Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

The game desperately needs more stages. Even if we get the one more to balance the selection screen, it will still be incredibly lacking. They havent even given us the Libra stage variants with the portals/red lighting, which given that they are already in the game, should be easy to implement and an obvious missed opportunity as unlockables from Libra mode.

This for me is one of the major let downs, despite how much I like the game as a whole.

The game desperately needs more stages. Even if we get the one more to balance the selection screen, it will still be incredibly lacking. They havent even given us the Libra stage variants with the portals/red lighting, which given that they are already in the game, should be easy to implement and an obvious missed opportunity as unlockables from Libra mode.

This for me is one of the major let downs, despite how much I like the game as a whole.
The problem with the libra variants is that they are mostly just "glowing bullshit in the sky" and a colour lens. But you do raise a broader issue with the stages in this game. Not only are they a fraction of the number included in past entries (I mean, literally, the very first Soulcalibur game had more....), more lackluster in detail and style, lacking in animism in the backgrounds, and especially neglectful of the dynamic and interactive elements that have always typified the series in the past and kept gameplay fresh--not only all of that, but in most past games, there have also been multiple configurations of most stages. Some stages had caged and uncaged variants, or up to four different platform sizes and shapes, or multiple environmental/atmospheric set-ups at least. Here once again, the current stages underwhelm, there being one simple static versions of each.

On a completely different topic: I really hope that when Rock and Hwang show up in Season 2, PS don't miss the opportunity to have some fun and give them Beserker and Assassin outfits as 2P configurations respectively, or just outfits that are vaguely suggestive of their moveset alter-egos, same as there have been some tongue-in-cheek references in some of the other alt costumes, like Sophitia Omega, and Mitsurugi cosplaying Arthur.

Last edited:
Happy Father's Day

Remind me when a DLC character for Fighting game has been announce at E3? Outside of Smash that is a special case

Tekken? Never , DBZF? Nope , MK? Nah, Street Fighter? Nitch, Marvel VS Capcom? Non
SamSho? Yes. They revealed their first dlc: Rimiruru.

Theres no rule either way, it's just up to the devs, and PS/Namco decided not to do a reveal, just like SamSho and Smash decided to do reveals.

Also, to perhaps tiptoe back into conspiracy theory territory, we have a tournament on the 21st of July, and a character whose birthday is the 20th of that same month....

Or they could say "patterns are dumb" and just reveal her whenever because they dont want us to actually have an idea of what they're doing. Keeps us on our toes.

While we are all waiting for Cassandra's arrival, do you think there will be anymore guess characters in Season 2 if that gets the green light (I mostly believe it already got the green light)? Who would make a good guess character and what move sets should they bring to the table? I think Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII would be a good guess character just to bring more "hype" for FFVII Remake's impending release in less than a year from now. I think it would be great to release him a month or so before FFVII Remake's release date so that the Soul series gets the spotlight much like 2B and Geralt brought new fans/players to this franchise helping SCVI achieve good sales so far. I know many SC purist don't want more guess characters but I think bringing one per season (hoping there is a season 3 and 4 as well) would help expose this franchise to many gamers that wouldn't buy this game to help make SCVII happen with a large budget.

Here is my idea of how Sephiroth would look like in this game, have his single wing attached (can remove in CaS) or even appear/disapear when using certain combos. He could have a fighting style made from a hybrid of Mitsu, Kilik, Nightmare and Devil Jin (using his wing for certain aerial attacks/grabs) and since his Masamune is quite long, that's where the hybrid moves of swipes (Mitsu), stabs (Kilik) and cleaving (Nightmare) would come together to form a unique fighting style fit for the One Winged Angel. He could also have Amy's speed for certain moves because in canon, Sephiroth is very fast and is above bullet timer like Ivy and Mitsu. There could also be a story similar to Geralt where Sephiroth opens the rift to travel to the world of SoulCalibur and how the heroes of the Soul series beat him back to his world.

Sephiroth.jpg

For his stage, I think Midgar would be great and have two versions where one is at nighttime and you see the city in the background prior to the firing of the Sister Ray cannon. The stage could be on Sister Ray itself and you would see the flaps moving around and the glowing energy flowing from the Mako Reactors in the background and it's raining too to add to the atmosphere. To make the stage more dynamic, it could progress as the rounds go on. For example, rounds 1-2 would be a normal settings where it's just raining and you see Shinra helicopters and such flying around in the background. For rounds 3-4, you would see the energy flowing from the Mako Reactors in the background and the flaps of Sister Ray moving around as it's charging up to fire. Then for the final round, it would be Sister Ray preparing to fire where you see the whirlpool of Mako energy swirling around the tip of the barrel and the flaps getting into position to fire and the rain intensifies. When the final KO happens, then Sister Ray fires to add that last touch of a dynamic stage during the celebration cutscene.

For the other version, it could be the destroyed city of Midgar and the arena is at the top of the Shinra headquarters building after it was sliced by Sephiroth during Advent Children and to add that Soul Calibur touch, you would also see a rift similar to the rift of the Astral Chaos stage in the sky above the city linking both worlds along with the hurricane looking weather in the movie. For a more dynamic stage, the first two rounds (out of 5) could be a normal clear sunny day. Then for the second and third rounds, you would see that swirling hurricane weather appear. For the final round, you would see lightning and the Astral Chaos rift growing bigger as your or your opponents health bar get lower. Then when the final KO happens, then you see the rift grow large enough where you see the Astral Chaos stage in the sky above the ruins of Midgar and see Nightmare standing there awaiting Sephiroth's arrival to claim Soul Edge to enslave the world of FFVII and devour the Lifestream full of souls .

For the song for his stage could be his iconic "One Winged Angel" from the original game.

Or for those wanting a more modern touch, then use his Advent Children version.

I think SE could even have a DLC side mission in FFVII Remake where Cloud and gang go through the Astral Chaos rift to stop Sephiroth from obtaining Soul Edge and you would run into the Soul characters in RPG form. Sephiroth would honestly love obtaining Soul Edge because that would be disastrous for the Lifestream that's full of souls of all who have ever lived. I honestly believe a SoulCalibur RPG would be epic.

Last edited:
While we are all waiting for Cassandra's arrival, do you think there will be anymore guess characters in Season 2 if that gets the green light (I mostly believe it already got the green light)? Who would make a good guess character and what move sets should they bring to the table? I think Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII would be a good guess character just to bring more "hype" for FFVII Remake's impending release in less than a year from now. I think it would be great to release him a month or so before FFVII Remake's release date so that the Soul series gets the spotlight much like 2B and Geralt brought new fans/players to this franchise helping SCVI achieve good sales so far. I know many SC purist don't want more guess characters but I think bringing one per season (hoping there is a season 3 and 4 as well) would help expose this franchise to many gamers that wouldn't buy this game to help make SCVII happen with a large budget.

Here is my idea of how Sephiroth would look like in this game, have his single wing attached (can remove in CaS) or even appear/disapear when using certain combos. He could have a fighting style made from a hybrid of Mitsu, Kilik, Nightmare and Devil Jin (using his wing for certain aerial attacks/grabs) and since his Masamune is quite long, that's where the hybrid moves of swipes (Mitsu), stabs (Kilik) and cleaving (Nightmare) would come together to form a unique fighting style fit for the One Winged Angel. He could also have Amy's speed for certain moves because in canon, Sephiroth is very fast and is above bullet timer like Ivy and Mitsu. There could also be a story similar to Geralt where Sephiroth opens the rift to travel to the world of SoulCalibur and how the heroes of the Soul series beat him back to his world.

View attachment 63109

For his stage, I think Midgar would be great and have two versions where one is at nighttime and you see the city in the background prior to the firing of the Sister Ray cannon. The stage could be on Sister Ray itself and you would see the flaps moving around and the glowing energy flowing from the Mako Reactors in the background and it's raining too to add to the atmosphere.

For the other version, it could be the destroyed city of Midgar and the arena is at the top of the Shinra headquarters building after it was sliced by Sephiroth during Advent Children and to add that Soul Calibur touch, you would also see a rift similar to the rift of the Astral Chaos stage in the sky above the city linking both worlds along with the hurricane looking weather in the movie.

For the song for his stage could be his iconic "One Winged Angel" from the original game.

Or for those wanting a more modern touch, then use his Advent Children version.

I think SE could even have a DLC side mission in FFVII Remake where Cloud and gang go through the Astral Chaos rift to stop Sephiroth from obtaining Soul Edge and you would run into the Soul characters in RPG form. I honestly believe a SoulCalibur RPG would be epic.
I don't know, I don't think Sephiroth is a particularly good fit with Soul Calibur. A character's moveset has to be in proportion to/stylistically consistent with what they can pull off in their own universe. While Soul Calibur characters certainly evidence considerable super human abilities in both regular gameplay and cinematics, I don't recall the last time that one of them chopped a skyscraper in half with a single casual sword stroke:

Or put more accurately, the Soulcalibur game engine just isn't capable of providing an environment and opportunity for the kind of scale and strength Sephiroth's abilities have had pretty much any time they've been artistically represented. Frankly, Sephiroth would fit in better with the the Dragon Ball Z fighter than he does in Soulcalibur--which is saying something, because the DBZ franchise is king when it comes to OP character nonsense.

If there were to be a FFVII import, I think the right choice would be Tifa: months back, in one of our SCVI threads, when I mentioned what a missed opportunity it was that Noctis was added into Tekken instead of Soulcalibur (leading to us getting the cheap knock-off on that theme, Azwel), someone else mentioned that Tifa would have been pretty damn ideal for Tekken. I think that's absolutely correct, but it did put a seed in my head: if Tekken can be given Noctis, there's no reason Tifa can't be worked into SoulCal. Her abilities are a little more in proportion to fighting a Soulcalibur character, she's always been animated with awesome style (it's looking like the SCVII remake is no different in this respect), and this game lacks a brawler--I always prefer when a Soulcalibur game has one un-armed style, particularly in that it opens up many more opportunities for CaS. Although, honestly, if Tifa were added to the game, I'd end up playing her vanilla version more than anything, because I really like that character, both as a narrative and stylistic matter.

The real issue there is timing. FFVII remake isn't even anticipated before 2020 at the earliest, and given the tendencies with SE projects in recent years, that could easily end up pushed back again and again. Meanwhile, while I wish it were otherwise, I think a third season pass for SCVI is probably a pipe dream. Meaning any guest would need to be in production now for Season 2. I think it's clear that is far too early for SE to be considering licensing for a game with such a carefully managed marketing campaign as the FFVII remake. What's more, we have pretty good indications as to who, if anybody, is likely to appear in a second season, if it comes to pass. Alas, I don't see any guests from Final Fantasy VII as realistic. Perhaps FFXIV? You would know better than I if there is anyone particularly popular, photogenic and consistent with Soulcalibur levels of power from that game. Perhaps the woman from your avatar? Although, mind you, I'm about as close to convinced as I can be that our six season 2 characters are the remaining six classic era SC characters.

Last edited:
SamSho? Yes. They revealed their first dlc: Rimiruru.

Theres no rule either way, it's just up to the devs, and PS/Namco decided not to do a reveal, just like SamSho and Smash decided to do reveals.

Also, to perhaps tiptoe back into conspiracy theory territory, we have a tournament on the 21st of July, and a character whose birthday is the 20th of that same month....

Or they could say "patterns are dumb" and just reveal her whenever because they dont want us to actually have an idea of what they're doing. Keeps us on our toes.

I meant about games that were out already, fighting games that aren't out yet of course it's to be expected to have a reveal, as many mentioned already E3 is focus for new games, and Samsho isn't out yet so of course it's an opportunity they reveal more about the game. SF, MK and others also revealed characters at E3 before it was out.

I meant about games that were out already ...

"Dead or Alive 6," though?
----

@Spartan_363
@Rusted Blade
I agree that Sephiroth is unlikely, but I don't think it's unlikely that we could see a FFVII character as a guest.

I don't think your comment, Rusted ("I think it's clear that is far too early for SE to be considering licensing for a game with such a carefully managed marketing campaign as the FFVII remake") holds up, as they loaned out Cloud for "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" (came out in December) and the FFVII remake has already had two cross-promotions with "Final Fantasy Mobius" over the past couple of years (granted, this one was internal to Square Enix).

As for who they would pick if this happened, it would probably be Cloud again. While Tifa would be more interesting from a diversifying-the-moveset perspective, Cloud is the more obvious choice for marketing purposes -- and Project Soul has wanted him since "Soulcalibur II."

"Dead or Alive 6," though?
----

@Spartan_363
@Rusted Blade
I agree that Sephiroth is unlikely, but I don't think it's unlikely that we could see a FFVII character as a guest.

I don't think your comment, Rusted ("I think it's clear that is far too early for SE to be considering licensing for a game with such a carefully managed marketing campaign as the FFVII remake") holds up, as they loaned out Cloud for "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate" (came out in December) and the FFVII remake has already had two cross-promotions with "Final Fantasy Mobius" over the past couple of years (granted, this one was internal to Square Enix).

As for who they would pick if this happened, it would probably be Cloud again. While Tifa would be more interesting from a diversifying-the-moveset perspective, Cloud is the more obvious choice for marketing purposes -- and Project Soul has wanted him since "Soulcalibur II."
Cloud would be dumb and boring, we already have two huge sword wielders.

Either her or Yuffie would make for interesting choices.
Yeah, but I'm a CaS fanatic, and my options are so much more limited with Yuffie's weapon. Whereas with Tifa I suddenly open any character I'd like to make that would fight unarmed. Plus I've always had that silly gamer crush on Tifa and made sure my Cloud went on the date with her, and always thought cloud was an idiot for liking the other chick more when he had Tifa available.

Too late to turn back the clock, but not too late to get an FF character in SC. =)
To this day, I'm still disappointed that we didn't get Lightning and Caius for SoulCalibur V. The timing was perfect, and I'm not saying Ezio wasn't a good choice, but Lightning and Caius would have been phenomenal, for a multitude of reasons.

They could also choose to promote Final Fantasy VIII Remaster instead, and we could get Squall for SoulCalibur VI, which might be pretty interesting.

Back