Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Looks like something Michael Jackson has worn.
He reminds me of another infamous fighting character
Strong resemblance to the face, voice, hair, clothing and sadistic temper
kofKrizalid2Animated.gif

Seeing that some people are split about whether 2B should be in the game or not because she will be so out of place in this game. Something they could do is show a stinger in the end of her storymode; like after defeating Nightmare or something is that it reveals that she was in a virtual simulator fighting against the cast of Soul Calibur as training to hone her skills in combat. Problem easily solved. Still doubt she will be the second guest. However, if she is in and decide to give her any relevance in the story they could go with that.
That still doesn't solve the issue. If context were the only problem, then you could have Master Chief and nobody would complain. The issue is aesthetic as well as in intention.

2B makes no sense less for story reasons and more because she's a fucking robot in the late 16th century.

2B's level of technology is far outside Soul Calibur's overton window when it comes to aesthetics. If 2B is to be acceptable then so does all the technology from her universe. We've seen this clash before with the Star Wars characters and while I would love a Star Wars game with Soul Calibur's combat, their presence in Soul Calibur was to the point of offensive. I don't want to see that again TBH.

i disagree. his attire/design revolves around him being an elite operative in a high profile organization that fights/hunts evil entities. that theme fits to a T. like Blade the vampire hunter. you're gonna stick out and not fit in the crowd. if he didn't have the shoulder armor piece or the eye patch would you see him the same way?

not attacking or anything just want to discuss. now we seen raphael transition from a fencer to a fencer/vampire and even he gained an armor piece to fit his theme of a life sucking vampire. if memory serves me correctly he drives that hand into your chest and sucks the life out of you.

View attachment 49809

Nah, nah, we cool, we cool!
I have nothing against Grøh's appearance, nor do I have something against his arm piece in particular. I am just saying that I get people when they express doubts over the kind of futuristic/anime feel he emits when stacked next to the fact that he is someone from the XVI century period. The reason I am saying he will grow on us is that the game, once it's out, will almost surely provide us with the context for his appearance, and this discussion will probably be long forgotten. :)
Seeing that some people are split about whether 2B should be in the game or not because she will be so out of place in this game. Something they could do is show a stinger in the end of her storymode; like after defeating Nightmare or something is that it reveals that she was in a virtual simulator fighting against the cast of Soul Calibur as training to hone her skills in combat. Problem easily solved. Still doubt she will be the second guest. However, if she is in and decide to give her any relevance in the story they could go with that.
As a fan of sci-fi, my mind is blown by the simplicity and elegance of this solution. Well done!
This "2B" makes no sense to players, but I bet prince Noctis made no sense either when he was announced. I don't think anybody friggin cares anymore, they are just enjoying him now.

Oh yah, because a holy warrior who's strength is connected to her faith, a ninja who could explode a castle, a pirate with a soul eating blade, a aristocrat with a living snake sword, a priestess with wind power, a vampire, no less than 2 sacred treasure to ward of evil energy, another holy warrior with evil warding powers, a immortal necromancer and hexer and a living suit of armor were not magical enough, we drawn the line with teleport.
not to mention this guy:

latest
Necrid,Inferno,Charade,Abyss,Nightterror,Will o whisp,
There's some serious cognitive dissonance that happens with Soul Calibur more than any series I've probably ever seen.
You can present the fact that anime inspiration and fantastical, magical elements have been there since the beginning, and only expanded upon with each entry, but people will deny aspects and cherrypick ways to be "right."
The truth of it is that there are people who just interpreted this anachronistic alternative history styled fighting game with fantasy elements and anime inspired designs differently.

Yeah, I think when people complain about Groh being "too anime" they don't consider that anime tropes and designs have changed a lot since the 90s.

View attachment 49804

Take X's original art as just one example. She'd fit right in in a 90s anime, and nobody complains about that. The thing is that anime designs aren't really like this anymore. Groh looks just as anime as X does, the problem is that anime has changed a lot. He looks like he fits in more with something like Sword Art Online or whatever, and less like the classic 90s anime style many of the characters had.

Not necessarily a bad thing, they're trying to keep up with what is popular I guess. If he were designed like a classic SC1 character, just as many people would complain that he's boring and not cool or stylish enough. Personally I prefer the older style of designs, but it's sorta silly to expect them to keep designing characters like that forever.
Which brings me to the second point.
Takuji Kawano took over the series' art design since Soul Calibur II, which included drawing the characters in a more realistic anime art style. Prior to him, Soul Edge/Blade and the first Soul Calibur had outright, unmistakably anime looking official art, and with manga/anime inspired characters like Siegfried being their nod to Guts.

Which brings me to the third point.
Trends change. The older games still had anime inspired designs. The biggest difference and change was what's popular and what's big (to a fault) in anime nowadays is more divisive than it was back when older entries were being made and came out.

While this next thing is admittedly unfounded speculation, I do find it interesting that since Namco's merger with Bandai, it seems a lot like it could have affected aspects of Project Soul to appease the anime overlords that are Bandai, who own the license for Shonen Jump when it comes to games.
To the point where I wouldn't at all be surprised if in SCV's case, they intentionally took inspiration from Shonen Jump characters as some kind of unsubtle nod to the fact that have them under their banner IE: Natsu = Naruto, Xiba = Goku, and Dampierre basically just being and looking like a One Piece character.

And closing point.
It's not at all that the series has never had anime inspired designs, or fantasy elements for that matter.... the difference is that it later included elements that expanded upon those things; anime inspired design taking from modern trends and characters/series/aspects you don't like, and expanding upon and highlighting magical, fantastical elements that feel to be "too much" in a series that was already going down that path, but instead insisted on embracing that rather than toning it down.

the thing is if its anime related or it looks anime related its suddenly "not cool" for the cool kids and they could be called a weeb IRL if they like it
'Member when anime was this cool, underground kinda counterculture movement thing in the west back in the day, before it both blew up in popularity and Japan decided to cater to otaku foremost because it's guaranteed money?
I 'member.

Last edited:
Grøh seems like a mixture of Patroklos & Z.W.E.I. but with a cool move set.
Groh is there love child.
That still doesn't solve the issue. If context were the only problem, then you could have Master Chief and nobody would complain. The issue is aesthetic as well as in intention.

2B makes no sense less for story reasons and more because she's a fucking robot in the late 16th century.
Okay? There could always be an argument that no guest in the series that we have had in this series has made any sense. Most of them would have excuses as coming from the future or from other worlds. One thing I want to bring up are the Star Wars guests. At first glance yes they don't make sense and do look out of place.

However, if you note that the setting of Star Wars is always told as taking place a long time ago it is probably confirming that cast of Star Wars taking place in the fifteen century. I may be wrong about this because I am not a huge Star Wars fan. Though if this was their intention that was a neat way to include them.
Nah, nah, we cool, we cool!
I have nothing against Grøh's appearance, nor do I have something against his arm piece in particular. I am just saying that I get people when they express doubts over the kind of futuristic/anime feel he emits when stacked next to the fact that he is someone from the XVI century period. The reason I am saying he will grow on us is that the game, once it's out, will almost surely provide us with the context for his appearance, and this discussion will probably be long forgotten. :)

As a fan of sci-fi, my mind is blown by the simplicity and elegance of this solution. Well done!
This "2B" makes no sense to players, but I bet prince Noctis made no sense either when he was announced. I don't think anybody friggin cares anymore, they are just enjoying him now.
Thank you! I am a fan of the genre, too. So it wasn't that hard to come up with a solution. They would probably just say that 2B used time travel as an excuse. However, if they use the explanation as to why she is in the game in my last post it will fit perfectly with the tone and feel of Nier: Automata.

2B makes sense for a lot of reasons, and personally as a fan of Nier I'd like to see it. But personal biases aside I think there's a problem, her weapons/moveset are largely longsword/greatsword based, and so kinda redundant.

I have no doubt that they'd be able to differentiate her moveset from the other sword users in the game, but I think it makes more sense from their point of view to add a guest character that uses weapons we haven't seen a hundred times before, one that is more different from Geralt.

2B makes sense for a lot of reasons, and personally as a fan of Nier I'd like to see it. But personal biases aside I think there's a problem, her weapons/moveset are largely longsword/greatsword based, and so kinda redundant.

I have no doubt that they'd be able to differentiate her moveset from the other sword users in the game, but I think it makes more sense from their point of view to add a guest character that uses weapons we haven't seen a hundred times before, one that is more different from Geralt.
Is irrelivant as won't be CaSable anyway. At this point would rather unique styles go to new characters altogether so that everyone can enjoy them and they don't become too niche.

I don't know why people would say 2B is out of place when everyone seemed to love Ashlotte, who IMO fits the SC world a lot less than 2B herself, at least aesthetically. They're both robots essentially.

Back