Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I wonder what okubo meant exactly by saying there's no 2p. Now thinking about it, T7 doesn't have 2p either, but still have them in a way, and even more for some characters.
They just revealed all of Anna's alternate outfits:
img_dlc4_05.png
Would be pretty amazing if SC characters got this level of care and attention.

They just revealed all of Anna's alternate outfits:
img_dlc4_05.png
Would be pretty amazing if SC characters got this level of care and attention.

Yeah hers and Lei's too.

Actually my post just came to mind after i've seen the new Tekken 7 costumes lol

Yeah i'd really love too, absolutely loving the actual state of the game but still hope 2p will end making it in some way. (DLC, or cie...)

I agree.SC will never be popular like Tekken in Asia.That's why Namco doesn't care too much for our game.
And it's a shame, really... Imho, SC has always been superior in many regards (simply compare Soul Blade and Tekken 3 and you'll see how animations in SB are far better).

The saddest part is that both games could coexist easily, yet they aren't given the chance...

I've always thought about making a Tekken Vs SC thread and get people's opinions on why Tekken is obviously bigger and more popular even tho SC feel superior and better in every way for me. My only guess is because Tekken is more mash-friendly. you can literally give a 5 year old the gamepad to mash and you'll see combos and strings.

I've always thought about making a Tekken Vs SC thread and get people's opinions on why Tekken is obviously bigger and more popular even tho SC feel superior and better in every way for me. My only guess is because Tekken is more mash-friendly. you can literally give a 5 year old the gamepad to mash and you'll see combos and strings.

i think tekken is more popular for a pretty simple reason

the characters and the absurd plots

like SC is pretty grounded and almost all of it's characters are tame in comparison, tekken does allot of stupid fan service with kuma, panda, rodger, alex, ect. I love SC way more but the story and characters of tekken are way more interesting in terms of "look at all this stupid shit". SC does have a few bits of silly stuff and fan service here and there but really not that much, it probably doesn't help that V just ruined it for everyone. Had V been a different game we might have seen SC going head to head with tekken.

as for gameplay stuff, i think tekken has been a better game than most other SC games, my one problem with tekken being the heavy reliance on juggling (that's also my problem with MvC but that's a different topic)

Not everyone has interest in a fantasy weapons fighter. Modern period martial arts will be more widely accepted. No one really carries around those weapons these days but martial arts is very much a real thing. Yes i know, there are particular types of weapon sports and dueling but its still not anywhere comparable considering all forms of boxing and martial arts. Anyway, going from there it should make sense that relatability caries over into fighting games.

One of the main reason Tekken is above SC in term of success is the timing and platform. SC had weird console choices, first SE on playstation, then SC on Dreamcast, then SC2 multi, then SC3 on PS2 only. Also the timing of the titles wasn't always the best.

SC2 and SC4 sold well, what do they have in common? Guest characters + Multiplat + good timing (first years of the console generation)

Also in general this is just a fact, fighing games sell better on PS platforms, and even VF4 sold better on PS2 than Dreamcast aka its own home (all VF released before were Sega console exclusive, and VF4 evo on PS2 is the best selling title of the serie)

Resident Evil was also struggling too hard the days Capcom decided to make them Game Cube exclusive, the sales weren't as good as before, then it goes back to PS then multiplat, and look where's the franchise now. (I mean what kind of fucking weird logic that was? The game most sales were on PS then make it GC exclusive? Da heck??? lol)

Tekken 1 was born on PS and stay to PS to this day,the first Tekken was mindblow but not only AND... it was released in the most successful console and also at the very earlier days so it really didn't have any competition. Tekken 2 was even way better and put everything else to shame, and Tekken 3 was just phenomenal and a part of pop culture.

For SC It was what it was, but honestly i'm sure if Soul Calibur 1 was a Playstation 2 launch title (or almost), it would have done too well. and way better on what it did when it was Dreamcast exclusive, no disrespect to any platform it just the way it was. (Almost same can be said about Shenmue, legendary game, but couldn't get the deserve success, since the console it was release on was struggling)

Last edited:

like SC is pretty grounded and almost all of it's characters are tame in comparison, tekken does allot of stupid fan service with kuma, panda, rodger, alex, ect. I love SC way more but the story and characters of tekken are way more interesting in terms of "look at all this stupid shit". SC does have a few bits of silly stuff and fan service here and there but really not that much, it probably doesn't help that V just ruined it for everyone. Had V been a different game we might have seen SC going head to head with tekken.

as for gameplay stuff, i think tekken has been a better game than most other SC games, my one problem with tekken being the heavy reliance on juggling (that's also my problem with MvC but that's a different topic)

I played the Soul series since Soul Blade and Tekken since 2. Tekken 2 and 3 were two of the defining games of my childhood, and I remember playing 4 for the first time and thinking that it had lost some of its identity. I think there was a particular storyline where Xiaoyu wanted to get a time machine to save Jin - that was when I realised it was getting ridiculous and really turned me off to the series - I’ve tried to get into 6 and Tag Tournament 2 but didn’t spend more than a couple of hours on each. Tekken 7 looks interesting but not the same series that I loved in the 90s.

I’ll admit that the Soul series has changed over the years but up to 4 was consistent in its storytelling and didn’t veer off onto ridiculous plots. We can all agree that 5 was a low point but I understand it to be an attempt to pander to the eastern markets that Tekken had success with. 6 is bringing everything back to how it should be.

I think what the Soul series will always have on Tekken as well as consistent storytelling is great design - the art and aesthetics in the series are works of art.

I really hope the new one does well and that it will get continued support and content in the way that Tekken 7 does. If each new DLC character comes with all the artwork, an individual story and all the CaS parts and style, I think it’s well worth paying for.

I think SC6 got it all right now, well expect the Tira drama, but also it will have a lot of competition, honestly if we were at the 2005 era i'd say the game may struggle, but thanks to the social streaming and cie that may help the game if it end really good and strong, and i think it will. This is basically what helped Tekken 7 to stay a hype game to this day, and i just hope and think SC6 will have the same blast.

For me Tekken was always the inferior game. A curious case of totally random looking characters set in present day... almost all of them are uninteresting and lack charisma, have random reasons to join the tournament and no one fucking dresses that badly anyway. The only character I could get into was Zafina, who was promptly removed after 2 games (?) and replaced by the latest, cringeworthy characters. The gameplay itself feels rigid to me and lacks the awesome factor that SC had in every game since Soul Edge. For some reason there is a bunch of awkward supernatural (as opposed to cool supernatural) characters and also ones that are just regular people. I'm not even gonna get started on the customization which is abysmal. It's just boring to me and I thought I could play it while waiting for SC6 but... I played maybe 6 hours in total, most of which somehow ended up being bowling? I don't understand why this game would be more popular than SC or even DoA is more fun to play.
After seeing the state of Tekken 7, I just wanna say nostalgia, brand loyalty and widespread recognition makes it a more popular title, not the actual qualities of the game. But that's just my opinion.

I wouldn't say SC is more grounded in reality with a demon armed guy, hula hoop girl, owl headed man etc. I wish Soul Calibur would start grounding things in real world warrior cultures, instead of fictional ones (IMO).

Tekken, I think was helped by Sony marketing Tekken 3 as the premier fighting game franchise for the Playstation, and as you know, Tekken for a long time was always associated with Playstation. I also think the Hong Kong movie craze of the era(modern and classic), and the popularity of 90's martial arts action stars like JCVD, Steven Seagall etc also helped.

I always figured it's the opposite where a lot of Tekken's popularity is because it's a lot more grounded in reality than SC.

Sure you've got a few animals and monsters but it's also set in modern times and a lot of characters use real well known martial arts, so you've got the crazy monsters for people into that but there's also lots of normal people using recognisable martial arts for fans who want someone to identify with.

Meanwhile SC is set hundreds of years ago and is weapon based (with primarily fantastical fighting styles as well), so you can't really go into it and find someone you identify with immediately the way you can look at Tekken and think 'oh hey that guy's doing Taekwondo/Karate/Judo like I did as a kid'. Add that to the much bigger (and again, modern day) list of nationalities and it's a lot easier for people to find a character they can identify right away.

Back