Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Yeah, that's another thing. Rusted Blade, you completely overreacted to what is supposed to be a fun, lighthearted joke. Of course I'm excited to see Cassandra's gameplay and what she brings to the table. Just because I enjoy sex appeal doesn't mean that's all that matters to me, but it is, well, appealing. Cassandra is likely going to have thick thighs, so I had fun with it.

Considering the attempt by journalists to shame Project Soul over Ivy's attire in a push to cover her up, R.Mika's butt slap camera change, Sony's recent in house censorship instead of leaving up to the legal system of each country and the recent confirmation that Square Enix Californian ethics committee told the developers to reduce Tifa's bust size for the FF7 remake I can honestly empathize with the reaction towards anyone criticizing their joy of fan service in a favorite game of theirs. Hasn't got anything to do with MRA's or even feminists, what's been happening in the gaming industry for the past decade is an erosion of sexual liberation in the name of social justice. Tyranny like that really rubs me up the wrong way.
What’s funny is that the DOA director even wonders why his series gets criticized for its sexuality and fan service while Soulcalibur on the other hand gets off the hook with it.

EB948744-BC5B-48BA-BF9F-7D13C77FFDE1.jpeg
A09DCF2E-3AA7-416E-8CE8-92D9477ED69E.jpeg

The link: https://twinfinite.net/2019/01/dead...s-fanservice-accessibility-dlc-and-much-more/

I’m not sure if we should be lucky that we were able to dodge a bullet on this, or sad that another FG franchise took a hit to its ability to offer fan service and was forced to tone down a thing like this. Let’s pray we’re not next on the chopping block.

Wow, dude. You got real issues here. As I said, this game is fantasy and there are far worse things than sex appeal. I'll never understand the double standard at play, where a game can feature blood and gore and no one bats an eye, but having sex appeal and suddenly people like you lose your minds.

It's almost like the majority of people who play these games are male, and that the majority of men are straight. Not almost, but exactly. Project Soul caters to their audience and treats those who don't like it as the unpleaseable vocal minority that they are. The so-called "gaming journalists" wanted so, so badly to get the game to bow to them and censor themselves, but they just can't.

Also, I'm not sure if you knew this, but fighting games are kind of a niche genre. They're made to be visually appealing in every way because they need to make the game as enticing as possible. And as said, nothing wrong with sexiness. I mean, would you rather than women look like this:

In all honesty, I don't get what you're problem is and why you're inflicting your issues on Soulcalibur of all games, a series that always took titillation in stride and was never for kids or feminists or whatever. Oh, and get this: women actually like sexiness. Just look at cosplay, or the internet, or anywhere. Not everyone is sex-negative.

And also, it was meant to be lighthearted fun, but of course YOU just have to get butthurt over it.

Good day.
We're not talking about the game, homie--Namco's free to calculate market factors and tweak their game design however they like. We're talking about whether or not the features you choose to fixate on are risible or not. For my part, I'm perfectly happy with the balance that the games strike--which should be clear, since I've continued to play them for nearly two and a half decades. Doesn't mean I have to hear you fixate on a character's thighs (and suggest its super important they get that aspect right) and then feel forbidden to point out how ridiculous that is. Yeah man, nothing's wrong with sexiness, but I personally don't find I get worked up over virtual t'n'a in video games. I also don't get hard-ons for cartoon characters, even if they look like Jessica Rabbit. I can't say for sure that I didn't have a different perspective when I was younger, but if I did, those feelings didn't survive the milestone of being able to interact with an actual woman's body. But that's just me. But I understand my hang-ups better now, thanks to you: if I've never jerked it to Bayonetta, I'm "sex-negative". Got it.

Also, and not for nothing, but Cassandra is like the weirdest possible target for that kind of attention. To the extent that Soulcalibur has always, like most of its fighting game contemporaries, included a degree of fan service in its style in order to cater to certain demographics (and we agree about that much at least, though some would say pander is the more accurate way to put it, and I'm somewhere between those two perspectives)--to the extent they do that, Cassandra is not exactly the poster child. Fetish-wear Ivy and smokey-eye Setsuka certainly do invite a certain reaction. But Cassie? Her thing has always been a brutal, hard-hitting aesthetic. In more than two decades of facing people maining Cassandra, including friends who didn't seem to realize there were other characters on the select screen in SCII-IV, I never once heard anyone discuss her thighs before the last six weeks, let alone have deeply-held convictions on the subject matter. But that's the internet for you.

Also, this is not relevant to any of the above, but what "blood and gore" are you talking about with regard to Soulcalibur, lol? I mean there's literally never been a single pixel of blood or gore in any Soulcalibur game, and literally never a game where it makes less sense or where the "violence" is more cartoonishly un-effective. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but putting a seven-foot-long/one-foot-wide sword through someone's head tends to be a bloody affair in the real world.

Yeah, that's another thing. Rusted Blade, you completely overreacted to what is supposed to be a fun, lighthearted joke. Of course I'm excited to see Cassandra's gameplay and what she brings to the table. Just because I enjoy sex appeal doesn't mean that's all that matters to me, but it is, well, appealing. Cassandra is likely going to have thick thighs, so I had fun with it.
Well, if you'd actually said something funny, I probably would have slapped a like on the post, not-withstanding our differences of opinion on the degree to which SC protagonists are reasonable subject of sexual fixation. Because I love me an off-colour joke. But if there was a joke there, it was lame and thus un-find-able. Just like the original 'Thicksandra' pun that inspired the recent trend towards fetishiszing Cassandra for weeks on end in this thread. Here's lesson for wannabe comedians: A) try something besides puns, B) if you still insist upon using a phonetic/portmanteau pun, be sure you understand how they actually work, because, uhhh, "thick" does not rhyme with "Cass", and there is therefore no joke whatsoever there...you're just smashing parts of two unrelated words together... More generally, if you want to get the witty person's discount that transforms something dumb you said into light-hearted fair, such that people won't make fun of your perspective, you need to get a lot funnier than that.

Last edited:
We're not talking about the game, homie--Namco's free to calculate market factors and tweak their game design however they like. We're talking about whether or not the features you choose to fixate on are risible or not. For my part, I'm perfectly happy with the balance that the games strike--which should be clear, since I've continued to play them for nearly two and a half decades. Doesn't mean I have to hear you fixate on a character's thighs (and suggest its super important they get that aspect right) and then feel forbidden to point out how ridiculous that is. Yeah man, nothing's wrong with sexiness, but I personally don't find I get worked up over virtual t'n'a in video games. I also don't get hard-ons for cartoon characters, even if they look like Jessica Rabbit. I can't say for sure that I didn't have a different perspective when I was younger, but if I did, those feelings didn't survive the milestone of being able to interact with an actual woman's body. But that's just me. But I understand my hang-ups better now, thanks to you: if I've never jerked it to Bayonetta, I'm "sex-negative". Got it.

Also, and not for nothing, but Cassandra is like the weirdest possible target for that kind of attention. To the extent that Soulcalibur has always, like most of its fighting game contemporaries, included a degree of fan service in its style in order to cater to certain demographics (and we agree about that much at least, though some would say pander is the more accurate way to put it, and I'm somewhere between those two perspectives)--to the extent they do that, Cassandra is not exactly the poster child. Fetish-wear Ivy and smokey-eye Setsuka certainly do invite a certain reaction. But Cassie? Her thing has always been a brutal, hard-hitting aesthetic. In more than two decades of facing people maining Cassandra, including friends who didn't seem to realize there were other characters on the select screen in SCII-IV, I never once heard anyone discuss her thighs before the last six weeks, let alone have deeply-held convictions on the subject matter. But that's the internet for you.

Also, this is not relevant to any of the above, but what "blood and gore" are you talking about with regard to Soulcalibur, lol? I mean there's literally never been a single pixel of blood or gore in any Soulcalibur game, and literally never a game where it makes less sense or where the "violence" is more cartoonishly un-effective. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but putting a seven-foot-long/one-foot-wide sword through someone's head tends to be a bloody affair in the real world.

Well, if you'd actually said something funny, I probably would have liked it, not-withstanding our differences of opinion on the degree to which SC protagonists are reasonable subject of sexual fixation. But if there was a joke there, it was lame and thus un-find-able. Just like the original 'Thicksandra' pun that inspired the recent trend towards fetishiszing Cassandra for weeks on end in this thread. Here's lesson for all you wannabe commedians: A) try something besides puns, B) if you insist upon using a phonetic/portmanteau pun, be sure you understand how they actually work, because, uhhh, "thick" does not rhyme with "Cass", and there is therefore no joke there...you're just smashing parts of two unrelated words together... In other words, if you want to get the comedian's discount that transforms something dumb you said into light-hearted fair, such that people won't make fun of your perspective, you need to get a lot funnier than that.
I'm labeling you a lost cause. You throw a temper tantrum over one joke that was in the name of good fun, and drag this whole thread down with you as you push your agenda. I'm done.

Surprised nobody has talked about this tweet. Okubo seems to be going to that tournament. Let's hope for the best (fingers crossed).
That's cool. When's the date again?

What’s funny is that the DOA director even wonders why his series gets criticized for its sexuality and fan service while Soulcalibur on the other hand gets off the hook with it.

I’m not sure if we should be lucky that we were able to dodge a bullet on this, or sad that another FG franchise took a hit to its ability to offer fan service and was forced to tone down a thing like this. Let’s pray we’re not next on the chopping block.
Didn't the director step down after this game? I wonder if he was forced to or not. DOA tried to play both sides rather than sticking to the people who actually buy their games, a fatal mistake.

So if I were to say I want to see Yun-Seong wearing nothing but a jockstrap over Cassandra's ass-checks attacks with a thong is that considered acceptable 8wayrun? No, both ideas are sexy and this is a stealth fanservice game and I am very eagerly open with Cassandra coming back with a large booty as well with Yun-Seong frolicking in nothing but undies. We are all friends here... right?

Didn't the director step down after this game? I wonder if he was forced to or not. DOA tried to play both sides rather than sticking to the people who actually buy their games, a fatal mistake.
I don’t know anything about that unfortunately. I get that a series always needs to bring newer players into the franchise, but when it came to specific audiences (minus its main audience).....yeah. It didn’t go too well.

I'm labeling you a lost cause. You throw a temper tantrum over one joke that was in the name of good fun, and drag this whole thread down with you as you push your agenda. I'm done.
LOL...so...
Person A: OMG, they better get Cassie's thigh jiggle right!
Person B: Uhh, that's really the thing foremost on your mind, which you thought we'd want to talk about on a hardcore player's forum? Not whether she's going to be balanced and tournament-capable?
Person A: OMG! You SJW, you sex-negative political correctness policeman who wants to censor the world and won't be happy until we all exist in a genderless dystopia, devoid of joy, pleasure, or meaning!
Person B: Yeah, no dude, I just think your priorities for the game are a little odd. Kinda stunted, if I'm blunt. That's all the comment was meant to suggest. No one recommended a purge of sexual content from this or any game, let alone the world at large. Some of us just have limits on how often we want to hear about how worked up you are about the exact size and shape of a video game character's thighs or tits, and if you keep randomly harping on those topics, you just might get made fun of now and again.
Person A: Gah, you're so hopeless, you sex-averse member of the moral mafia. I'm done with you. Anyway, I was just joking all along--you also don't get humor.
Person B: Yeah, I'm crushed that we can't continue this nuanced discussion.

LOL...so...
Person A: OMG, they better get Cassie's thigh jiggle right!
Person B: Uhh, that's really the thing foremost on your mind, which you thought we'd want to talk about on a hardcore player's forum? Not whether she's going to be balanced and tournament-capable?
Person A: OMG! You SJW, you sex-negative political correctness policeman who wants to censor the world and won't be happy until we all exist in a genderless dystopia, devoid of joy or meaning!
Person B: Yeah, no dude, I just think your priorities for the game are a little odd. Kinda stunted, if I'm blunt. That's all the comment was meant to suggest. No one recommended a purge of sexual content from this or any game, let alone the world at large. Some of us just have limits on how often we want to hear about how worked up you are about the exact size and shape of a video game character's thighs or tits, and if you keep randomly harping on those topics, you just might get made fun of now and again.
Person A: Gah, you're so hopeless, you sex-averse member of the moral mafia. I'm done with you. Anyway, I was just joking all along--you also don't get humor.
Person B: Yeah, I'm crushed that we can't continue this nuanced discussion.
Last I checked, I was the one who made the brief and witty joke just for fun. You're the one who went on a tirade over it and started this whole thing.

Last I checked, I was the one who made the brief and witty joke just for fun. You're the one who went on a tirade over it and started this whole thing.
No, I made a two sentence post that, yes, honestly was critical of your fixation, but nothing that remotely qualifies as a 'tirade.' You're the one who upped the ante by lobbing out one ad-hominem after another and insisting that no one could fail to see the value in talking about an animated character's thighs unless they just plain 'hate sexiness'.

But you know, the longer this keeps up, the more its going to dissolve towards flaming, without anything like a meeting of the minds occurring, so you're right: let's just drop it at this point. The only thing I can think to say by way of concession to reduce hard feelings is that I know that you have deeper opinions about the game beyond this superficial topic. I hope that suffices.

...everyone should have the joys of looking at peak human form in this game.
Or peak gimp form, for those who are digging what Voldo is putting out there. Hell, if Astaroth does it for you, that's your business. Just one exception: if you think Azwel is sexy, please keep it to yourself--I'm pretty certain there are at least cats buried underneath every such person's front porch.

Last edited:
So if I were to say I want to see Yun-Seong wearing nothing but a jockstrap over Cassandra's ass-checks attacks with a thong is that considered acceptable 8wayrun? No, both ideas are sexy and this is a stealth fanservice game and I am very eagerly open with Cassandra coming back with a large booty as well with Yun-Seong frolicking in nothing but undies. We are all friends here... right?
Give me slooty anything as long as its stylish. Speaking of which, I'm not a fan of Yun (I always loved Hwang)
But Yun Seongs 2P in SC2 looked great, I'm actually jealous he got it and not Hwang, the colors on that outfit are fantastic.

Knowing her namesake as the one who told truths but wasn’t believed, what if Cass is actually a red herring?
:sc3hwang1: Don't make me consider this delusional theory that I now want oh so badly to be true, I want my guy back.
At the same time, I'm missing Cassandra's attitude very badly...

Or peak gimp form, for those who are digging what Voldo is putting out there. Hell, if Astaroth does it for you, that's your business. Just one exception: if you think Azwel is sexy, please keep it to yourself--I'm pretty certain there are at least cats buried underneath every such person's front porch.
When the game came out I was dying initially to put every guy in Ivy's outfit for shock value then I realized I couldn't do it with the guys, the ridiculous factor just isn't there without the heels.

Last edited:
Back