Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Holy shit they really do just copy paste shit from engine to engine.
I'm surprised you never noticed. lol

That's how 3D animations work. This is why you can play SoulCalibur games with more than 12 unique characters.

You can't honestly have believed they re-captured all of Mitsurugi's animations six times, could you?
Especially if the animations didn't look particularly bad to begin with.
The problem in my opinion is that a lot are so outdated and haven't been tweaked so that weapons stop clipping through character's hands and the like when wielded.
Which I question if that problem will ever be corrected.
It's one thing if CAS characters have that problem. It's another if the character meant for the weapon and style still have such a pervasive issue going on.
Which is the case.

That's how 3D animations work. This is why you can play SoulCalibur games with more than 12 unique characters.

You can't honestly have believed they re-captured all of Mitsurugi's animations six times, could you?

I'm absolutely shocked that people don't realize that. How else did we get so many different fighting games out in relatively quick? Motion capture and redo every single frame? Are you nuts?! This is the fighting game genre, asset reuse is its middle name.

It is not the lazy animation really, it is about the hitbox they wanted for the move and not wanting to make a single animation to change the wrist and hand positioning for the sake of a handful of moves she wields the sword in the hand she holds the shield.

What is this nonsense of giving such importance to something as stupid as if sophie is taking/handling or not the sword?
Are you playing in slow motion? That animations are fast enough that is not important at all

I think it has less to do with that and more to do with the fact that the very same unpolished animation has persisted in a series for 16 years. I mean, I'm usually the first to bat over stuff like this, and while I do find the animation rather comical, it DOES say something about PS.

On the bright side, at least we know all the animations are probably "finished" at this point, so we don't have to worry about that.

Ashlotte doesn’t have telekinesis like the other Souls of Astaroth?

CAS, despite personally playing them most of the time, does unfortunately have that limitation.

Winter Brawl tends to gather the weakest attendance of the Big E events (not always, there have been some pretty good ones).

What an impossibly silly metric it is to say that a games numbers are indicative of it's quality. How can you say that and then compare the game to SFV, which consistently has the largest numbers of any fighting game? How does making a game more predisposed to aggression remove depth? Besides, the only thing you mentioned that actually makes the game as aggressive as it is is movement being unsafe. How does having combos be easier reward aggression? I'm not the biggest fan of unsafe movement (I'm really excited for SC6's movement system), but saying that it removes depth is just wrong imo.

Also, JG was retardedly overpowered. So good it was probably the worst part of the game.

I mean if that's winding you up just imagine her getting hit while in that animation - The sword will magically snap into her correct hand.

Animations are expensive and usually so fast that animators use tricks and all kinds of impossible physics, largely this goes unnoticed. And when those animations need to be able to link into multiple other animations, you get some fun clipping.

Some examples from FFXIV:

So yeah, I really doubt they're going to "fix" this "issue" that's been an industry standard for years because nitpicking every single frame is really not worth it.

And if you can't suspend your disbelief enough, something something the Gods something something magical sword powers.

Last edited:
Gotta leave the space for CaS.

And if the other SCs are covered in the story which is supposedly SC1 based with Kilik as the protagonist, I wonder if he may come in conflict with Xianghua whose SC is obviously going to be featured at some point. I mean we only knew SC would go all Elysium/SMT Law since at least IV. Who’s to say it won’t happen sooner?

Just hope her sappy love story with Kilik doesn’t get her killed like in her SCIV ending.

What is this nonsense of giving such importance to something as stupid as if sophie is taking/handling or not the sword?
Are you playing in slow motion? That animations are fast enough that is not important at all

lol exactly that, I realized she's not holding the sword because SCVI has that slow motion KO feature, and never saw it in past SC games.

But at the same time, it's not a big deal, yeah. It just something trivial that I saw. Apologize if I offended anyone.

I wouldn't care if this weren't the case since 1999. I can take an awkward animation for a game or two, but you can't keep a weird looking animation for 20 years and then try to defend it.

Kazuya's u/f 444 from Tekken warped his torso since 1995, and the animation wasn't touched once since T4 in 2003. It took until T7 11 years later for his abs to not flex into themselves while doing a standard attack.

Back