Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Hey @Vergeben, you mentioned the dark-skinned female barbarian could show up in the game either in the base or DLC but it's unclear. Other than the basic descriptor, do you have any idea of what her design is?

Hello !

I don't know if you've seen on my twitter, I posted the pics of the main moves for each character playable in the build ! They have recommended moves, combos, lethal hits conditions and follow ups after Reversal Edges. Very interesting knowledge !
It was given to the stations at the Ring Out event yesterday, so I took pictures of that to share with you.

His Japanese voice sounds a little bit comical I guess? But the possible Chaos theme is kind of creepy. Part of it sounded like a twisted version of the character select theme to me?

I think one of the reasons I became fond of using Cervantes besides dual swords is that I really wanted to mash the button when I was young to avoid that freaky laugh he did in SB. And possibly to force him into his alt where he wasn’t as purple. Voldo was just too weird for me to be afraid of.

Azwel’s smile is off-putting and his feet probably smell now that I can see he’s wearing sandals.

I think the characters collapsing is how they enter Chaos going by the scene in the story trailer where Xianghua is getting off the ground. In I and II they just looked around before getting teleported.

Actual important news. Remember when Okubo said porting SCVI to Switch a possibility last December after the game was announced.

Dualshockers interviewed Okubo at Gamescom for the possibility of a Switch port.

“At the moment there is no development for Switch at all. I understand that the Switch is a very successful hardware, and of course if there is a possibility, then it would be great to do it.

At the moment we’re focusing on the October 19th launch, so we don’t even have the time to think about that possibility. After the launch we’ll think about the possibility.”

https://www.dualshockers.com/soulcalibur-6-no-switch-maybe-later/
Like someone said earlier, having them give it the Nintendo treatment with an extra Link guest and Nintendo CAS items would be the smartest route. I'd gladly double dip.
Let me guess what a Switch port would entail:

Link as a guest (based on his BOTW appearance)

Nintendo-themed CAS parts (LOZ, FE, and maybe others)

Exclusive mode (inevitably)

Also, would Geralt be in this version? He's never been on Nintendo.
Great news they're taking it under consideration. It would help SCVI's overall success out a lot to get it on Switch later. Especially if they add exclusive content and a Nintendo guest character. Updating Link's old moveset to match Breath of the Wild would really be the smartest thing they could do. It's kind of funny to think about, since they could alter the box art and place Link on the Switch version cover art between Mitsurugi and Geralt.

As for Geralt, his games not being on Nintendo platforms doesn't matter. Phoenix Wright made it on to UMvC3 despite his games only being on Nintendo platforms up to that point.

Start doing the crossover treatment

Soul Calibur 6 X Super Smash Bros.
This is kind of a weird observation, but I cannot be the only one who thought Final Destination on Smash for Wii U and 3DS looked similar to and gave off the Astral Chaos feeling right?
I do know and it was said back then that Project Soul team members went on to work on Smash for Wii U and 3DS so I can only assume that was an intentional reference done by them. Kind of like writing their signature on the game.

The 60 fps Japanese trailer for Azwil is out:

And the Soul Archive site is updated with his info:
View attachment 50608
View attachment 50609
View attachment 50610
View attachment 50611

Reading his info (through Google Translate, so don't know how accurate it is), here are some interesting tidbits about Azwel:
  • Under "Relations" it says he considers all of humanity his family. No mention of Groh.
  • He's from the Holy Roman Empire
  • He's a self designated "Scholar of Humanity"
  • He was/is part of the Aval Organization and was conducting research into both swords
  • His weapon is his gauntlets and there's shards of Soul Edge embedded in one gauntlet and a shards of Soul Calibur in the other
Those are great screenshots. The Hiroaki art of him in the story looks great too.
It's also nice seeing his trailer in 60fps and confirmation that who I heard was voicing him in Japanese was correct Azwel.

Azwel's Japanese VA is Masashi Ebara:
  • Van Hohenheim in Fullmetal Alchemist
  • Guy in Naruto
  • Alastor in Shakugan no Shana
Can confirm it is. As I said before, Azwel is voiced by Taliesin Jaffe in English.
Masashi Ebara is his Japanese VA.

So... I think the thing about Azwel being Groh's dad might be a hilarious assumption from the localization leaker.

We know from the trailer Groh is involved in Libra of Soul and even seems to fight against Azwel directly. In their conversations, which there are probably a lot of, Azwel probably refers to Groh as "my son" or something like that.

It might not literally be true though. He very well could be speaking metaphorically. He might even refer to everyone as his child, with his whole "leader of humanity" bit. I could easily see this confusing the localizer and lead them to miss the context and take it at face value.

There could end up being a Darth Vader type "no, Groh, I am your father. Like for real, not figuratively" moment, but I dunno, seems unlikely now. Just my theory.
It would be kind of funny if it was a misunderstanding. I don't think it is though due to the insistence that I've had that he is his father though.

He has 3 hairstyles =D
The middle one is my fav.View attachment 50612
Those better be available as character customization options once he is unlocked.

Hey @Vergeben, you mentioned the dark-skinned female barbarian could show up in the game either in the base or DLC but it's unclear. Other than the basic descriptor, do you have any idea of what her design is?
If you don't mind me repeating what I said before for the answer, I don't know much other than the artist they liked the "large and muscular women" character type idea and the "dark skinned women" archetype that they noticed is popular now in fighting games with many of the new installments in major franchises including one like Guilty Gear (Ramlethal), Street Fighter (Menat), and Tekken (Master Raven). And even non-fighting game characters like Urbosa.

They said that some of the people working on the game are fans of an artist called 23 who also goes by sela_god and Real XXIII, and that some of their work that's of big, muscular, dark skinned women was inspiring said female character design to some extent that they wanted to put in the game but didn't have the opportunity to.

I had to look up who this artist they mentioned was, but fair share of warning it is NSFW lol
Had to remove sorry.

That's all that I specifically knew about the character other than she was regrettably scrapped despite Okubo pushing for her inclusion, she did not make it in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redacted.
So Cassandra could end up not being playable in the game at all and is just a NPC?..... Fuck that.

I'm beyond pissed if they made such a stupid decision.
Lol told you guys
The 60 fps Japanese trailer for Azwil is out:

And the Soul Archive site is updated with his info:
View attachment 50608
View attachment 50609
View attachment 50610
View attachment 50611

Reading his info (through Google Translate, so don't know how accurate it is), here are some interesting tidbits about Azwel:
  • Under "Relations" it says he considers all of humanity his family. No mention of Groh.
  • He's from the Holy Roman Empire
  • He's a self designated "Scholar of Humanity"
  • He was/is part of the Aval Organization and was conducting research into both swords
  • His weapon is his gauntlets and there's shards of Soul Edge embedded in one gauntlet and a shards of Soul Calibur in the other
I hate that Tira isn't on the Archive because there's no transparent version of her art.

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering who gave them the idea for a muscular dark-skinned female character, I'm glad they never went with her. I'd enjoy having a character with that description on the roster, but not one inspired by a hentai artist. God knows what kinda dumpster fire of a design she'd get.

That's taken out of context. Vergeben stated earlier that she could be in the game still, like how Mi-na was thought to not make it initially, or as DLC.

So don't start celebrating too early, like the meme goes.

Great news they're taking it under consideration. It would help SCVI's overall success out a lot to get it on Switch later. Especially if they add exclusive content and a Nintendo guest character. Updating Link's old moveset to match Breath of the Wild would really be the smartest thing they could do. It's kind of funny to think about, since they could alter the box art and place Link on the Switch version cover art between Mitsurugi and Geralt. As for Geralt, his games not being on Nintendo platforms doesn't matter. Phoenix Wright made it on to UMvC3 despite his games only being on Nintendo platforms up to that point.

Can confirm it is. As I said before, Azwel is voiced by Taliesin Jaffe in English.
Masashi Ebara is his Japanese VA.

It would be kind of funny if it was a misunderstanding. I don't think it is though due to the insistence that I've had that he is his father though.

Those better be available as character customization options once he is unlocked.

1. I can't help but wonder whether the Switch PRO will be capable of playing Witcher 3...would potentially be a good time to release Soul Calibur VI as well (after a season pass or two). Keep the longevity of the game going and all that. The issue is really whether the Switch would be capable of playing either without some major downgrades to the games or major upgrades to the hardware.

2. The trailer made it even more obvious that it is Taliesin Jaffe and he probably relished being able to play such a crazy character. Are there any more of the Critical Role cast voicing any of the characters (where there is one there is often more)? I almost feel as if new Mitsurugi is being voiced by Matthew Mercer.

3. I could see it being a misunderstanding just due to the way the character acts but it doesn't explain why groh despises him so much then. Hopefully we'll get the hair when we unlock him after playing through libra of the soul mode.

4. Any information to share yet about those two dots on the character select screen? Or while we are at it any response about what people haven't yet noticed about the select screen?

window aeon sad.png

1. I can't help but wonder whether the Switch PRO will be capable of playing Witcher 3...would potentially be a good time to release Soul Calibur VI as well (after a season pass or two). Keep the longevity of the game going and all that. The issue is really whether the Switch would be capable of playing either without some major downgrades to the games or major upgrades to the hardware.

2. The trailer made it even more obvious that it is Taliesin Jaffe and he probably relished being able to play such a crazy character. Are there any more of the Critical Role cast voicing any of the characters (where there is one there is often more)? I almost feel as if new Mitsurugi is being voiced by Matthew Mercer.

3. I could see it being a misunderstanding just due to the way the character acts but it doesn't explain why groh despises him so much then. Hopefully we'll get the hair when we unlock him after playing through libra of the soul mode.

4. Any information to share yet about those two dots on the character select screen? Or while we are at it any response about what people haven't yet noticed about the select screen?
1. I wouldn't be surprised. As for the season pass thing, it depends on how long of a wait there is until SCVI gets a port to Switch.
DBFZ on Switch still requires you to buy the season pass since all the characters aren't released yet for it. Even if they were, I doubt they would have packed them all in at launch for the Switch version like if it were some kind of definitive version or something.

2. He really does sound like he did. Matthew Mercer is voicing Mitsurugi, yes.

3. I can't help but refer to me hearing that Groh would have "daddy issues" so that would explain him despising Azwel as much as he does.

4. No response yet about the character select screen stuff since they are going to have to look through all the material and theories I sent them from here but hopefully tomorrow.

I don't know why this was as funny as it was to me but gj

Lizardman is 50/50 right now:

What make me think he will make it in the game:

*We could see his silouhette in the E3 Story trailer.
*There has never been a Soul Calibur without Lizardman/Aeon.
* He's in the Azwel Leak. (Tho it don't 100% confirm him, but give him more chances)

What make me think he won't be in the game:

*Nothing actually, like even the CaS thing isn't really a proof he won't make it.

So... well i'm realizing that actually he's more than 50/50

Considering who gave them the idea for a muscular dark-skinned female character, I'm glad they never went with her. I'd enjoy having a character with that description on the roster, but not one inspired by a hentai artist. God knows what kinda dumpster fire of a design she'd get.

Pretty much Rock's design minus the animal head and female but with a bit more flair to it i'd imagine. If this is true, then it is the nail in the coffin for Rock and we can probably expect her on DLC. I dont really want to see a large club, axe or sword on her though. Hoping for some type of chained weapon.

Normally, i'd say new characters aren't a good idea on DLC but i think she would work. For the same reason you see a "dumpster fire" will be the reason she sells.

Pretty much Rock's design minus the animal head and female but with a bit more flair to it i'd imagine. If this is true, then it is the nail in the coffin for Rock and we can probably expect her on DLC. I dont really want to see a large club, axe or sword on her though. Hoping for some type of chained weapon.

Normally, i'd say new characters aren't a good idea on DLC but i think she would work. For the same reason you see a "dumpster fire" will be the reason she sells.
Yeah, it'll be like a Nyutengu vs Tengu situation.

Back