Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I worry that setsuka soul won't be returning because it looks to similar to Grøh's. If Namco were smart, ZWEI's soul will be returning but maybe in the body of his great grandfather or smth. Viola soul should return too. It would be AWESOME if Viola's fighting style was put in a new elderly lady character like Naurto's Chiyo.

6d04786b7bb8b7f8d21352e21b02bcd4dc4297e0_hq.gif

And for her soul charge, she gets yet younger and her posture/stance changes from hunch backed witch to a Bayonetta type witch.
But with Namco's history of sexism, I doubt they'd be bold enough to have a mature woman character who is not overly sexualised

I want mimics back. Or at least mimic souls. If its not too much to ask being able to choose which souls u want to switch to and from, because I loved Elysium but I couldn't really play Hilde at a competitive level without spamming. Also I want to be able to customise the mimc blade! Elysium's ice sword didn't know go well with my darker creations.
----------

I just launched the download of DBZ fighterz Beta, and i was thinking on how i'm gonna mad crazy excited the day BN will drop a Beta for SC6 on consoles AHHHH (especially if Ivy will be playable in dat Beta, AHHHHHHHHHHH)
Why do you think there will be a beta for us? The promo so far has been trash.
Reposting this here:
Am I really the only one disappointed that SC isn't a traditional freeze frame without a hitbox? It's staggering how much depth it would have brought to the game. The addition of a hitbox is probably one of the most ingeniously lazy balancing decisions I've everseen.
what does this mean?

what does this mean?

If you've played basically any non-NRS 2d fighting game you'll have come across certain moves (v-trigger, instinct mode, x-factor, etc) which have freeze frame animations like supers, but after the animation, you are simply left in a buffed state. These moves tend to have very little start-up or recovery and essentially act as a pause button. The fact that SC has pushback after being activated means you can't attack right after the freeze-frame which prevents you from being able use it as anything other than a low-risk low reward get-off-me move. So the people in charge of balancing the game won't have to worry about combos with SC activated in the middle, people using the freeze frame to see if the opponent is going to tech/duck/attack/GI/RE, or any other interesting things that would have come from this new mechanic.

On another note, I hope we see more creative CE's like viola's or even ZWEI's that aren't just one big damaging attack. They could make SC's more like v-triggers too by giving the character's access to moves that are super cheap like Ibuki bombs and Urien's shields, not just normals with one additional attack at the end.

For guest, I want Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile.
Lenneth with Nibelung Valesti on his Critical Edge would be amazing. =)
tumblr_niv3lyqJdj1r0wlweo1_500.gif

Soul Calibur 6 seems to have some relationship with the norse mythology, with Groh, Yggdrasil...
A Valkyrie would be cool.

I accept 2B too. =P

I wouldn't mind if other fighting game icons like Scorpion or Hayabusa (to go along with Akuma and Geese) would be in SCVI. I mean we only have one or two ninjas already.

Hope so. The ninjas are all either dressed in wetsuits or whatever Yoshi wants to represent.

And not that my OCs may use it but I hope the Spy Robe comes back. Always preferred that on my kunoichis. (See Kasumi, Mai, Kagero from Fire Emblem Fates)

A really left field pick, but how about Zoro from One Piece as a guest? There is an upcoming One piece game called World Seeker, he's a pretty popular character from a popular series, his swordstyle is unique and lends well to the stances direction that the game is taking.

It's pretty 'out there' choice I must admit, but could be interesting if handled well and bring attention to the game which is the main point of guest characters.
In general, people tend to not like anime characters for a series like this. I get why, even i personally would like to see cameo's from other anime (At least as CaS parts instead of an actual character). I wouldn't be against it at all if it helps in sales since i rarely pick up a guest character (Except for Link, he the only one i had fun with).

I personally prefer Mihawk, though
tumblr_mjbmxnU3mT1rwgj3ko1_500.gif

In general, people tend to not like anime characters for a series like this. I get why, even i personally would like to see cameo's from other anime (At least as CaS parts instead of an actual character). I wouldn't be against it at all if it helps in sales since i rarely pick up a guest character (Except for Link, he the only one i had fun with).

I personally prefer Mihawk, though
tumblr_mjbmxnU3mT1rwgj3ko1_500.gif

Yeah fans can be a bit against anime guests, and I understand that stance. I just think it would be an interesting choice and Soul Calibur is very anime already. I think Zoro might be a better pick than Mihawk as he's a main character and his style is very unique, it also goes well with the direction of stances that VI is going for. I can even see the story reason why he's in the game: He got so lost that manged to go to another universe. It would be a nice joke for One Piece fans. Bamco already seems to have the One Piece licence when it comes to gaming, so they should make use of it and gain more potential fans for Soul Calibur.

Guest characters are only for increasing potential fans, so I'm not too invested on who they are (as long as they aren't Heihachi). I also rarely play them too, but if I'm playing with a friend they'd say "cool so and so is in this game".

Last edited:
is there a reason why nobody ever discusses or suggests the possibility of an Orochi warrior guest character, like they aren't a perfect match? They are the only other weapons based 3D fighter. And they character design fits right in the timeline.

tumblr_inline_n03ic1Mw6Z1r9luwj.gif

tumblr_mh911bOH3s1s4sp9mo1_250.gif

a1smrd2.gif

tumblr_npmx4mZeZz1tijv2po2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_p0ycb9nMaJ1tdzqfbo1_r1_400.gif

The fact that Sophitia was in the last Orichi Warriors makes it very likely. I've always wanted a Dynasty Warrior crossover game on the soul calibur engine.

Pardon, what? Mitsurugi, Maxi and Yun-Seong are the only "normal" ones among those you mentioned. Xianghua was always an user of Soul Calibur, and even in SC3 (that I remember, can't confirm if she had before), she has what seemed to be a chi attack, and later she got more magical with her Critical Finish in SC4. Sophitia's sword and shield were also known to be magical, and that got even more obvious in SC4 as well. Taki can teleport and can cause explosions with her hands. Talim was already known to call upon the wind to easily destroy Soul Edge in SC3, and her abilities got much more powerful in her SC4 endings too. Siegfried was Nightmare for a long time. And Seong Mi-na's Critical Finish also has a lot of fire. Which one of those were you calling normal again?
I'm surprised you didn't mention Mitsurugi's, Maxi's, and Yun-Seong's ability to summon fire for their unblockable attacks. In fact, EVERYONE IN SOULCALIBUR HAS PRYOKINESIS! Kappa Also, I once knocked Rock into some lava, but in the next round he was completely unhurt/unburned. Possible mutant healing ability? More investigation needed...

Ghost pirates are, in general, forgettable, so I can understand his position. Besides, "gunsword" isn't that impressive, to be completely honest, and teleporting, while great, hardly makes anyone unique.
Okay, I don't think you were trying to support my point or not, but let me try again. If a teleporting, gunsword-wielding ghost pirate isn't unique until he's ALSO a zombie, then why would you consider the characters I listed above unique? Let's pretend Xianghua has a chi blast (she doesn't, but...). Is she the first Chinese martial artist in a video game to have one? No? Then why not make her half-insect? She could have dragonfly wings that appear during her soul charge and she can fly around the map. And having a fire effect during a super move isn't very unique either. Why not make Seung-Mina into a cyborg? Her Critical Edge could be her shooting a giant laser from her robot eye. You can't deny that it would help her stand out (as long as Devil Jin isn't in the roster).

Do you start to grasp my point? If more supernatural = more interesting, why not carry that to its natural conclusion? Why not make every character in the game a freaky weirdo?

I guess Soul Calibur isn't the game for you, then. We hardly ever had any actual realistic characters, this is a fantasy game.
Dude. Reading comprehension.

I never said I didn't like the supernatural characters in SoulCalibur. Would it surprise you to learn that I actually love most of them? That I actually like vampire Raphael?

I just stated a preference, which was for the more grounded characters in SoulCalibur. SC isn't a pure fantasy world. It's historical fantasy. Besides being a history nerd, I love the historical elements of characters' stories because they frame the fantasy elements in a different context. Additionally, I think they make the supernatural characters stand out more, because they feel special. Additionally, the character design in SC is usually so good that most characters can stand out through their personality, voice acting, moveset, costume and backstory.

In other words, I don't care what you consider realistic. I just listed some of the characters that I feel are "grounded" in the world of SoulCalibur, and said that I prefer them. If you consider them all magical and that's your jam, whatever. I don't know why you're trying to make this an argument.

By the way, have you noticed the feathers in Kilik's SC4 critical finish? I'm pretty sure he's from a race of Birdmen.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Mitsurugi's, Maxi's, and Yun-Seong's ability to summon fire for their unblockable attacks. In fact, EVERYONE IN SOULCALIBUR HAS PRYOKINESIS! Kappa Also, I once knocked Rock into some lava, but in the next round he was completely unhurt/unburned. Possible mutant healing ability? More investigation needed...
You're equating game mechanics to character/lore specific powers characters have from cultural or fantasy-cultural references. That is still pretty grounded if just spirituality is a factor. Characters being in general humans is still grounded. The line I drew was against characters like EIN being more fantasy supernatural than fantasy spiritual.

I might be the only one bugged by this but, if this story is starting from the origins I wish they had redid the models of some of the newer characters to make them actually look younger. I just think Xianghua & Sophitia's faces (vaguely) look too close to how they were in 4 (but thats already been said), though more prominent for me is the costume showing Siegfried in the nightmare armor. Does this game skip the first part of his life before he was nightmare or is he basically the rebooted SC2 nightmare from the getgo? I was just hoping to see a short-haired Siegfried for his debut. Mitsurugi seems to be the only character that actually looks younger to me.

I might be the only one bugged by this but, if this story is starting from the origins I wish they had redid the models of some of the newer characters to make them actually look younger. I just think Xianghua & Sophitia's faces (vaguely) look too close to how they were in 4 (but thats already been said), though more prominent for me is the costume showing Siegfried in the nightmare armor. Does this game skip the first part of his life before he was nightmare or is he basically the rebooted SC2 nightmare from the getgo? I was just hoping to see a short-haired Siegfried for his debut. Mitsurugi seems to be the only character that actually looks younger to me.
SC2-3-4 all happen in the same year, two years after SC1 IIRC, they wouldn't be that different.

Back