Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

hey i would sacrifice my left nut to have Dampierre in SC6, don't underestimate Dampierre fans. :sc5dam1:

well now......

1520795504023.png

I hope its a sacrifice worth making.....

I wouldn't mind him as a season 3 character. Aside from guests, we haven't had a single original character for DLC yet. If he uses a HEMA lance, spear, halberd, or poleaxe weapon he could be pretty interesting.
Or just slap Z.W.E.I.'s moves on him because why not? It's not like we're gonna see the SCV characters again. This guy already has a wolf theme going on. Just come up with stuff like "he's possessed by the spirit of Wolfkrone" or something to explain the wolf spirit.

Or just slap Z.W.E.I.'s moves on him because why not? It's not like we're gonna see the SCV characters again. This guy already has a wolf theme going on. Just come up with stuff like "he's possessed by the spirit of Wolfkrone" or something to explain the wolf spirit.
I'm pretty sure Wilhelm only exists in Hilde's story because he is indeed future Z.W.E.I. getting introduced bit by bit. Don't think he'll be playable before SC7 though.

Does anyone think we’ll ever realistically see a Nintendo Switch port of SCVI? Would absolutely love to have this game on the go!

I think they could swap out 2B with another Nintendo exclusive guest character (Link would make it sell like crazy for sure) but otherwise the Switch has ports of The Witcher 3 and Samurai Shodown already so I don’t see any reason why Geralt or Haohmaru would not translate across.
Never going to happen, for a number of reasons:

For one, it's doubtable that you could even get SCVI to run on the Switch: it's not exactly a well optimized game to begin with and already has performance issues on XBOX One and PS4, which have substantially greater processing than the Switch, and elements of the actual gameplay already look kind of muddy and awful without downscaling them to the Switch. There's much more too these technical objections, but this has come up so many times over the last few years I just can't bring myself to take the time to detail it all, but a search with the right keywords should find you those older discussions. Notably myself and FluffyQuack have addressed this topic a number of times, if that helps: FQ has made some rather nuanced devil's advocate arguments about how you might be able to make it work with some compromises, but I remain convinced you couldn't do it without creating the worst-looking, worst-performing, slowest-loading, most buggy, frame-skipping and competitive-experience-destroying, and generally unpleasant experience on the platform.

There's also not a sufficient install base to even begin to make such a move profitable for Namco: ports have significant cost and require a lot of (typically in-house) resources, so when you consider how slowly Project Soul is getting out their content right now as is, it becomes obvious they are definitely not going to be allotted enough additional developer man hours just to make a highly inferior port of the game that wouldn't sell enough for them to recoup their costs, even if it weren't the worst version of the game (which it would be). Let alone make enough profit to make the product worth the use of resources at a time when the parent company's support for fighters is stretched thing over numerous titles right now. The number of people who might want to play a SoulCalibur game that badly but who also (for some reason) are also gamers who only own a Switch is going to be minuscule relative to the numbers they would have to sell in order to make the port not just profitable, but also profitable enough to make it a priority amongst Namco's profile of other games (or just their fighters for that matter). There's just no way it would make good business sense. The sales probably wouldn't cover the marketing costs, let alone development.

Lastly, even if there were a way to make the title technically and financially feasible on the Switch, it would have been done ages ago, not three or four years after the game's release, promotional heyday, and peak sales on other platforms. Even if they started developing the port now, the game wouldn't be out until late 2021 at the earliest (and given again the apparent skeleton staff allotted to SCVI right and their other priorities, that would actually be a highly optimistic date), meaning the release would come at the end of the current console generation and into a very cold market, on top of everything else.

Sorry to play the role of cold water thrower a second time in as many days, but this is another idea that I just can't imagine has a shadow of a chance. The switch just isn't the appropriate place for this game. It's handful of competitive fighters are all zany 2D games for a reason.

I'm pretty sure Wilhelm only exists in Hilde's story because he is indeed future Z.W.E.I. getting introduced bit by bit.
Takahashi said that their design until then was coincidental, especially because how he was going to forget his own cousin/bride. Z.W.E.I. and she doesn't have zero interactions, they don't even seem to be part of the same group. She has children (he is not the father). His origin story is unknown because he doesn't like to talk about his family, it's not like he has amnesia like Viola / Amy.

I think Chris Hackney is also the Young Tactician VA according to Reddit. Which is ironic when Cold Assassin suits a certain character the VA is known for. And also my main CaS switching to that voice and kind of looking like timeskip Dimitri.

Takahashi said that their design until then was coincidental, especially because how he was going to forget his own cousin/bride. Z.W.E.I. and she doesn't have zero interactions, they don't even seem to be part of the same group. She has children (he is not the father). His origin story is unknown because he doesn't like to talk about his family, it's not like he has amnesia like Viola / Amy.
Interesting, thanks!

Sounds like Grøh if anything ever did. :sc5zwe1:

I made video podcast thing about Setsuka patch!

Timestamps:
0:00:22 - DLC character reveal!
0:01:00 - ... actual DLC character reveal!
0:02:21 - Brief talk about fighting game reveals from "EVO"
0:05:33 - Setsuka trailer talk!
0:11:10 - Setsuka gameplay talk!
0:23:26 - Setsuka artwork and screenshot comparisons
0:31:15 - Setsuka's story mode (spoilers!)
0:38:20 - Misc SC6 news and patch notes
0:49:55 - Balance patch notes
0:59:12 - Street Fighter V DLC news
1:06:47 - Misc gaming news: Genshin Impact, Spelunky 2, Metal Slug Code J

Some comparison stuffs I made for the podcast:

@FluffyQuack

Listening to your Setsuka podcast, the reason Setsuka goes after Mitsurugi even when Shugen told her not to take vengeance is because he took away the man she's in love with. It's why she ran away when Shugen asked her to call her father when he got her the SC3 kimono.

In fairness, there were 2 special CAS parts for Setsuka (the comb and flowers) that you could have equipped in your comparison between SC6/SC4

I don't know if its the makeup/lighting, but the face for Setsuka looks dramatically different. The comparison pictures really help cement in my head that they did an entire overhaul
The lower half (cheekbones and jawline) also look a lot more pronounced for SC4 Setsuka

Someone ripped the music that plays during the Mitsurugi vs Shugen fight (the Duelist remix). Why this wasn't made available to be used on normal gameplay, I have no idea.

I know I’m a day late, but I really appreciate it the “promotion”, and I agree, I don’t know why this music wasn’t unlocked for use outside of the Soul Chronicle, kinda whack tbh considering this is the original announcement theme.

it’s been almost 3 years what the heck.

Timestamps:
0:00:22 - DLC character reveal!
0:01:00 - ... actual DLC character reveal!
0:02:21 - Brief talk about fighting game reveals from "EVO"
0:05:33 - Setsuka trailer talk!
0:11:10 - Setsuka gameplay talk!
0:23:26 - Setsuka artwork and screenshot comparisons
0:31:15 - Setsuka's story mode (spoilers!)
0:38:20 - Misc SC6 news and patch notes
0:49:55 - Balance patch notes
0:59:12 - Street Fighter V DLC news
1:06:47 - Misc gaming news: Genshin Impact, Spelunky 2, Metal Slug Code J

Oh, yeah... The shoulder tattoo. I forgot about that. Do you have to put it on manually? I should go check.

@FluffyQuack

Listening to your Setsuka podcast, the reason Setsuka goes after Mitsurugi even when Shugen told her not to take vengeance is because he took away the man she's in love with. It's why she ran away when Shugen asked her to call her father when he got her the SC3 kimono.
Maybe I should replay the story, especially the beginning parts. I had a hard time following due to the many new Japanese nouns thrown at me, and also the fights were causing a huge break due to the way I was playing it, and those are normally supposed to just take a minute each.

I'm trying to remember if Shugen told much to Setsuka about the duel with Mitsurugi because there wasn't any ill intent between them, right? Though I also don't remember why they randomly tried to duel to the death. I would have figured Shugen would have told Setsuka they were just having a friendly duel where they somehow got a bit too carried away. It makes Setsuka seem overly vindictive if her goal now is to outright murder Mitsurugi without at least asking the guy about what happened.

Oh, yeah... The shoulder tattoo. I forgot about that. Do you have to put it on manually? I should go check.
That's a sticker you put on. I followed Yoshie's steps on how to apply it:
Yes, the tattoo is a sticker. And her hairpin that FQ neglected to put on is extra equipment. :sc3set1:
hides

Back