Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

KageKazenami

[10] Knight
Kinda wondering if 2B's Ancient only just showing up was a bug. Annoyed me seeing that empty slot, but since it's fixed, that just leaves the presumably still-bugged purple title for Nightmare missing. Minor though it is, it's not exactly pleasant knowing something most people should probably have unlocked who did it, let alone all the paths we tested, and nothing to show for it.

DanteSC3

[14] Master
It is annoying, though I still feel like the ratio of people who care about getting the title versus everyone else is incredibly small. I'd love to see it fixed, but even if it's never fixed, at least knowing what the conditions are supposed to be would be nice. I don't really like the odds of this being patched.

Rusted Blade

[07] Duelist
Oh i've been aware of SC3 ae's existence since i joined this site, which was around a few months or so following SC4's release. Now i wasnt exactly aware of all the differences until recently but well... how would i know? The general public didnt have access to the game. I think if you're being honest here, you'll admit that. Where exactly are you from if you dont mind me asking? An arcade wasnt anywhere around my location. The glory days of them being in every shopping mall, golf course, whatever was already long gone by that time. Perhaps if i cared to search and travel for one but not in any convenient location is what i mean, nevermind if SC3 ae was available. This isnt about whether the game was great or not. It just wasnt available and thus not relevant. Completely different reason than the Walmart bargain-bin Legends but still the same result. Then again, maybe that shitty Legends was worth the eventual clearance price, who knows? In any case its also worth mentioning SC3 ae has not received the HD remake treatment which i'd think if PS felt it was relevant, they would do that.
Well, dude, I take you at face value when you say there wasn't an arcade around where you were, but I think you are letting yourself fall prey to a cognitive bias known as the availability heuristic (that is, judging the frequency of something based on your ability to recall examples from your own experience rather than an empirical knowledge of actual frequency). If your idea of "arcades" are the little hole-in-the-wall things at suburban shopping malls, then yeah, I can see how you might believe that they had disappeared circa 2005. But I assure you they persisted (indeed to this day). And that game was run on system 246/256 hardware--which might not mean a whole lot to you if you weren't ever a big arcade gamer, but suffice it to say it means that it was a really simple thing to put the software into a generic cabinet: you just swapped out the hard drive or even just overwrote the one already in the box. I personally saw numerous cabinets running it. And yeah, maybe I was in a more metropolitan location than you, but so were a lot of other people. And that's all to say nothing of Japan--you always forget that the Japanese audience is a huge part of Namco's consumer base, and arcades never went even a little out of fashion there.

Look, I'm not trying to say that SCIII hit the level of saturation that previous games in the franchise did. The console release really hit the competitive SC community like a bit of a wrecking ball. But I'm trying to tell you (and you really should trust me) that the tale you've woven for yourself (based on supposition on your part rather than first-hand experience of what was actually happening among players not similarly situated to your own circumstances and level of engagement with the compettive scene pre-SCIV) about how "the general public didn't have access to the game" is just not accurate. The game was around in arcades and arcades themselves were still around in the U.S., U.K., and Europe. And there were tournaments running. A pretty pathetic amount compared to that furious heyday of SCII just a few years before, yeah, but trust me when I tell you that in the competitive scene, people knew and preferred that version of the game. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it was the most popular release of a given entry in the franchise of all time--of course it wasn't! But comparing it to Soul Calibur Legends, a budget knock-off beat'em-up with motion controls on the Wii, in terms of popularity, exposure, and influence on the later series? Come on man, get real.

Last edited:

ZionOAS

[09] Warrior
I don't think it's a bug. The Ancient doesn't even use her style. Makes me wonder if there was some litigation issues with Square Enix that didn't want 2B to be added into the Soul Calibur story modes somehow? (Is this because Final Fantasy and Nier would become apart of the same universe since Tekken and Soul Calibur are? Noctis is apart of the Tekken story now since he goes fishing with Lars lol) They on the other hand offered her to be fully customized where as Geralt only appears in the story. Must be the trade off for the same level of kick back.

DanteSC3

[14] Master
I don't think it's a bug. The Ancient doesn't even use her style. Makes me wonder if there was some litigation issues with Square Enix that didn't want 2B to be added into the Soul Calibur story modes somehow? (Is this because Final Fantasy and Nier would become apart of the same universe since Tekken and Soul Calibur are? Noctis is apart of the Tekken story now since he goes fishing with Lars lol) They on the other hand offered her to be fully customized where as Geralt only appears in the story. Must be the trade off for the same level of kick back.
What? That doesn't even make any sense... what style does the Ancient use then? Edge Master? And 2B's trailer was story-related already, Ivy existing in the world of Nier Automata, which is implied to be our world, in the year 11945.

But guest stories in SoulCalibur have never been strictly canon, just given a handwave excuse that gives them context and then the next game pretends they never happened. If Mitsurugi mentions Geralt in SoulCalibur VII, I would be surprised.

ZionOAS

[09] Warrior
What? That doesn't even make any sense... what style does the Ancient use then? Edge Master? And 2B's trailer was story-related already, Ivy existing in the world of Nier Automata, which is implied to be our world, in the year 11945.

But guest stories in SoulCalibur have never been strictly canon, just given a handwave excuse that gives them context and then the next game pretends they never happened. If Mitsurugi mentions Geralt in SoulCalibur VII, I would be surprised.
Yeah but it's not explaining why Square Enix and Project Soul seemed to give her a story teaser and then take her out entirely. And not even a CaS Ancient can use her style to test you? And it could just be them being lazy but still.

AriesWarlock

[10] Knight
The DOA6 demo is out now. Lasts. Until Monday.