Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Yell is currently Kilik because of his staff and Hilde has a long weapon?
Or Yell is currently Kilik because his staff hasn't been broken up into three sections yet for Li Long.

Seriously, though, I don't think that means anything, since Rock and Aeon don't have anything to do with Kilik.

Yun-seong or Algol or Viola being linked to Yoshimitsu also doesn't make much sense. It's probably just arbitrary WIP stuff.

Despite the fact I main Talim, I have never used BBB because it's useless, so I have no idea if that's new or not. Her (literally) detrimental aGI that she has on WNF also has a quirk like that, where if she cancels into a move the moment a move makes contact with the aGI, it doesn't put you into the horrible aGI animation but does absorb the attack hitbox, so you can actually punish them as opposed to... twirling backwards. Talim: The only character with a detrimental aGI unless you Just Frame the GI.

--

The RE changes are something I am willing to mostly call good, despite maining Talim (Thank god for meter reduction on success -- it's still insanely high though). They certainly hurt her, and doing RE cancels in neutral that do not absorb anything guarantee 19% guard damage. RE as a whole now more or less guarantees that you will have done guard damage to yourself if you use it, which I think is a fine decision for the mechanic. It's used to cover all options, so it makes sense that it doesn't heal guard damage beyond what it used.

That aside, I do think GIs should have stayed the same, or at the least, should be healing guard damage on success still. Guard damage is very, very high in this game, and now the way to avoid it: Going for GIs or RE are now detrimental. RE it makes sense, but GIs should be replenishing your gauge on success.

Right now, if your guard gauge is high, your only solution is to: never block (good luck) and don't get hit while it slowly very slowly drains, or, the new option which is to... run... at... the... opponent. What!? Why does that reduce guard damage!? It does an mild job of it if you're Sophie or anyone else or makes a habit of running at someone's face and making them guess between launcher/low/horizontal. Otherwise, you're not going to be doing this that much, and odds are if you are and not in an oki situation, you're probably going to have to block something or get smacked for doing it, so sort of a counter-intuitive solution.

--

Welcome to guard break land, me thinks.

Personally, I think that GIs should still heal 8% on success and/or that Just Guards should half guard damage taken so that that mechanic actually has a use against someone other than Taki/Geralt and Soul Charge.

I didn't know that her WNF aGI works like that, that is interesting so I did some testing. It starts with a RE parry and shifts to aGI after consecutive horizontal attacks, but this makes it difficult for Talim to punish attacks. She herself can't be punished after reflecting though so it might not truly be detrimental. Impact window for reflecting seems to be i14-22 or so. Similar to BBB, the parry glitch only happens if you immediately cancel with G, while staying in WNF for even a slight moment will make it work as intended. The impact speed of the attack being 'reflected' doesn't actually matter.

To me, BBB seems like a move that could be useful to try and confuse the opponent. Even though Talim's BB is safe on block, you can frame trap her afterwards and it makes her more predictable as opposed to mixing it with BBB every once in a while. She can also cancel into stance to try interrupting whiff punish attempts if the opponent uses attacks with fast recovery.

About the changes to RE and GI mechanics... I don't agree with it. There was no need to nerf them as they were already risky tools to begin with, especially RE. The meter gain for RE is indeed high, but the initiator deserves to be greatly rewarded for using such a risky move. You can simply use G in round 2 if you don't want to take the risk and let the opponent gain so much meter. I agree that JG should reduce guard damage and I've had that opinion ever since the game was released. The developers should implement that, along with slightly increasing the guard stamina replenish rate to accommodate these new changes because now, it's too easy to get guard crushed.

Last edited:
I think the devs wanted to emphasize using everything. If they only changed RE, no one would use it at all and solely use GI. Idk. Can Talim users let us know if the change affects her cancel? I'm not joining discords for characters I don't use.
I really thinks that's the way it ought to be though. RE is a one-button panic move with a huge window of effect and (depending on the variations) all manner of other advantages; GI requires more constrained timing and tighter reads, and sure it doesn't give guaranteed advantage, but it also fills meter. While I definitely agree with you as to what the dev motive was here, I think it just further highlights what an ill-fitting mechanic RE is, that they would balance a staple like GI in order to encourage the continued use of RE, now that they (apparently) have gotten so much feedback on how it damages the general flow of play that they've decided to nerf it at least some. And believe me, I'm all for both the decrease in meter and increase in guard damage for RE (haven't looked on the patch notes, but that's the take-away I'm receiving from the comments here as I do a fly-by), but I just don't think this necessitated a similar guard damage increase for GI.

That said, the notion of guard damage for GI is an interesting consideration in itself (even aside from RE), and I can't say as it doesn't make at least a little sense to have GI work in this way; after-all, they never really did do much to counterbalance the fact that GIs are now universal and thus easier to pull off, did they? Or rather, what they did for V (meter cost) was not held over, and I think almost everyone here probably agrees that is for the better. But if the new approach is going to be predicated in guard damage and solely in guard damage, I'd rather it was some truly trivial figure, like 3-5%, rather than 8%, personally. That seems like a better figure; you ought to be able to GI more than 12 times at least before worrying about the consequences, especially given how guard meter holds over round to round in this entry.

Any word on America though? I know DLC has been released at 12:00 noon here before :(
By no means a a gauruntee, but my observations so far suggest that for PC and XBOX players, you should expect the update between 1AM-5AM, and for PS4, 7AM-12PM. Don't quote me on that, but this seems to be mostly, but not perfectly, consistent across most markets. I have no idea why PS4 users are consistently getting the short end of the stick in western markets, but as someone else alluded to above, it probably has more to do with Sony's updates to its content delivery library than anything else.

Last edited:
She is available to be bought separately but not available as season pass downloadable
Problem is, even if you buy her, she still doesn’t work. Whenever they put up the micropatch that enables the content, I’m sure she’ll be in the season pass package. They just listed her early, seems like.

Best bet for Amy's SC4 costume is to use Seong Mi-Na's undergarments.

Attachments

• IMG_20190325_213137.jpg
    IMG_20190325_213137.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_20190325_213131.jpg
    IMG_20190325_213131.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 281
  • USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1553563053529.jpg_1553563055730.jpeg
    USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1553563053529.jpg_1553563055730.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 249
I don't think arcade has been as randomized as we had thought. Every round through Normal difficulty I've done, she's always been the 8th match.

But then when it breaks, you've got to look at Seong Mi-na's undergarments. The real best bet is when Amy comes out for real, to use the undergarments that come with her primary outfit:

img_item_07.jpg
I didn't mean for Amy though. I meant in general because night butterfly conflicts with so much. I can't speak on a character that isn't out yet.

EDIT: You can use bloomers, cursed bird leotard, basic clothes, or *maybe* tube top and fetching leotard if that's what the concern is.

Last edited:
I don't think arcade has been as randomized as we had thought. Every round through Normal difficulty I've done, she's always been the 8th match.
And she's always fourth in Very Hard, seems like.

I didn't mean for Amy though. I meant in general because night butterfly conflicts with so much. I can't speak on a character that isn't out yet.
Sure, fair enough, but I guess I'm not one to use outfits on other characters when they're this elaborate or obviously that other character. I just can't separate the character from the outfit, when the outfit is so indicative of the character. I prefer more generic parts for custom characters, for that reason.

I think these changes to RE have actually been beneficial for Voldo. Considering RE eats away at your guard gauge much more and Voldo can easily evade it with his A+K (Super Freak) he can essentially set himself up for free 666B combos if the meter gets to the lowest it can be, plus the guard crush increase to his CR K, 6K and 44[K] (free MCFT B LH right there). Snazzy.

Amy's story arc was a treat, especially when they decided to bring back Dance of the Oracle for the final fight. May it one day be used for its original purpose.

The rose motif in her moveset has definitely helped make her feel more unique than in SCIV and the foreshadowing for Viola was handled nicely both in gameplay and story. While I still would prefer Viola herself, I'm satisfied with this DLC.

It also sounds like they may be setting up for Z.W.E.I. in the future.

--Forgon

Amy's story arc was a treat, especially when they decided to bring back Dance of the Oracle for the final fight. May it one day be used for its original purpose.

The rose motif in her moveset has definitely helped make her feel more unique than in SCIV and the foreshadowing for Viola was handled nicely both in gameplay and story. While I still would prefer Viola herself, I'm satisfied with this DLC.

It also sounds like they may be setting up for Z.W.E.I. in the future.

--Forgon

Now would this be setup for Viola in Season 2/ future DLC? Or do you think like Soul Calibur VII.

I know the timeline is kinda irrelevant, but it feels too soon for viola. Though anything can happen

Back