Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Bandai Namco needs to pull some magic out of their ass if they want this to be successful like exciting future content shortly after the game releases.

This is exactly why lately i've been thinking they should just roll out with three guests. It isn't a popular opinion here but we should all admit doing so would definitely get the job done. At least better than any other magic they could possibly pull out of their ass.

Content aside, I think it would be wise for more publishers to explore game releases at lower prices in general. Activision did it with the Crash remake trilogy last year, and is doing it again with Spyro later this year. So did Insomniac with the Ratchet and Clank reimagining in 2016. Each game launched with a $40 price tag, and they didn't even have DLC (except for one level in Crash, which was free).

Mind, these aren't basic ports or even remasters, but ground-up remakes, two of them being remakes of 3 games. It seems to have worked out very very well in the two cases that are already out, and the third shows promise.

The lower price-point at launch is a lot more inviting to people with a passing interest or those who would be on the fence otherwise. It makes season passes seem more reasonable, and players may justify paying for a pass with the money they would have otherwise spent on a full $60 game.

Last edited:
Content aside, I think it would be wise for more publishers to explore game releases at lower prices in general. Activision did it with the Crash remake trilogy last year, and is doing it again with Spyro later this year. So did Insomniac with the Ratchet and Clank reimagining in 2016. Each game launched with a $40 price tag, and they didn't even have DLC (except for one level in Crash, which was free).

Mind, these aren't basic ports or even remasters, but ground-up remakes, two of them being remakes of 3 games. It seems to have worked out very very well in the two cases that are already out, and the third shows promise.

The lower price-point at launch is a lot more inviting to people with a passing interest or those who would be on the fence otherwise. It makes season passes seem more reasonable, and players may justify paying for a pass with the money they would have otherwise spent on a full $60 game.

It's kind of justifiable to an extent for fighting games and others that have server costs to consider also but yeah, more expensive to develop = higher selling price. Gotta wonder what the markup on things is though - Esp with the examples you provided.
I also believe digital products should be reduced in price compared to physical ones but that's a whole other discussion I ain't gonna be taking part in beyond this ;)

It's kind of justifiable to an extent for fighting games and others that have server costs to consider also but yeah, more expensive to develop = higher selling price. Gotta wonder what the markup on things is though - Esp with the examples you provided.
I also believe digital products should be reduced in price compared to physical ones but that's a whole other discussion I ain't gonna be taking part in beyond this ;)
Actually, on that topic, wasn't T7 $50 on PC instead of $60? Why didn't SCVI do the same?

Anemic content my ass. There is nothing anemic about this game. It's fat as hell with content. The only way it's anemic is if the only content you care about is roster size as CaS more than covers the obscene 2p outfit complaint. This game is probably the fattest single player content fighter out there. Which makes it fill a special niche the others fail at terribly. I mean seriously you're calling a game with as much text as an rpg with an in debth character creator and a full story for every character anemic?

The game is made to appeal to a lot if people including those who want more to do than compete online or spam arcade mode over and over. Supplying that in exchange for a slightly smaller roster or missing out on your favorite character does not make it anemic.

Is there any need for the outright hostilities towards me because I made an observation? The price point in comparision to it's content is a valid one, the deluxe edition is one of the most expensive games on the PS store right now and if a customer was looking for value for money this October then SC6 has got a ton of competition. I made the suggestion that the price should be dropped to make it more appealling to purchase, up to you take that on board or not.

Calling it anemic is a bit extreme. There's enough hostility towards this game as is. I think the game sounds amazing and am just plain getting sick of all the negativity towards this game. I want it to succeed and it's not going to do that if the games own community shoots it in the foot by badmouthing it unjustly all over the place.

As for lowering the price as a marketting strategy. Sure I can be on board with that. Doesn't make the game anywhere near being anemic, nor worthy of being called such. My hostility is more towards the angsty bs lobbed unjustly at this game continuously than it is you in particular.

There is definitely no shortage of content here. I dont think anyone should debate that point. We may not all agree on what exactly should be the focus but i do believe Okubo when he said this was the most content packed SC ever done. Or at least i think he said something like that.
My only gripe with what we have seen so far is the roster stuff... if those spots are there for DLC I think it's gonna look really bad and I just don't want that to taint the revival of the series.

Everything else looks really promising and it does seem like a much more feature complete game than 4 and 5 even if the roster is small and the DLC stuff is true.

I am curious, for the ppl who did try out soul calibur 6, did they nerfed the wall hits from 2 to 1? I remember on sc4 and sc5 you can get 2 wall hit to do more combo damages and while on sc6 I saw only 1 wall hit. Can someone confirm that for me please and thank you

My only gripe with what we have seen so far is the roster stuff... if those spots are there for DLC I think it's gonna look really bad and I just don't want that to taint the revival of the series.

Everything else looks really promising and it does seem like a much more feature complete game than 4 and 5 even if the roster is small and the DLC stuff is true.
Here's the thing, characters can be added, while full game modes are much harder to add later. You need a good base first. So far Tira will get added story upon purchase. This might be true for future DLC characters as well. These characters might come with their own CaS equipment, stories, and in some cases possibly stages etc. These extra modes could give people more entertaining ways to practice and explore new play styles. Short term the roster thing might hurt, but long term I think this was the right decision. If we didn't get these modes now, we wouldn't get them at all, and I think that would hurt the game more. A lot of Soul Calibur's fans like more than just arcade and online. It's one of the few games that has really tried to fill that niche. I think that's where it has the most chance to shine and stand out. It fills a special niche. If it was just an Arcade and Online heavy game with a large roster it would be no different than any other fighter. Which means direct competition. This way it's competing with other fighters, but also not doing so by picking up entire groups of people other fighters ignore.

Here's the thing, characters can be added, while full game modes are much harder to add later. You need a good base first. So far Tira will get added story upon purchase. This might be true for future DLC characters as well. These characters might come with their own CaS equipment, stories, and in some cases possibly stages etc. These extra modes could give people more entertaining ways to practice and explore new play styles. Short term the roster thing might hurt, but long term I think this was the right decision. If we didn't get these modes now, we wouldn't get them at all, and I think that would hurt the game more. A lot of Soul Calibur's fans like more than just arcade and online. It's one of the few games that has really tried to fill that niche. I think that's where it has the most chance to shine and stand out. It fills a special niche. If it was just an Arcade and Online heavy game with a large roster it would be no different than any other fighter. Which means direct competition. This way it's competing with other fighters, but also not doing so by picking up entire groups of people other fighters ignore.
I completely agree

I just really dislike that we can't have a SC revival without controversy. Seeing all the people say they won't buy it cause of just Tira is kinda getting to me and if they reveal the next DLC characters before release and have the spots on the roster it's gonna piss off way more people. I want the game to do well but my pessimistic nature keeps making me think it will fail and SC will die for good this time... or for at least 10 years or something. I just wish bamco wasn't so scummy. :/

I completely agree

I just really dislike that we can't have a SC revival without controversy. Seeing all the people say they won't buy it cause of just Tira is kinda getting to me and if they reveal the next DLC characters before release and have the spots on the roster it's gonna piss off way more people. I want the game to do well but my pessimistic nature keeps making me think it will fail and SC will die for good this time... or for at least 10 years or something. I just wish bamco wasn't so scummy. :/
I'm trying my hardest to fight the pessimism, as it doesn't really help. Negativity spreads negativity where as positivity spreads positivity. We need to believe in the game and clap or it will die as surely as a fairy who's existence is rejected.

Now I am feeling very happy, because this last weekend I teach to two of my most close friends to play Soulcalibur 3, and now they will buy SC VI. They have very little knowledge about the game, but when I show them the basics they really enjoyed playing, and, surprisingly for me they really love it.
That's my way to spread the word and the love for this beautiful masterpiece named Soulcalibur.
The Soul will burn forever.

but i do believe Okubo when he said this was the most content packed SC ever done.
yep he said it in an interview, but he may have overestimated what he is bringing to the table, we all know that to be able to say that you need to have more content than SC3 to be called " the most packed SC ever " in that regard, it could also just have been PR talk but who knows.( just making an observation guys don't start throwing rocks at me pls)

People here dont even agree on what exactly those open spaces are and weather or not there are additional characters to reveal. There is, at the very least, still Inferno to consider and a possible bonus character slot as well. We're going to have to be patient and wait to see the final results.

Maybe by content it meant gameplay wise and not just aescetics?

I'm sure he meant everything. Anything that entails work for the PS team.

yep he said it in an interview, but he may have overestimated what he is bringing to the table, we all know that to be able to say that you need to have more content than SC3 to be called " the most packed SC ever " in that regard, it could also just have been PR talk but who knows.( just making an observation guys don't start throwing rocks at me pls)

Ok now remember... SC3 had no online features to speak of. Not throwin rocks here, just sayin.

Back