Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

How so? The only issue I know related to the Seong Mi-na picture is that the illustrator somehow forgot to include the "line" part of the artstyle to the picture.
Asta.jpgMina.jpg
For some reason, Windows is keying the pure white in the Astaroth and Mina images as transparent. But, only for those two. It looks okay if you open it in Photoshop. But, I don't know why Windows would glitch only for these two files unless there was something weird with them when they were saved.

I wouldn't take the customization seriously in SC4, I mean Yoshi's head in that game is a straight up cylinder under that head gear of his. As for SC5 I wouldn't be surprised it was forgotten about due to Viola being an alias of Amy and the detail slipped through the cracks.

Wait what? Is there a picture of cylinder head yoshimitsu?

View attachment 66413View attachment 66414
For some reason, Windows is keying the pure white in the Astaroth and Mina images as transparent. But, only for those two. It looks okay if you open it in Photoshop. But, I don't know why Windows would glitch only for these two files unless there was something weird with them when they were saved.
Huh, that's weird. I have no idea why that's happening, but I'm tempted to say it's just Windows being weird. The programs I have opened the images in show them just fine.

And here's the final set of promotional artwork I'm uploading, this time of SC4:

And so I have everything in one post, I'll repeat all the other links:
SC1 gallery upscaled:

SC3 gallery upscaled:

SC6 gallery upscaled:

SC2/3/Legends/UB promo artwork:

SC5 promo artwork:

I wouldn't take the customization seriously in SC4, I mean Yoshi's head in that game is a straight up cylinder under that head gear of his. As for SC5 I wouldn't be surprised it was forgotten about due to Viola being an alias of Amy and the detail slipped through the cracks.
What I found really annoying with the Creation in 4 was that you couldn’t use the default costumes/designs as a choice (minus Amy) for the main cast. Instead you had to use the 2P models (with some minor alterations here and there).

By far the worst part of SoulCalibur IV customization was Voldo's Aculeus Suit, because it eats like half of your equipment for no reason. And it was extra stupid because one of Cervantes's crew members wore it with other equipment, meaning it didn't need to do this, but it did anyway. It looked pretty cool, too, it could have had a lot of potential, but it was squandered.

What I found really annoying with the Creation in 4 was that you couldn’t use the default costumes/designs as a choice (minus Amy) for the main cast. Instead you had to use the 2P models (with some minor alterations here and there).
I agree... I still remember how disappointed I was, back like, 10 years ago when I first got SC4, and I went into the character creation menu and assumed I was going to have full access to default costume parts to mess with, only to find they weren't accessible. Oh, man, my younger self was so bummed. :'(

Edit: At the time, I had been hoping there was going to be a customization option to take that stupid crystal layer off Siegfried's armor so he didn't look like an effing popsicle, but alas... popsicle boi it was.:sc4sig1:

Edit 2: look how far SC6 has come in comparison to SC4!!! :D

Last edited:
Edit 2: look how far SC6 has come in comparison to SC4!!! :D
And yet, I'd argue (while being fully cognizant of the fact that I am going to be in the minority here) that SCIV was a better game, particularly where it comes to both the artistic design and the overall variety and amount of content--though that second balance may yet tip, with one and possibly two more seasons of DLC to come. There was just more meat on the bones for SCIV than with SCVI (particularly at launch but even up to the present day). And even in the single most complained about area of SCIV, it's speed, I think it is superior to VI: at least I wasn't pausing for minigames and cutscenes constantly in IV and could get into a rhythm with the nuts and bolts mechanics. I'll take marginally decreased step distance and 2-5% average increase in frames necessary for attacks over the newbie-friendly, pace-breaking mechanics of VI any day.

I don't know, VI just feels two dimensional to me. Other than playing to the desires of the lore obsessed (the cheapest possible thing they could focus on), I feel like I'm looking at a paper facade of a Soulcalibur game, if that makes any sense. Like if I push too hard my hand will go through it. Maybe that's too abstract a metaphor, but the point I'm driving at is that you can tell that the game was made on a budget (because of the lack of content, weak online implementation) and that large portions of it were outsourced (because it does feel generic in many respects). For all of IV's faults (and it had some) it still felt more like a Soulcalibur game to me. So for all of the ways that SCVI has genuinely come a long way (and the character editor progress discussed above is a part of that), I still feel this entry has failed to hit the quality or depth of the better legacy titles.

Edit: Though I will say another exception to that last point is VI's laudable increase in the average size and tactical options of the movesets: I may not always agree with the new gimmicks and I have serious qualms with the overall mechanics of combat in this entry, but the movesets themselves getting deeper and more nuanced on average is one this entry's bigger accomplishments. That goes some way to making up for the otherwise stilted gameplay and the initial lackluster roster size.

Last edited:
@Rusted Blade thank you for sharing; your responses are always very thoughtful and thorough. I understand to a degree (at least I think I do) what you mean about how SC6 is a paper facade of what a Soul Calibur game should be. I get that impression about VI sometimes myself.

I think a challenge that VI faces that IV did not is that VI is trying to rebuild, and to a degree, maybe reshape, the affect the series has, to get it back on people's minds after it was dead. It's a revival game; there weren't supposed to be anymore main entry SC games after SCV stunk it up. Plus, as you noted, it was made on a budget. I think naturally SCVI is just not going to have the same "feel" that older Caliburs did, not only because it simply might be too low budget to recreate the magic of the older games, but also because it's trying to reinvent and reimagine Soul Calibur 11 years after the last Soul Calibur (SCIV) that didn't feel like an unwanted dumpster fire the way SCV seemed to be for people.

Note: I don't think I've really shared this before, but I'll just explain that I perceive SCVI as a sort of "brand refresh" for this franchise. They wouldn't have needed to revisit the SC1 era and add new stuff/reveal untold stuff if they weren't trying to re-envision the content and redefine the franchise for players. At least in my head that's what I think, lmao.

Tl,dr: To me, SCVI is trying to rebuild and rebrand the image of Soul Calibur, so naturally it's going to feel differently than older Caliburs did, and the low budget is simultaneously going to make it feel a little hollow, too, sadly, hence the "paper facade" feeling you're (@Rusted Blade) getting.

Last edited:
Apart from some generic stages the artistic design in SC6 is better than SC4/SC5. SC4 and SC5 have an oppressive moody look and god awful face models for the most part (nearly everyone looks like a meth addict) and even though the music in SC6 is for the most part alright the sound design is the best in the series by a long shot as the impacts have a satisfying punch to them instead of the smashing pans and glass that you got in SC4. I think SC6 gets a lot of flack (and rightfully so) due to the lack of addition content like 2P costumes. For me the 2P costumes always served as alternatives to 1P costumes that may not be your cup of tea so them not being there hampers the artistic design regardless if the 1P costumes in SC6 are really strong. I'm hoping that season 2 will gradually add additional costumes over time so by the end of it the characters will have 2P costumes. When it comes to more interesting stages I think we're not going to get that until SC7. They will most likely be a priority for the dev team seeing as it's been a major complaint of SC6 to the point they even directly addressed the question and have publicly spoken about it several times that they would like to add more stages.

And yet, I'd argue (while being fully cognizant of the fact that I am going to be in the minority here) that SCIV was a better game, particularly where it comes to both the artistic design and the overall variety and amount of content--though that second balance may yet tip, with one and possibly two more seasons of DLC to come. There was just more meat on the bones for SCIV than with SCVI (particularly at launch but even up to the present day). And even in the single most complained about area of SCIV, it's speed, I think it is superior to VI: at least I wasn't pausing for minigames and cutscenes constantly in IV and could get into a rhythm with the nuts and bolts mechanics. I'll take marginally decreased step distance and 2-5% average increase in frames necessary for attacks over the newbie-friendly, pace-breaking mechanics of VI any day.

I don't know, VI just feels two dimensional to me. Other than playing to the desires of the lore obsessed (the cheapest possible thing they could focus on), I feel like I'm looking at a paper facade of a Soulcalibur game, if that makes any sense. Like if I push too hard my hand will go through it. Maybe that's too abstract a metaphor, but the point I'm driving at is that you can tell that the game was made on a budget (because of the lack of content, weak online implementation) and that large portions of it were outsourced (because it does feel generic in many respects). For all of IV's faults (and it had some) it still felt more like a Soulcalibur game to me. So for all of the ways that SCVI has genuinely come a long way (and the character editor progress discussed above is a part of that), I still feel this entry has failed to hit the quality or depth of the better legacy titles.

Edit: Though I will say another exception to that last point is VI's laudable increase in the average size and tactical options of the movesets: I may not always agree with the new gimmicks and I have serious qualms with the overall mechanics of combat in this entry, but the movesets themselves getting deeper and more nuanced on average is one this entry's bigger accomplishments. That goes some way to making up for the otherwise stilted gameplay and the initial lackluster roster size.

Hard agree from me, While SCVI is way better than SCV I really miss SCIV. Back in the day it was a really beautiful game with its dramatic lighting and I still think it holds up aesthetically, and music-wise it's my favourite in the series. Looking at mechanics I think SCIV was way above any other game in the series. The slower gameplay made for more thoughtful and exciting games, while there was still a good flow in the matches due to no rage-inducing cutscene interruptions in battle. I also liked the thought of discouraging turtling too much through critical finish, although that mechanic would have needed a bit of finetuning. All mechanics just seemed to drive you to find ways of being inventive and exciting in gameplay, the characters were different but not onedimensionally gimmicky like in VI, and there were ample options to play defensively and strategically but strong incentives to not overdo that kind of play.
PS could have kept the SCIV mechanics but just nudge up stepping speed a little bit and do some tuning of the critical finish mechanic, and they would have had the perfect SC gameplay in my mind.
Another thing which makes me long for the SCIV days for me is online play. While the netcode was atrocious it was so much more fun then when people actually played in casual rooms and ranked was rightfully despised as a very inexact measure of skill. Now no one plays casual, everyone plays ranked and has even started taking it seriously enough to give rise to the moronic notion of CaS characters having an effect of match outcomes.

Hard agree from me, While SCVI is way better than SCV I really miss SCIV. Back in the day it was a really beautiful game with its dramatic lighting and I still think it holds up aesthetically, and music-wise it's my favourite in the series. Looking at mechanics I think SCIV was way above any other game in the series. The slower gameplay made for more thoughtful and exciting games, while there was still a good flow in the matches due to no rage-inducing cutscene interruptions in battle. I also liked the thought of discouraging turtling too much through critical finish, although that mechanic would have needed a bit of finetuning. All mechanics just seemed to drive you to find ways of being inventive and exciting in gameplay, the characters were different but not onedimensionally gimmicky like in VI, and there were ample options to play defensively and strategically but strong incentives to not overdo that kind of play.
PS could have kept the SCIV mechanics but just nudge up stepping speed a little bit and do some tuning of the critical finish mechanic, and they would have had the perfect SC gameplay in my mind.
Another thing which makes me long for the SCIV days for me is online play. While the netcode was atrocious it was so much more fun then when people actually played in casual rooms and ranked was rightfully despised as a very inexact measure of skill. Now no one plays casual, everyone plays ranked and has even started taking it seriously enough to give rise to the moronic notion of CaS characters having an effect of match outcomes.
It's probably not a popular opinion, but I would have rather seen Critical Finishes be fine-tuned than Critical Edges added. CFs felt like a very unique mechanic you didn't see in other fighting games, and I think it fit SC as it has the same theme as ring-outs (a way of defeating the opponent which has nothing to do with reducing their health bar to 0). But Critical Edges are the same thing as supers you already have in all other fighting games, and I think they're also partially responsible for combos becoming longer in SC5/6 which is a trend I'm personally not a fan of.

That said, CFs definitely needed to be tweaked in some major ways. I like the concept of them, but their implementation in SC4 was flawed.

I have my own thoughts on SCIV after looking back at it. And let’s just say they’re quite different from what some of you guys are saying rn. So I’m just going to put this in a spoiler tag for those who may not like what I have to say about it. So don’t read the spoiler if you’re squeamish towards a differing opinion or if you are just a kid who doesn’t know any better. You have been warned.
I honestly don’t think SCIV has aged well. I’m not a big fan of the slower movement in IV and it feels like it takes away from the game operating on a 3D plain.

For the graphics themselves, the stages honestly still look pretty nice and with some fun attention to detail such as the hungry Lizardmen on Astaroth’s stage. But the character models look pretty bad. Faces look like they’re constantly drinking coffee or on crack and the bodies look as if they’re always covered in grease or sweat. This game imo also has some of the worst designs for the cast I’ve seen in the series. Ivy, Siegfried, Voldo, and Astaroth in particular look especially terrible.

I do like that the roster is pretty faithful for the most part. But the balance between the cast was godawful. The fact that Hilde had a Doom Combo that RO’d you from halfway across the stage was stupid. As for the Star Wars guests, I’m not going to beat a dead horse on about their inclusion within the game (though Vader I didn’t mind too much).

In terms of the mechanics the Critical Finish felt pretty strung along. And you couldn’t take advantage of it at all unless you were using Ivy or Voldo because their attacks shredded the guard gauge. The guard crush as a whole was just nothandled that well in SCIV since it just took so long to get the crush active.

Online, another dead horse to beat. Lag was atrocious, 1A’s were almost unblockable. ‘Nuff said.
It generally feels ever since SCIV they’ve been introducing mechanics that sound good on paper but have terrible execution. In SCIV you have the Critical Finish which people rarely used. In SCV there was Just Guard which was busted for the massive frame advantage you get upon using. And now in SCVI you have Reversal Edge which is a complete pace killer and just not fun to use at all.

Back