Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Cassandra was mentioned in SC1?
Cassandra was an NPC in the background of Sophitia's Soul Edge Ending

Soul_Edge_Sophitia_Ending_6.png

But with SCVII likely overlapping more with SCIII's timeline, and Haohmaru presumably not returning for that game, maybe that will finally be his moment to finally be brought into the fold as a mainroster character with a fully realized independent moveset.
I personally would only find his introduction interesting if they were to explore the entire Kamikirimusi arch as much I don't like her. His wife's family was responsible for her sealing, so then PS would have something more to explore. Many other characters want to destroy Soul Edge, he would be one more.
I would like to know how original Haohmaru is, I mean, how much of his movements are original from PS. If I'm not mistaken, he would have movements from old games in addition to the current one. Well, I'm not going to talk much about gameplay because this is not my area. :sc2mit1:

I would like to know how original Haohmaru is

His CE moves and A+B commands that are also his QCF specials are his signature moves, while his B+K are general features from the latest SamSho game. His standard moves are where the lines start to blur as you have moves that are either faithful, have extensions or are completely original. I would say that between SNK and Project Soul, just over half of his moves in SC6 are Project Soul originals.

Another character I could potentially see taking over a guest fighting style would Miser. She has a few moves and stances in SC3 that look fairly similar to 2B’s (teleporting into the air for a stance, 11BB had her do a forward teleport, and her shuriken was capable of instantly returning to her), wasn’t from Chronicles of the Sword, and she got mentioned in SC6.

Another character I could potentially see taking over a guest fighting style would Miser.

I would love to see Miser as a fully fleshed out character, but I'd rather see her with brand new moves rather than ones pillaged from a guest. Another reason I say this is because Haohmaru is absolutely fantastic to play that I hope he returns in a future installment, so I'd rather not have that opportunity spoiled.

I would love to see Miser as a fully fleshed out character, but I'd rather see her with brand new moves rather than ones pillaged from a guest. Another reason I say this is because Haohmaru is absolutely fantastic to play that I hope he returns in a future installment, so I'd rather not have that opportunity spoiled.
Well, maybe not Haohmaru himself but perhaps the fighting style. I don’t think they’ve ever really reused the guest characters themselves.

More's the pity there, because I always felt Arthur has long been ripe for inclusion in the main roster. The "bonus" playable characters in in SCIII fall into two groups really--those who were prexisting characters of the main SC canon, and those who were Chronicles of the Sword personalities. Of the four characters in the former group (Hwang, Li Long, Amy and Arthur), it was only Arthur who did not come back for SCIII: AE with a fully fleshed-out moveset--and he's never appeared as anything but a CaSified single player mode extra ever since. Just feels like he got the short end of the stick there--especially considering he was (albeit in a very narrow technical sense by virtue of localization efforts) a playable character early in the series. But with SCVII likely overlapping more with SCIII's timeline, and Haohmaru presumably not returning for that game, maybe that will finally be his moment to finally be brought into the fold as a mainroster character with a fully realized independent moveset.
Perhaps another route could be mixing Arthur with Haohmaru and Darth Vader's movesets?

I personally would only find his introduction interesting if they were to explore the entire Kamikirimusi arch as much I don't like her. His wife's family was responsible for her sealing, so then PS would have something more to explore. Many other characters want to destroy Soul Edge, he would be one more.
I would like to know how original Haohmaru is, I mean, how much of his movements are original from PS. If I'm not mistaken, he would have movements from old games in addition to the current one. Well, I'm not going to talk much about gameplay because this is not my area. :sc2mit1:
His CE moves and A+B commands that are also his QCF specials are his signature moves, while his B+K are general features from the latest SamSho game. His standard moves are where the lines start to blur as you have moves that are either faithful, have extensions or are completely original. I would say that between SNK and Project Soul, just over half of his moves in SC6 are Project Soul originals.
Perhaps another route could be mixing Arthur with Haohmaru and Darth Vader's movesets?
Yeah, to be clear, when I referenced Haohmaru's probable absence in SCVII as helping to pave the way for the outside possibility of a fully realized Arthur, I really meant more that, in terms of both aesthetics and roster balance, there's only so much room in a given entry for so many guys rocking the wandering samurai/ronin "I test myself against the best: the heat of battle is all!" type characters. That is to say, in addition to all of the other factors arguing against it, I couldn't imagine Arthur being added into this game along side both Mitsurugi and Haohmaru. But that will be less of an issue in SCVII, presumably. As for recycling Haohmaru's moves into Arthur, I wouldn't be gobsmacked if they re-used an animation or five, but probably nothing super obvious.

Yeah, to be clear, when I referenced Haohmaru's probable absence in SCVII as helping to pave the way for the outside possibility of a fully realized Arthur, I really meant more that, in terms of both aesthetics and roster balance, there's only so much room in a given entry for so many guys rocking the wandering samurai/ronin "I test myself against the best: the heat of battle is all!" type characters.
Fair point. Just like the Street Fighter Shoto bloat or Mortal Kombat Ninja bloat, there comes a point where their presence dilutes the diverse section of characters.

So if Lizardman comes back, I hope Kilik gets his “Would you please speak more normally?” line he had in SC3. And he says it to Voldo too.
You don’t just tell a man eating Lizard or even Voldo to speak normally. Especially since the latter has a harness strapped to his mouth (and he’s pretty old too so...)

Two minor questions:

1) What's it with the new effect that looks like a few snowflakes blown away by the wind on some stages, prior to the first round? Does it mean anything at all? When precisely does it occur?

2) After Setsuka's release, I noticed that instead of doing her "victory" hand pose, Xianghua would wave good-bye after ending a match with her CE. However, I haven't seen it since, despite the match being ended by CE. What are the conditions for this to be triggered?

Question for thought:

Ever wonder why there's a lack of antagonistic characters with weapon styles from the far east ? Pretty all of morally are situated on the "good" spectrum, and maybe Yun Seong's an idiot but he still wants to protect his country like his idol.

There's an assortment of story only side-characters that are created just so the main soul calibur cast can beat-up, but they are not interesting enough to develop an entirely new moveset + weapon for.

Question for thought:

Ever wonder why there's a lack of antagonistic characters with weapon styles from the far east ? Pretty all of morally are situated on the "good" spectrum, and maybe Yun Seong's an idiot but he still wants to protect his country like his idol.

There's an assortment of story only side-characters that are created just so the main soul calibur cast can beat-up, but they are not interesting enough to develop an entirely new moveset + weapon for.
That's a very interesting observation. Of course there is no way to know with any degree of empirical certainty, but the notion of a certain amount of implicit bias in that trend wouldn't exactly be absurd: those cliches are an issue that Japanese popular media struggles with extensively even up until today--nevermind twenty-five years ago when many of these characters were created.

I suppose we don't know for certain where Azwel hails from, and it it can be difficult to determine intended ethnicity from the models alone. But if he is Caucasian, the irony is that his character design seems to me to be very much predicated on the stereotypical features of the Yellow Peril characters of early twentieth century fiction in the west (particularly the sci-fi and action adventure film serials, literature, comic books, and so forth)--characters like Fu Manchu, Ming the Merciless, Yellow Claw, and Shiwan Khan. I don't think that this is a conscious effort at deconstructing the trope (not with the hackey storytelling of this game), but it is ironic that in recycling parts of the golden era supervillain stereotypes, they ended up inverting the trope's classical presentation.

I suppose you might argue that Mitsurugi is at least morally ambiguous: he's not positioned as a villain certainly, but he's not exactly a hero either. Rather he is driven by a kind of personal ambition / obsession with knowing he is the best. That character archetype is (particularly in the Japanese canon) typically situated on the moral spectrum by the context of a given work: in classic Japanese cinema where bushido is a prominent theme, he was often the protagonist, but in more modern media, that character is often presented as a villain due to his priorities often causing him to seek violent conflict--although even when a villain, he (and it usually is a he) is usually presented as honorable in a certain limited sense. Mitsurugi definitely seems to be set up as something of a neutral in this sense (similarly so with Setsuka, due to her mission of vengeance), whereas--as you pointed out--Taki, Yoshimitsu, Kilik, Xiangua, Hwang, Yun-Seong, Seong-Mina, Talim, Li Long, Maxi, Lexia, Natsu, and Xiba are all pretty much straightforward white hats, to greater or lesser degrees.

Last edited:
There are very few actual villains on the roster to begin with. Inferno (a cluster of many souls with no single nationality), Cervantes (Spaniard), Azwel (comes from Holy Roman Empire, so can be from modern Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, the Czech and Slovak Republics, as well as parts of eastern France, northern Italy, Slovenia or western Poland), Astaroth (a golem built from multiple bodies, also apparently made in Persia) and Tira (birthplace unknown) are the only clear baddies really. Even Nightmare is just good guy Siegfried under an evil spell.

Last edited:
There are very few actual villains on the roster to begin with. Inferno (a cluster of many souls with no single nationality), Cervantes (Spaniard), Azwel (comes from Holy Roman Empire, so can be from modern Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, the Czech and Slovak Republics, as well as parts of eastern France, northern Italy, Slovenia or western Poland), Astaroth (a golem built from multiple bodies, also apparently made in Persia) and Tira (birthplace unknown) are he only clear baddies really. Even Nightmare is just good guy Siegfried under an evil spell.
Nah, Azwel can't be French, neither can Raphael actually, because their accent is impeccable! A real French accent would be akin to Saints Row's Phillipe Loren's (who is Belgian, ironically...) Kappa

Back