Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Don't know what kind of calendar you're using, but for the rest of us Evo is 60 days away.
Fuck you're right, I don't know why I got it into my head that August is just over a month away. Still I hold the opinion that Cassandra will be revealed there.

Fuck you're right, I don't know why I got it into my head that August is just over a month away. Still I hold the opinion that Cassandra will be revealed there.
I really feel and hope that won't be the case. It's been 2 weeks since CAS pack 2 came out so i hope it stays on schedule and comes out mid July or possibly earlier like in Amy's case. If it doesn't and they just stay radio silent as usual i'll be a bit upset for sure though.

Yeah, I'm sorry dude, but every single piece of evidence that we have suggests that there is no way that is what is going to happen. It would mean the space between Cassandra's release and the previous one would be close to two and half times the time period between any other two releases in the season pass, when, based on the speed of their progress on similar content thus far and the fact that Cassandra has apparently been in production for ages, we have every reason to believe she is close to completion and ripe for a drop soon. And your assertion that "E3 is for full games" just isn't even remotely true: the trade show is routinely a platform for info releases regarding every imaginable kind of content and product the industry produces, often in bundled announcements.

Lastly, while I agree 100% that season 2 is likely to be announced at EVO, that's actually all the more reason why they will want season 1 wrapped and hopefully well-received in advance of that platform: it will help generate consumer enthusiasm based on their ability to deliver the first season well within a year, while announcing portions of two different products would, in marketing terms, complicate their messaging. And though I think the trigger has probably already been pulled on full commitment to season 2 by this point, they will still want to have a complete picture of what the season 1 sales figures are looking like before they formalize the particulars of their marketing push for season 2, what it will look like and what, if any, further details and release dates to make at EVO. In other words, I definitely think you ought to re-assess your confidence level on this one.

Last edited:
Let's remember that at evo last year there were 2 reveals , so maybe Setsuka and Cassandra?
I really don't think they're going to reveal two characters from different seasons at the same event. The most logical case would be show Cassandra in E3 and Season Pass 2 in EVO 2019 (2 characters) or Cassandra + Season Pass 2 announcement (without revealing anyone) in EVO 2019 / Cassandra + Season Pass 2 announcement (revealing 2 characters) in EVO 2019

Last edited:
I forgot how much T7 improved from Vanilla to FR, if SC6 gets the same revision and treatment at that level in some future we may get something incredible to say the least.

PS: About Cass maybe they don't want to reveal her way before she would be out like with 2B and Amy, so that's why they're taking their time to reveal her.

Last edited:
I forgot how much T7 improved from Vanilla to FR, if SC6 gets the same revision and treatment at that level in some future we may get something incredible to say the least.
Well, that's kind of a strange way to look at it, it seems to me: if I understand the release history of Tekken 7 correctly, the console/PC release was based off of the T7:FR release (itself an update of the first T7 arcade release), but the console version added new more new features and content than T7:FR, and said content was then re-released back into the arcades as T7:FR2. By comparison, Soul Calibur has started out on console and there's no reason to expect an arcade version at this juncture, since the franchise has not been a cabinet system series for some time. Any content that gets added to it they will just use the base game, without a re-release of the basic product, just iteratively using updates, precisely as they are using the season pass(es) and patches now.

I think even if they added entire new mechanics to the game, they would approach it that way; I think consumers in the present day would rebel if they were asked to buy an entire new version of the game unless that same version could not be achieved (with full compatibility between players) simply by updating their existing version: they would have no issues with a version that is essentially a sales bundle of existing content at some point, but dividing the player base into different versions of the game is not really viable, and they are going to allow people to buy the game however they want.

Even with Tekken 7, notice that the versions went arcade-->updated arcade version-->updated console version ported to console and then updated further-->arcade version equivalent to updated console version. Nobody cares if you release technically inconsistent versions on arcade because A) The end-user consumer/player isn't paying anything for the hardware, they are paying for use and that rate won't really change in most cases between versions, and B) it's local play, so there are no technical compatibility issues. Whatever happens with Soulcalibur will certainly happen through patching of the base experience, which is what has been happening with the game to date, in an iterative fashion--I wouldn't expect any huge re-releases until the very end of the game's lifecycle, and even then I think it will just be a comprehensive version of all the content released up until that time.

Although it occurs to me now that I've said all of that, that maybe you just meant "if SCVI improves as much between its original and final version as T7 did between the first release and FR, it will be a far superior product."

In the meantime before the Cassandra reveal I would like to address my thoughts on the possibility of a switch port. This is all just speculation and my personal opinion.

So first the opinions. I would absolutely love a switch port of SCVI. Portable SC, awesome, Nuff said. I do think that a switch port would do amazing things for SC's sales with or without the addition of a certain Nintendo guest that I won't name. (It's Link)

Facts- Okubo said in a very early interview, when asked about the possibility of a switch port, that they were not working at one at the time, but it would be considered after launch. We also now know that Bamco considers SCVI a successful release.

Back to opinion- because of the success of the game it is quite possible that the team is already working on a said port, which could possibly account for the lack of communication.

I think it would be really cool to see a Cassandra reveal and switch announcement at E3.

Now on the topic of link returning. I don't believe it is at all necessary. And a lot of people especially on the tournament scene dislike the idea of a console exclusive character. However I think that link would be a great pull for potential new fans. As we know SC2 brought in a lot of new people for being on a Nintendo console and having link. So we could see that again with VI. I also don't believe that link would have to be exclusive to the switch. It is likely that if he did appear that he would be available via DLC on other platforms. As we've seen with smash ultimate Nintendo is pretty open to the idea of sharing characters.

Once again though I don't believe adding link would be necesary for a switch port, just that if he did appear that he wouldn't need to be exclusive.

These are just my thoughts though.

I'm of the opinion that if Link was exclusive he would be banned from tournaments because effectively you're forcing other platform uses to buy a Switch just so they can get to grips with facing the character and if you do that then the Nintendo only owners who refuse to go outside the Nintendo ecosystem will not go to tournaments with them not being able to use Link. With that in mind it would be better to port the Gamecube version of SC2 to the Switch than doing SC6.

why would you want a version of the game that will have to have severely downgraded graphics when you already own it on a superior system anyway

While I couldn't care for a Switch version of SC6 I do see the advantage of a portable version of it if you travel a lot but as your primary version no way. The Nintendo demographic is not one for having a fighting game scene outside of Smash Bros and that's only as popular as it is because Nintendo owners are invested in Nintendo's ecosystem.

It is likely that if he did appear that he would be available via DLC on other platforms.
no, this wont happen EVER! i dont know how much you know about Nintendo but when it comes to their IP's, they are extremely careful and conservative on what they do with them, in other words waiting for Nintendo to give permission to PS and xbox to have Nintendo characters to appear on their platform is like waiting for pigs to fly, no other way around it.

I think the closest thing to Link being added to the game on a switch port is CaS equipment. And maybe an extra reskin of his sword and shield for Sophitia.

Back