Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Speaking of Japan I've heard some recent trivia about it in relation to Soul Calibur. Apparently it's viewed as a old mans game over there. :P The recent Singapore tournament had a commentator bring light to that.

Speaking of Japan I've heard some recent trivia about it in relation to Soul Calibur. Apparently it's viewed as a old mans game over there. :P The recent Singapore tournament had a commentator bring light to that.

In that context, it makes more sense why they cut a bunch of characters in V and replaced them with new ones. They might have thought that it would more likely bring in a new generation of fans.

In that context, it makes more sense why they cut a bunch of characters in V and replaced them with new ones. They might have thought that it would more likely bring in a new generation of fans.

Yeah, SC5 was clearly their attempt at pulling in japanese players. I always felt that way in that they tried to make the game more "technical", by adding meter and more complicated inputs and such.

Simultaneously pissing off everyone else however is not the answer. Despite the fact i believe SC5 did some things right.

You know I think you're right, it makes the most sense however the risk to grab a younger Japanese audience didn't pay off.

Yeah, SC5 was clearly their attempt at pulling in japanese players. I always felt that way in that they tried to make the game more "technical", by adding meter and more complicated inputs and such.

Simultaneously pissing off everyone else however is not the answer. Despite the fact i believe SC5 did some things right.
I thought SC5 was a decent game despite it’s issues. Granted every game in the series has it’s issues.

It would be hilarious if one day say 2050 when i'm an old fart, there's a new soul calibur 12 or something.

At what point do you say, enough is enough? At that point my reactions would be shit anyway and I'd have arthritis in both hands probably.

Maybe instead of controllers they have a helmet with electrodes that read your mind and know what move you want to do. No execution just thought-calibur.

In all seriousness, the series will end at some point, regardless of how many sales the game makes. I'm ok with sc6 being the last game, at least we have a proper SC title on the new consoles. Besides, I could teach my grand kids how to play an archaic fighting game in 2050 ( if my console still works lol).

Its never been successful in japan though and i think that is primarily why they didnt care about it.

Things seem different now. They appear to be more directly involved globally and connected with the community through social media.
I agree man well said. Glad the game is selling well. And here we go again with the "woe negativity on this thread."

You know I think you're right, it makes the most sense however the risk to grab a younger Japanese audience didn't pay off.
I mean, the attempt wasn't a total failure. SC5 was the most successful SC game in Japan since SC2. That's not to say it was a huge success, but it still did a ton to revive competitive SC over there.

I think the future of the Soul series is dependent on how well SC is supported by the competitive community.

I wonder why specifically SC is seen as an old man's game. Some popular fighting games in Japan (like Tekken and Street Fighter) have been using the same (or extremely similar) mechanics and characters for an extremely long time.

I wonder why specifically SC is seen as an old man's game. Some popular fighting games in Japan (like Tekken and Street Fighter) have been using the same (or extremely similar) mechanics and characters for an extremely long time.

Hmmm i dont know. Streetfighter has changed quite a bit looking back at the Alpha series, then on to 3rd Strike and 4.

Tekken has a lot of new characters. Not sure how much gameplay has evolved honestly.

I'm guessing Soulcalibur may have been a lot more appealing from the get-go had the roster been more heavily comprised of samurai and ninja instead of knights, pirates and barbarians.

Although i'd probably enjoy it far less.

Tekken and Street Fighter are probably viewed as old man games as well, we are dealing with franchises that are between 20 to 30 years old. Also I don't think Tekken or Street Fighter are popular in Japan, it's more South Korea for Tekken and America for Street Fighter where they have the largest core base.

Tekken and Street Fighter are probably viewed as old man games as well, we are dealing with franchises that are between 20 to 30 years old. Also I don't think Tekken or Street Fighter are popular in Japan, it's more South Korea for Tekken and America for Street Fighter where they have the largest core base.

Can't say I know casual sales, but Japan has always been a huge part of the competitive side of Street Fighter. Japan's side of sales are mostly based on arcade/cabinets, and aside from SFV being a disaster at launch, it also didn't have a cabinet until this year. So it did worse in Japan due to that.

What else do they play though? Only things i know about are SNK games, Blazeblue, Guilty Gear and Dragonball... i doubt many of them play DOA.

No one asks to keep scrubby pity parties behind closed doors but okay lol

Glitches and inconsistencies should be fixed though. I got hit with a Yoshi unblockable last night and the sword never touched me lol

Is it because of their CaS's height? Is it because I did 1A+B? Who knows.

You got hit because the unblockable is from the tip of the blade to the end of the hilt, you can see the hit spark is in line with the aura of the blade. It basically tapped your head.

Yamu.png

Can't say I know casual sales, but Japan has always been a huge part of the competitive side of Street Fighter. Japan's side of sales are mostly based on arcade/cabinets, and aside from SFV being a disaster at launch, it also didn't have a cabinet until this year. So it did worse in Japan due to that.

You've got to keep in mind that SF4 only got the anticipation it did because the game had been on a long hiatus with fan requests to bring it back unlike Soul Calibur and Tekken which have been released consistently though the years. IIRC Street Fighter was really flagging around late 90's which was partly the result of SF3 dropping popular characters, hence why SF4 went back to an earlier time period.

What else do they play though? Only things i know about are SNK games, Blazeblue, Guilty Gear and Dragonball... i doubt many of them play DOA.

Personally I don't think the majority of people today have any interest in fighting games like they did in the 90's and quite frankly we've been kinda lucky with the resurgence we've had over the past decade.

Any Astaroth players have opinions on him? I struggled when fighting against him in SCV. But now, he's either absolute trash, or I've yet to fight a decent one. Even one with a higher rank, I've been able to beat with ease.

Grab break is easier, but I barely see them land a grab in the first place.

For the year thus far it said #5 on PS and #9 on Xbox. I'd say that is good enough proof the game is doing well. More so than looking just at Oct.
Oh yeah I just read more of it, best selling games of the year not month. For ps4 its between Spiderman and the sports games. So its what ever number between those 2 games. Still wanna know the actual total number overall. They need to give out a statement or something.

Back