Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

If he does return, I'm sure they'll choose his SC4 moveset. It's way more fun anyways. Imagine how crazy crawl stance would be in soul charge.

I'm add some more delusion to the growing pile. In the event that they really are cooking up some sort of expansion/port/season 3 for fall 2021 or later then I would say it makes sense for them to take longer due to the remaining pool of characters.

Yun-Seong was neglected in SC3 and SC4 so they would need to really work on him to make him a good character again. Perhaps they will give him 5 more stances or something, anything to pull him out of D tier status. Of course for Rock they would need to basically make an almost new style or gameplan for him since they gave a lot of his most iconic stuff to Asta so...this is all a lot of work and I could see them taking ages to complete it.

But more likely is they are done. I see okubo tweeting some pacman or whatever thing again, hopefully the fall will bring some good news but I'm doubtful.

Yun-seong was only bad in SCIV & BD. Look at Mi-na in SCIII:AE - SCIV:BD being total garbage. SCVI Mi-na has been Top 5 since the 1st bug fix patch.

STONE = Rock would get a major revamp like Hwang did if he's in a potential SCVI S3.

1621655787172.png

I also liked SC4 LM look a lot more, and his bite attacks.
And i strongly dislike the wings and fire breath(dragonman?)
Imo totally unnecessary for him.
This. So much.

Both his P1 & P2 looked really good and unique in SC4. Giving him chicken wings was very stupid.
It's such a confusing design choice, and it's not entirely clear how much this came out of experimentation with the art assets for Devil Jin (there is clearly some overlap between the two, though arguably Kratos is the bigger influence at the end of the day) versus a roadmap set out at the beginning to take this character down this weird thematic and mechanical path. Perhaps something between the two, but I think Aeon, like numerous other bizarre choices in SCV (which is a game I regularly defend as a more than alright fighter, but one which clearly has its issues), is the result of the fact that the development was so rushed and underfunded for SCV, from all indications--and the new direction for the game so radical, and it's lead designer so devoted to that angle--that they sometimes got committed to design paths that were so odd that they might have gotten dropped in favor of redesigns or new iterations, had there been a more typical production timeline. But here, the crunch was probably so substantial that once the man hours were sunk into some of these crazy decisions, there was just no turning back. I also noted in an interview some years back that Daishi was previously the person to design the Kratos moveset in SC:BD, so that explains how some of his elements got recycled as well.

All of that said, while I would agree that the flying and flame breathing are, at the least, questionable additions to the moveset and aesthetic, dismissing Aeon's moveset because of them would be myopic. Those moves may be some of his most flashy individual moves, but they're niche in application at best and not really the best representatiion of high level play with Aeon in SCV. Rather, Aeon is a very technical but potentially very rewarding option in SCV for players who like some decent combo potential: in particular his wall combos are just insane, and represent some of the highest damage guaranteed strings in the game (and SCV is a decently combo heavy variation on the Soul Calibur formula to begin with), but you had to have your timing, your positioning, and your baiting down to a science.

So I actually applaud what they did with SCV Aeon as a whole, even if it did mean dropping his classic moveset. I can give or take the 'dragonman' stuff, but in any event, with Soul Charge and deeper movesets in general being the rule of SCVI, I don't see why we can't expect some form of a composite character. Of course details like the mystic powers clashing with the classical style a little, and the differential in number and type of weapons between the various versions, mean that there are some limitations on how much they can get to work with one design.

But more likely is they are done. I see okubo tweeting some pacman or whatever thing again, hopefully the fall will bring some good news but I'm doubtful.
Unfortunately, I have to agree. I don't think it makes sense as a production priority or money maker to be chasing after some new version of SCVI for the new gen. They couldn't even charge for it for most people downloading and playing it on PS5/XBSX/XBSS, because that's not how sequential generation games work any more: for most major publisher games, if you own a game on the PS4 or XBONE, it's expected that your license will port to the PS5 or XBSX/XBSS, respectively. And woe be to the company that tries to do an end run around that expectation with a content update and product rebranding, at this moment in time. So they would be investing in a new version to chase down sales to just the very small handful of the consumer base who would be interested in a Soul Calibur game, but for some reason have not already bought this one? That can't be a market share that justifies such an investment, let alone one that bubbles to the top of the company's many production priorities as they move in to the next gen. Even a next-gen port seems like a dubious decision, let alone the major new version.

Besides, they only have so much staff to spread between their 3D fighters: remember that Project Soul is not quite a standing studio, but an ad-hoc team that gets most of its rank-and-file skillsets/production team composited from talent of other teams (mostly Tekken) when the flagship fighter's development cycle is on the downbeat. But right now, you have to think that a lot of that man power (indeed, up to and including senior Project Soul staff) is probably being cycled back to doing the first couple years of pre-production design and planning for Tekken especially--and probably other products as well, as they experiment with the new hardware.

No, I hate to say it, but the most likely explanation here follows Ockham's Razor, and if they had big additional plans for SCVI, we'd most likely have had some indication by now. Mind you, I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong here, but given the reality of the economics of the last year and the recession we are still in, compounded by the clear cross-over into gen nine, and how slowly the last of the content staggered out for Season 2, this was always the most likely outcome--though I really had my fingers crossed that they would greenlight one more season as part of their obvious effort with their most recent fighters to cement the continuing support paradigm as the standard one for their products in the genre.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but the most likely explanation here follows Ockham's Razor, and if they had big additional plans for SCVI, we'd most likely have had some indication by now.

Keep your fingers crossed for Evo, the online event is between August 6-8 and 13-15. If we don't have anything by then, it's fair to say development on SC6 has ceased.

It's such a confusing design choice, and it's not entirely clear how much this came out of experimentation with the art assets for Devil Jin (there is clearly some overlap between the two, though arguably Kratos is the bigger influence at the end of the day) versus a roadmap set out at the beginning to take this character down this weird thematic and mechanical path. Perhaps something between the two, but I think Aeon, like numerous other bizarre choices in SCV (which is a game I regularly defend as a more than alright fighter, but one which clearly has its issues), is the result of the fact that the development was so rushed and underfunded for SCV, from all indications--and the new direction for the game so radical, and it's lead designer so devoted to that angle--that they sometimes got committed to design paths that were so odd that they might have gotten dropped in favor of redesigns or new iterations, had there been a more typical production timeline. But here, the crunch was probably so substantial that once the man hours were sunk into some of these crazy decisions, there was just no turning back. I also noted in an interview some years back that Daishi was previously the person to design the Kratos moveset in SC:BD, so that explains how some of his elements got recycled as well.

All of that said, while I would agree that the flying and flame breathing are, at the least, questionable additions to the moveset and aesthetic, dismissing Aeon's moveset because of them would be myopic. Those moves may be some of his most flashy individual moves, but they're niche in application at best and not really the best representatiion of high level play with Aeon in SCV. Rather, Aeon is a very technical but potentially very rewarding option in SCV for players who like some decent combo potential: in particular his wall combos are just insane, and represent some of the highest damage guaranteed strings in the game (and SCV is a decently combo heavy variation on the Soul Calibur formula to begin with), but you had to have your timing, your positioning, and your baiting down to a science.

So I actually applaud what they did with SCV Aeon as a whole, even if it did mean dropping his classic moveset. I can give or take the 'dragonman' stuff, but in any event, with Soul Charge and deeper movesets in general being the rule of SCVI, I don't see why we can't expect some form of a composite character. Of course details like the mystic powers clashing with the classical style a little, and the differential in number and type of weapons between the various versions, mean that there are some limitations on how much they can get to work with one design.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I don't think it makes sense as a production priority or money maker to be chasing after some new version of SCVI for the new gen. They couldn't even charge for it for most people downloading and playing it on PS5/XBSX/XBSS, because that's not how sequential generation games work any more: for most major publisher games, if you own a game on the PS4 or XBONE, it's expected that your license will port to the PS5 or XBSX/XBSS, respectively. And woe be to the company that tries to do an end run around that expectation with a content update and product rebranding, at this moment in time. So they would be investing in a new version to chase down sales to just the very small handful of the consumer base who would be interested in a Soul Calibur game, but for some reason have not already bought this one? That can't be a market share that justifies such an investment, let alone one that bubbles to the top of the company's many production priorities as they move in to the next gen. Even a next-gen port seems like a dubious decision, let alone the major new version.

Besides, they only have so much staff to spread between their 3D fighters: remember that Project Soul is not quite a standing studio, but an ad-hoc team that gets most of its rank-and-file skillsets/production team composited from talent of other teams (mostly Tekken) when the flagship fighter's development cycle is on the downbeat. But right now, you have to think that a lot of that man power (indeed, up to and including senior Project Soul staff) is probably being cycled back to doing the first couple years of pre-production design and planning for Tekken especially--and probably other products as well, as they experiment with the new hardware.

No, I hate to say it, but the most likely explanation here follows Ockham's Razor, and if they had big additional plans for SCVI, we'd most likely have had some indication by now. Mind you, I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong here, but given the reality of the economics of the last year and the recession we are still in, compounded by the clear cross-over into gen nine, and how slowly the last of the content staggered out for Season 2, this was always the most likely outcome--though I really had my fingers crossed that they would greenlight one more season as part of their obvious effort with their most recent fighters to cement the continuing support paradigm as the standard one for their products in the genre.
Well Aeon was a character that played a heavy emphasis on spacing with his 66A (arguably the best horizontal mid in SCV), and whiff punishment, topped with also the best RO game within SCV and good setups at the wall. He was generally ranked around the middle of SCV’s lifespan (between Maxi and Astaroth iirc). He had his issues but he was a fairly decent character.

AT LAST, the 2nd Season Pass is getting a price drop!
Just bought it ! :D

AT LAST, the 2nd Season Pass is getting a price drop!
Just bought it ! :D

Finally! I'm already downloading it. I hope we get a third season soon.

If I have to choose between SC4 and SC5 Aeon, i would prefer the second one. But as it has been said before, the best it would be a combination of both.
For me the most important thing it would be a big costume pack focused on the especific species like the Lizardmans.

Back