Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Guys, lets be reasonable. We are getting at least 2 confirmed story modes, a solid and fun gameplay that resembles the old and successful SC1 and 2 (with the exception of the RE mechanic that i still dont like it, despite it has been proven that has some depth beyond a rock paper scissors game) a good roster of characters, lots of them missing in SC5, im still hype despite im a Hilde main, and im aware she will probably not make it.
Besides, a lot of people that never touched a SC game is interested to play, etc. Hell, so far except the Tira DLC incident, a ton of people its pretty damn hype for the game. I hope the game will do great, and we will get 2p costumes as DLC, and a second season pass, like Tekken 7.

PS: sorry for my english xD

its kinda the same but CAS is lower quality
I understand this perspective, but at the same time the quality depends on the effort that's put into them. There is some pretty impressive CaS out there for SC5. Let's assume that you as a player can't make a quality costume like that though. Okubo has said in his Kayane interview that you can download other player's outfits. I think that makes a big difference since there's actually a reason for people to competitive with it.

SC5/SC4 outfits are CaS items in SC5, so we *could* have legacy costumes by technicality if they're recycled. I'm just really not worried about it and I am more worried about things that they've already addressed and made.

giphy.gif

It's not people wanting more, it's people wanting the game to cater ONLY to their specific individual desire and screw all the other things other people might want.

The game has a bit of everything for everybody, and some people are too self centered to appreciate that the game has things to appeal to a broader group of people than themselves and only themselves. Instead they want a huge enormous glut of the thing they desire, and anything that someone else desires that detracts from that glut is the death of the game and means it should die horribly for daring to be more than a one trick pony.

I feel we're dealing with a couple different kinds of people. The selfish type that you're describing is more in line with myself. I've made my opinions known about the focus of single player content in this game in some of the previous discussions we've had. The issue with me isn't the content itself but rather what it comes at the cost of and i was concerned with how people react to "cut content". This leads into the other group, whom i fear actually makes up the majority of their "fan feedback". People who legitimately expect more content. See... they went online and made their demands without thinking it would come at the cost of something else, or caring, now apparently PS is to blame.

Right now my biggest concerns with the game are the RE mechanic and the overall experience online because that is how i will have to get all of my matches. I wouldn't blame anyone for deciding not to purchase the game because you feel its not checking an appropriate amount of boxes for what you feel is priority. However i think its important to understand the reasons things were cut or focus was shifted. I wouldn't personally put a tremendous amount of concern for stages and costumes but i can only speak for myself.

I feel we're dealing with a couple different kinds of people. The selfish type that you're describing is more in line with myself. I've made my opinions known about the focus of single player content in this game in some of the previous discussions we've had. The issue with me isn't the content itself but rather what it comes at the cost of and i was concerned with how people react to "cut content". This leads into the other group, whom i fear actually makes up the majority of their "fan feedback". People who legitimately expect more content. See... they went online and made their demands without thinking it would come at the cost of something else, or caring, now apparently PS is to blame.

Right now my biggest concerns with the game are the RE mechanic and the overall experience online because that is how i will have to get all of my matches. I wouldn't blame anyone for deciding not to purchase the game because you feel its not checking an appropriate amount of boxes for what you feel is priority. However i think its important to understand the reasons things were cut or focus was shifted. I wouldn't personally put a tremendous amount of concern for stages and costumes but i can only speak for myself.
I think you're misidentifying who's complaining. I very much doubt most of the complainers are doing so because they got what they wanted but lost more than they could handle as a result. I think that's you and people like you taking people complaining and projecting on them a status as being those people in order to say "I told you so."

Take me, I want CaS and more single player content. I don't have my main, which is Amy. I'm still ecstatic that I'm getting more single player content. I'm bummed no Amy and downright depressed that the rumors are she'll be Viola from now on, but I appreciate that in order to get some things, compromises need to be made.

I'm more than happy to have more to do in the game than mindlessly fight the computer repetitively or compete online. It gives me more ways to play the game, practice in ways more exciting than repetitive contextless slugfest, and express myself creatively. These are all thing other fighters typically suck at, or don't even attempt to provide.

I believe this gives people more ways to play and learn the game and keep people interested. Especially as most people who buy the game aren't going to be elite badass hardcore online tournament junkies and need other things to do they enjoy after the potential frustration of getting their asses kicked over and over by hardcores.

Also there are a lot of creative people out there who love to create character's and such who get bored by pregens and want to use their own, but still like games of various types. While they can enjoy pregens, games that allow them to create their own character to play are what gets them truly excited and they are more likely to buy/flock to. This is a niche Soul Calibur now fills better than any other fighter of this type. I fall into this category myself. I'm a CaSaholic, and I like fighting casually with my friends. I am, however, not good enough to compete online, and get bored playing Arcade over and over. This is why I love the current changes. It makes the game more accessible to a broader range of players than other fighters do. It gives people like myself, and other types of casuals a game that allows them to enjoy a fighter even if they aren't the best, while still allowing for all the competitiveness of other fighters, even if it sacrifices a bit in terms of roster size.

I'm just having trouble believing the complainers are people like myself who wanted more single player content but lost their main, or don't get their second outfit for their characters. They all sound like hardcore online players that want the game to be nothing but an online slugfest with a huge roster and nothing else. They want 2p costumes cause they want variety that's one click so they can get to the action of fighting online with as minimal fuss as possible. They want their main over anything else because they want to win, and their main is who they play best and have grown an attachment to. These are the people complaining.

Last edited:
Right now my biggest concerns with the game is the RE mechanic
Indeed, let's talk about this.

From the point of view of someone who has been drowning in Twitch and YouTube videos of battles without having tried the actual game, Reversal Edge looks attractive, and it appears like it's not just all about luck.

What are your concerns?
I would also like to hear opinions from people who have fought intense matches while incorporating RE. What is your overall impression/judgement?

i'm gonna have to put hands on Keev for bodying Kayane like that. he looked like the community villain for this game.
That one guy that beat her in the evo tournament was a dush. He act like he won evo and pumping and shit in her face. The only person that act like that from what I seen, took it to seriously.

Indeed, let's talk about this.

From the point of view of someone who has been drowning in Twitch and YouTube videos of battles without having tried the actual game, Reversal Edge looks attractive, and it appears like it's not just all about luck.

What are your concerns?
I would also like to hear opinions from people who have fought intense matches while incorporating RE. What is your overall impression/judgement?
speaking as a viewer

I do think it looks cool but I understand it is a rock paper scissors mechanic. I don't think it will be a huge problem because it's not something that will win you a match if that's all you use, it could very well cost you a match. It will be attractive to casual players and a situational tool for competitive players.

Speaking as someone who has taught complete newbs how to play fighting games, and as someone who would like to see more complete newbs play SoulCalibur...

People who are just mashing buttons while at a party with friends might like it, because it looks cool. But the fact that it's a rock-paper-scissors game with SEVEN different choices is going to make people new to fighting games think one of two things.

1. It's all just luck. I guess I shouldn't take this game seriously.

2. There are 49 possible outcomes? And I need to know the match-up, my opponent, and all my possible follow-ups in order to know what button to press? Eh, maybe I'll just stick to random guessing. At least that way I'll be unpredictable.

The other problem is that RE is super effective against how new players approach the game. Side-stepping isn't their first instinct. They typically rush forward and attack (or throw if they know how). RE counters all of this. And RE counters RE. I saw button mashers at PAX doing it all the time. (If you don't have any meter, I think pressing A+B+G+K might read as B+G.) Adding to this: RE builds meter really well, so eventually players will mash out Critical Edges as well. Those ALSO look super cool and beat lots of attacks. So it's almost as if the game (at low levels) is designed to be a series of RE clashes and Critical Edges, mixed with brief interludes of SoulCalibur.

Basically, I think RE makes the game flashier, but far less friendly to players who want to learn how to play fighting games and get better.

soul calibur took inspiration for samurai shodown

you can see the clearly reference in

MITSURUGI - HAOMARU
RAPHAEL - CHARLOTTE
SHIZUMARU - SETSUKA

Back