Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Hey! Just dropping by to say that it gives me warm fuzzies to see some of these threads are still alive and 8wr hasn't completely shat the bed now that Season 2 has come and gone.
Hope everyone's doing well :)

Find it weird that Harada answered this

Basically this guy asked about if SC7 release some day, to add as DLC some of newcomers in SC5 like ZWEI and Pyrrah

Without meaning to sound contrarian, that doesn't seem too weird to me: it's anyone's guess who the production lead will be for SCVII, but Harada is once again now easily the most recognizable and public-facing senior Namco dev likely to be associated with the franchise in the minds of fans, now that Okubo has moved on to other pursuits. In other words, it's just good PR to be indulgent of these inquiries.

Mind you, I imagine he gets every possible permutation of request from super fans and would probably rather not answer them piecemeal like this, but (for better or worse), Namco/Project Soul's approach to PR for the last development cycle has been to let the leading development team engage in social media dialogue with the fans, rather than having dedicated public relations staff for the product.

That decision probably reflects budget constraints more than anything, but if that's the way they are going to do it, said devs are probably resigned to the tedium of engaging at this granular level with fans, and it's not so weird to me that Harada would answer at least some of these nagging, random suggestions/requests/inquiries. But or what it's worth, I don't even follow the social media of the team very closely (really just what I see posted here for the most part), and yet I do recall times when the devs have been...shall we say...less gracious with their answers.

Without meaning to sound contrarian, that doesn't seem too weird to me: it's anyone's guess who the production lead will be for SCVII, but Harada is once again now easily the most recognizable and public-facing senior Namco dev likely to be associated with the franchise in the minds of fans, now that Okubo has moved on to other pursuits. In other words, it's just good PR to be indulgent of these inquiries.

Mind you, I imagine he gets every possible permutation of request from super fans and would probably rather not answer them piecemeal like this, but (for better or worse), Namco/Project Soul's approach to PR for the last development cycle has been to let the leading development team engage in social media dialogue with the fans, rather than having dedicated public relations staff for the product.

That decision probably reflects budget constraints more than anything, but if that's the way they are going to do it, said devs are probably resigned to the tedium of engaging at this granular level with fans, and it's not so weird to me that Harada would answer at least some of these nagging, random suggestions/requests/inquiries. But or what it's worth, I don't even follow the social media of the team very closely (really just what I see posted here for the most part), and yet I do recall times when the devs have been...shall we say...less gracious with their answers.
It's very rare i hear Harada mention Soul Calibur and here he respond to a question related to SC7. I hear him mention Street Fighter way more that Soul Calibur just saying. That's why it surprise me

It's very rare i hear Harada mention Soul Calibur and here he respond to a question related to SC7 . . . That's why it surprise me
Ahh, I didn't realize he was that reticent to talk about it these days.

I hear him mention Street Fighter way more that Soul Calibur just saying.
Hahaha, well he can't very well wind up Ono without talking about SF now and again. ;)

I wonder who will be project lead for SCVII when the times comes: it's been a long while since I looked into who was where (in what position) for that team, so I don't even have a good guess at who it would be--or even a high degree of confidence that I would recognize the name.

By the power of necromancy I shall rise this thread from the underworld and post new art from.... a crossover event.

Yeah, KOF All Star is going wild with these crossovers. I don't play the mobile game, but I do collect the art from it when it gets posted. Enjoy.

All Stars Soul Calibur.jpgAll Stars Ivy SC5.pngAll Stars Cassandra SC4.pngAll Stars Ivy.pngAll Stars Taki.pngAll Stars Seong Mina.pngAll Stars Cassandra.png

Adding in another one for good measures.
It's not everyday we get new SoulCalibur material after all :D

Attachments

• maxresdefault.png
    maxresdefault.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
Makes you wonder how character popularity is perceived in japan.
I'm not surprised they went all waifus but still good choices and a nice signal to "hey remember about the SC universe!"

Also: any thoughts on what Tekken 8's trailers mean for SC ?
• Environmental damage ? (screen darkens when King punches Jack into the explosive cannisters)
• The stages look amazing, and is worlds more interesting than SC6's stages.
• Harada says they're not re-using any graphical assets from previous Tekken, and I'm hoping we get to see higher poly/res character designs in SC7 as well

For the next SC, as i suggested many time before they need to have a proper online with no created characters. It's still blow my mind that it wasn't already the case in SC6.

There's nothing wrong with using custom characters online. All they have to do is just use the same height and range as the original weapon user and you're basically playing against the original character.

1000% disagree. Why can't you understand that some don't want random created characters in their screen, and they want SC when they play SC?

Character creation was a mistake, it should have stayed to single player only.

Nonsense argument. It was introduced in SC3 and it's been in every game since. It's part of SC for the past 17 years.

In SC4, you could play them online.
In SC5, you could play them online.
In SC7, you're gonna see them online.
In SC8, you're gonna see them online.
In SC69, you're gonna see them online.

You also didn't address this:

There's no issue with this. They don't have a different range or damage if you implement this.
It's nonsens if you block your mind.

There's nothing wrong with using custom characters online. All they have to do is just use the same height and range as the original weapon user and you're basically playing against the original character.
This is false. The main issue with CaS is they don't have the same hurtbox skeletons of the style they're mimicking, this is true regardless of if you've selected the "recommended" height and has been a problem ever since CaS got introduced to the series.

The reason why people are making such a fuss of this now is because online is now being taken much more seriously than it has in years past and people that want to try and play the game seriously are forced to deal with CaS jank and they have no option to avoid it. When competitive players from outside the community tried to play Soul Calibur and asked why CaS was allowed in ranked they were told something along the lines of "If you don't like it leave" so they did leave. What a shame.

In the future CaS needs to be removed from ranked at minimum otherwise people will just treat it like a joke and will likely stop playing the game.

False statement and I can easily support what the Cam Man here is saying. CaS skeleton builds are not the same as the default cast. Nightmare and Astaroth being two prime examples. They both suffer from a hurtbox issue on their sidestep that prevents it from getting through verticals. Nightmare’s demon arm for example gets clipped during his step; both side and back. Default CaS build however does not have the arm present so he can do it much more freely than vanilla flavoured NM. Asta is self explanatory with his bulk. Nuff said.

And not to mention CaS has always been banned from tournaments and competitive settings no matter what size or build the creation is. It’s just too jank to work with no matter what has been done, like in SCV with the CaS only Devil Jin where he was banned for the longest time because of his CaS status. Even with a default build in mind that contained and deemed the “least janky” it still had the core problems of your typical CaS: hitbox/hurtbox issues that create random whiffs no matter the situation. Which is why nobody bothered to use him (that and the fact he was gutter trash).

And really, CaS should definitely be banned from Ranked modes because of it, and I will forever stand by this. It’s also why several people (myself included) outright refuse to rematch CaS characters, win or lose.

While it has been an age since I've played SC6, in my experience you only come across CaS characters in low ranks. I don't get the argument that they're a problem when the people who use them do so because they're playing the game for fun, not for mastering the game. The competitive crowd is in S, A and B ranks who all have the same mindset about sticking with official characters only.

While it has been an age since I've played SC6, in my experience you only come across CaS characters in low ranks. I don't get the argument that they're a problem when the people who use them do so because they're playing the game for fun, not for mastering the game. The competitive crowd is in S, A and B ranks who all have the same mindset about sticking with official characters only.
Yet there are quite a chunk of those in the higher ranks that DO use the hell out of CaS (though it’s arguably the least common on PC) be it online competitive or not in Ranked. And when you’ve fought enough of those you really start to see the issue.

Back