Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Mitsurugi's Tyrfing (I think he had others) was the closest to a one-handed sword I guess. But Salia started as a thief so the rapier made sense.

Yeah, I'm admittedly more worried about a rapier than anything else especially since Raph was one of the starting characters in IV which I feel would give him an edge along with Tira. That's despite my preference for Cervantes' style with dual swords (who I think will be unlocked and I'll be forced to use the Korean swordie for my main CaS until I unlock the two swords.)

And I did mean Han-Myong would be an NPC/opponent. I mean some of the SC1 Destined Battles get a reference, so might as well go all the way back.

But could QTEs make a return in the story mode?

Perhaps a better way of putting it is that we have at least five or six more characters on the roster, and at least three more characters who will have story. That way, predictions are being made with the bare minimum in mind, while anything extra on top of that is extra credit. If your prediction does have more than these totals, then you reserve the right to be disappointed if it comes out any differently.

For instance, I don't believe Seong Mi-na's story fits on any of the blurred names in the screenshot we have, so I do believe they'll be adding another new line under the blurred line under Grøh, who I believe to be Hwang. The three blurred lines under Ivy, I believe to be Cervantes, Lizardman, and Astaroth, who are all affiliated with Soul Edge/Schwarzstrom. Seong Mi-na being in the middle of these names doesn't make any sense, while her name being underneath Hwang's name makes perfect sense. So if they can add one line, they can add more than one line, so there's possibility for more characters who will have story.

Officially nothing. There's no proof of anything we've seen being anything more than placeholders. None of the screenshots we've seen has been confirmed as the official final product.

So good to know that Seong Mi Na's look is NOT FINAL then.

Can't wait until we see her actual final look.

They could change it, probably won't, but they could. Doesn't mean they will. That said, we're not talking about a character reveal, but speaking of characters, I do believe there's been re-balancing with the characters moves and damage and such. So yeah some of the game is in flux, and some things are misdirection to keep things surprising and fresh, or as an example to give an idea of what the final product will look like, and yes some things are complete. The point is, they've already confirmed some of what we've seen are placeholders.

It's just a glorified Arcade Mode but with AI beyond the highest difficulty with no real reward for finishing it other than saying you've finished it. Arcade Mode was already bad in SoulCalibur V, not having individual interactions/endings, but Legendary Souls was just next level icing on the cake. It would be an okay mode to have if the rest of the modes weren't already awful, but it didn't add anything to the table, really.
So basically you just wanted a reward for passing.

Time trials aren't meant to give you goodies just for beating your previous time. The reward is knowing you're getting better.

Legendary Souls is welcome in SCVI imo. Honestly the only thing I'd change is that we fight the entire cast & make the difficulty a bit harder.

So basically you just wanted a reward for passing.

Time trials aren't meant to give you goodies just for beating your previous time. The reward is knowing you're getting better.

Legendary Souls is welcome in SCVI imo. Honestly the only thing I'd change is that we fight the entire cast & make the difficulty a bit harder.
You say that, but Soul Arena in SoulCalibur III was essentially the same idea, trying to beat the various challenges as quickly as possible, but they did have unlockables (joke weapons, but still unlockables) for mastering each one with top ranks in the three difficulties. It doesn't have to be a mutually exclusive ideal. But I did say that Legendary Souls could have had no rewards and been fine if Arcade Mode had real interactions and endings like it should have, that Legendary Souls would have been a super hardcore bracket more like something you'd see in Soul Arena, like Beloved (Hard) for example was super hyped up AI with their best weapons fighting Raphael, Kilik, and Amy.

Legendary Souls didn't suck in and of itself, it's the context around it that made it look worse than it was.

Raphael has plenty going for him as a human. Seeing his struggle as he has to leave his home of aristocracy and seek the slums for shelter and meeting Amy would be a very heartwarming story. And his SoulCalibur II incarnation was his most competitive version, so the vampirism has only weakened his style over time, so like Talim, SoulCalibur VI may return him to being competitively viable.

Raphael has plenty going for him as a human. Seeing his struggle as he has to leave his home of aristocracy and seek the slums for shelter and meeting Amy would be a very heartwarming story. And his SoulCalibur II incarnation was his most competitive version, so the vampirism has only weakened his style over time, so like Talim, SoulCalibur VI may return him to being competitively viable.
Seriously, maybe its just me but he's legitimately one of the more interesting characters in the series. He was an outcast noble, then a vampire, then nightmare. I'd love to see that progression again. More dynamic characters is never a bad thing.

It's already been mentioned that the game will cover all the way up to SCII, but his malfestation and then vampirism doesn't occur until the end of SCII, so I'm not even sure if we're going to get an iteration of Raphael that does factor in the vampire stuff. But seeing all the new stuff they've been giving to every character, especially characters like Talim and Seong Mi-na makes me excited to see what they could possibly do with Raphael's moveset.

I'd like to see them take a page out of Amy's SCIV moveset (broken-ness withstanding) and maybe we might even see him succumb to a bit of the vampiric side in Soul Charge.

I think the art book said he still had a tinge of madness. Wonder if now would be a good time to incorporate that. Still I don’t think we had anybody with life draining abilities and a vampire is awfully convenient...

Yoshimitsu has life draining abilities, and he's not a vampire. And I honestly really don't think Raphael will have any sort of vampirism at all in SoulCalibur VI. The only way that would work is if he was always a vampire, and the malfestation only heightened his vampiric abilities, or awoke them, like E.I.N. awoke from within Z.W.E.I. when his body was pushed to almost dying. But no, maybe it would be a bit silly, but I would like to see some more of Raphael's dancing added to his style. His weapon demonstration included him tap dancing, and a lot of his and Amy's moves seem to be inspired by various forms of dance, so maybe we can have his special abilities being more on the stylish flair, with evasion moves where he can create opportunities for counterhit, and that sort of thing. His Soul Charge can add new evasive stances, and his Critical Edge could be or relate to the Danse Macabre.

Do you guys think that they would expand the story through DLC, in order to cover SoulCalibur 3? That might be a way to add Setsuka, Tira, and vampire Raphael.

Back