Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I'm sure I posted it before but there's actually only 3 characters who've been a proper character in every main series game as their own character, Mitsurugi, Voldo, and Cervantes (since Nightmare was just a Siegfried costume in SE and Seig was a Nightmare costume in II).

There's a bunch other characters who been in every game since they first appeared though.

If you want to go the picky route Voldo missed out on both Legends and Lost Swords. So technically nobody's been in every version of every SC game.

Wasn't trying to pass myself off as an elite, i'm definitely not but i do remember what a fighting game is and what the overall point is supposed to be. I'd say SC5 flopping has more to do with fighting games being on the decline overall rather than the character replacements. It also put hardly a drop of focus on any single player elements which i do believe was also a major issue with the majority of fans.

I'm not sure what exactly fighting games will evolve into over the years or if they will just die out entirely but it is clear their days are numbered despite the recent bump in popularity.

Edit: I'd like to point out, my original comment was made in the context of SC6 which does not involve the time skip or any of the new replacements in SC5. Meaning just what Foot said, removing and replacing are different. It doesn't matter what people's opinions are about the new characters. We can't use SC5s replacements as a basis for saying any character can be left out of SC6, that was my whole point.
Yeah, fighting games are in such a decline that we have many incredibly succesful ones nowadays. Go figure.

Yeah but everyone has favorite characters, and not all make it. Who is then sooooo iconic they can't be replaced? Is anyone truly immune?

I mean, is there any one character who if removed would truly make the game not a Soul Calibur in the majorities eyes if all the other characters were there?
Soulcalibur without Ivy isn't Soulcalibur.
This.

Ivy is arguably the most distinct and definitely one of the top recognizable characters in the franchise both to players and non players of the series. Between her looks, personality, and weapon style she would be the hardest character to replace. Mitsu doesn't have that.

When you cut through to the detail, the only thing that grounds the series are the soul swords. That's actually a good place to be due to them being eternal, allows for a lot of flex with the games even if that can run a risk of alienating fans of certain characters, it would still be Soul Calibur.

Is Mitsurugi suppose to represent the legendary samurai Miyamoto Musashi?

Nah, Mitsurugi doesn't represent Miyamoto Mushashi any more than Hilde represents Joan of Arc.
While a lot of Japanese series do pay homage to famous historical characters, SC is just pure fantasy, and only vaguely inspired by anyone from real history. Kind of ironic since SC1 loudly boasts "WELCOME TO THE STAGE OF HISTORY!" right on the character select.

Come to think of it, that may be partially why the series was never as popular in Japan.

Nah, Mitsurugi doesn't represent Miyamoto Mushashi any more than Hilde represents Joan of Arc.
While a lot of Japanese series do pay homage to famous historical characters, SC is just pure fantasy, and only vaguely inspired by anyone from real history. Kind of ironic since SC1 loudly boasts "WELCOME TO THE STAGE OF HISTORY!" right on the character select.

Come to think of it, that may be partially why the series was never as popular in Japan.

Really? Not even a little bit? I mean like pay homage to. Since they both wander the world to face strong people to get better. Like maxi has some aspects of bruce lee. Ya know what I mean?

Or I guess where I'm trying to get is Musashi and Bruce Lee is inspiration for characters like Mitsu and Maxi.

He's just meant to be a cool sengoku-era samurai. Remember SC is set just after the Sengoku jidai, Oda Nobunaga is in Yoshimitsu's story even. There's a whole bunch of people he's a homage to.

Musashi Miyamoto wielded two-swords in each hand. Wrote a book about dual-wielding. Mitsurugi is not based on that character, but perhaps based on the last samurai.

But none of the characters have any real historical underpinnings despite some of their names.

Really? Not even a little bit? I mean like pay homage to. Since they both wander the world to face strong people to get better. Like maxi has some aspects of bruce lee. Ya know what I mean?

Or I guess where I'm trying to get is Musashi and Bruce Lee is inspiration for characters like Mitsu and Maxi.

I'd say more so that Mitsu represents the classical samurai interpretation of a wandering ronin who's goal was testing his strength. Instead of referencing a specific historical figure, he more so represents the idea that was created of a ronin samurai during the sengoku era.

I'd say more so that Mitsu represents the classical samurai interpretation of a wandering ronin who's goal was testing his strength. Instead of referencing a specific historical figure, he more so represents the idea that was created of a ronin samurai during the sengoku era.

Ah well said thanks

Back