Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I'm pretty sure that was one of the early Vergeben leaks, so take it with a big grain of salt. It was most probably based on Passion Republic concepts (now proven to be fan arts and nothing more), also if my memory serves me right, even then Vergeben claimed that entire multiple styles version of the game got scrapped early and replaced with a new more conservative approach.
I’m honestly glad they didn’t go with the cast using multiple fighting styles (if they were going to do this at all). That would have just been a pain to balance out especially seeing how something similar to it in MKX was pretty poorly executed (with half of the variations being near useless).

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that was one of the early Vergeben leaks, so take it with a big grain of salt. It was most probably based on Passion Republic concepts (now proven to be fan arts and nothing more), also if my memory serves me right, even then Vergeben claimed that entire multiple styles version of the game got scrapped early and replaced with a new more conservative approach.

Another vergeben “leak” debunked. How many is that now?

I’m honestly glad they didn’t go with the cast using multiple fighting styles (if they were going to do this at all). That would have just been a pain to balance out especially seeing how something similar to it in MKX was pretty poorly executed (with half of the variations being near useless).
Agreed, reworking every character into multiple variations MKX-style would have most probably made them unrecognizable, which would have been terrible for the series.
Still I don't think Vergeben's leak implied MKX-like style switching, I'm too lazy to search for exact quotes, but I believe he was talking about mid-battle style switching (still a terrible idea to force on all haracters across the board), he also thought Groh was the last remnant of the scrapped mechanic that actually survived into the final game. Which ultimately was completely wrong, since Groh's separate blades Avenger ended up being nothing more than a good old stance which is nothing new for the series.
Playing devil's advocate, if there is indeed any truth to this particular leak, Groh obviously can't be argued to be the last carrier of the scrapped idea, yet Azwel with his weapon switches actually can.

Though multiple styles could have maybe been an in for some of the SoulCalibur III styles, like Taki changing to Dagger or Hilde changing to Lance. Mitsurugi changing to Katana would have been able to make Arthur slightly unique if his base form was reversed, or just in general it could have been used for Libra of Soul, much like Chronicles of the Sword.

Wasn't there plans for giving each character 3 styles, like in MK10?
Agreed, reworking every character into multiple variations MKX-style would have most probably made them unrecognizable, which would have been terrible for the series.
Still I don't think Vergeben's leak implied MKX-like style switching, I'm too lazy to search for exact quotes, but I believe he was talking about mid-battle style switching (still a terrible idea to force on all haracters across the board), he also thought Groh was the last remnant of the scrapped mechanic that actually survived into the final game. Which ultimately was completely wrong, since Groh's separate blades Avenger ended up being nothing more than a good old stance which is nothing new for the series.
Playing devil's advocate, if there is indeed any truth to this particular leak, Groh obviously can't be argued to be the last carrier of the scrapped idea, yet Azwel with his weapon switches actually can.
I don't think there's the least bit of reason to even begin to suspect this was ever considered seriously (or most likely, at all) by Project Soul. It just makes no sense for them or for their game.

Let's start with the fact that this rumor apparently originated with Vergeben, Lord of self-promoting made-up bullshit, whose supposed inside knowledge for this game turned out predictions that were less reliable than if you were throwing darts at a board with guesses like "Voldo moves to Milan, pursues a fashion career" or "All of the cast are the red-headed offspring of Natsu and Xiba". As has been discussed ad nauseum here, even the less than 1% of the shit that Vergeben got right is more easily explained by a combination of dumb luck, cold reads on likely developments any of us could (and did) predict, and/or his getting ahead of news in non-English media and then "breaking" it for the anglophone fanbase. There's just zero reason to believe he ever had a line into Namco or Project Soul at any level: it was a dubious claim to start with, and frankly one would have to be credulous idiot to believe it at this stage.

That said, the origin of the rumour isn't even the main reason to doubt it. It also just doesn't make any kind of design or development sense. And I'm not just talking about how it flies in the face of everything that has been done with the series to date from a mechanical perspective: after-all, developers of long-running fighting franchises sometimes do go off on radical experiments, and the early days of development of a game are often awash with wild suggestions on mixing up the status quo before the executive developers (ideally) pull things back and mute some of those ideas into less ambitious but more workable concepts that work with a more conservative approach to the existing design of the franchise.

No, it's not just the fact that this would be "different" for the series that means it would be a non-starter--it's the way in which the idea is different and what it would mean for the team in content development terms that makes the rumor easy to dismiss. Designing, producing and playtesting a moveset is, without question and by an epic lightyear, the single largest component of developing a character in a 3D fighter. Art design, modelling, and recording or licensing audio are all trivial expenditures in terms of time and cost when compared against the laborious processes of developing the moveset. Designing and dialing in the various moves and their inputs, animating each and every one of them, going through countless iterations and variants as you try to get everything synced up, balancing them against all other characters for which you are doing the exact same thing, massive amounts of playtesting and debugging--this is all just the tip of the iceberg and is further complicated by the fact that a lot of these steps have to be done in lockstep rather than serially, further complicating matters.

So when the moveset is by far the lion's share of work that will be done on a given character, you are seriously going to limit the size of your roster if you want to give multiple movesets to a given character. Which really underscores why this was a dumb prediction for Soulcalibur in particular: we're talking about a franchise whose recent entries have been infamous for getting a limited budget and development timetable for the base game, and whose initial-release rosters have shrunk considerably during that same period. Why would Project Soul, of all development teams, want to exacerbate an obvious and often complained about issue with their recent games by choosing a development/design path that would make it considerably worse? SCVI had, what, 21 characters at launch? Imagine if each character had needed three movesets but there was no corresponding increase to the game's timetable or budget. That means you would have had a 7 character roster: does anybody really believe that was ever going to happen?

I mean, years of watching the Soulcalibur community (and gaming communities at large) make their predictions have impressed upon me how little knowledge, research, and attempts at genuine insight go into most of them, but this one virtually breaks my brain with the level at which it demonstrates how little effort people give towards thinking about the pragmatic realities of the work that goes into the content they enjoy. With even just the slightest pragmatic understanding of the realities of game development, no more than a moment's concerted thought would be required to reveal the flaws in this particular prediction.

Last edited:
I have this idea, dunno if this was suggested before.

Honestly i though about it while ago, but now i see that even Capcom is going to do something in that kind (DOA already did something like that)

They do the CaS contest, but based on outfit for character, the winner (all top 3 winner, depends on how they'll do it) will see their CaS skins in the game as new default/preset, i think it can be pretty good for the game, even more since game has 1 default outfit per character.

Thoughts?

I have this idea, dunno if this was suggested before.

Honestly i though about it while ago, but now i see that even Capcom is going to do something in that kind (DOA already did something like that)

They do the CaS contest, but based on outfit for character, the winner (all top 3 winner, depends on how they'll do it) will see their CaS skins in the game as new default/preset, i think it can be pretty good for the game, even more since game has 1 default outfit per character.

Thoughts?
I think it's a fine idea in the abstract, but unlikely to ever gain traction with Project Soul; its been pretty clear from day one that very, very little has been budgeted by Namco for the promotion and marketing of SCVI. Even small things that are typical for games in this genre or for Namco's fighters in particular have been averred with regard to this title. Pretty much all we have gotten are minimalist trailers for the individual characters, previews of the season passes with virtually no concrete details, and tightly constrained and vague tweets, all of which pretty much always boil down to "the next thing on the list is coming 'soon'". Some degree of financial support was obviously going towards maintaining the tournament scene, but even that has tapered off for the present time for obvious reasons, and has not been replaced by other forms of promotion.

And unfortunately even fun little kitschy fan-engagement promotions like the one you suggest cost some degree of overhead. Bluntly, I just don't think there's anyone even behind the wheel of SCVI's promotion at the level necessary to organize and implement this type of thing. And of course, it wouldn't be a massively involved or complex thing to do by any means, but I think that's just how completely underfunded the game's marketing is, how under-emphasized the game is among Namco's marketing priorities. Unfortunately, I think what we have been getting in terms of promotion--sporadic trailers, issued at tournaments where possible, plus the support for the tournament scene itself--is all we can count on getting for the remainder of the time that we get continuing support content, be that two or three seasons worth. I'll be happy to be proven wrong about that, but if I were to place a bet on the matter, I would say it is nearly a lock that we will never see any kind of special content promotion, be it in the form of a contest or otherwise.

This is the result of the character popularity vote 5 years ago, but I remember that Tarim was the 1st place and I was surprised at that time. Thanks to you, Tarim is back in SC6, and I'm glad that it still seems popular!

"stahp saying the poll has any determination value. it's a useless poll! a. useless. poll! it will not have any impact on determining the roster of the next game! it's just for lost swords! even tho the director said it isn't so, its still for lost sword!! staaaahp!!"

Yea, i'm still laughing at you.

friendly reminder YS #14, Season 3 bixxhs
Video Editor Studio Movie Maker, Flim Editor, Audio Mixer and More20200612040357.gif

that nine tailed fox Toki is the new character/ boss we need for SC 6: He could start as the old master and morph into the fox demon for soul charge. Fighting style I don´t know. but i´d love to fight that thing in game.

Back