Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Do you guys also complain about Siegfried always rocking the same overall European armored knight style, Rock always wearing some kind of Conan the Barbarian cosplay with gimmick animal head helmets, Yoshimitsu always sticking to samurai kabuto, Maxi always being an Elvis impersonator and so on and so forth?
First off, you have a pretty loose definition of "complaining" there, champ, and may want to look into the concept of a strawman argument; I said "it would be nice" to see a different take, which is a pretty far cry from the usual whinging-bordering-on-futile-nerdrage-demands that typifies discussion on this forum on an almost daily basis, which you typically don't have any problem with and often indulge in yourself... Plus there's the whole matter of the context of the rest of that post (you know, literally every single last word that you didn't selectively quote) where I go out of my way to emphasize that in the grand scheme it's not really a genuine issue--the exact opposite of the sentiment you are implying I was putting out there. Sheesh.

But that said, even if the position you ascribed to me was actually the one I had asserted and was looking to defend, your examples don't really support your own argument, by and large: Yoshimitsu's kabuto(-esque) vibe hasn't prevented him from looking pretty radically different across his twenty plus years of inclusion in this franchise--go back and look at this original look and then consider the quasi-organic skin suit in the present game and tell me that's the same look--and that's if we ignore that he's originally a character from another franchise by the same developer, where he is quite arguably the most radically-varying character in the history of the genre, with his alien-cyborg-whatever skins; Rock's moveset was literally given to an entirely different character with an entirely different look in one game; and Maxi has actually has occasionally gotten a break from the Elvis impersonator look.

So you've basically picked a fight with an exaggerated phantom position no one was actually espousing....and still manged to use such poor evidence that you're losing that argument against nobody...

Last edited:
If you ignore the colour scheme,
• the front half of his current costume looks like the front half of the middle concept picture
• the back half looks likes inspired by the front half of the bottom concept picture (with the jabot and the straps across)

Imo the middle concept looks legit solid as the giant victorian queen collar really stands out.
But, since you hear they specifically wanted the back half of the costume to look like a front-end, they had to change it up.

Still, this is amazing concept work for SC6 (rarely seen). I only remember the alternate Azwels (with the different hair and looking younger)

I second this. I'd like to see what other kinds of costumes could be made for Amy so we don't always have to look at that same loli getup all the time.
I second this. I'd like to see what other kinds of costumes could be made for Amy so we don't always have to look at that same loli getup all the time.
a while back i actually sketched a musketeer-ish outfit for her, its old and kinda crappy execution wise but i’m thinking of doing a better rendered version sometime
E91A7418-E9C9-4336-9FF8-6F7B53AF8344.jpeg

So you've basically picked a fight with an exaggerated phantom position no one was actually espousing....
I don't remember picking any fights, just pointing out how I thought it was strange anyone would single out Amy specifically for something 50% of the roster was "guilty" off. You need to chill out.
and still manged to use such poor evidence that you're losing that argument against nobody...
Wrong.
...Rock's moveset was literally given to an entirely different character with an entirely different look in one game...
By this logic Amy already had vastly different costume styles in other SC games because she used to be a Raphael clone, so all of Raphael costumes should count, shouldn't they?
...and Maxi has actually has occasionally gotten a break from the Elvis impersonator look.
Not really. He's a Japanese Elvis in different levels of undress and that's it.
....Yoshimitsu's kabuto(-esque) vibe hasn't prevented him from looking pretty radically different across his twenty plus years of inclusion in this franchise--go back and look at this original look and then consider the quasi-organic skin suit in the present game and tell me that's the same look...
What can I say, it's the same basic idea every time.
I said "it would be nice" to see a different take...
By the way, I think Lost Swords might had you covered Kappa:

Hey I was thinking about Yunseong Chronicles a bit more.

But I can't get a lot of idea for that era, besides trivial scene in the Dojo.

What do you think Yunseong story can be if he can't go too much to SC2 era, maybe stay a bit before like Talim before he quit the dojo or can have new elements in SC1 timeline? what can he do at this time before he is leaving the dojo?

Hey I was thinking about Yunseong Chronicles a bit more.

But I can't get a lot of idea for that era, besides trivial scene in the Dojo.

What do you think Yunseong story can be if he can't go too much to SC2 era, maybe stay a bit before like Talim before he quit the dojo or can have new elements in SC1 timeline? what can he do at this time before he is leaving the dojo?
probably he goes through a gauntlet of mina's suitors who are looking to take him down to impress her as he hones his skills in the Dojo.
He gets praised as "almost as good as that hwang guy" and that seriously lights a fire under his butt

I don't see him taking on malfested, japanese raiders. Doesn't seem like young (ie SC2) yun seong has dealt with the horrors of the world yet.

would you guys be annoyed if less developed characters get moves from guests (Aeon SC5) or do you prefer the devs grow their original style (SC3/4 Lizardman)

I am thinking there is a possibility that Rock could get moves from a previous guest character to fill out the movelist

would you guys be annoyed if less developed characters get moves from guests (Aeon SC5) or do you prefer the devs grow their original style (SC3/4 Lizardman)

I am thinking there is a possibility that Rock could get moves from a previous guest character to fill out the movelist
I think providing the guest in question has/had a good movelist and it’s a good fit for the new/returning character, then sure why not. Aeon inheriting Kratos’ moves made sense but I wouldn’t want to see Rock getting Yoda’s moves - as an example of a combination that wouldn’t work!

A little strategic borrowing seems pragmatic (and often goes unnoticed depending on how directly the original animation is lifted and depending on how it looks on a different model), but I'd argue that Aeon was just over the line into taking too many elements wholesale. There is a certain degree of upper threshold on how much of the moveset they can employ, aside from what the fans are willing to embrace: remember that these guests have movesets that are typically quite faithful to the original aesthetics and dynamics of the character in their original franchise--so straight up ripping off that style for another character, from IP that you licensed from another company that agreed to do business with you, would probably create some sour grapes eventually (and at least some potential for outright accusations of rights infringement) and hurt the chances of PS being able to secure hot IP for guests in the future.

So I do think there is an upper theshold on what they can get away with here (and probably a sense among the devs that they don't want to lean too heavily on content generated from guests anyway, if I had to guess--that's why Tekken moves being recycled into SC characters is much more common than SC guests being leveraged in this way). I think Aeon being as heavily influenced by Kratos as he was can probably be chalked up to the....let's call it "atypical"....development of SCV, particularly with regard to its direction. That said, I'd happily see some of Haohmaru's stuff recycled into a complete style for Arthur in SCVII.

You need to get out of the mindset that Project Soul can't add anything original to legacy characters, you only have to look at their current record with everyone that this isn't the case.

Also with regards to Aeon and Kratos sharing moves, it's worth pointing out that Kratos went under similar development as Haohmaru, that he was given new moves for Broken Destiny because his moveset is so simple in the GOW games. The question then becomes, are they even Kratos' moves in the first place even if he's the first character to have them.

Last edited:
You need to get out of the mindset that Project Soul can't add anything original to legacy characters, you only have to look at their current record with everyone that this isn't the case.

Also with regards to Aeon and Kratos sharing moves, it's worth pointing out that Kratos went under similar development as Haohmaru, that he was given new moves for Broken Destiny because his moveset is so simple in the GOW games. The question then becomes, are they even Kratos' moves in the first place even if he's the first character to have them.

Damn SCV was a good looking game. I forgot how beautiful that stage was.

Also seeing Aeon’s movelist again really makes me think he’s a must for series 3 - with his SCV movelist which would go some way in pleasing fans of that particular game, especially those whose introduction to the series was SCV (those people do exist).

Damn SCV was a good looking game. I forgot how beautiful that stage was.

Also seeing Aeon’s movelist again really makes me think he’s a must for series 3 - with his SCV movelist which would go some way in pleasing fans of that particular game, especially those whose introduction to the series was SCV (those people do exist).

Initially I felt that Kratos would have been a pretty decent choice regarding a guest character in SCVI, but I don't think either the licensor or the licensee would be interested in doing that unless his appearance were more based on the GoW soft reboot game of a couple of years back (with a moveset that, as I understand it, is a pastiche of his old chain blade stuff and his new Teutonic-inspired ice axe?). Unfortunately, if they were going to do that, they would certainly have done it ages ago, when there was real cross-promotional value. Unless there is another GoW sequel coming down the pike (and forgive me if there in fact is: I don't really follow the franchise), I don't think this is going to happen in SCVI.

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see it regardless though: I'm not really a GoW fan (though I am assured the newest game is excellent), but it seems to me the current iteration on the character would fit into this game like a glove, and I'd like to see a precedent of guests sometimes returning.

Back