Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Hwang is cool to play in SC6 ! Really like his improvment.

I have a question : I want to play SC3 Arcade Edition but I can't find it on the net. Any ideas to found it somewhere ?

Hwang is cool to play in SC6 ! Really like his improvment.

I have a question : I want to play SC3 Arcade Edition but I can't find it on the net. Any ideas to found it somewhere ?
I'm afraid you're likely to be out of luck on that one: Arcade Edition is, as the name applies, a version of the game native to Namco arcade boxes and which was never ported to home consoles (unlike every previous Soulcalibur game, the home release of SCIII preceded the arcade release). The software is therefore incompatible with PS2 boxes and emulators. Years ago, there was an effort to create a version of the game that was playable on PS2 emulators by importing SCIII:AE assets into a standard SCIII:CE build. But there are a few problems that really make that not super feasible for someone with a casual interest:

1) the overall success of the project was super limited, last I heard: the resulting hybrid build was full of glitches, prone to crashes, lacking in many SCIII:AE features and just generally not a super seamless experience,​
2) it required significant technical know-how just to manage the files and loading process, and​
3) as best I know, the project is defunct and no one involved with it easily reachable by any means known to the community at large.​
And then, of course, on top that, there are the potential legal issues.​

An alternative that would be much easier in a technical sense and result in a more seamless experience--but also much more expensive and not exactly technically a breeze either--would be to get ahold of a working Namco System 256 board and drive (you can find them on ebay) a viable arcade box with necessary peripherals, put it all together and then load it with SCIII:AE software. It would be quite the project if you have never done something like that before, but still probably simpler than the alternative and thus may be the only realistic way of being able to play the game at home.

I will say this: it is one of the best games in the history of the franchise, largely free of the issues that made SCIII:CE such a blown opportunity.

Edit: Oh, I stand very much corrected on point 3 above! Apparently, I should have done a search of the forums before responding, because apparently someone has resurrected the project! Of course the other caveats are still very much in play: it's still a work in progress, it still requires some technical know-how to start implement and there are still some transgression of IP concerns to take heed of.

Double edit: Or nevermind: apparently that version, for all the significant amount of effort that apparently went into it, does not feature any SCIII:AE movesets. Which to my mind really means the game is not SCIII:AE in any significant sense--no offense intended to the modders working on that project or their contributions.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Capturar.PNG
    Capturar.PNG
    561.8 KB · Views: 117
I'm afraid you're likely to be out of luck on that one: Arcade Edition is, as the name applies, a version of the game native to Namco arcade boxes and which was never ported to home consoles (unlike every previous Soulcalibur game, the home release of SCIII preceded the arcade release). The software is therefore incompatible with PS2 boxes and emulators. Years ago, there was an effort to create a version of the game that was playable on PS2 emulators by importing SCIII:AE assets into a standard SCIII:CE build. But there are a few problems that really make that not super feasible for someone with a casual interest:

1) the overall success of the project was super limited, last I heard: the resulting hybrid build was full of glitches, prone to crashes, lacking in many SCIII:AE features and just generally not a super seamless experience,​
2) it required significant technical know-how just to manage the files and emulation process, and​
3) as best I know, the project is defunct and no one involved with it easily reachable by any means known to the community at large.​
And then, of course, on top that, there are the potential legal issues.​

An alternative that would be much easier in a technical sense and result in a more seamless experience--but also much more expensive and not exactly technically a breeze either--would be to get ahold of a working Namco System 256 board and drive (you can find them on ebay) a viable arcade box with necessary peripherals, put it all together and then load it with SCIII:AE software. It would be quite the project if you have never done something like that before, but still probably simpler than the alternative and thus may be the only realistic way of being able to play the game at home.

I will say this: it is one of the best games in the history of the franchise, largely free of the issues that made SCIII:CE such a blown opportunity.

Edit: Oh, I stand very much corrected on point 3 above! Apparently, I should have done a search of the forums before responding, because apparently someone has resurrected the project! Of course the other caveats are still very much in play: it's still a work in progress, it still requires some technical know-how to start implement and there are still some transgression of IP concerns to take heed of.

Double edit: Or nevermind: apparently that version, for all the significant amount of effort that apparently went into it, does not feature any SCIII:AE movesets. Which to my mind really means the game is not SCIII:AE in any significant sense--no offense intended to the modders working on that project or their contributions.
First of all, thank you to take your time to make research about that game for me. It's really nice. :)
So, if I understand correctly, there's a resurrection of this project but it didn't feature any SC3:AE moveset ? Does it mean special moves from this edition are not included ?
I heard Hwang, Amy and Li Long are part of the main roster in this edition.

Anyway, thanks again :)

This hooded figure is to represent siegfried ?

project_logo1280b.jpg

I also don't remember the storyboard images being in any cinematic (ie SC3 Nightmare pointing his blade at the camera, then the hooded character turning his head over his shoulder)

Also: Rapper Zas:
1608633296249.png

Last edited:

View attachment 87440

I also don't remember the storyboard images being in any cinematic (ie SC3 Nightmare pointing his blade at the camera, then the hooded character turning his head over his shoulder)

That reminds me of, but is not exactly the same as, the cinematic in the forsaken cathedral when Siegfried is standing at the railing at the edge of the stage and Nightmare approaches him from behind for their final confrontation. The head turning is used when Zasalamel appears once Sieg defeats Nightmare.
All the other characters got a variation of the above, as well: some of them fight Sieg, then Zas, or Nightmare, then Zas, depending on their moral alignment in the story, if I'm remembering it correctly.
That storyboard looks like an early version of what they went with. I also like that iteration of Siegfried, showing some significant malfestation and trying to cloak himself to hide his identity.

Edit: I also cracked up when the interviewer asked about Zas's "MP3 player." I would have died for an MP3 player that looked like that, back in the day, lmfao!!!

First of all, thank you to take your time to make research about that game for me. It's really nice. :)
So, if I understand correctly, there's a resurrection of this project but it didn't feature any SC3:AE moveset ? Does it mean special moves from this edition are not included ?
I heard Hwang, Amy and Li Long are part of the main roster in this edition.

Anyway, thanks again :)
Happy to help. :)

Yes, that is correct: in the actual original SCIII:AE release, 14 of the 17 bonus characters with their half-baked, incomplete movesets are removed entirely, but the three characters who are retained (Hwang, Li Long, Amy) were augmented into fully developed and competetive styles. Namco seem to have realized, too late, that packing a competitive game full of content to appease the casual audience at the cost of basic balance and gameplay was, you know, not the greatest idea for a fighter. AE was an attempt to turn back the clock on that and, in a strictly technical sense, it succeeds: AE is as balanced as any other final version of a game in the series.

And its not just the Bonus characters that got updated: the entire roster's movesets were tweaked, as were some of the game's fundamental systems, includingsome features that had been more or less gamebreaking in the degree to which they could be gamed in high level play. Unfortunately, it came too late to rescue and already destroyed tournament scene for the game, and a lot of people mark SCIII:CE's release as the origin of downward trend in popularity for the series over the following decade plus.

And yes, so unfortunately the project being promoted in that thread not only does not contain the movesets and basic gameplay tweaks of Amy, Hwang and Li Long: it doesn't contain the SCIII:AE movesets of any of the characters. So it's not really the AE in any real, substantive sense: it's basically SCIII:CE with some of the AE window dressing and play modes and menus, I guess. And there seem to be some persistent technical issues that make a change in that unlikely any time soon. Unfortunately, there are simultaneous technical barriers preventing System 246 (the original hardware the arcade version ran on) games from being emulated on MAME, PCSX2, or any independent framework. So it really does seem the only way to play the game for the foreseeable future is an investment in an arcade unit of some sort.

View attachment 87440

Also: Rapper Zas:
View attachment 87441
-just shakes head- You know, you want to be annoyed with them when they insist that the first (and at that point only) black main character in the series would surely be a "rap MC" in modern times, but you know it just mostly comes from a very clueless place, Japan being what it is.

....off course, that criticsm said, one can't deny that a golden eye would have been pretty clutch as 90's rapper bling.

And can you imagine if they actually had gone in that direction for the ending to his Tale of Souls narrative? (because they do situate the end of his story in the future/present day, but he is some sort mastermind tycoon presiding over a psuedo-utopia). Imagine instead Zasalamel performing Engrish hiphop as written by the writers of Soulcalibur: oh wow, in a schadenfreude kind of way, it surely would have been worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
-just shakes head- You know, you want to be annoyed with them when they insist that the first (and at that point only) black main character in the series would surely be a "rap MC" in modern times, but you know it just mostly comes from a very clueless place, Japan being what it is.

....off course, that criticsm said, one can't deny that a golden eye would have been pretty clutch as 90's rapper bling.
Would Zas's facial structure actually be inspired a modern day MC ?
I don't think SC actually models their characters are modern-day celebrities (unlike Tekken, which has pretty obvious direct homages).
I think some of the Patroklos concept art actually had present-day photos of models, so maybe they're just using modern people as references rather than than inspiration.

I don't think SC actually models their characters are modern-day celebrities (unlike Tekken, which has pretty obvious direct homages)
I think you are right.
I've heard some people remark stuff along the lines that Hilde looks like Natalie Portman, or that Siegfried in the older SC games resembled young Travis Fimmel, haha. I mean, I suppose the similarities are there but I think it's subjective, and definitely not as deliberate as in Tekken.

And can you imagine if they actually had gone in that direction for the ending to his Tale of Souls narrative? (because they do situate the end of his story in the future/present day, but he is some sort mastermind tycoon presiding over a psuedo-utopia). Imagine instead Zasalamel performing Engrish hiphop as written by the writers of Soulcalibur: oh wow, in a schadenfreude kind of way, it surely would have been worth the price of admission.

I was thinking the same thing lmao.

Me personally, I think Zasalamel would be an author in modern times. I'm certain he would have a myriad of things to write about from his lives. (I mean hey, i'm pretty sure one of his SCIII endings is basically that anyways, so)

Merry Caliburmas everyone. It’s that time again for SantAzwel Claus to see who’s been a good little soul and who’s a filthy malfested. But first:
Show some common sense and do not take heavy offense to this or take it TOO seriously.

Rusted Blade

Klimat

Spanky

Ukkesh

Tikal

Devon

weshookhands

werewolfgold

Ramusv20

Fleshmasher

SSfox

Soul

Starringrole

Mokamoka827

REPROBEAN_CHILD

Alexandra

RyujiSakamoto

Project Bokuho

SpellcraftQuill

CFW

Foot

Heniek

Ninjaguy446

CelestialZodiac

JohnMcKee

Sytus

RaphMcSorel

KALIFINA

Thylacine492

The Ghost of LisaK

And several other people I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Vergeben

DanteSC3

Nyte

To all good souls shall receive gifts and good wishes to all of SantAzwel Claus and humanity. The rotten shall be claimed by Soul Edge.

A56D723E-E463-424C-BA63-51A5C2B2EB8B.jpeg

Back