Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I missed Siegfried :( First thing I am gonna do is play with every character on vs cpu then jump to story mode ! After that Libra of Souls !

I have a bad feeling that the stage that we see wizard lizard fighting in is just the battle testing stage which sucks because it looks pretty and has some walls and we need more stages with walls :(

Hello everybody!

SoulCalibur has a special place in my heart for his storyline. That's why I wanted to do, at least one time, a content to tale his Prologue and give our thoughts about the thematics that we can see in it.

Here is the link :

I hope you will enjoy, in anycase if you liked and wanted to see more of this type of content, you can tell me !

I wish you all to enjoy the game when it will be release, see you later for more contents in my YouTube channel or my Twitch channel !

Hello everybody!

SoulCalibur has a special place in my heart for his storyline. That's why I wanted to do, at least one time, a content to tale his Prologue and give our thoughts about the thematics that we can see in it.

Here is the link :

I hope you will enjoy, in anycase if you liked and wanted to see more of this type of content, you can tell me !

I wish you all to enjoy the game when it will be release, see you later for more contents in my YouTube channel or my Twitch channel !

Seeing that first drum note from the original Soul Edge opening got my heart pounding, man. I would love it if they even included this original intro (and perhaps even the original SCI intro) as an easter egg on the title screen of SCVI.

So I just played Harada Tekken in SCV, man, that battle is hard! Couldn't beat him. I wonder if SCVI will have secrets like this one.

I'm surprised there aren't more people talking about the suspicious new gameplay that surfaced this morning from Bamco Latin America. The absence of Azwel was brought up briefly, but there is plenty more going on in the video. The build they show differs significantly from the beta and everything else we've seen so far.
In the video we see a new CSS:
final select screen.png

Obviously the first thing to note here is the absence of Azwel, whose place is occupied by one of the mysterious white circles. This lends credence to the idea that the circles represent unlockables and not DLC (though I could see them serving both purposes). Sadly the player cameras cover the bottom of the screen, so we cannot see whether those two small circles are still at the corners.

Interestingly, the character slots are now grayed out while the cursor is not on them—a design choice abandoned in the E3 build. For reference, here's the CSS from most recent press build:
press select screen.png
The stage selection screen is also quite different from what we've been seeing:
final stage select.png

Why are do so many stages lack their screenshots? This seems like a rather odd thing to remove. The characters are also not shown in the background here.

Stages without a proper screenshot have a curious placeholder: the coliseum from SCV. The stage they chose here was Kunpaetku Shrine, but they all have this same image.
final vs screen no chars.png

Upon closer inspection, it also looks like the positions of the stages have been rearranged. Here's the arrangement from the older builds:
press stage select.png
It's hard to tell because of the low-quality recording, but they've done something with the lighting and the textures. It's very subtle so you'll probably miss it if you're not paying attention, but something about Taki's face looked odd to me so I started to do some comparisons. You can see the new build to the left, and the older version to the right:
taki select.png
taki1.png
taki2.png

Taki's face looks different, with deeper shadows around her eyes. There also appears to be a general reduction of shadow contrast. Hair rendering also seems improved, but again that could just be the low-resolution recording.

Also Taki's protruding nipples have been nerfed pretty hard.
The lifebars at 100% health are now violet!
lifebars.png

At first I thought it was an optical illusion resulting from the poor white-balance of the recording, but nope! All the other colors remain identical, it's just the 100% health color that is now different. I played around with the brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation of these screenshots to match the deep blue we've been seeing since the E3 build, but I couldn't do it without massively distorting the image.
Overall, it looks like the UI in this official namco stream is substantially different from what we've seen in the press builds and in the online beta.

So what does all of this mean? I think we might be seeing the final build of the game on the disc, before the day-1 patch. I can't see them dramatically changing the UI and upgrading the graphics two weeks before release for a simple press build. It makes more sense that this official namco subsidiary had a copy of the final game and decided to stream some matches for promotional purposes. Since we know there will be a day-1 patch, adding missing stage screenshots could be among the things it fixes.

@Sectus proposed it might be an older build, but that's inconsistent with the upgraded graphics and the presence of two characters announced after Azwel. It just seems implausible to me that a pre-release press build was developed, never seen, and replaced with a different build which removed all the graphical improvements of the previous one. It makes more sense that the Azwel build was sent out to press outlets before the implementation of these final touches, and the game was later finalized and printed onto the discs. As @Frayhua pointed out in the roster thread, a closed press build with at least Astaroth's stage has been around since NVIDIA's video in June. That could very well have been the build we've seen this past month. The strange situation with the stages is the only thing that puts this timeline in question, but that doesn't particularly favor one explanation over the other.

Regardless, the main takeway here is that at least some of the small white circles are empty slots for unlockable characters. Get hype?

Last edited:
Back