Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Reading through chats, I have noticed that many people voice dissatisfaction over the length of CE animations, especially during Zasalamel fights... And, I gotta say, I'm feeling it a bit Azw... As well. What are your opinions?
I wouldn't mind seeing them shorter. I've never been a fan of lengthy animations disrupting the pace of a match. I like that you get an extra piece of animation if the CE is the finishing blow, and I think they could have gone all-in with that and made the CE a relatively short animation as long as it's not finishing the round.

What's the time frame of an announcement again?
Whenever there are no events happening they've usually been announcing one character every 2 weeks, and that's almost always been16:00 CET on a Thursday. It's now 2 weeks since Gamescom, so maybe they'll announce a character this Thursday. But I think it's also very possible we'll have no news until TGS. For instance. they had no news during the month of E3 except for the reveals at E3.

tenor.gif

Now we just need some announcement trailers for Raph and Cerv at the end so Bamco can stop looking like fools right about now.
Off note that gif though, damn it I wanna watch it now.

What do you guys think about the CE that seems happening often during the matches? There are times where there is even 3 CE in 1 round and i found it a bit too much, the CE should be special, and its rarity is one of the things that make it special.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about the CE that seems happening often during the matches? There are times where there is even 3 CE in 1 round and i found it a bit too much, the CE should be special, and its rarity is one the things that make it special.
I don't like it either, for the same reason. And i don't appreciate the reversal edge slow motion azwel for throwing off the pace of the match but I haven't had the chance to play the game myself yet, maybe I will like it then.

And i don't appreciate the reversal edge slow motion for throwing off the pace of the match but I haven't had the chance to play the game myself yet, maybe I will like it then.

It was actually my worrie when it was first reveal, but based Aris after his first play it really doesn't do that in the end of the day. (as opposite to Injustice 2 Wager system for ex). And i've not seen anyone who complained about this too, so i don't really think this will be an issue.

Yeah, RE is turning out to be more complex than most of us initially thought, so I think that the RE animation isn't such a nuisance. :)

As for CE, I am on the same page as Sectus in it that the mid-fight specials' animation duration could use a halving, while round finishers should be left as they are. This is akin to a solution employed by the summoning systems of Final Fantasy IX and (maybe) X. Of course, I understand that finding an elegant solution for every character would be time-consuming, is potentially not feasible in the Unreal engine, and maybe not so necessary, so I guess I don't expect any change here and that the game is good just the way it is. :)

What do you guys think about the CE that seems happening often during the matches? There are times where there is even 3 CE in 1 round and i found it a bit too much, the CE should be special, and its rarity is one of the things that make it special.
That's what happens when you want to make supers at all cost, and you make them too much easy to execute and too strong in general. I don't understand why someone must spend 1 meter for a Soul Charge when with one single button you can have an easy and heavy damage...
They should rethink CE mechanism from the beginning, but it's too late for that

It's crazy but Mina is the second female i'm the most excited about to try out. She looks just too great, i love her look and her gameplay seems really fun.

Or maybe not? If i remember well Okubo said in one Kayane interview that they're still working on the game and there should be a day one patch. Game has already been gold and set to print since few already.

I don't how they could do it, maybe making CE with 2 bars and maybe adding damages to 10%, of course that's not something you decide just like that, need a lot of adjustments, studies, and mostly many gameplay tests by many players. I mean who knows they're doing all those tournament, and one of the reason is probably to see how the game will work at a decent level, so they may even realize this themselves and didn't see it coming at first? I'm not really expecting huge changes, but maybe who knows. We'll see how the game will end once released and with the day one patch.

That's what happens when you want to make supers at all cost, and you make them too much easy to execute and too strong in general. I don't understand why someone must spend 1 meter for a Soul Charge when with one single button you can have an easy and heavy damage...
Hmm... I disagree with that because we have witnessed how much more devastation can Soul Charge bring in comparison to CE if used properly. Plus, available options during the state differ from character to character, which makes things that much more interesting. I guess soul charge will pay off more when a player acquires more experience.

Perhaps they could make it so that you can only use Critical Edge once per round while retaining the 1 bar use. That or balance meter gain specifically for some characters (Yoshimitsu, Zasalamel, and Kilik come to mind).

Its no problem for me but maybe they shoud add skip option to the cutscenes that happen when you kill with CE ... I heard Aris and some other people talk about how long they are

Critical Edge is good for block/whiff punishing things to get guaranteed damage, to GI attacks (if they have one), or to extend combo damage. Spending meter on Soul Charge is more risky, but you gain a lot of advantages even on block and it easily lets you escape pressure upon activation. You could deal around the same amount of damage as a CE or even more if the opponent guesses wrong. SC is generally much more versatile than CE and can be used both offensively and defensively.

The meter mechanics are fine as is, though I wish all characters still had BE's so that there is more variety. Costing a quarter of a full meter instead of half would be appropriate. I don't mind the cutscenes because they are over in less than 10 seconds, I have enough patience for that.

For anyone who missed the PAX West stream yesterday where Justin Wong played against random people, then here's a good summary of the entire thing:

Maybe they should have left him practice beforehand.

They must have let J. Wong play because of his name recognition in Marvel & Street Fighter.

Back