Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Lol you guys took that Sasuke joke way too seriously, it was a tongue in cheek jab at the "belts make everything look cooler" trope that has infested video games, comics, and anime since the 00s (or earlier if you're Nomura or Rob Liefeld).

The character depth thing about Groh was mostly serious and, again, will probably be obvious to anybody that has paid attention to anything SC since ever. All he needs is a tragic backstory (or climax in the story mode) and he's pretty much modern shounen character design 101.

Well, we know he’s extremely competent, as we know he held a seat in the Aval Organization’s council (and lost it due to being unable to defeat Nightmare). If anything, he could afford to look a little zanier for someone who allegedly held a lot of power in his own organization.

idk what the problem is with Groh's design really, he has a nicely designed outfit, excellently chosen vibrant single colors on his armor/Soul Charge that make his design really pop.

we don't really know anything about his backstory, but I mean, like, look at some other Soul Calibur character's design without knowing their backstories and they'll fall into easily defined "flat" tropes as well. mitsurugi is just a grizzled ronin, nightmare is textbook BBEG, siegfried your average gloomy knight on a quest for revenge, lizardman is a barbaric monster race person, etc. etc. sure, there's quite a few particular exemptions, but when it comes to a series so very rooted in classic anime tropes from 20-30 years ago, it seems kinda unfair to just brush off a newcomer character because he's "too anime"

sidenote, it's neat to see some Scandinavian representation!

also, if you think this dude is textbook edgy, have you SEEN devil jin's belt costume?

I think Groh looks dumb, and I like anime.

His edgelord-tastic lines, his chuuni eyepatch, and that super saiyan soul charge state are just too much.

I feel like they've really misassociated him as a northern European as well since I'd like to have seen a much more Viking/Nordic representative rather than something that is straight-outta-12-year-old-goth-japanese-girl's-fanfic.

Can you imagine if they reveal a character tomorrow and it turns out to be Tira? WHEW my wig would ring out itself

tira.jpg

I feel like Talim might end up being our only July reveal, since Evo starts 3rd august and most likely we'll get a group reveal there. If they revealed a character next Thursday it'd only be a week between them and EVO, so they might as well just wait the extra week and have an extra EVO reveal instead.

Plus since Talim's essentially the big fan favourite returnee getting a month to herself wouldn't surprise me.

I feel like Talim might end up being our only July reveal, since Evo starts 3rd august and most likely we'll get a group reveal there. If they revealed a character next Thursday it'd only be a week between them and EVO, so they might as well just wait the extra week and have an extra EVO reveal instead.

Plus since Talim's essentially the big fan favourite returnee getting a month to herself wouldn't surprise me.
I suspect Evo will be more a reveal of the other story mode or CaS rather than a random group of characters. So far characters seem to be revealed through Thursdays.

It's EVO though, the biggest pro fighting game event thing. What people there want to see and try out are the characters, not the story or CAS (and that's what most will be expecting too, focus on the characters and gameplay). Gamescom and TGS are your big normal news events to reveal single player content at.

Also there's plenty of themed groups to reveal to like how they did Xianghua, Kilik, and Groh all at EVO Japan. it wouldn't have to just a be random group. Like Cervantes/Tira/Asta/2nd Newcomer for the villains gang or something along those lines.

Damn Grøh getting made hate for no reason lol.

Well, we know he’s extremely competent, as we know he held a seat in the Aval Organization’s council (and lost it due to being unable to defeat Nightmare). If anything, he could afford to look a little zanier for someone who allegedly held a lot of power in his own organization.

this right here is why i don't understand the hate for Grøh. Do you know how badass you have to be fight Nightmare, fail, and LIVE! And not only that but get kicked out of an organization because you failed to win? Like who are these people? What the hell does the Aval organization deal with on a regular basis to kick someone out for failing BUT surviving a fight with Nightmare? And its not like he didn't come out unscathed. NOOOO! (Note: Upcoming speculation) He acquired powers like Kilik that comes from that dark energy that is soul edge/nightmare. But unlike Kilik who can't master it (cause he a wimp) this guy Grøh is in full control and kicks ass with it. Oh but Raphael fought Nightmare and lived....Raphael got his shit pushed in and survived by becoming a vampire.

So really design wise I like a lot. You have to be "edgy" to be in such a high profile stuck up organization who look at losing but surviving a fight with Nightmare a disgrace. His design is perfect imo

edit: and like imagine if he died and we get the lore. i bet the organization would destroy all information and links to him because they simply do not want to look bad. holy

edit 2: dont mistake edginess for confidence.

Do you think we'll get a reveal tomorrow?

I suppose no reveal tomorrow, but maybe next Thursday.

Since you spoke of it we're now all aboard.

tenor.gif

edit: this gif is godlike

Last edited:
The best reveal for me at this point would be thirty second video, explaining that the E3 build will be released as a Beta, so we could all get our hands on the game and hit the ground running on the release date (something akin to Dragonball FighterZ).

Back