Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Especially considering there’s more interesting potential characters to pull from Final Fantasy, such as a dagger user in Zidane (dual) or Vaan (solo with shield), or a pure spear user in any of the Dragoons, or maybe even something totally out of left field like Bartz or Ramza, omniclass folks who could have several different styles swapped on the fly.

But we got our Noctis in Azwel, like it or not. :sc5vio1:

Also WRT "golden child", I don't think Namco likes Tekken as much as they let on, but that's off-topic and a rant for another day lol
Requesting rant to be posted in the shitposting thread ASAP. :sc4amy1:

Unpopular, haterade-induced opinion: I grew weary of FFVII being overhyped years ago, and I really don't care to see any fucks from that game show up in a Soul Calibur game. Period.

Fight me in my driveway, I dare you!!! Hahaha!
But all joking aside, I don't think it's really about 'hyping FFVII'--well, let's be clear, it would certainly be that as regards Square-Enix's decision to license the character. But the real benefit would be in getting a character who represents a specific niche that would balance well against the existing roster, where said character has to be someone who can be rendered in a fashion that works within SC's mechanics while remaining visually faithful to the guest's appearance and quality of movement in the source material. Tifa would check each of those boxes.

Especially considering there’s more interesting potential characters to pull from Final Fantasy, such as a dagger user in Zidane (dual) or Vaan (solo with shield), or a pure spear user in any of the Dragoons, or maybe even something totally out of left field like Bartz or Ramza, omniclass folks who could have several different styles swapped on the fly.

But we got our Noctis in Azwel, like it or not. :sc5vio1:
I can't tell if your tongue is firmly in cheek here or not, but for the record...they are not going to add a character from a game that is more than 12 years old, let alone a 20-year-old game or a 26-year-old game: in the twenty or so years of their doing guests characters, not a single one of them has come from a game that was more than a couple of years old (or in the case of running properties, a franchise that hadn't released a prominent game featuring that characters in the last year or two). And I don't think Dissidia is either recent enough or remotely popular enough to bootstrap any of the characters you suggest into the kind of relevance where either company would want them as a SoulCalibur guest. Right now, there is really only one Final Fantasy game/sequence that makes sense timing wise for them to consider building into an early season 3 (if there is one), and that's the FFVII remake.

And just on a side note, I wouldn't say that 'daggers' is the most accurate way to describe the weapons that Zidane fights with: while he certainly favours knives, and all daggers are knives, not all knives are daggers. The distinction of what makes a knife specifically a dagger is a little unfixed and open to interpretation, but the most archetypical qualities are that daggers generally have two sharp edges and are designed more for thrusting and stabbing, rather than the type cutting/slashing motions that are typical of Zidane's strikes with his apparently single-edged weapons. Now, bear in mind, I can't recall if the weapon that Garnet ends up taking her nickname of 'Dagger' from is one of those exact same blades--in which case, yeah, there's always the game's specific nomenclature to consider.

Last edited:
I can't tell if your tongue is firmly in cheek here or not...
50/50, but as you later surmise, I was referring to their incarnations from Dissidia NT, already 3D modeled and animated and everything, so there is a base. And if we were getting a Monk-type, I would actually take Vayne over Tifa, just personally, with my tongue firmly sticking out in your direction. :sc4amy1:

I can't recall if the weapon that Garnet ends up taking her nickname of 'Dagger' from is one of those exact same blades--in which case, yeah, there's always the game's specific nomenclature to consider.
It is indeed her namesake, and add to that that very several of Zidane’s weapons are called <x> Dagger, and his initial equipment is just “Dagger”, and if you use the tooltips, his weapons are referred to as daggers or thief swords (the twinblades). His fighting style could be like the opposite of Grøh, with dual wielding the daggers in his default and either in certain moves and/or in Soul Charge swapping over to a thief sword while unlocking his Trance abilities. It could be really cool, and I support the idea.

I also just really love Final Fantasy IX. :sc2yun2:

Girl, same!!! FFIX is bae. It was my first Final Fantasy :)
My sixth (IV->VI->VII->Tactics->VIII->IX), and I dunno if you replayed it after playing some of the ones that came before it, but it only gets better the richer you are in the lore of the series. Such a love letter to the fans, it’s beautiful!

I guess I don't really see why square would loan Tifa to SCVI....

Soul Calibur is a niche fighter and Final Fantasy VIIR is a big game. It's beneath them to loan a FF7 character to this game. They don't really gain anything from it. Nier Automata on the other hand is much closer to SoulCaliburs level, same thing with SamSho. The Witcher wild hunt was 3 years at least past its prime when SC6 came out, so CD Project Red might have had an interest in keeping Geralt going a little bit...

Noctis came out for Tekken when it was less than a year old, plus Tekken 7 is arguably the most popular/reputable fighter this console gen. Its fine to dream for Tifa, but....she's an nearly unattainable dream in SC6.

I could be wrong, but....why the hell would Tifa be picked over Cloud? He's the obvious choice with his sword and this is a weapons based fighter. Save the brawler fighters for either an original Project Soul character or some tekken crossover....

I could be wrong, but....why the hell would Tifa be picked over Cloud? He's the obvious choice with his sword and this is a weapons based fighter. Save the brawler fighters for either an original Project Soul character or some tekken crossover....
Plus there’s an unwritten rule that guests must be main characters. Heihachi and Darth Vader are antagonists and Link, Spawn, The Apprentice, Ezio, Geralt, 2B, and Haohmaru are protagonists. The only debatable one is Yoda, though he is THE Jedi Master, he’s really more on the sidelines. I’ll never understand why they didn’t pick Luke instead, for a multitude of reasons.

Plus there’s an unwritten rule that guests must be main characters. Heihachi and Darth Vader are antagonists and Link, Spawn, The Apprentice, Ezio, Geralt, 2B, and Haohmaru are protagonists. The only debatable one is Yoda, though he is THE Jedi Master, he’s really more on the sidelines. I’ll never understand why they didn’t pick Luke instead, for a multitude of reasons.

To promote the force unleashed back in 2008...Luke skywalker would have likely detracted from their golden boy star killer..

They could have at least picked obi wan for a character who didn’t have a height handicap...or they could have made starkiller the Xbox exclusive...though I suppose they didn’t want to spoil that starkiller turns to good

To promote the force unleashed back in 2008...Luke skywalker would have likely detracted from their golden boy star killer..
True, and they could have also chosen Rahm Kota, so all three guests would have been characters actually from The Force Unleashed, but people would have been like literally who unless they played the TFU Demo, so they went with Yoda for the recognition factor. Still, Luke vs. Vader is too obvious to exclude if your inclusion factor for the Xbox 360 guest is that they must wield a green lightsaber.

They could have at least picked obi wan for a character who didn’t have a height handicap...or they could have made starkiller the Xbox exclusive...though I suppose they didn’t want to spoil that starkiller turns to good
That doesn’t really work, because Obi-Wan’s lightsaber is blue, and if The Apprentice was Xbox only, it would have taken away from the promo appeal for TFU, plus PS3 players would very much not be happy. And Starkiller Reborn’s lightsaber is also blue by default/canon, so it wouldn’t work from that angle either.

I guess I don't really see why square would loan Tifa to SCVI....

Soul Calibur is a niche fighter and Final Fantasy VIIR is a big game. It's beneath them to loan a FF7 character to this game. They don't really gain anything from it. Nier Automata on the other hand is much closer to SoulCaliburs level, same thing with SamSho. The Witcher wild hunt was 3 years at least past its prime when SC6 came out, so CD Project Red might have had an interest in keeping Geralt going a little bit...

Noctis came out for Tekken when it was less than a year old, plus Tekken 7 is arguably the most popular/reputable fighter this console gen. Its fine to dream for Tifa, but....she's an nearly unattainable dream in SC6.

I think your read on this is off in several respects. To begin with, to answer your question regarding SquareEnix's benefit from some a transaction, they stand to gain a lot from it. First off, these deals often include licensing fees, so that's direct renumeration right there--and probably with a per-unit provision: that's essentially completely net revenue. In addition, they gain pretty substantial collateral exposure and marketing signal boosting for their own property in doing so. Nier was a massive commerical success, and yet they still found it worthwhile to license out 2B, even though it was even a little past the heyday sales window for that game.

As for why Tifa rather than cloud: well, there's are some design factors arguing for that: putting aside that Tifa would bring something a little more unique to the formula than just another guy with a massive sword (not exactly something Soulcalibur VI is hurting for..), there's also an element of power levels here: while FFVII:R does kind of reset Cloud to a level of physical ability a little more consistent with Soulcalibur levels of speed and power output, I still think Tifa is more in the wheelhouse.

In addition, there is a certain degree of parity here: Noctis was clearly a character that was better suited to Soulcalibur rather than Tekken (and Azwel is clearly a quasi-butt-hurt reaction from the devs that they didn't get to bite into that character, if you ask me!), and I just wouldn't be surprised if they replicated that inversion thinking into a guest from SC, provided they were of a mind to adapt a character from FFVII:R. There's also the fact that, if we assume that the other five forthcoming characters in Season 2 and hypothetical Season 3 are some combination of Setsuka, Hwang, Rock, Yun-seong, Lizardman, and Li Long, then this entry is going to end with an overall roster significantly skewed towards male characters in terms of outright numbers, so a female guest (and yes, a guest is all but certain if there is a third season) would make the most sense in that respect.

Furthermore, if there is a brawler, it would make the most sense for them to synergize it with the guest: the limitations on who can get in to a final season pass make it pretty much a non-starter to add a new original character brawler in to this game as anybody but a guest. Tekken is another possibility (and one I suspect most of us could get behind), but I just don't think it makes nearly as much sense from a promotional standpoint as Tifa would, especially when you add in the wrinkle that this could be timed (if she is the second season 3 character) to pretty closely coincide with the release of the second volume of FFVII:R, putting her in a pretty nice promotional window between those first two volumes, something that would doubtless appeal to both companies.

Last edited:
FF stans wants her in every f#ck game Smash/SC/TEKKEN/DOA/SF/MK.. just need the 5 Jump Force players demand her too.. :sc4set2:

"She’d embody fan service, of course as a buxom bartender woman" Kappa

1590815504138.png

Back