Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

The way I see it, at best we might get reveal announcement along a release date being like the next week/few days (cause god forbid they don't wait until essentially the last minute to communicate these things with us) around the end of April or early May. At worst we're waiting until late May for that.

What do yall think about Amy so far? Weak? Strong? meh?
As an avid Amy player, I absolutely adore her in this. All of her new moves are splendid (with the exception of the roses, but thankfully it's fairly easy to avoid the gimmick and play her like I did in SCIV), and I love the rhythm of how she plays. I'm not a pro, so I can't say much about her objective tier standing, but whenever I win with her I feel like it's out of skill, and not because she's overpowered (not to say that she feels underpowered either).

As I said, I'm an avid Amy player, so I'm hardly unbiased on this subject. I've seen mixed reactions in the community (some say she's horribly weak, others say she's overpowered and 'unpunishable', and a third camp says she's mid-tier). I don't have any avid SC fans for friends, but from my experience online, I can't really say there's a community consensus one way or another.

Be it as or against her, I'd say she's in the middle on most matchups. Lacking generally without any roses, though not bad. With either color roses stacked she feels like she's upper-mid, and with both she can be a bit insane. At the very least, she doesn't feel like she has any particularly bad matchups bar maybe Voldo. Feels strong generally when used against Nightmare and 2B, though.

Does anyone know if there were any LS costumes that weren't hentai?
With the new CaS pack coming out, I was wondering if there would be any cool sets from LS to look forward to, or if there's only hentai costumes.

My initial thoughts on Amy were very positive since she's incredibly mixup-friendly, quick and (supposedly) safe. I have played her ALOT, put down loads and loads of hours and know her ins and outs fairly well and I can now say that she, at least for me, isn't as strong as she was in SCIV. For all the bells and whistles she has, I really cannot dominate online matches as easily as I managed in SCIV, so those raw strengths have not translated into this game imo.

Maybe I don't play her safely enough, but when I do tank down she becomes boring and it gets much harder to rack up substantial damage due to that insanely low base damage. I really want to utilize 236B(hold) into aGI-mixups but they are just too easily interrupted. Her 22/88B seems too steppable, and I don't know how many freaking times it has made me dumb-jump from various blocking situations; this launcher was 33/99B in SCIV and felt much more natural. Amys own stepping is really bad, and she can't seem to avoid some verticals that others can step without problem. Her basic reach is abysmal, and the few available efficient spacing tools are terribly unsafe. 4A was a great evasive tool in SCIV but they now made it 46A which just doesn't allow for fast and reliable string integration. Same goes for 46B which was 6BK (I think) in SCIV and really beneficial for a stun move, but now has no good followups whatsoever.

I mean, I could go on. But having said all this I still think she is fun to play against the CPU (when it doesn't bug out) and the new, FUN mechanics actually work. I don't know if Okubo and gang accounted for how easily punishable her new antics would be for knowledgeable players. It's a shame.

However, it seems clear to me that they didn't want to her be as strong as she was in SCIV.

Does anyone know if there were any LS costumes that weren't hentai?
With the new CaS pack coming out, I was wondering if there would be any cool sets from LS to look forward to, or if there's only hentai costumes.
I think they had some? I can't remember, honestly. What's sad is that, of all the sexy costumes from LS they could've chose, they went with that ugly Arcane Knight armor set. Seriously, even costumes like Rabbit Football and SC Woman would've been better, as they're actually sexy and not gross.

My main hope is that the next pack will include more new stuff, but alas, I shouldn't hope too much for that.

I think they had some? I can't remember, honestly. What's sad is that, of all the sexy costumes from LS they could've chose, they went with that ugly Arcane Knight armor set. Seriously, even costumes like Rabbit Football and SC Woman would've been better, as they're actually sexy and not gross.

My main hope is that the next pack will include more new stuff, but alas, I shouldn't hope too much for that.
That's kinda sad. I was honestly hoping for something more in the direction of the sanctified stuff. The hentai stuff at least gives decent gloves I guess?

Just out of curiosity, do we know if Okubo is there? I've been out of the loop on this stuff because I've been busy.

Amy is a mixed bag for me. I adore her moveset and it flows nicely and I feel like I know what I'm doing with her most of the time, and I've even gotten used to the roses (even though it feels like they're a bit random in their success and actual filling of the meters), however I feel like her stances are borderline worthless because, especially against button-reading AI, she can be knocked out of the animation far too easily and quickly (most AI opponents will time their hits immediately to cancel the stance out before you can completely enter it), making them unsafe to the point of 'not worth the risk'. I've also found her range to be a problem at times where even though I know she has short range, moves that I expect to hit at a certain distance actually don't, so I have to get a lot closer than I'd like or am used to as a Kilik main. I can definitely agree with all the folks who say fighting Zasalamel with her is more of a nightmare than, well, Nightmare... Playing her certainly feels like a labor of love sometimes. But she's tons of fun and definitely the Amy I know and love.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like 'cause about a week ago whilst trying to play Arcade with her, my (fully charged) controller disconnected and refused to reconnect (just flashed at me before powering off again). I stuck it on charge and grabbed the second controller and that wouldn't turn on either (despite being fully charged) and just flashed at me again. Tried again the next day and sure enough after about 15-20 minutes it happened again. If it was just the one controller I'd just reset with the button on the back but since it's both it suggests more of a PS4 issue so I'm clueless. I already can't play sh*t on my PC due to an issue with it and now I can't play my PS4 either. Safe to say both my Red and White Depression levels are maxed out right now.. :sc4amy1:

I did get to enjoy watching CPU Cervantes trying to break through Amy permanently stuck in the guard animation though, and I even won a round 'cause he rung himself out xD

With regards to Cassandra, I can't help wondering if they'll hold her back for Season 2. Since she and Amy were leaked, I think the reason Amy came out before Cass was to mix things up from what the leaks had told us, so I wonder if maybe they'll grab someone originally intended for Season 2 and swap them with Cass to throw us off again. I don't mind either way but it'd be nice for you Cass fans to finally get your girl back. You've waited long enough, lol.

To be fair, Okubo kinda soft-hinted at the idea of Setsuka with that tweet of his. It might seem random of him to tweet about cherry blossoms, and one might think we're looking too far into it, but keep in mind that Okubo never makes random tweets as far as I've seen.

So if they swap Cass with Setsuka, I won't be surprised. It would kinda make sense to have Cass headline Season 2, get audiences super pumped.

Back