Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Do you think, girls and guys, that Namco will, this time, respect the character reveal's timeline for April and next months ?

Can we expect, for example, a character reveal mid-April (as Geralt was announced mid-March) ? Or it will still be the last Thursday of the month ?

If they show something mid april, it will probably be just 2 characters. But if they do it the last thursday of the month, it would be fine to expect at least 3 characters, since it would be 1 and a half month without any news.

Last month was just heartbreaking. I've never played the Witcher series and whilst Geralt looks cool and fits the style of SC well, I wasn't really hyped to see him announced. I almost never play as the Guest Characters and usually forget they even exist.

I had hoped we'd get more SC characters revealed by the end of the month, but if not, I was happy with just seeing Ivy and Zas gameplay during that super hyped up stream, and then it was just the old build...

Personally, after the disappointing lack of reveals in March, I feel we need an early reveal this month (or at least a mid-month reveal rather than waiting for the final Thursday), and with at least 2-3 characters, plus a new build of the game to see the new characters in action.

Will we get it? Eh, I doubt it. I have zero faith anymore. My hype is all but dead at this point. I'm starting to fear what I've seen others on the forums say is true, that they way behind on development and they're not showing us anything because they have nothing to show :(

Funny note though: I actually dreamed about Soulcalibur VI last night XD I had just bought the game (which had a better cover art in my dream lol) and was dicking around with the character creator. I'll be curious to see the interface for that now to see how it compares XD

Last month was just heartbreaking. I've never played the Witcher series and whilst Geralt looks cool and fits the style of SC well, I wasn't really hyped to see him announced. I almost never play as the Guest Characters and usually forget they even exist.

I had hoped we'd get more SC characters revealed by the end of the month, but if not, I was happy with just seeing Ivy and Zas gameplay during that super hyped up stream, and then it was just the old build...

Personally, after the disappointing lack of reveals in March, I feel we need an early reveal this month (or at least a mid-month reveal rather than waiting for the final Thursday), and with at least 2-3 characters, plus a new build of the game to see the new characters in action.

Will we get it? Eh, I doubt it. I have zero faith anymore. My hype is all but dead at this point. I'm starting to fear what I've seen others on the forums say is true, that they way behind on development and they're not showing us anything because they have nothing to show :(

Funny note though: I actually dreamed about Soulcalibur VI last night XD I had just bought the game (which had a better cover art in my dream lol) and was dicking around with the character creator. I'll be curious to see the interface for that now to see how it compares XD
You're being a bit excessive...
1. We got some new info. Not as much as we would have wanted, but they don't owe us anything. They could go months without giving any info and that would still be fine.
2. They still can withhold info until May, nothing would change.
3. The game is coming, sooner or later. Not having info doesn't mean it's going to suck, it means they are working on details in order to make the game better than ever to please fans.
4. Your hype isn't dead, the momentum is slow, that's all. When the release date is going to be announced, or another characters, people will act as if it were the best day of their life. Just because we don't get info right away isn't reason enough for us to act like spoiled brats, let's take what they give us and be thankful.

I don't wish to come off as pessimistic, but I'm beginning to think that this game is due for a delay. Maybe not an official delay, since no release date was ever announced, but internally.

This is based on:
1. The tweets from the member of Project Soul complaining of a highly stressed and unhappy working environment.
2. The last three characters they revealed haven't been seen in a playable state yet.
3. They haven't even revealed the release window yet (Fall, Winter), which makes me think they're really hedging their bets.

I don't wish to come off as pessimistic, but I'm beginning to think that this game is due for a delay. Maybe not an official delay, since no release date was ever announced, but internally.

This is based on:
1. The tweets from the member of Project Soul complaining of a highly stressed and unhappy working environment.
2. The last three characters they revealed haven't been seen in a playable state yet.
3. They haven't even revealed the release window yet (Fall, Winter), which makes me think they're really hedging their bets.

It is a bit vague what that worker meant on how that job is stressful. Also showing the characters of doesn't mean automatic build. Plus if the build is delayed it could help the game to hopefully come out complete and probably help out the workers working at a bit slower pace and therefore cause less stress.

This is my hope anyway.

Doesn't every video game staff ever go through an extremely stressful time close to release? Isn't that just the nature of making sure something is as perfect and bug free as possible before a deadline (whether the deadline is a trailer, or a new playable build for an event or the full game release, etc)?

Doesn't every video game staff ever go through an extremely stressful time close to release? Isn't that just the nature of making sure something is as perfect and bug free as possible before a deadline (whether the deadline is a trailer, or a new playable build for an event or the full game release, etc)?
You're referring to crunch time.

Crunch time should absolutely NOT be happening before a release date has been announced. Crunch time is physically and psychologically draining on staff and cannot be continued indefinitely. Employees under such conditions inevitably break down, which is what appears to have happened with that employee's twitter rant.

You're referring to crunch time.

Crunch time should absolutely NOT be happening before a release date has been announced. Crunch time is physically and psychologically draining on staff and cannot be continued indefinitely. Employees under such conditions inevitably break down, which is what appears to have happened with that employee's twitter rant.
Yeah but that one employee won't be working on absolutely everything in the game. Perhaps their crunch time is simply making sure certain characters are playable for an upcoming event. Like Okubo said, the game is 70% done and that means most of the behind the scenes coding and stuff we don't see is complete, which would mean they're now polishing textures, lighting effects, character designs, animations, voice acting, etc right? If that isn't true, and they aren't working on things separately, then I doubt we'll see any new builds of the game with any new demo characters before the full thing releases.

I wouldn't read too much into that. Preparing a build for conventions and such isn't super straightforward as they want to make sure it's a completely stable. It wouldn't make for a good showcase if it keeps crashing or if there's very noticeable bugs.

That said, if they randomly announced a delay I'd be okay with it. I'd rather have a finished product than one rushed out the door.

I have no expectations for reveals or a new build this month. It would be great if it happens, but I won't waste my energy hoping for it. I feel much happier concentrating on other things and just dropping in from time to time to check for any news.

Back