Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Rejuvenation has ever worked in a series favor tho?
People like Astaroth, Kilik, Maxi, and Yun-seong more than Rock, Seong Mi-na, Li Long, and Hwang, apparently. Though, like the Tekken 3 example, a lot of it is chalked up to the fact that the majority of players started with SoulCalibur II, where these characters were already basically replaced. Rock and Seong Mi-na held out a little longer, but I'm not going to be surprised if neither of them show up for SoulCalibur VI.

People like Astaroth, Kilik, Maxi, and Yun-seong more than Rock, Seong Mi-na, Li Long, and Hwang, apparently. Though, like the Tekken 3 example, a lot of it is chalked up to the fact that the majority of players started with SoulCalibur II, where these characters were already basically replaced. Rock and Seong Mi-na held out a little longer, but I'm not going to be surprised if neither of them show up for SoulCalibur VI.
I think it is not the same ball game as Tekken. Having to do change it's name to Soul Calibur might have made people unaware it was even the same series, think of how many people don't know Demon Souls even though DS is very popular.

I hope tira is in sc6 and has the same va from before. Hearing her shout 'genocide' really used to give me butterflies in my belly when I was a kid.

she had this amazing throw I used to over and over again when I was playing SC Broken Destiny ... I dont remember the name but it was amazing

Rejuvenation has ever worked in a series favor tho?
Basically the game everyone started on though.
It's true though. lol
Tekken wasn't big until 3, and it's mainly because the cast of 3 was when the series was finally finding its "niche" (even though its sales were FAR from niche, but that's the best term I can think of) and catching its stride. So it's in this weird place of counting and kind of not. But it is the only real example anyone could ever use for fighting game where it applies.

The closest to a rejuvenation working otherwise was Garou: Mark of the Wolves, but that both does and doesn't count since it was a one game wonder and its sequel unfortunately got canceled. But the reception to it was always positive.

Street Fighter III on the other hand was pretty much discarded by a lot of Street Fighter fans at the time, and had a lot of hate towards it for years, until it almost retroactively became beloved. Despite being a flop with a lot of characters people didn't like or "understand" at the time.
Street Fighter III is kind of funny in that the game or the characters either just grew on people over the years naturally... or people just bought into the hype of people who loved and praised it, so they maybe never really had their own opinion or strong opinion, so they went with the crowd in hating it until finally conceding it was a good game and characters. I'd say it's a bit of both.
But I don't want to get too psychological and analytical here about the turnaround to Street Fighter III (particularly 3rd Strike's) reception over the years. It was always an interesting thing to see happen throughout my life though. lol

Are you the first?

tumblr_o6tam7rfZT1tq1isuo1_500.gif

my fellow taki mains, our character is officially dead

no unblockable ninja bomb
no unblockable cancel during possesion
no low kick during possesion

A+B is great for post GI and it crushes GI & RE. Possession is good in other ways for Makki-Maru chip damage. SCVI isn't out yet, but Taki is a good character.

PREACH!! i love pyrrha, i found her more relatable and interesting than sophie.

honestly, considering how much abuse and trauma she faced i don’t get how ppl can hate/blame her for acting as such. i kinda wish she’d been omega longer in the story, it was just so cool and satisfying to see her snap.

+ as a tira stan i LIVE for the dynamic they have. it’s so toxic but intriguing and really great fanfic/RP material.

I randomly decided to listen to Ephemeral Dream and Innocent Vision again (BGMs from both of Setsuka's stages in SCIII/SCIV) and I really hope they knock it out of the ballpark with the soundtrack on this game because both of those themes (which happen to be the same song, lol) are some of the best I've heard in the game. I haven't had the easiest time of listening to the themes for the stages on most gameplay videos because the voices/sound effects/commentary is distracting, so I can't tell for myself how I like them yet.

SCV was actually quite lacking in the musical department in comparison to SCIV and SCIII, with the only noteworthy one I remember being Dance of the Oracle (but that only popped up when you were versing Viola in Quick Play...).

I randomly decided to listen to Ephemeral Dream and Innocent Vision again (BGMs from both of Setsuka's stages in SCIII/SCIV) and I really hope they knock it out of the ballpark with the soundtrack on this game because both of those themes (which happen to be the same song, lol) are some of the best I've heard in the game. I haven't had the easiest time of listening to the themes for the stages on most gameplay videos because the voices/sound effects/commentary is distracting, so I can't tell for myself how I like them yet.

SCV was actually quite lacking in the musical department in comparison to SCIV and SCIII, with the only noteworthy one I remember being Dance of the Oracle (but that only popped up when you were versing Viola in Quick Play...).

Yeah, I hope so too. SCIII probably has my favorite OST in the series. Game is packed to the gills with tunes (same as everything else except polish :P), from each stage having a theme (and each main character having a stage, so essentially each character having a theme) to the various musics from the menus, or from chronicles of the sword, or tales of souls. I know a lot of the compositions came from earlier games, but the arrangements and caliber of the recording is sublime. Game's music excelled in quantity and quality.

Back