foregoing, critcal tone and all) or else it's you pretending to have a deeper understanding of the relative popularity/exposure of AE at the time it was released. And, given that you didn't even seem to know about the existence of SCIII:AE when it came up in that other thread all those weeks back, I'm going to guess it could easily be the latter.

@Rusted Blade
No there is three character packs, They are bundled two for one. I continue to mistake Amy and Cassandra in Season 2. The SC5 stages were good having a good number of ring out-less, stationary areas, and transitioning stages. There were allot more than what you mentioned.
Oh yeah, I forgot the release documentation suggested they would be paired like that. I still wonder if that will ultimately end up being the case, but fair point. On the other matter, can you remind me which stages had transitions besides the daytime ship battle and Mt. Fuji the Holy? I'm racking my brain to remember but coming up with nothing.

Last edited:
Utopia of the Blessed had the best transition, and was my favorite stage. It was an infinite that would go to a normal stage for the final battle or after either had won twice. Astaroth’s stage would transition if you did a ring out. Voldo’s stage had the destructible walls like Phantom Pavillion that expand the stage upon splat.

Dude, are you still on this "tear down SCIII:AE every chance I get" kick, just because numerous people refuted your statement that neither Li Long and Hwang had "real" movesets after SCI, and now you're psychologically invested in invalidating SCIII:AE as a "real" or "relevant" entry by insisting repeatedly (and completely incorrectly) that it wasn't even noticed by the majority of fans at that time--because then you wouldn't have to have been wrong?

Well, whatever your motivation, that is a completely asinine comparison. SCIII:AE was the widely released arcade variant of a mainline entry in the series, produced by Project Soul and well-received by the fan base. Indeed, most serious fans who have been with the series long enough to have been around for SCIII consider it the definitive version of that game. Actually, for anyone who owned a console other than the PS2 that gen, it may have been the only version of the game they experienced. Soul Calibur Legends, on the other hand, was a knock-off, licensed third-party game that wasn't even a fighter, is legendary only for it's low production values, and was released on the one console that most serious fighting game enthusiasts in that generation were least likely to have--the Wii. If the average Soul Calibur fan ever saw that game, it was in the bargain bin at a Walmart and they certainly didn't consider picking it up.

Now I'm not saying that SCIII:AE had the exposure of say SCII's arcade release, but saying it is "about as relevant as Soul Calibur Legends" is either you taking the piss (in which case, I'm sorry I missed that you meant it as a humurous exaggeration and ignore the foregoing, critcal tone and all) or else it's you pretending to have a deeper understanding of the relative popularity/exposure of AE at the time it was released. And, given that you didn't even seem to know about the existence of SCIII:AE when it came up in that other thread all those weeks back, I'm going to guess it could easily be the latter.

Oh i've been aware of SC3 ae's existence since i joined this site, which was around a few months or so following SC4's release. Now i wasnt exactly aware of all the differences until recently but well... how would i know? The general public didnt have access to the game. I think if you're being honest here, you'll admit that. Where exactly are you from if you dont mind me asking? An arcade wasnt anywhere around my location. The glory days of them being in every shopping mall, golf course, whatever was already long gone by that time. Perhaps if i cared to search and travel for one but not in any convenient location is what i mean, nevermind if SC3 ae was available. This isnt about whether the game was great or not. It just wasnt available and thus not relevant. Completely different reason than the Walmart bargain-bin Legends but still the same result. Then again, maybe that shitty Legends was worth the eventual clearance price, who knows? In any case its also worth mentioning SC3 ae has not received the HD remake treatment which i'd think if PS felt it was relevant, they would do that.

@AMillionHP I wouldn't say that saying it's because Project Soul doesn't think SoulCalibur III isn't relevant. That doesn't seem fair. It's more likely that SoulCalibur III, in general, wasn't met with the best reaction by the fans. Casuals loved the modes, but pro players pretty much universally panned it due to the technical issues, and weren't really sticking up for the Arcade Edition either, from what I saw, due to its limited availability. Because of the reputation it has, the real rational reason why they haven't put out a SoulCalibur III HD would likely be because they don't believe that it would be profitable. If they did Arcade Edition, then they'd likely leave out the game modes people loved, and if they kept the game modes, then they'd likely not have the Arcade Edition improvements, because the builds of the games are totally separate. They would have to merge them, and it probably wouldn't be worth the effort, in their minds, if there's no guarantee for success in sales.

You're very much right that the vast majority of people have never even seen a SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition machine, let alone played it, but it's still a relevant entry in the series, considering it's what led to Amy being a full character in SoulCalibur IV, or at least contributed to it. We may never know the reason why she was included while Hwang and Li Long were left out, but I very much doubt that she would have been a full character in SoulCalibur IV if they hadn't already refined and completed her moveset for the Arcade Edition, since she shares a fair amount of similarity to that version, while adding some more flair. It's also a mystery why she never got her alternate costume, though it's not like they would never repeat that behavior in the future, with Dampierre having a 2p costume and extra weapons in Broken Destiny, and only getting his main weapon and 1p costume in SoulCalibur V.

Legends, on the other hand, is a non-canon entry, in pretty much every respect, and not relevant to anything, as a complete spin-off with no callbacks.

@AMillionHP I wouldn't say that saying it's because Project Soul doesn't think SoulCalibur III isn't relevant. That doesn't seem fair. It's more likely that SoulCalibur III, in general, wasn't met with the best reaction by the fans. Casuals loved the modes, but pro players pretty much universally panned it due to the technical issues, and weren't really sticking up for the Arcade Edition either, from what I saw, due to its limited availability. Because of the reputation it has, the real rational reason why they haven't put out a SoulCalibur III HD would likely be because they don't believe that it would be profitable. If they did Arcade Edition, then they'd likely leave out the game modes people loved, and if they kept the game modes, then they'd likely not have the Arcade Edition improvements, because the builds of the games are totally separate. They would have to merge them, and it probably wouldn't be worth the effort, in their minds, if there's no guarantee for success in sales.

You're very much right that the vast majority of people have never even seen a SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition machine, let alone played it, but it's still a relevant entry in the series, considering it's what led to Amy being a full character in SoulCalibur IV, or at least contributed to it. We may never know the reason why she was included while Hwang and Li Long were left out, but I very much doubt that she would have been a full character in SoulCalibur IV if they hadn't already refined and completed her moveset for the Arcade Edition, since she shares a fair amount of similarity to that version, while adding some more flair. It's also a mystery why she never got her alternate costume, though it's not like they would never repeat that behavior in the future, with Dampierre having a 2p costume and extra weapons in Broken Destiny, and only getting his main weapon and 1p costume in SoulCalibur V.

Legends, on the other hand, is a non-canon entry, in pretty much every respect, and not relevant to anything, as a complete spin-off with no callbacks.

I dont disagree with anything you've said. My response was largely motivated by the debate regarding Hwang and Li Long relevance. When i said SC3 ae isnt relevant, i guess what i should say is it shouldnt be used as a basis for including those two in SC6. Since relatively speaking, no one could even play it. Meaning the amount of players maining those characters is quite small, yet Hilde and Algol not making the roster strictly because it isnt yet their time... well i'm sorry but that seems rather trivial.

Last edited:
I've experienced a glitch where if I fight a CaS with an extremely distorted voice as 2B, Pod's voice also becomes distorted when attacking with it in close proximity to said CaS.

I just want to update something I said yesterday about the Libra of Souls Currency Exchange. Seems since the last update that the mode has adjusted the currency amount. It's now much more balanced where I received a 100 SP for every 1000 Gold. And it seems I getting much more gold after clearing missions. 2B now has an Ancient battle given to you by Edgemaster. And the Libra scales have a highlighted color that reflects your moral affinity. I'm unsure if it's easier to tip the scales, but I already committed to finish my 30 Astral Fissure missions and start a new game with a Soul Edge affinity to the scales.

Last edited:
Utopia of the Blessed had the best transition, and was my favorite stage. It was an infinite that would go to a normal stage for the final battle or after either had won twice. Astaroth’s stage would transition if you did a ring out. Voldo’s stage had the destructible walls like Phantom Pavillion that expand the stage upon splat.
Don’t forget the arena shifts on Maxi and Kilik’s stage, which would happen after a period of time.

I just want to update something I said yesterday about the Libra of Souls Currency Exchange. Seems since the last update that the mode has adjusted the currency amount. It's now much more balanced where I received a 100 SP for every 1000 Gold. And it seems I getting much more gold after clearing missions. 2B now has an Ancient battle given to you by Edgemaster. And the Libra scales have a highlighted color that reflects your moral affinity. I'm unsure if it's easier to tip the scales, but I already committed to finish my 30 Astral Fissure missions and start a new game with a Soul Edge affinity to the scales.
Most of those things were in the patch notes, up to 2B. I don't recall reading about 2B getting an Ancient, so that's neat. The scales have always had a color, though, unless they've changed it? I'm not really sure what you mean. I don't recall any notes in there about the scales, but they did make gold easier to obtain and changed the ratio of trades so that it's easier to get SP offline than grinding Arcade mode.

Don’t forget the arena shifts on Maxi and Kilik’s stage, which would happen after a period of time.
I didn't forget them, they were just already mentioned in the post preceding mine. I was filling in the rest.

@DanteSC3
Yeah I do believe the color circle has always been there, I was just surprised to see the increase in gold and currency exchange. I haven't checked out the patch notes for this update but I do know prior to the Equipment DLC 2B didn't have an ancient. She, Siegfried and Geralt are the only ones I mastered. I mastered her after Siegfried and nothing ever came up until now.

Kinda wondering if 2B's Ancient only just showing up was a bug. Annoyed me seeing that empty slot, but since it's fixed, that just leaves the presumably still-bugged purple title for Nightmare missing. Minor though it is, it's not exactly pleasant knowing something most people should probably have unlocked who did it, let alone all the paths we tested, and nothing to show for it.

It is annoying, though I still feel like the ratio of people who care about getting the title versus everyone else is incredibly small. I'd love to see it fixed, but even if it's never fixed, at least knowing what the conditions are supposed to be would be nice. I don't really like the odds of this being patched.

Oh i've been aware of SC3 ae's existence since i joined this site, which was around a few months or so following SC4's release. Now i wasnt exactly aware of all the differences until recently but well... how would i know? The general public didnt have access to the game. I think if you're being honest here, you'll admit that. Where exactly are you from if you dont mind me asking? An arcade wasnt anywhere around my location. The glory days of them being in every shopping mall, golf course, whatever was already long gone by that time. Perhaps if i cared to search and travel for one but not in any convenient location is what i mean, nevermind if SC3 ae was available. This isnt about whether the game was great or not. It just wasnt available and thus not relevant. Completely different reason than the Walmart bargain-bin Legends but still the same result. Then again, maybe that shitty Legends was worth the eventual clearance price, who knows? In any case its also worth mentioning SC3 ae has not received the HD remake treatment which i'd think if PS felt it was relevant, they would do that.

Well, dude, I take you at face value when you say there wasn't an arcade around where you were, but I think you are letting yourself fall prey to a cognitive bias known as the availability heuristic (that is, judging the frequency of something based on your ability to recall examples from your own experience rather than an empirical knowledge of actual frequency). If your idea of "arcades" are the little hole-in-the-wall things at suburban shopping malls, then yeah, I can see how you might believe that they had disappeared circa 2005. But I assure you they persisted (indeed to this day). And that game was run on system 246/256 hardware--which might not mean a whole lot to you if you weren't ever a big arcade gamer, but suffice it to say it means that it was a really simple thing to put the software into a generic cabinet: you just swapped out the hard drive or even just overwrote the one already in the box. I personally saw numerous cabinets running it. And yeah, maybe I was in a more metropolitan location than you, but so were a lot of other people. And that's all to say nothing of Japan--you always forget that the Japanese audience is a huge part of Namco's consumer base, and arcades never went even a little out of fashion there.

Look, I'm not trying to say that SCIII hit the level of saturation that previous games in the franchise did. The console release really hit the competitive SC community like a bit of a wrecking ball. But I'm trying to tell you (and you really should trust me) that the tale you've woven for yourself (based on supposition on your part rather than first-hand experience of what was actually happening among players not similarly situated to your own circumstances and level of engagement with the compettive scene pre-SCIV) about how "the general public didn't have access to the game" is just not accurate. The game was around in arcades and arcades themselves were still around in the U.S., U.K., and Europe. And there were tournaments running. A pretty pathetic amount compared to that furious heyday of SCII just a few years before, yeah, but trust me when I tell you that in the competitive scene, people knew and preferred that version of the game. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it was the most popular release of a given entry in the franchise of all time--of course it wasn't! But comparing it to Soul Calibur Legends, a budget knock-off beat'em-up with motion controls on the Wii, in terms of popularity, exposure, and influence on the later series? Come on man, get real.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a bug. The Ancient doesn't even use her style. Makes me wonder if there was some litigation issues with Square Enix that didn't want 2B to be added into the Soul Calibur story modes somehow? (Is this because Final Fantasy and Nier would become apart of the same universe since Tekken and Soul Calibur are? Noctis is apart of the Tekken story now since he goes fishing with Lars lol) They on the other hand offered her to be fully customized where as Geralt only appears in the story. Must be the trade off for the same level of kick back.

Back