Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Dragons Fury

[02] Apprentice
I saw the title of the article and was worried, but thankfully it's actually extremely respectful towards the Soul series.
Don't worry about Soul Calibur. The series has sold millions of copies, it ain't gonna stop being made.

Soul Calibur 5 disappointed, the free-to-play bombed, and we STILL got a 6th game after all that. That should convince you right there that the series is here to stay.

You can look at other games too. Mass Effect: Andromeda was a big disappointment, bigger than SC5, and it still gets another game in ME4. Devil May Cry 2 was a stepdown from 1, and they still made a 3rd game. Deus Ex; Invisible War was considered worse than Deus Ex 1, it got another game made by a different team called Deus Ex: Human Revolution and was hailed as a comeback for Deus Ex.

I could go on and on, you get my point - don't worry about a franchise that has a history of positive sales and reviews.

SSfox

[14] Master
Soul Calibur 2 is still the best Soul to me. Just saw the opening and it give me chills that i very rarely feel. There is something about the tone and atmosphere that is just so special and awesome, it almost feel like the people that made it were pre Fromsoftware guys.

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
Don't worry about Soul Calibur. The series has sold millions of copies, it ain't gonna stop being made.

Soul Calibur 5 disappointed, the free-to-play bombed, and we STILL got a 6th game after all that. That should convince you right there that the series is here to stay.

You can look at other games too. Mass Effect: Andromeda was a big disappointment, bigger than SC5, and it still gets another game in ME4. Devil May Cry 2 was a stepdown from 1, and they still made a 3rd game. Deus Ex; Invisible War was considered worse than Deus Ex 1, it got another game made by a different team called Deus Ex: Human Revolution and was hailed as a comeback for Deus Ex.

I could go on and on, you get my point - don't worry about a franchise that has a history of positive sales and reviews.
Let’s not forget about Sonic. The franchise managed to endure duds that would have sank most others.

Dragons Fury

[02] Apprentice
Let’s not forget about Sonic. The franchise managed to endure duds that would have sank most others.
Like I said, I could go on and on. After giving 3 examples, I didn't want to add another.

Also Sonic 2006 was an epic fail. All these people worrying about the future of the Soul Calibur have no idea what Sonic fans had to deal with in 2006. To this day, it's Wikipedia page has restricted editing to prevent vandalism.

Soul Calibur 2 is still the best Soul to me.
I played this recently and I'm convinced that 90% of people who say this, is due to nostalgia. The improvements 6 has made to the controls has put the gameplay in a much better place. In 2, the feel was a little clunky (Voldo especially felt worse to play compared to 6). 2 has better pacing because there's no Reversal Edge or long Critical Edge animations but on everything else (especially balance) 6 is better.

Also, Reversal Edge is balanced. All they have to do is get rid of the rock-paper-scissors part and it's in a good place. The Critical Edges that have long animations were way more annoying than Reversal Edge.

Crash X

[14] Master
I played this recently and I'm convinced that 90% of people who say this, is due to nostalgia. The improvements 6 has made to the controls has put the gameplay in a much better place.
CD010E4B-A60E-4BD4-BA52-6B4811615CA5.gif

In 2, the feel was a little clunky (Voldo especially felt worse to play compared to 6).

As a Voldo main, I thought this was a good joke.

2 has better pacing because there's no Reversal Edge or long Critical Edge animations
It just has a faster pace in general, ranging from it’s movement speed, GI speed, step G, attack animations, and even the weight of the game as a whole. It constantly keeps you on your toes while playing.

Also, Reversal Edge is balanced. All they have to do is get rid of the rock-paper-scissors part and it's in a good place. The Critical Edges that have long animations were way more annoying than Reversal Edge.
So basically just get rid of it entirely then. Excellent. After all, it may as well not exist if those are the changes.

Dragons Fury

[02] Apprentice
As a Voldo main, I thought this was a good joke.
I was talking about how he felt, not about how strong or weak he was. So many characters felt like their moves ended abruptly compared to 6 where the moves felt more fluid and complete. Also you should work on your tone buddy - mocking people ain't gonna make them listen to you.

It constantly keeps you on your toes while playing.
That's the best part of SC2. This is coming from someone who started with 5, then 6, and played 2 on an emulator. I can see why many say 2 is the best but I don't think they give 6 enough credit when it comes to gameplay.

So basically just get rid of it entirely then.
Why are you taking an all-or-nothing approach? Get rid of the minigame and it improves the flow of combat. The rock-paper-scissors and breaking up the flow is why it's detested, not the strength of Reversal Edge itself. Just ending the minigame is enough but maybe they can turn it into a break attack to prevent counter-Reversal-Edging. Hard to say without testing, but it doesn't need to be removed completely - just changed.

Crash X

[14] Master
I was talking about how he felt, not about how strong or weak he was. So many characters felt like their moves ended abruptly compared to 6 where the moves felt more fluid and complete. Also you should work on your tone buddy - mocking people ain't gonna make them listen to you.
It can be taken either way really. And honestly Voldo feels fine. From what I felt he’s pretty much remained the same in movement and animation.

I don't think they give 6 enough credit when it comes to gameplay.
And I understand that to an extent, but it’s also not hard to see why some people amongst the community don’t really like it. Be it the return of the verizontals that were a part of SCV, the already mentioned long CEs and Reversal Edges killing the flow, the fact that Soul Charges can be a ridiculous game changer especially for specific characters and there’s very little ways to properly punish it, or even the over abundance of character specific mechanics or gimmicks in an attempt to “reinvent” the wheel with them. I’m not saying SCVI is bad or anything but I can understand why some just…don’t enjoy it in comparison to other installments.
Why are you taking an all-or-nothing approach? Get rid of the minigame and it improves the flow of combat. The rock-paper-scissors and breaking up the flow is why it's detested, not the strength of Reversal Edge itself. Just ending the minigame is enough but maybe they can turn it into a break attack to prevent counter-Reversal-Edging. Hard to say without testing, but it doesn't need to be removed completely - just changed.
I never said RE was too strong. Hell, I’ll even go out and say it’s super easy to counter. Biggest problem I’ll say is it’s for the most part a redundant and pointless mechanic that adds nothing significantly new to the table. Once you get the hang of using GI’s you’ll only ever end up using RE sparsely if at all. Sure you gain a good amount of meter from it but it’s not really worth it just for that since gaining meter is very easy in the game as a whole and nearly everything you do can fill up almost half a bar.

Honestly not much hope for Reversal Edge no matter what gets done with it. Just best to throw it in the trash bin as a far as I’m concerned.

SSfox

[14] Master
Like I said, I could go on and on. After giving 3 examples, I didn't want to add another.

Also Sonic 2006 was an epic fail. All these people worrying about the future of the Soul Calibur have no idea what Sonic fans had to deal with in 2006. To this day, it's Wikipedia page has restricted editing to prevent vandalism.

I played this recently and I'm convinced that 90% of people who say this, is due to nostalgia. The improvements 6 has made to the controls has put the gameplay in a much better place. In 2, the feel was a little clunky (Voldo especially felt worse to play compared to 6). 2 has better pacing because there's no Reversal Edge or long Critical Edge animations but on everything else (especially balance) 6 is better.

SC6 is super great. But still lack things that make me put it above SC2. SC2 gameplay is more basic, but also more solid, i also prefer the tone and atmosphere of SC2 that has less of that cringey anime feel to it compare to recent SC games. Also no CaS in SC2 is another win, i mean i like being able to make costume for characters, specially since there are no alt costumes in the game, but not a fan of character creation being forced in all online modes.

Just played online recently since a very big while. Main issue to me with SC6 is the CaS thing, actually almost forgot about it, i met a Sophitia at first then a Siegfried, then 3 rd player a CaS character and ... yeah, it remind me that aspect i'm not a big fan of of the recent SC games there are other things that could be better, some stages looks awesome while other looks a bit fast made not polished enough. Online is not good also. There are things i dislike about gameplay but overall it's still very good and fun SC game, best since SC2 imo.

Honestly for SC7 they really need to do something about that CaS thing, seprate that shit or idk, the way it is right now is pure disaster, i want Soul Calibur when i go online, not Sims Calibur!!

Dragons Fury

[02] Apprentice
It can be taken either way really. And honestly Voldo feels fine. From what I felt he’s pretty much remained the same in movement and animation.
Fair enough. The animation is the same but the execution felt clunkier to me. Either way, I can understand your view on him.

Be it the return of the verizontals that were a part of SCV, the already mentioned long CEs and Reversal Edges killing the flow, the fact that Soul Charges can be a ridiculous game changer especially for specific characters and there’s very little ways to properly punish it,
All of these are valid points.

or even the over abundance of character specific mechanics or gimmicks in an attempt to “reinvent” the wheel with them.
This is where I disagree. Even with all the gimmicks, the balance felt good so it was fine. They handled the gimmicks properly it never felt like a character was unplayable or too strong, at least not at the end of season 2.

Once you get the hang of using GI’s you’ll only ever end up using RE sparsely if at all.
Offline sure, online I doubt it. The netcode is so bad and doesn't keep up with the pacing of the game, that landing a GI there is a lot harder I find than RE. Either way, I see your point on Reversal Edge and I'm ok with it being gone. I just think the developers should play around with it during development for SC7 to see if it's still worth it or not.

This post had a much better tone to it than the 1st reply you gave so thanks. You convinced me on a bunch of points.

i also prefer the tone and atmosphere of SC2 that has less of that cringey anime feel to it compare to recent SC games.
The Soul series always has art styles and graphics that look good to me. I never felt 6 was cringe.

Just played online recently since a very big while
That was a mistake. This netcode just isn't gonna cut it for a fast paced game like 6.

Honestly for SC7 they really need to do something about that CaS thing,
The only issue I have with CAS online is changing the height which affects hitboxes, range, and damage. Otherwise it's fine for them to be online.