Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I'm on about the opening cinematic, I don't know anything about the comic.
Well then that's definitely Soul Edge, right? Just in a pre-Nightmare/Pre-Cervantes/Pre-who-knows form? And no, no comic (that I know of anyways) but aren't there some roughly sketched cutscenes in the story modes? Or am I entangling my memories of IV and Broken Destiny? Anyway, I thought one of those might have been what you were getting at, because I'm like 97% sure that the sword in the SCIV opening cinematic is Soul Edge.

Well, Algol happening still can't be called an impossibility as is, albeit unlikely. At the same time, isn't it generally thought that his style was evolved from the wave swords moveset in the first place? All the same, while I'd like him to come back, him coming back using wave swords wouldn't sit right in part for him never having been portrayed to fight with a style like Revenant's, and because ditching an existing character's actual style completely would as others mentioned be a very questionable move.

That would alienate those who are fans of playing him, and if we're taking story context, isn't even possible for him to exist in a pre-Astral Chaos imprisonment state since he's known to be from ancient times that was long before even Zasalamel's tribe that's long-forgotten by most anyone at the current story point. Would be a little weird having a character representing themselves at a timeframe who knows how many hundreds of years or so before the rest, though seeing him wield SE (Nauplius) in his unique way would be interesting.

As for his style not working on CaS, they absolutely would have no ground to excuse not making him CaS enabled when literally every style that isn't Inferno can be, including Azwel who is functionally similar to Algol. That wouldn't sit right for anyone I'm sure to suddenly see a character we can play, online and all, yet unable to put on a CaS when the rest can be. In the past I'd guess the reason would have been some kind of technical issue, as I remember hex editing his style onto other characters or CaS would lead to almost if not all of his weaponry being invisible. This was circumvented through modding like J-tagged Xbox 360s and such by a few people far as I'm aware, but no idea how far that went. Now though? Azwel alone proves it can be done now for sure.

Hopefully we get a surprise and have the 3rd DLC character this month.
I wouldn't expect the 3rd character to be released this month, but I do hope to see a trailer...
A trailer is certainly a more realistic possibility, but still not terribly likely, in my estimation. Haohmaru just dropped, and the timetable on these has been between three and four months between releases, with the trailer preceeding by a span of weeks that has varied between 2-6, as best I can recall? And that was definitely under much more ideal production condition, so I don't think this is the time where they are going to buck the trend and get the content out in a rushed condition; it seems we may very well have more Tekken content coming, and if that is so, any relief help that might have been coming from Tekken staff being re-assigned temporarily to PS will be minimal, if there is an at all. Unfortunately, when you consider both past precedent and the current circumstances, it's not very realistic to hope for a third character release this month, and I'd be genuinely surprised to see even a trailer before 6-8 weeks from now.

Which does very much suck; I've never played a character less who I was this excited to see come back. Maybe it's the classic character vibe, the promise of increased moveset/gameplay diversity, or the vicarious excitement for a segment of the SoulCal community that has been waiting for this for so long, but I can't wait for Setsuka to come back. I mean, I presume it will be Setsuka first. And most people seem to as well at this point, so they have to know that Setsuka third, Hwang fourth is the path of least salt production, you'd think. though personally I'd be thrilled with either.

I know this is a massive assumption but I genuinely think that because of the good will from the Calibur community, this has motivated the developers to try and bring back characters that would have been unthinkable for all of us less than a year ago. We're in a pretty unique position to get a dream game with everyone in it, I just hope the higher ups who green light the funding see this too. With Harada as head of the fighting game division, I imagine his position will make this more a possibility than not.

It also doesn't hurt that the soulcalibur community is mostly very nice to Okubo and Project Soul/Bamco.

They spend most of the "twitter toxicity" launching jabs and insults towards each other instead! Kappa

I know this is a massive assumption but I genuinely think that because of the good will from the Calibur community, this has motivated the developers to try and bring back characters that would have been unthinkable for all of us less than a year ago. We're in a pretty unique position to get a dream game with everyone in it, I just hope the higher ups who green light the funding see this too. With Harada as head of the fighting game division, I imagine his position will make this more a possibility than not.
While I wouldn't say good will is irrelevant, I think the decision can be better explained in terms of market factors. Past developers would have wanted to include as many legacy characters as possible, no doubt, but they would have lacked the ability to circumvent the fact that with a base game's price point being set in most markets, they could only develop within a budget that matched what the publisher's market research division suggested would be the resulting sales, with no ability to calibrate the game more finely to demand. Now, for more than a decade, there was a technical solution to sidestep this issue: the very method they are pursuing today of extensive post release support via iterative DLC drops.

But unfortunately, for reasons that were often ill-considered and of the shooting-yourself-in-the-foot variety, many consumers in the gaming community were adamantly opposed to getting on board with such models. But now that consumers are slowly being won over to this model of distribution as a means to get fuller games by virtue of paying a little more to developers who would otherwise struggle to make a profit, and also allow for that support to be tapered to demand such that the developer does not go out as much on a limb, of course they are happy to try to satisfy as many people as possible as long as possible. But I'm sure that would be equally the case even if they had a fan base of players who were not as engaged and vocal about their support with the devs, provided that sales were still being made--and similarly, all of the zeal from a small number of engaged and loyal fans would count for very little in getting extra DLC green-lit, if people weren't buying it. So I'd say the good vibes going back to devs and the continuing support are both consequences of the success of the game with fans (enabled by the new approach to the development and sales cycle), rather than one causing the other.

But unfortunately, for reasons that were often ill-considered and of the shooting-yourself-in-the-foot variety, many consumers in the gaming community were adamantly opposed to getting on board with such models. But now that consumers are slowly being won over to this model of distribution as a means to get fuller games by virtue of paying a little more to developers who would otherwise struggle to make a profit...
Capcom's on disk "DLCs" didn't help to build up any goodwill in the past, also even today things like DoA6 season passes for $90 don't help either.
Thankfully Project Soul mostly deliver DLCs in the right fair way, Tira debacle and occasional questionable CaS Pack selections aside.

Capcom's on disk "DLCs" didn't help to build up any goodwill in the past, also even today things like DoA6 season passes for $90 don't help either.
Thankfully Project Soul mostly deliver DLCs in the right fair way, Tira debacle and occasional questionable CaS Pack selections aside.
Well, I'm half on the same page as you there: without question, there are some industry practices from certain market players about ten years ago that go a long way to explaining why consumers got their backs up and became reluctant or outright intractable about new content delivery models. In more recent years, I've often described the more entitled, irrational behaviours of consumers when it comes to this sort of thing as a Frankenstein's monster of the industry's own creation: certain companies (cough EA, cough Activision) pushed the limits on how they charged for content so much in such a short period (and with a type of consumer who knew how to organize and push back online, no less) that they created an immense overcorrection in the other direction, where even the vast majority of reasonable companies employing reasonable practices got opposed by consumers--even where said practices would have given them more of what they asked for at a price that was more feasible for the developers and publishers.

Multiple season passes for a fighter is the perfect example of exactly this sort of thing: it would have been great (for producers and consumers alike) if this had become more the standard ten years ago, but up until just recently, the average fighting genre gamer was still bitching about it. And this is where our opinions may well diverge based on your previous post, because I personally have absolutely zero per se opposition to on-disc DLC. By which I mean that in many (probably most) cases, the opposition to day one DLC is irrational and unfair. In order to be absolutely clear as to why I think these complaints are typically whiny and entitled (as opposed to legitimate gripes), and where I think the exact line between fair and exploitative business practices is, consider how most sales transactions work as both a legal and practical matter, with the following example:

Suppose I hire an expert artisan to craft me a chess board, and let's say for the sake of symmetry he is carving each piece to look like Soulcalibur characters. Now, he and I both agree that I will get 32 pieces in addition to the board, plus four extra replacements pawns, and the total price I agree to pay is £200. Now let's say that when I show up, I notice that there are actually ten extra pawns and they've all been set together, and the craftsman says "Yeah, I was really enjoying carving those guys and had the extra material, so I made half a dozen extra, and I'll sell them to you for any extra $25." Now, if I started objecting "Wait, what? You want me to pay more for the extra product?! But, but--you made them at the same time! They are already finished! They're mine, you OWE those extra pieces to me without extra charge!" then any rational person who is used to buying and selling goods of any sort in the modern world would immediately recognize how unreasonable this behaviour is under normal marketplace standards. I'm still getting something that I already agreed was a fair deal, and just because the seller had more of a similar and related product at the same time I am about to complete the initial purchase does not mean I am instantly entitled to that extra product.

And yet somehow, gamers (as consumers of digital media) have convinced themselves that the default position is that they are entitled to all content that was finished for a given game at the time the game drops. But why? That's not remotely rational or reasonable. Just because that work was done by a certain point in time does not mean the company is required to give it to us on our terms. The only question the consumer ought to be asking themselves is "At the moment in time that I am buying this base product, does it represent reasonable value for what I am paying?" If the answer is yes, then said consumer should buy it and shut up about being asked to pay something for anything else that is also made available (whenever it was made and regardless of whether or not it is already on the disc/in the day-one data pack). And if they decide that the base product is not a good deal...then just shouldn't buy it.

So, for a more concrete example, when SCVI launched with 21 characters in the base game and Tira on the disc but available as paid DLC just a few days later, then every potential Soulcalibur consumer could easily research what was included in the base product and decide if those 21 characters (plus all of the rest of the core game's content) is worth the purchase price of £60 (or whatever they paid). And then they can do the same analysis for Tira and/or any other DLC content. What is not reasonable, in my opinion, is to pitch a fit because the Tira DLC happened to be done at that moment in time and is related to the core product. Day-one DLC is really only a problem if and when the publisher starts to hold back so much content that the core product becomes no longer worth the asking price. And even in that case, the consumer is free to walk away and just refuse to pay that price, or wait to see what people say about the value, or wait for a sale, ect.--all of the same rights and opportunities they normally have as someone who buys a content license.

When the work on the DLC/extra charge content was finished should only ever be a point of interest for the producer, provided that the consumer has decided the rest f the day-one package is worth buying at the asking price. And in fact, in most situations, it is immensely stupid for us as consumers to bitch about it too much, since the only thing companies will start to do differently is that they will hide the fact that the content is done on launch day, and wait a couple of months to avoid the entitled whining by releasing the content then. In other words, if we don't start to discourage these attitudes and foster a more reasonable transactional analysis, the only thing we will get out of allowing unreasonable complatins is that companies will sit on content that we otherwise would have had the option of buying on day one. In other words, very much the kind of shoot-yourself-in-the-foot attitude I was referring to in my previous post.

Last edited:
Tira being cut content for DLC is disappointing, but the time to care about that has ended a long time ago. Bamco always has some sort of day one DLC with their fighters now.

I wish I could care more about the S2 creation packs being underwhelming, but I've been prepared for that ever since I saw the price of S2. It was only $4 more expensive than Season 1. With such a small jump in price I knew that they was going to be a reason, which ended up with the packs being smaller and cheaper. (creation packs A and B $6 each but packs C, D and the future ones are $4 each)

Suppose I hire an expert artisan to craft me a chess board, and let's say for the sake of symmetry he is carving each piece to look like Soulcalibur characters. Now, he and I both agree that I will get 32 pieces in addition to the board, plus four extra replacements pawns, and the total price I agree to pay is £200. Now let's say that when I show up, I notice that there are actually ten extra pawns and they've all been set together, and the craftsman says "Yeah, I was really enjoying carving those guys and had the extra material, so I made half a dozen extra, and I'll sell them to you for any extra $25."
Here is in my opinion a better analogy considering on disc DLCs.
Let's say you want to buy a house. You contact a real estate agent and he shows you a nice home with a lawn and a picked fence, he gives you an excursion for half an hour and everything looks good, so you decide you like the place and pay in full, the house is now yours. Next day you get down into the basement to drop some stuff and see something you haven't noticed before: there is actually a shady looking door in the far wall with a built-in code lock. So you call your agent and ask if he's aware about the door and he says yes, sure he is aware and he also knows there is a secret room there as big as the basement you currently have access to. Next you ask him if he knows the code and sure thing he does... but he won't tell you unless you cash out $20K. The house is yours, the piece of land it is built on is yours, everything in the house is yours including all doors and rooms, yet the guy is still demanding you pay to get access to things you already posses.
Any rational person who is used to buying and selling goods of any sort in the modern world would immediately recognize how unreasonable this behaviour is under normal marketplace standards.

Here is in my opinion a better analogy considering on disc DLCs.
Let's say you want to buy a house. You contact a real estate agent and he shows you a nice home with a lawn and a picked fence, he gives you an excursion for half an hour and everything looks good, so you decide you like the place and pay in full, the house is now yours. Next day you get down into the basement to drop some stuff and see something you haven't noticed before: there is actually a shady looking door in the far wall with a built-in code lock. So you call your agent and ask if he's aware about the door and he says yes, sure he is aware and he also knows there is a secret room there as big as the basement you currently have access to. Next you ask him if he knows the code and sure thing he does... but he won't tell you unless you cash out $20K. The house is yours, the piece of land it is built on is yours, everything in the house is yours including all doors and rooms, yet the guy is still demanding you pay to get access to things you already posses.
Any rational person who is used to buying and selling goods of any sort in the modern world would immediately recognize how unreasonable this behaviour is under normal marketplace standards.
No, I'm sorry man, but that's absolutely a false analogy/non-sequitur. If you bought the base game for SCVI at the flat price and the next day you also decide to buy the first DLC, you haven't been deprived of anything with regard to your original purpose. And in any event, they didn't hide so much as a single thing from you: you were perfectly capable of doing due diligence in researching the content (or not), but they can't be blamed for your having been surprised that there was something extra--and even if they could that still would not mean you were entitled to it for free.

Which is why, as a matter of law under both statutory and common law, the situation you describe is not allowed: if you purchase a property and you end up with an extra room as windfall, the seller cannot unreasonably seek to deprive you of your enjoyment of that windfall as regards that singular piece of property, nor seek extra remuneration/consideration beyond what was initially bargained for. But in the case of the purchase of the licenses for a core game and an immediately available piece of DLC, the law treats those things as exactly what they clearly are: separate pieces of property (albeit what is called 'intangible' property) acquired by separate transactions. In your house analogy, you willingly entered into one transaction, you just had what is called a material misunderstanding about what you were getting. In the real world example of someone buying but the core game and a piece of DLC, they willingly purchase two products individually, without any material misunderstanding and without being misled as to what they are purchasing.

The more accurate/tracking analogy using your basic set-up is if you arrived at your new home and found an RV still parked there: you can of course demand it be moved immediately, but if you don't now own it by default, and if you want to own it, you need to arrange that additional purchase--because of course you do.

Last edited:
No, I'm sorry man, but that's absolutely a false analogy/non-sequitur. If you bought the base game for SCVI at the flat price and the next day you also decide to buy the first DLC, you haven't been deprived of anything with regard to your original purpose.
I was mostly talking about Capcom's on disc "DLCs" from 10 years ago. By definition, if something is on disc, it's not really DLC at all.

I was mostly talking about Capcom's on disc "DLCs" from 10 years ago. By definition, if something is on disc, it's not really DLC at all.
True enough, but the term DLC is often used idiomatically these days. The ultimate point is that you have two purchases: a core product and peripheral product. But just to try to put us more on the same page, I think it's useful to consider the older (and yes, sometimes less defensible) practices in this area. If a company pushes the line on holding back content they have already developed to such an extreme extent that you are no longer getting a value which matches what they want you to pay for it, then yes, that absolutely becomes a problem. But in that situation you already have a solution: vote with your dollars and just don't buy any of the product, or wait until its pricepoint drops to something that is more reasonable for you.

Now needless to say, whether that product is worth that asking price is a matter of a great deal of personal variance--but that can be true of any game at release, regardless of whether or not content was withheld with an eye towards releasing it as DLC. And the mental calculus on what you are getting with the core release should be same: it should be evaluated by the consumer on its own terms and a decision made on each product/transaction's own merits. That's the way you keep companies honest and from running away with the farm when it comes to reducing the amount of content that you get out of the gate. Or rather, smart consumer spending and competition between different products in the market space (in other words, typical market forces) help to keep them from getting too greedy and holding too much back.

For example, in my case, I was perfectly happy to pay $60 for the core game and $20 for each season pass (and to accept Tira as a day one peripheral product as part of one of those season passes) the day they each became available. And that's despite the fact that I am somewhat tight with my game money these days: after decades of collecting, free with gold/psn plus games and steam/marketplace sales, I own many thousands of games--the vast, vast majority of which I have not exhaustively played (hell, there's got to be hundreds I haven't even loaded up), so I have a hard time justifying paying full price for new games and usually wait for sales or freebies, and even then I have to really talk myself into buying them, even though I could afford to spend more, because I just have so much already and I try not to be irresponsible with my money, no matter how much I am making.

But not with Soulcalibur: with any mainline SC game, even one that I was initially ho-hum on like SCVI, I know for a fact that I am going to be playing hundreds if not thousands of hours of value out of that game over the following years, and I was just constantly refreshing those store screens to buy not one but multiple copies of the game on multiple platforms when VI was released. Now I recognize that I am not necessarily the average consumer in this regard, and that others might look at what they are being offered on the first day and question the value. But my overarching point is that such doubt and hesitation on the purchase is the appropriate way to approach that situation: buy or don't buy the core product if you feel like what they withheld for the day one peripheral product was necesary value to make the core product worthwile. And by all means, let other consumers/the company know if you feel the deal is not fair. The aggregate responses of the consumers will set the ultimate pricepoint, as with any case of product demand.

What is not really appropriate in my book is to whinge about the company packaging their work into two different products: we aren't entitled to make them sell to us on our terms. In other words, it doesn't matter what is or is not on the disc: afterall, when you buy a game today, what you are paying for isn't really the physical medium the product is loaded on, but rather a license to use the software (or in the case of core game and a peripheral product, two licenses). What matters is whether you are being offered a reasonable deal on each purchase. In other words, it is no different than a typical commercial exchange, or set of exchanges.

That's by no means a perfect system: some companies are always going to push the line, but again, that's a consideration that exists regardless of DLC. The only situation where I think the consumer genuinely gets to complain about something being saved for day one DLC is if the developer or publisher previously represented that said content would be in the base game, and one acts in reliance on that fact as a part of their decision to make the purchase, believing (at the time they make that purchase) they will get that extra content. But of course, in that scenario, that's just a straight up case of false advertising and you typically have legal recourse in those situations, provided that you genuinely believed your purchase included that product and that belief was a reasonable one based on past representations from the seller.

Last edited:
But in that situation you already have a solution: vote with your dollars and just don't buy any of the product, or wait until its pricepoint drops to something that is more reasonable for you.
What is not really appropriate in my book is to whinge about the company packaging their work into two different products: we aren't entitled to make them sell to us on our terms.
Why not both? We can in fact vote with our wallets and whine and cry online about our reasons for doing so. If we only withhold our money and don't tell anyone why, publishers might learn a completely wrong lesson from the whole experience and try to change something else that was not broken to begin with instead of addressing the actual issue preventing people from purchasing their stuff, not helping at all at best, making things even worse with bad alterations nobody asked for at worst.
Making people sell to us on our terms is only possible by putting a gun to someone's head or at least issuing actual violent threats online or doxing and so on. Merely whining on forums is a fair game as well as merely calling companies and people names. We express our whishes, publishers can choose to adhere to those or ignore them and maybe face the vote with our wallet consequences.
In other words, it doesn't matter what is or is not on the disc: afterall, when you buy a game today, what you are paying for isn't really the physical medium the product is loaded on...
I disagree, I think it does matter or at least it absolutely should. A line has to be drawn somewhere unless we want our rights eroded by companies constantly pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable further and further little by little to their advantage. What is or is not on the disc is a perfect objective visible clear distinction such a line can be drawn at. It's not vague and for that reason it's useful and good.

Why not both? We can in fact vote with our wallets and whine and cry online about our reasons for doing so. If we only withhold our money and don't tell anyone why, publishers might learn a completely wrong lesson from the whole experience and try to change something else that was not broken to begin with instead of addressing the actual issue preventing people from purchasing their stuff, not helping at all at best, making things even worse with bad alterations nobody asked for at worst.
Making people sell to us on our terms is only possible by putting a gun to someone's head or at least issuing actual violent threats online or doxing and so on. Merely whining on forums is a fair game as well as merely calling companies and people names. We express our whishes, publishers can choose to adhere to those or ignore them and maybe face the vote with our wallet consequences.
Well, I'm not saying don't complain: you absolutely should let a company know if they are not meeting your expectations. I'm just saying one form of complaint/expectation is vastly more reasonable than the other: Saying "I don't feel you are giving us enough here: I really need at least 22 characters to feel like spending $60--you should have added Tira to the base game and now I am not sure about buying the product at the current price." is completely reasonable. Saying "You already did the work of making Tira--therefore, I am entitled to her as a part of the core game." is not really rational or reasonable. And I think the distinction is an important one when we try to gauge where our response has jumped the train from reasonable and logical consumer push-back based on an analytical assessment of actual value received, and just bitching because we "feel" like it should be ours because its done now.

I disagree, I think it does matter or at least it absolutely should. A line has to be drawn somewhere unless we want our rights eroded by companies constantly pushing the boundaries of what's acceptable further and further little by little to their advantage. What is or is not on the disc is a perfect objective visible clear distinction such a line can be drawn at. It's not vague and for that reason it's useful and good.
Eh, I'm sorry man: I really appreciate that we are able to discuss this civilly despite very different views and I don't by any means wish to change that, but if I am blunt, describing this as an "erosion of rights" is both inaccurate and histrionic: there is no such thing as a "right to force all work on a product done by Day X to be included in the base product." There never has been such a right, and trying to create and enforce such a right would actually step all over all manner of actual deeply important property rights that underpin modern commerce and law.

And I'm by no means a free market absolutist--I do think some things need to be exempted from market forces in certain ways. But this definetly is not one of those cases. Look, the company knows how much it cost them to do the amount of work they have accomplished by launch day they know what they can afford to sell it at, and they know what the consumer is likely to pay under present circumstances--and they have every right (as both a legal and more general fairplay matter) to divide that product up for sale however they wish--that is their legal and practical prerogative as the seller and they shouldn't be shamed by entitled gamers who have decided (in a fashion contrary to how literally all other commerce works everywhere in the modern world) that just because something is finished, the player is entitled to get everything at one flat rate which cannot ever change.The "it's done/it's on the disc" standard is just an arbitrary and counter-productive measure based on how we have been lucky to have been treated for decades now.

Here's the thing: game development costs have gone up by a factor of about twenty over the last thirty years, on average. But the price that a publisher can ask for a base game has stayed stagnant over that time. Companies can't continue to produce quality products if their production costs are subject to inflation but their per-unit sales price is not--that's just basic economics. That's precisely why we have day-one DLC and premium editions for some games; its not just unfettered greed on the part of the developers. Of course it may be on the part of some companies, but it doesn't accurately describe what is going on in the industry right now at large. Which is precisely the reason why you have to do the value-received-for-price-paid analysis for every product you buy as a consumer, and should share your opinions with others. But an arbitrary "it's done=I get it" standard doesn't track rationally and its not reasonable to brand a company as trodding on our 'rights' if they refuse to bow before that sentiment. It's just not reasonable.

And regardless of what we think we are owed, I'll repeat the other salient point: demanding that companies adopt that standard and making a stink when they don't will only lead to them sitting on top of content for a few months, even if it is already finished at launch. So you still won't get that character at launch and the only change you will have affected will be to keep those who were willing to pay for it day one from being able to. So it's also very much a cutting-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face position for the community at large to take. we're much better off understanding that sometimes companies have legitimate reasons for reserving content that is already finished for a peripheral product, and just trying to judge, on a case by case basis, whether or not the rest of the content in the base game justifies the asking price for that product.

Back