Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

He looks so dope in this one ^^

I'm liking the return of his 46 Command throw, should lead to RO or wallsplat setups from throw.
The B in scIV 6A+B B can be canceled, which is nice :)
He did a new move in soul charge state, it was some kinda of horizontal pull in from the ground.

I think there was a debate a bit back where the desert stage was getting its inspiration from, but if the OST is any indication, that stage has instruments more typical of Middle Eastern music hidden in the theme.

So you dislike the character, not the mimic and its moveset. That's understandable. Though if you missed it, Elysium's existence was already teased in SoulCalibur IV, most overtly shown in Cassandra's ending, but there were implications that Soul Calibur had "evil" tendencies all the same. And it's not really "evil", but "lawful good", where it doesn't take into consideration the value of human life, destroying Soul Edge at all costs.
No, I didn't miss it in SoulCalibur IV, but I also thought it was a stupid idea back then too. In my opinion, the series' storylines have been excellent (SE and SC), lazy (SC2 and 3) and terrible (SC4 and 5). And when I said "evil," I just meant "acts as a villain in the story." But without getting into a big debate about it, I'd argue that not valuing human life is a generally evil characteristic.
Beyond the character, though, as a mimic, how do you feel about the idea of tweaking each style's moves with unique flair and having unique moves?
I think there's tons of potential here. Just focusing on Inferno (since we've seen he's in the game at some form), his previous appearances featured unique throws and moves (his spinning UFO attack). And in SC2, there were mid-match cutscenes where he'd summon fire to himself and change weapon styles. Maybe they could incorporate that into a unique CE, involving a fiery explosion (sort of like Nightmare's SC explosion, but more fire), followed by Soul Edge morphing into a different style.

I really like the idea of mimics having CEs that switch their weapon styles. It could open up some interesting gameplay possibilities. If there's a non-supernatural mimic, it might be harder to accomplish however. Maybe Edgemaster's CE has him hit you so hard that his weapon shatters, so he just pulls out another one? Can't decide if that sounds cool or stupid.

I can just see it now, Edgemaster gets so angry he shatters the Katana in his hands, reaches into his pants, and pulls out a literal railroad tie with a flattened anvil on the end of it, and then gives his opponent the, “NOW, YOU HAVE FUCKED UP,” look.

Sure...but what are the chances of that happening? lol 0.0%, SCIII is my favorite game in the series by far AND for a plethora of different reasons, but that formula just doesn't cut it financially, it's not worth it for them to do that if the game doesn't sell well.

There's always SCVII if SCVI does well lol. In an ideal world, SCVI's sales will go through the roof and that might convince Bamco enough to put out a game with more content.

Plus if SCVI is as packed as Okubo claims, then a 'SCIII remake' isn't that far of a leap. Let's make sure SCVI does well!

For as much as I love CaS (and I really do, I have a massive thread all about my creations somewhere on the forums), I never gave a real hoot about any of the CaS options in SC3 because only like...2 or 3 of them were interesting lmao.

This sentiment has been shared before, but I agree with the idea that if a fighting style was going to implemented into a game, it’d be better off as a fully developed and fleshed out character instead of the wonky and rusty stuff they had in SC3. Some of the stuff they had for the CaS styles in SC3 ended up being implemented into actual characters’ movesets anyway (like Wave Blades going into Algol).

The problem I have with CaS characters using other characters moves is that the movesets themselves are character identifiable which always comes across as character mods rather than building your own character. I do however think I have a solution to this.

Create 16 different and properly developed movesets.
Give 8 to Edge Master and 8 to Olcadan.
Let Edge Master and Olcadan have their own schools of fighting and let there be some kind a rivaly between the two.
Doing this would not only make CaS characters feel like they have their own unique moveset as they would, roll playing wise be trained by these masters but will also allow Edge Master and Olcadan to switch between their very own personal movesets making them proper characters in their own right.

It would be a lot of work to do this but one that I think would really pay off as not only does it leave the main cast with their unique movesets to stand on their own but the CaS mode will no longer feel tacted on to Soul Calibur, it would be in a way a game in it's own right.

I think there's enough space for 4 to 6 more stages in the stage select screen. Screw Cass, give Lizardman axes, bring Hwang and Mi-Na, bring Viola and Setsuka, bring back Tira to before she got split-personality disorder, etc. I'm mostly curious about what special abilities everyone will be given. Groh's Father would make a cool archer of some kind. Archery would be nice in SC6.

Personally think classes should return but maybe with different base weapon types recieving variatIons by class and option Soul Ofs:

IE: Ninjas add shuriken and teleports to either katanas or dual daggers. Likewise a samurai’s katana uses stances.

Also Soul Ofs in SCIII only did half the win poses I think. Otherwise the CaS styles had different winposes and intros depending on their alignment. Remember the Chaotic Evil/Water Chicken Dance?

The problem I have with CaS characters using other characters moves is that the movesets themselves are character identifiable which always comes across as character mods rather than building your own character. I do however think I have a solution to this.

Create 16 different and properly developed movesets.
Give 8 to Edge Master and 8 to Olcadan.
Let Edge Master and Olcadan have their own schools of fighting and let there be some kind a rivaly between the two.
Doing this would not only make CaS characters feel like they have their own unique moveset as they would, roll playing wise be trained by these masters but will also allow Edge Master and Olcadan to switch between their very own personal movesets making them proper characters in their own right.

It would be a lot of work to do this but one that I think would really pay off as not only does it leave the main cast with their unique movesets to stand on their own but the CaS mode will no longer feel tacted on to Soul Calibur, it would be in a way a game in it's own right.
I disagree strongly.
1) All styles need defaults to be usable in tournaments, at which point, you've essentially assigned the style to a character anyway, going against the whole point of a generic CaS style.
2) Generic styles lacking in personality may allow you a greater variety of characters, but all of them will be boring.
3) I actually want to use all the styles, and do so through CaS. It's frustrating enough that I have to save edit to use Algol, Ezio, etc. and never got to use Apprentice, Vader or Algol at all in IV. I don't want styles locked away from CaS because you're worried their personality might have some definition.
(and yes, I am aware I don't have to use CaS, but I enjoy it so much it eclipses the default cast quite substantially. It's not fun to go from your own creations to boring old Algol...)

For examples, take a look at Samurai Warriors.
Each of the 2 I have played featured some generic weapons that aren't attached to any characters (although they are used by all the average joes)... and do you know what? They're really generic... with generic supers, generic combos and generic properties. They're nowhere near as fun to use as the actual characters' weapons.

CaS should be as close as possible to the actual game, unless there's some kind of Special VS. to dump it all in. I'd rather like to use CaS and not be justifiably shit on for doing so.

Last edited:
Interesting bit of brilliance here where Groh sidesteps cancels his stance, Innocent Draw. What's interesting is that the stance transition was a blocked high from RE. Looks like Groh's stance shifts may have some advantage even on block, or very little negative frames.

Back