Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

There's actually 4 stages confirmed, right ?

The Eurydice Shrine, the Snow stage, Geralt's stage and the one where Ivy and Zasalamel are fighting (look a burning castle or cathedral) .

Cassandra’s fighting style looks better in my opinion but the devs have a jokey position for her. Sophitia seems to have more girly animations in general even though some of Cassie’s taunts and stuff are kind of quirky to use on a guy.

Take this from someone with a Cynical Xiba who had to hold down certain buttons to avoid specific win poses. But he has weapons suiting both his predecessors while Mi-Na had a taunt that was out of place on certain characters.

Xianghua’s CE pose post-victory looks too goofy with a peace sign. That’s probably just my CaS but speaking. Taunts can be avoided.

I'm also worried Namco will quickly run out of ideas if they're forced to give every character a unique weapon. I like that most of the fighting styles in SC are based on weapons which actually exist in real life, but they might end up going all-in with bizarre fantasy stuff if every new character must have a weapon not seen before. Like in SC5 where the new weapons introduced were floating balls and a flying wolf thing.

No game ever could have a large enough roster to even begin to cover a quarter of the unique weapons that exist in real life. If we were in any threat of needing fantasy weapons because we were running out of real weapons to emulate, well then we'd have more characters already than we'd know what to do with. Not to mention having at that point more characters than all previous fighting games ever created, not limited to the soul series, combined. If this is truly a concern for you, then perhaps you need to do a bit more research on all the real weapons which have existed throughout history.

No game ever could have a large enough roster to even begin to cover a quarter of the unique weapons that exist in real life. If we were in any threat of needing fantasy weapons because we were running out of real weapons to emulate, well then we'd have more characters already than we'd know what to do with. Not to mention having at that point more characters than all previous fighting games ever created, not limited to the soul series, combined. If this is truly a concern for you, then perhaps you need to do a bit more research on all the real weapons which have existed throughout history.
Look at what Namco is doing though. In early SC games, most of the new characters got weapons from real life. But SC3 and forward Namco have been introducing characters with more fantastical weapons with each installment.

While there is indeed several weapons that Namco didn't tap, many of them would end up as clones nevertheless, think like this, Kilik uses a staff and Mina a Naginata, they share a few moves and the reason is because building a whole style around these weapons in a realistic manner would make a very dull or small style. A lot of the weapons people bring up are just short swords, scimitars, cutlasses and so on.

Also, SC clones are not nearly as bad as SF or Tekken, when people say there is over 4 Mishimas they mean it, hell some people count Kuma even because he have a few shared moves as well.

Kuma is the pet of a Mishima to be fair.

The Alexandra sisters feel different enough.

Rock and Mi-Na feel worse than their replacements yet Mi-Na has really different weapons since Kilik never wants to use a bladed polearm. Maybe her absence might let Kilik use one like Xiba could.

Lizzy replaced Kratos arguably.

Look at what Namco is doing though. In early SC games, most of the new characters got weapons from real life. But SC3 and forward Namco have been introducing characters with more fantastical weapons with each installment.

Not quite sure about that one, SC4 was pretty tame with new weapons, a spear with a little sword and a rapier, guests doesn't really count in my opinion. Sure 5 went over the top with the crystal ball and a wolf spirit, but 4 was still okay I think.

Not quite sure about that one, SC4 was pretty tame with new weapons, a spear with a little sword and a rapier, guests doesn't really count in my opinion. Sure 5 went over the top with the crystal ball and a wolf spirit, but 4 was still okay I think.
SC4 definitely was the least crazy out of the latest games, but it did have Algol and I don't even know how to describe his weapon. SC3 introduced characters using farming equipment and a hula hoop as weapons. Not saying those are bad, but I would like to see some realistic weapons now and then. And I personally don't want too many completely-out-there fantastical weapons like ZWEI's wolf thing or Algol's whatever-he's-using.

As unique as some weapons and fighting styles are, the series has strayed away from its premise as a multi-national fighter “on the stage of history” in recent installments. SC3 brought us (bonus characters not included) a iaidojutsu practitioner and the series’ first black character, alongside Tira and her ringblade. SC4 gave us only Hilde (another character from a Germanic background but unique nonetheless)...and Algol.

SCV changed the script a bit but for the most part all the new characters were just expies of old ones, with the exception of ZWEI and Viola, neither of which have fighting styles rooted in real world cultures.

Only time will tell if rebooting the series is going to bring back the concept of the “stage of history”, and whether or not Grøh is an indication of what kind of new characters we’ll be getting. Not to say that that’s bad, but I don’t want the series to lose its niche more than it already has.

Maybe Grøh have been created to eliminate Pyrrha/Ω, but we know the SC 6 probably was abandoned and new team changing the whole concept of SC 6 to soft reboot. He is very futuristic for that new timeline.

Also, SC clones are not nearly as bad as SF or Tekken, when people say there is over 4 Mishimas they mean it, hell some people count Kuma even because he have a few shared moves as well.
This isn't true, they only have a handful of moves that overlap and even them have variant effects different from one another. As a Kazyua player I do not know Heihachi's or Devil Jin's moves but also normal Jin has a moveset that's completely different from his father's and grandad's.

i was watching some videos and i started to wonder, we never had alternate colors on soul calibur
so this might mean that this time we're not getting 2p costumes, we're getting colors instead
which sucks by the way...

I really want this game to come with Ansel support. I've been taking awesome pictures of Noctis in Tekken 7 and I want to be able to do the same with CAS characters in SC6.

hb2qjhc.jpg

i was watching some videos and i started to wonder, we never had alternate colors on soul calibur
so this might mean that this time we're not getting 2p costumes, we're getting colors instead
which sucks by the way...
Not true, Soul Calibur 3 Arcade Edition has them but in retrospect the arcade version came after the home release.

SC4 definitely was the least crazy out of the latest games, but it did have Algol and I don't even know how to describe his weapon. SC3 introduced characters using farming equipment and a hula hoop as weapons. Not saying those are bad, but I would like to see some realistic weapons now and then. And I personally don't want too many completely-out-there fantastical weapons like ZWEI's wolf thing or Algol's whatever-he's-using.
I agree though I can give some weapons as pass if they still hold up to working the same as normal weapons. SC3 did the right spot-check for that with Zas, Setsuka, and Tira. Its Zwei, Viola and Algol to me that went too far out there. Thankfully at least Groh too fits the standard.

Last edited:
Not true, Soul Calibur 3 Arcade Edition has them but in retrospect the arcade version came after the home release.
The home version had them too. You were able to recolor them, but the default alt colors were still there.

Wait a minute. If the 2P costumes weren't revealed for SC4 and SC5 until nnear--elease, and those games didn't feature alt 1Ps, how did the early builds handle mirror matches?

Back