Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I'am more worried about that guy who might be Groh's dad (I hope he is not, because I don't like him lol).

@Vergeben can you confirm us if this guy is his dad or not ? He seems a second boss of the game, we saw Gr0h in a cinematic, so it might be him. Can we check other things like clothes, stage and voice acting ?

It would make sense to have a storyline where the new character Gr0h is somehow the hero along with the player who play a CAS.

It seems like it’ll be a throw back to Weapon Master.
I got a response back. They said they can't say much about Libra of Souls, but it being a throw back to Weapon Master mode is because that's what it originally was created as and called earlier in development.
But the theories about the mage character "may not be too far off."

I'm dissapointed that from IV on, Raph lost the goatee he had in his alts.

It seemed obvious to me Mr. Mage was going to be Papa Groh. The "Father" codename made me think he'd be some kind of priest honestly.

I actually looked up the year the game took place in and it's after Columbus sailed to America because of the India statement. Zas would surely know that America ain't India at that time. Looks like the guy had a crap ton of books in his SCIII ending. The mention of India and then the new guy showing up would have thrown us off but his outfit, especially the gauntlets, have elements of Groh's outfit.

And didn't the narrative structure of Weapon Master have it that you weren't actually the character but they were an avatar? I assume that the towns are where you unlock equipment. Perhaps we'll see the return of the Cepheus gals? Valeria can raise a leg at my poor self any time.

And did anybody notice the profile for the Outsiders (beast people) kind of alludes to Olcadan?

But if Aeon isn't coming back and neither are Hwang and Rock, I'm sure that the roster might actually be based off of SCII plus the console-exclusive girls, Zas, Groh, Geralt, and the mage. Charade may be replaced by Inferno.

And if the Mage can be used for CaS, I hope his CE or SC doesn't blow up their tops. Same for Groh's exploding gauntlet.

Sorry if this has been brought already, but has this been pointed out about Lizardman? Look at his pose and also remember that he's supposed to be left-handed. This looks like he's using Sophitia's moveset. I know this is a generic Lizardman enemy in the story mode, but you'd think they would still give him Lizardman's moveset.

lizzie-standing0000.png

That gave me an extremely worrying idea about the character screen. What if the bottom four slots are the season pass characters? (Garfield is representing Mr wizard dude in this example):

Podcast 2018-08-22 04-42-36-636.jpg

I doubt we'll be that unlucky, but maybe something to consider a possibility just in case.

I'm dissapointed that from IV on, Raph lost the goatee he had in his alts.

It seemed obvious to me Mr. Mage was going to be Papa Groh. The "Father" codename made me think he'd be some kind of priest honestly.

I actually looked up the year the game took place in and it's after Columbus sailed to America because of the India statement. Zas would surely know that America ain't India at that time. Looks like the guy had a crap ton of books in his SCIII ending. The mention of India and then the new guy showing up would have thrown us off but his outfit, especially the gauntlets, have elements of Groh's outfit.

And didn't the narrative structure of Weapon Master have it that you weren't actually the character but they were an avatar? I assume that the towns are where you unlock equipment. Perhaps we'll see the return of the Cepheus gals? Valeria can raise a leg at my poor self any time.

And did anybody notice the profile for the Outsiders (beast people) kind of alludes to Olcadan?

But if Aeon isn't coming back and neither are Hwang and Rock, I'm sure that the roster might actually be based off of SCII plus the console-exclusive girls, Zas, Groh, Geralt, and the mage. Charade may be replaced by Inferno.

And if the Mage can be used for CaS, I hope his CE or SC doesn't blow up their tops. Same for Groh's exploding gauntlet.
Soulcalibur-VI_2018_08-21-18_040.jpg
I am kind of surprised no one else noticed that it looks like the mage isn't wearing his top in this shot here.

Maybe it's just for flair like short-haired Siegfried? Maybe that's just a cutscene even. I don't think the camera would pan out like that.

And I doubt that bottom row's gonna be DLC when there are the glowy things.

But Lizzy is holding his shield at an angle that looks more human-like. The axe seems bigger than Sophie's sword like Aeon's in the artwork. I'm tied between that being Aeon himself or even Cassie's style. Maybe there are race-exclusive styles? It sounds like they should have certain abilities going by their descriptions... Maybe they're just passives for Libra?

On the menu though, the full names look like they'll be too long. Maybe they can just be Libra and Chronicles? We do have a description at the bottom.

Last edited:
Soulcalibur-VI_2018_08-21-18_040.jpg
I am kind of surprised no one else noticed that it looks like the mage isn't wearing his top in this shot here.
I saw that. I just thought it was an armor break thing. Maybe it's a plot point that you have to defeat him by breaking his magic robes or something.

Also, you can see at 0:23 that his weapon is actually a spear, not a staff.

Last edited:
You know what a full stop means? Did you see the season pass, as soon as it was revealed, to include 3 characters + a bonus one when it was revealed at E3? Did you see how Tira was called several times, a bonus character for people with the season pass?

I know you're pissed, but you seem to be purposely misinterpreting the information to make it look worse than it is, no one here is happy about it and you can say it is a moral standing, but Soul Calibur is not a series that can afford to not play by the cards set by giants like Tekken and Street Fighter, or even a more recent example in Dragon Ball fighters.

If you want some perspective, Street Fighter V took a year to sell 2.5 copies, Nioh a new IP sold 2M in a one year lapse.

Now look at a maximum income IP Call of Duty: WWII sold 10 Million copies, do you see how much a game like Calibur needs that to make some money? Fighting game IPs are niche as they come and Calibur is the closest thing to a "niche mainstream" game, it has a name and a legacy, but it sells around 1.5M.
Woah chill bro lol, I got over the thing about the double pre-order when I realized I may have been wrong. I'm not intentionally trying to spread misinformation, I'm just confused as to why we can't get a straight up answer when Bamco is getting tons of questions and comments about it. It's clear the initial clarification wasn't enough.
Lmao don't act like pre-order characters aren't just as bad Boon.
there'd be a lot of annoyance from early pre-order folks who may be too late to cancel.
Boo hoo, next time they should wait until the game is about to launch to pre-order (or just, you know, buy the game normally).

Is this guy actually from NR? I don't know why they're trying to start shit when their games animations is as lazy as it gets, one SC character is probably equivalent...I dunno how many MK or Injustice characters.
NRS isn't lazy, we see that with their trailers and story cinematics. They're just dumb. The animations in MK and Injustice are intentionally stiff and archaic for "nostalgia reasons".
(Garfield is representing Mr wizard dude in this example)
Lmao wtf is this sentence

I am hoping that the floating clothes, belts and whatever is early stages of the game being shown, but I doubt that being the case.

The bright side is that I do like the races and I hope this means no armor break on things like horns, tails, wings, strange ears and whatever else.

Lastly, I am surprised that Tira is DLC and not so sure how I feel about that... but I know that that will leave many people angry.

The thing is with Tira , is that they are showing her nearly complete two months before the game is released. Two weeks or a week and a half is a better time than 2 months ahead of release. At this point we should be hearing about whats included with the game. Everyone at this point still wondering who is in the base roster and looking forward to reveals. If the wizard guy was the last reveal then that would suck. They should be more transparent that reveals are nearing its end.

There's an NPC in the Libra trailer that uses the coat from the new guy's outfit, so his parts might be useable in CaS. I actually wanted to post this in the roster speculation thread since this might mean he's playable (the other characters have their costume parts in CaS), but eh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Algol is really the only character who had unique parts that you couldn't get before, parts that were used on a CaS (Arcturus), but yeah, I noticed the coat being shown on the other guy immediately right after all the same. The new guy having parts also usable in CaS doesn't inherently prove or disprove anything in and of itself, though. Though his face seems rather detailed, and having his own custom attack (at least in a cutscene, but I still think that's a Critical Edge) and weapon, and voice lines, I feel like he's his own character and possibly Grøh's dad. I can't really see him not being Grøh's dad because that would mean three new male characters and zero new female characters.

I mean, I noticed it, but it's just armor break, didn't seem like a big deal.

@Sectus -- I raised the possibility that the bottom row was all DLC like a month and a week or so ago back in the speculation thread but no one batted an eye or took it seriously. I still don't really think that's the case, but it's not technically impossible.

@SpellcraftQuill -- Just because we don't agree on things a lot doesn't mean I can't recognize that you're interested in CaS as I am, we just want different things a lot of the time. I'm not against you or anything like that, I just tend to raise discussion points on things that aren't seen on the same page because that's usually more interesting than everyone agreeing with each other.

The funny thing is that I was predicting him to use floating swords and some of the fake leaks or rumors implied Azwel or whatever his name is was a magician.

I hope if new faces are added, there’s a goatee at least.

Sorry if this has been brought already, but has this been pointed out about Lizardman? Look at his pose and also remember that he's supposed to be left-handed. This looks like he's using Sophitia's moveset. I know this is a generic Lizardman enemy in the story mode, but you'd think they would still give him Lizardman's moveset.

View attachment 50437
Huh. It's worth noting that the Lizardman from the Schwartzstorm illustration is left-handed, unlike the generic one we see in this trailer... but so are the generic ones we see in the other illustration, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

schwartzstorm.png
lizartmon.png

Also I seriously doubt we're done with the base roster. We're not even at 20 yet, which is the number of characters in the story screenshot. It's also not clear if Mr. Wizardman is even a proper character.

If Namco want that much money they should release alt costumes for character like SFV. No one would complains since it's cosmetic and everyone that got his main new costumes will throw money at Namco and be Happy Kappa

@Norik -- I was going to say that that image might be reversed, for some reason, but Nightmare is using Soul Edge with his left hand, as he should, so that's not right either. I feel like, perhaps, Lizardman's style just isn't complete, and they decided to show that we could make Lizardmen before revealing Lizardman, and in the final product, he'll have his own style and they'll all be left-handed properly, with sword or axe as you choose. Patroklos and Pyrrha shared some weapons in SoulCalibur V, so it's not impossible that Sophitia and Lizardman wouldn't share weapons in the same way.

I'm kinda sad that hex editing won't be a thing anymore for consoles, and that pc modding will run completely rampant; I liked the puzzle of working within limitations of what was actually in the game to make cool stuffs. :/ The CAS seems to have the same problems V did with sizing/clipping and such.
There's a tool for converting PS4 saves from select games into an editable format, though the tool isn't free.

It'd be a Grade-A fuckup if they accidentally revealed a character using a style that wasn't supposed to be revealed yet in a publicity post.
I don't think it would be too far off Astaroth being teased 2 months ago in story mode screenshots.

@Sectus -- I raised the possibility that the bottom row was all DLC like a month and a week or so ago back in the speculation thread but no one batted an eye or took it seriously. I still don't really think that's the case, but it's not technically impossible.
I had always assumed DLC characters would be new slots or selected a different way, but this theory definitely sounds plausible (though unlikely).
  • It would match up with the Azwel leak which suggests the roster is smaller than we think.
  • If the timeline screenshots show the base roster without DLC, then it could match up with that.
This would only make sense if all the season pass DLC is released close to launch. Otherwise, it would be really bizarre to see unused character slots on the select screen for months.

"Online Play

Also revealed today at Gamescom is online play, allowing players to fight using their own custom characters or favorite Soulcalibur VI fighters against other players from across the world in both casual or ranked matches."

Ewwwwwwwwwww

https://gematsu.com/2018/08/soulcalibur-vi-gamescom-2018-trailers-details-and-screenshots

BTW i'm starting to seriously suspect the new guy in the trailer to be Groh's Father. And if he's not Groh's father, i suspect this last one to be cancelled and replaced by the Illuminati Mage guy we have now. (Or ... replaced by Groh's Mom? Kappa)

@Vergeben : What do you feel about this whole Groh's Dad/ New dude in story trailer/ Azwel? Don't you feel they're all one character? Personally i feel that it could be the case and they're all one person.

Last edited:
Back