Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

The only way I see them getting a sizable new player base is with a relaunch/expansion like dark resurrection or arcade edition SFV, etc

What I fear is how they'd likely tackle such a thing. Most people would want it free and the game isn't exactly in arcades so it doesn't work out in a way that is pleasing to both sides.

Regardless, if they release a huge update to the game and want to do a relaunch of sorts I'll be fine so long as it has more content and all past content comes with and at a slightly reduced price for people who own it. (Or consider the ownership of their DLC)

I'd expect they add quite a bit to the game though for doing such a release.
I do find it sad though that these games can't be updated quite in the same vein they were back when they were in arcades where there was a complete incentive on both sides.

I wonder what if Hwang:sc3hwang1: or another character instead of Cassandra :sc4cas1:will be revealed at EVO... :sc1liz1: :sc2yun2: :sc3set1::sc4hil1::sc4roc1::sc4alg1::sc5dam1::sc5vio1::sc5zwe1:...
just saying....

I only play Amy so far, if they want to put Hwang out there early, I'm not gonna stop them as it will finally give me some room to play someone else.
I'll be very shocked if its not Cass though, I'm seriously just expecting it to be her.

I doubt it will change from Cass though, I'm expecting they mostly want to keep S1 for same weapon characters that way S2 is overall more unique and attracts a broader audiance.

Sometimes I wonder if the "Bamco hates Soul Calibur" thing isn't true, but this sure as shit ain't one of those times. (EDIT: And Okubo himself retweeted Shen Chan's response. That's pretty sad.)
(SC6 is included in this sale by the way, so if you know anyone whose on the fence about trying it, now might be the time to convince them.)

Last edited:
It probably cost them next to nothing to produce SCVI and they still treat it like an ugly stepchild. I hate to be so negative but I can barely even stand to watch Tekken, let alone play it. DBFZ isn't terrible but it's coming up on its two year anniversary in January. If they really are abandoning SCVI like this they either don't care about the game or its fans or never intended to support it in any meaningful way. Very sad.

perhaps namco is really done with the game after cassandra, based on that tweet....

Aside from me being generally hopeful, this really isn't the most encouraging situation to see play out.
Its very disheartening, I'd say the most disheartening in a while. To point its not left me incredibly happy.

I'm really just going to stay on the hopeful side that they are genuinely idiots.

I hate to be so negative but I can barely even stand to watch Tekken, let alone play it. DBFZ isn't terrible but it's coming up on its two year anniversary in January. If they really are abandoning SCVI like this they either don't care about the game or its fans or never intended to support it in any meaningful way. Very sad.
I can't really blame you, watching Tekken for me isn't terrible but it eventually becomes an eyesore and some of the tactics like KBD are a bit of a joke and shouldn't even be in the game. Its also annoying since Tekken isn't even treated good enough either, all the characters have completely different faces every game now and barely resemble themselves, it becomes jarring and isn't nice to look at in my opinion.
I'll always like Tekken, but its a pity even that game doesn't get the greatest treatment when developed either. Soulcalibur 6 at least looks a million times better and the characters have literally, kept their faces.

Last time Tekken looked good imo was Tekken 4 and Tekken 5 DR.

I
Sometimes I wonder if the "Bamco hates Soul Calibur" thing isn't true, but this sure as shit ain't one of those times. (EDIT: And Okubo himself retweeted Shen Chan's response. That's pretty sad.)
(SC6 is included in this sale by the way, so if you know anyone whose on the fence about trying it, now might be the time to convince them.)

I @ed Harada on tweet and said the American BN Forgot something...

Response will be interesting as he usually has time to respond to nonsensical tweets about completely random things, requests and opinions.

On a slightly more optimistic note, SC6's standard and Deluxe Edition packages were updated around 8 hours ago according to SteamDB.
Judging from the update history, it looks like these packages were updated 4 days before the CaS DLCs were released. Assuming this is meant to be some sort of DLC release pattern, this puts Cassandra at the 5th, which is also a day after EVO.

Even tho this photo is from TGS 2017 I cannot resist to post it now in response.
Clipboard01.jpg

Since we're on the topic of how DLC announcements should be handled, it's time settle this with science... by making a poll!

There are only two options:
  • Everything shrouded in secrecy with months of silence until everything about a character is revealed in one event. Basically, what Namco is doing right now.
  • Character names revealed early (say, when season pass first became purchasable) with some kind of information about a character every month (for instance, artwork one month, screenshots the next, gameplay footage after that, and then finally the release after that).

Vote now! https://www.strawpoll.me/18408628
I think you're right to point out that this is a false dichotomy. Honestly, I don't mind about the timing of the DLC drops, and I could even come to accept their being so secretive about release dates, even up to this last one that has dragged for months and months now. But for fuck's sake, don't keep what the actual content is unannounced if you're going to be going that long about it. Reveal exactly what is coming from the outset and drop a photo or brief video clip every few moments in between the releases. There's just something contrived feeling about their desire to "surprise" us, even though they clearly know about the leaks and may have in fact intended them all along.

In any event, the entire way they seem to be approaching the marketing for this game feels like an effort to gin up word of mouth while still allowing them to spend as little as possible on the continuing development, such as to speed it up. And I understand why they have to carefully calculate the timing of drops to maintain enthusiasm for the core product and scale their continuing support development to demand. But their also sitting on top of the reveals and milking the situation grows tedious fast.

On a slightly more optimistic note, SC6's standard and Deluxe Edition packages were updated around 8 hours ago according to SteamDB.
Judging from the update history, it looks like these packages were updated 4 days before the CaS DLCs were released. Assuming this is meant to be some sort of DLC release pattern, this puts Cassandra at the 5th, which is also a day after EVO.
Seems a reasonably realistic possibility to me, especially when all indicators already pointed towards EVO. Come on Sassie Cassie!

I wonder if it's the same guy that was handling the account while dissing SC6 even back in January, i'm sorry but honestly at this point that guy/girl should've been fired by now. Anyone can do mistake but right there it really seems in purpose :/

Even tho this photo is from TGS 2017 I cannot resist to post it now in response.
View attachment 64241

I second this.

Legend has it that if at the darkest of times you do this to a Bamco logo at festive events, that great fortune will come your way as well as Season passes.

I shall also give them the finger and play my part in good fortune.
So far it gave us one sp so it's good

But to be honest I don't think I will support this game any more. Even if there will be a second pass I will just buy one or two characters that actually could interest me (that being Rock). Right now it seems obvious that Namco does not wish to give this game an actual support and only throws scraps at us even tho there is a clear that there is a good market for SC title. Right now I see only two options for the series - either NB grows a pair and invests in the title or it sells the rights to other company that will take it from a completely fresh angle.

Don't get me wrong - I love Soul Calibur but I will not let myself being bribed with scraps on a lowest possible budget just so NB can milk that last cent from the series

Last edited:
What time will the EVO finals air? I don’t usually watch competitive play live (I like to skip around, sue me) but I don’t want to miss the announcement.

Back