Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

She's a weird freaky bizarre style user

That's quite a big reason to love her

A short spear and shield does not equal weird lance spear thing and dinky sword. Seong-Mina is more accurate a spear user than Hilde and she uses a Naginata

I love the spear, and yet I can't stand and would not use the absurdity that is Hilde. Which should say something.

That "dinky" sword are there to differentiate her from Kilik and Mi-Na and gives her some short ranged quick attacks which I think is quite useful . And that doesn't make her less of a spear user because you know she does wield the spear.
Don't get me wrong though I respect your opinion because not everyone has to like every character, and I am aware that she's quite an unorthodox character but that doesn't make her style useless or half baked.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this specifically, but the Soul Edge Siegfried grabs in the first 5 seconds of the Story Trailer is absolutely Cervantes's. I know the sillhouette/art is one thing, but I dunno if they'd go through the hassle of modeling a nonplayable character's weapon as well.

Peace sign and dominatrix Inferno will be hilarious if he copies CEs.

And cowardly/booty shaking Edgemaster is hilarious enough.
Hm... Actually,Boss Inferno can have mechanic "Critical Twist", Where he, hitting under the CE of the enemy, at a certain moment 'turned over the tables' and used the enemy's CE against himself. For example, When Zasalamel stops time, Inferno can recover and deal a crushing blow before the sorcerer. Or, when Ivy pulled him to her, to step on him, Inferno would change the flight path, grab Ivy, take off with it into the air and tossed it hard on the ground.

in SC6 Taki's 2nd ninja sword also has magical chip-damage properties.

Supernatural characters outnumber the normal humans.

In SC6:
1) Mitsurugi : Normal human (but highly skilled)
2) Sophitia : Normal human with god-blessed weapons
3) Groh: Human that can turn into super human with anime powers
4) Nightmare: Supernatural embodiment of Soul Edge
5) Kilik: Human with Kali-Yuga (2 of the 3 sacred treasures) and Dvapara-Yuga
6) Xianghua: Human with Krita-Yuga (soul calibur)
7) Ivy: Human with living sword + magical alchemy powers
8) Zasalamel: Immortal human with time manipulation powers
9) Geralt: Witcher with magical signs
10) Maxi: Normal human (but highly skilled)
11) Taki: Normal human with demon-busting ninja powers + magical sword
12) Yoshimitsu: Supernatural mecha-human with magical sword and soul stealing abilities
13) Siegfried: Human (was ex-host of Soul Edge, so at this stage he's just highly skilled)

Its a 3:10 ratio so far!

Rock tends to be just as revealing... but so does Voldo.

But if there’s CPU vs CPU, I’m kind of interested in seeing if we can control the camera to get some glamor shots of our custom characters.

I used to set up cpu vs cpu tournaments. It was fun to watch. I'm not sure why I enjoyed it so much.

I wanted to ask what you guys think of a new gameplay aspect. I wasn't paying much attention to it before, but now I've looked at the gameplay again I've realized that the characters with explicit magical elements make much more use of it than in past games. For example, characters that didn't use magic during that actual fighting in the past do, and those who did use it even more prominently.

This includes:
  • Kilik entered a possessed state during his Soul Charge, which is different from the others. In the past, the Evil Seed was a lore element that had no impact on gameplay.
  • Zasalamel using dark sorcery to create vortexes and black holes, and control time.
  • Yoshimitsu (who had some magic before) has a magical trait of draining some health from his opponent by taking their life force after a combo, and his CE has him literally ripping out their soul and crushing it.
  • Nightmare summons a demonic horse during is CE, as opposed to just slashing them.
  • Taki had some magic moves, but it now it's use far more in tandem with her fighting with teleportation, bombs, and blasts showing up much more. Her CE has her using a demon seal to hold them in place.
  • Ivy also uses magic far more than just having a unique weapon. One of her moves involves her summoning a mystic bow and arrow to strike her airborne opponent, and another has her using magical discs.
  • Groh has various stages where magic becomes more prominent depending on how much he's using.
  • Geralt of course mixes swordsmanship with sorcery just as much as his home game.
Overall, I like it. Magic always existed but was treated as an afterthought in past games. I think characters who are supposed to be sorcerers or have inherent magical power should actually use them to fight. It also helps separate them from the ones who don't use magic at all, like Mitsurugi, Xianghua, Maxi and Siegfried.

"Magic" as it were, has been a major component to series since Soul Edge. From when Kali-Yuga would howl in Kilik's victory poses in Soul Calibur, to Soul Calibur 2's intro, to the warped world where Inferno runs around. To Cervantes' original victory pose where his swords would circle him and land at his feet while he chuckled. The whole magic element has always been there, but it hasn't always been overt, either because of system limitations, or simply because the gameplay didn't require it. Or simply because there aren't many characters who can use magic in the series.

Most of the magic, of course, has generally been evil in nature, or sourced straight from Soul Edge. Mekki-maru is a fragment of Soul Edge, same with Ivy's blade. Kali-Yuga absorbing the malfested energy of Soul Edge. Some of the magic in the series is also sourced from gods (Sophitia's prayer in the Soul Edge ending to destroy the sword; and everything or nearly, with Astaroth and Ares). The series hasn't really jumped the shark here, although many would consider Algol pushing it and Soul Calibur 5 showing new cases of magic through Viola's weird origins as well as ZWEI's.

Magic independent of Soul Edge has been rare, yet still mostly shown as chaotically evil sourced. Zasalamel's Abyssal powers tend to be aggressively evil in nature, though Zasalamel tends to move from antagonist to neutral in later games. As for Groh, we're not quite sure where his power is sourced. Whether he's partially malfested or cursed through some other artifact isn't clear yet. He is not, however, the first character in the series to display magic or utilize it the way he does. Hopefully, unlike the above mentions from Soul Calibur 5, we get a more concrete understanding of his power and origin.

in SC6 Taki's 2nd ninja sword also has magical chip-damage properties.

Supernatural characters outnumber the normal humans.

In SC6:
1) Mitsurugi : Normal human (but highly skilled)
2) Sophitia : Normal human with god-blessed weapons
3) Groh: Human that can turn into super human with anime powers
4) Nightmare: Supernatural embodiment of Soul Edge
5) Kilik: Human with Kali-Yuga (2 of the 3 sacred treasures) and Dvapara-Yuga
6) Xianghua: Human with Krita-Yuga (soul calibur)
7) Ivy: Human with living sword + magical alchemy powers
8) Zasalamel: Immortal human with time manipulation powers
9) Geralt: Witcher with magical signs
10) Maxi: Normal human (but highly skilled)
11) Taki: Normal human with demon-busting ninja powers + magical sword
12) Yoshimitsu: Supernatural mecha-human with magical sword and soul stealing abilities
13) Siegfried: Human (was ex-host of Soul Edge, so at this stage he's just highly skilled)

Its a 3:10 ratio so far!

Sophitas a demi-god bruh

And so is Cassandra..who will also be on the game.

Not sure if it has been posted already, but here we can see VS Battle options available in the current build (skip to 05:25):
CPU vs CPU, Player vs CPU and Player vs Player are all there. Also I wonder what Battle Mode is.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 140
Sophitas a demi-god bruh
Sophitia's mother is Nike, but she isn't the Goddess Nike. Sophitia had been grated the protection of the gods as a reward for her faith, so she is only a mortal protect by gods, that is why Pyrrha can fight without having any type of training :sc5pyr1:
Nike passed away due to the stress of her family's tragedies in old timeline

Last edited:
"Magic" as it were, has been a major component to series since Soul Edge. From when Kali-Yuga would howl in Kilik's victory poses in Soul Calibur, to Soul Calibur 2's intro, to the warped world where Inferno runs around. To Cervantes' original victory pose where his swords would circle him and land at his feet while he chuckled. The whole magic element has always been there, but it hasn't always been overt, either because of system limitations, or simply because the gameplay didn't require it. Or simply because there aren't many characters who can use magic in the series.

Most of the magic, of course, has generally been evil in nature, or sourced straight from Soul Edge. Mekki-maru is a fragment of Soul Edge, same with Ivy's blade. Kali-Yuga absorbing the malfested energy of Soul Edge. Some of the magic in the series is also sourced from gods (Sophitia's prayer in the Soul Edge ending to destroy the sword; and everything or nearly, with Astaroth and Ares). The series hasn't really jumped the shark here, although many would consider Algol pushing it and Soul Calibur 5 showing new cases of magic through Viola's weird origins as well as ZWEI's.

Magic independent of Soul Edge has been rare, yet still mostly shown as chaotically evil sourced. Zasalamel's Abyssal powers tend to be aggressively evil in nature, though Zasalamel tends to move from antagonist to neutral in later games. As for Groh, we're not quite sure where his power is sourced. Whether he's partially malfested or cursed through some other artifact isn't clear yet. He is not, however, the first character in the series to display magic or utilize it the way he does. Hopefully, unlike the above mentions from Soul Calibur 5, we get a more concrete understanding of his power and origin.
I know all about how magic has been there from the start. But characters weren't fighting with magic, or they weren't using much of it, until now when someone realized that "roster full of characters with special magic" equals "great potential for unique gameplay". I was just pointing that out is all. I like that they're utilizing the more fantastic aspects of the series while still staying true to each character.

You can’t compare voldo to ivy man. The issue isn’t about amount of skin shown but a woman being presented as a sex object when there isn’t really a male equivalent so it’s not equal. Voldo is not a sex object, he is meant to be creepy. For the record I like that the female characters are still sexy but I can totally see how people might be turned off by it. If ultimately it will be better for the franchise for more modest outfits for females go for that. Whatever is better for the series growth is most important. Getting mad about a video game character being sexy is a little silly, but the skimpiness of SC female outfits shouldn’t be some point of stubborn pride we refuse to budge on, it’s not what’s important about sc.

I think you're a huge hypocrite if you really think there is no Soul Calibur guys who are pure fanservice. They are all tall, handsome guys with a chiseled body, stop nitpicking on something just because it is convenient. Voldo is literally the gimp, the submissive end of a dominatrix, Ivy is dressed as Ivy is dressed, I don't think the design is great in VI, but I don't care because just last game we had a guy in his underwear. People like you will turn a blind a eye to everything that is bad for your argument, or this thinly veiled political opinion you're trying to pass as one.

Based on interviews, the timeline, and what's the roster currently looks like and what we know who is guaranteed to appear in Soul Calibur 6. I present, the final roster:

Returning Revealed:
Maxi
Xianghua
Kilik
Ivy
Yoshimitsu
Sophitia
Taki
Zasalamel
Nightmare
Siegfried
Mitsurugi

Newcomers:
Groh
Geralt

Unrevealed:
Talim
Astaroth
Rock
Hwang
Seong Mina
Voldo
Cervantes
Lizardman
Edgemaster
*New Character*

And that's it. Gotta remember, we have 13 characters already revealed. And 22-23 slots left. So that leaves only ten slots, two of which we know for sure are coming; Talim and one more new character. The rest of the cast is basically going to be from Soul Calibur 1, given the timeline and the fact that Soul Calibur 6 is a retelling of Soul Calibur 1. It stands to reason that they would bring in the roster of the first game back. Whether Seong Mina, Hwang, Rock, and Lizardman come back as clones or original characters remains to be seen. It's unlikely, given that SC4 gave Mina and Rock a mostly updated movelist and Lizardman could have his SC5 incarnation, but it's not confirmed.

Another point: SC1 had 20 characters. 3 of which are rather superflous (Arthur, Edgemaster, Inferno). Soul Calibur 6 has 23 on the base roster. 2 fan favorites (Talim and Zasalamel), 2 newcomers (Groh, plus one other), and one guest. That eats up 5 slots, leaving just 18 returning characters. That basically fits the entire Soul Calibur 1 roster.

So with the DLC, there's four more characters. Well... out of the newcomer cast from SC2 through SC4, there's Cassandra, Raphael, Yunsung, Tira, Setsuka, Hilde and Algol. If there's only four slots, three would be left behind. Of course, if there's another guest character making an appearance as an exclusive DLC character with the purchase of a certain edition of the game, they'd probably fit into one of the main roster slots above. I suspect then, we would see Edgemaster getting the axe in favor of this new DLC guest character.

This makes a lot of sense to me. Although one would think that Raphael would make it in the final roster. It would make sense to replace Edge Master with Raphael but with all the rumors floating around, I'm doubting that to bet the case. Ideally, if Raphael won't be in, it would make sense to include Tira instead of Edge Master but I doubt this will be the case either since it's been heavily hinted that the roster will mostly be from the original SoulCalibur and SoulCalibur II.

Thinking about it now, I'm starting to believe that our four DLC characters from the season pass will be Cassandra, Raphael, Yun-seong, and a guest character to make Season 1 the SoulCalibur II DLC pack. Season 2 will probably be followed by Tira, Setsuka, Hilde, and possibly a new character or another guest character. Personally though, I think it would be pretty cool if Li Long is ever added but with a three-section staff in one of these DLC. He fits the timeline perfectly and we would be introduced to an awesome new weapon.

Not about anything currently being discussed, but I joined 8way back before SC5 was release, and during the many many pre-release months I honestly don't remember there being as much salt back then when everyone's favorite waifu was being ripped away from them than there is now, when everyone is returning lol

Played some SNK games, but not fomiliar with this syndrome
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SNKBoss
If the computer felt like it, Goenitz could be completely unbeatable by any means. He has a wind barrier, the Yonokaze (or, more infamously, "Koko desu ka?"), which can come out directly in front of your character, can't be rolled through and blocks all projectiles.
Krizalid was the boss in '99. In round 2, he burns off the coat, and starts spamming a tornado kick attack, the Typhoon Rage, which has priority over everything, and Lethal Impact, which looks like an axe kick, but can hit high, overhead, low, as a command throw, OR counterthrow! In short, projectiles and throws are the only things that one move could not counter... and he sometimes spammed it if you closed in on him. His supers, at max level, do 90 percent of your health bar!
Igniz. MR INFINITE COMBO

Last edited:
Back