Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

And no, you can't just dismiss them because they are making some questionable calls lately (and seriously you're putting flapjack in the same category of seriousness as balancing towards online?)--for one thing, they still remain the most qualified experts on the subject, by leaps and bounds, and in any event, its not just Okubo's team that has talked in these terms

This remind me an of article about Street Fighter IV I read once, where, I think, the game's director said that players were using the ultra combo moves in ways the development staff never imagined before. I think this unforeseen action lead the developers to rethink how to future make balance changes.
The developers give us the canvas, we the players will be the ones painting on it.

I don't play Talim, but I think I discovered a glitch regarding her BBB. If she cancels into stance immediately, her RE won't parry i10-16 moves even though it looks like the attack is being reflected. But if she holds the RE for even a slight moment, it will work as intended.

Despite the fact I main Talim, I have never used BBB because it's useless, so I have no idea if that's new or not. Her (literally) detrimental aGI that she has on WNF also has a quirk like that, where if she cancels into a move the moment a move makes contact with the aGI, it doesn't put you into the horrible aGI animation but does absorb the attack hitbox, so you can actually punish them as opposed to... twirling backwards. Talim: The only character with a detrimental aGI unless you Just Frame the GI.

--

The RE changes are something I am willing to mostly call good, despite maining Talim (Thank god for meter reduction on success -- it's still insanely high though). They certainly hurt her, and doing RE cancels in neutral that do not absorb anything guarantee 19% guard damage. RE as a whole now more or less guarantees that you will have done guard damage to yourself if you use it, which I think is a fine decision for the mechanic. It's used to cover all options, so it makes sense that it doesn't heal guard damage beyond what it used.

That aside, I do think GIs should have stayed the same, or at the least, should be healing guard damage on success still. Guard damage is very, very high in this game, and now the way to avoid it: Going for GIs or RE are now detrimental. RE it makes sense, but GIs should be replenishing your gauge on success.

Right now, if your guard gauge is high, your only solution is to: never block (good luck) and don't get hit while it slowly very slowly drains, or, the new option which is to... run... at... the... opponent. What!? Why does that reduce guard damage!? It does an mild job of it if you're Sophie or anyone else or makes a habit of running at someone's face and making them guess between launcher/low/horizontal. Otherwise, you're not going to be doing this that much, and odds are if you are and not in an oki situation, you're probably going to have to block something or get smacked for doing it, so sort of a counter-intuitive solution.

--

Welcome to guard break land, me thinks.

Personally, I think that GIs should still heal 8% on success and/or that Just Guards should half guard damage taken so that that mechanic actually has a use against someone other than Taki/Geralt and Soul Charge.

The patch in which all the heroes were buffed...
"If everyone is buffed - then nerfed that, who is least buffed"(c)
Least buffed in this patch is Yoshi, and I'm glad of it - bcz yoshi was overpowered

Generally DLC gets put on the PS Store at 3pm Eastern/12pm Pacific time.
Welp... looks like I'm going to have to leave this board then (since I seem to be the only Yank around these parts). Want to be as blind as possible going into Amy gameplay & story content. In fact, I'm going to be spending every second of my free time remastering her (especially with that tricky new flower mechanic in play) so I won't be around for a loooong time (probably not until Cassandra gets announced).

Last edited:
This girl has some vicious tools. The damage with roses maxed while soul charged is crazy, not to mention the wall combos where it gets straight up ridiculous. I'm suspecting some incoming nerfs there.

@Sectus did you see any changes in the coding for DLC name/codenames?
Well, yes, kinda, sorta, potentially.

They left in files which define all the various properties of a character (meshes, size, gender, fighting style, etc). But no one has reverse engineered for the format of these. I can tell based on strings in the files that they're currently using assets of other characters. Which are the following:
Yell is based on 0x0C (Kilik)
Stone is based on 0x0C (Kilik)
Reptile is based on 0x0C (Kilik)
Yellow is based on 0x0D (Xianghua)
Star is based on 0x0F (Yoshimitsu)
Snow is based on 0x01 (Mitsurugi)

I'm not sure if there's much meaning to get from this. Yellow being Xianghua could maybe be a hint that Yellow is in indeed Hwang since they had similar movesets back in SC1. Yell is currently Kilik because of his staff and Hilde has a long weapon? That's kind of far fetched. If Stone and Reptile are Rock and Lizardman, then it makes no sense they'd use Kilik as placeholder.

But well, these could just be arbitrary placeholders with little meaning.

Back