Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

Personally I don't think the majority of people today have any interest in fighting games like they did in the 90's and quite frankly we've been kinda lucky with the resurgence we've had over the past decade.

Oh i know that. I meant what do they play in japan just as far as fighting games.

I think youtube and twitch are largely responsible for digging it back up. It took a back seat when online shooters began to pick up, then mobas and battle royales. But after a while people definitely get tired of that just like everything else and start remembering that fighting games were a thing from a long time ago.

I used to think this genre might be dead soon but lately, i think people realize there really isnt other options for 1v1 duels. Sports games, RTS and card games are the only other choices i can think of. Granted usually we can select 1v1 options in just about any team multiplayer game but those are not designed from the ground up for 1v1. So that means the experience will always feel stale and shallow by comparison.

Bottom line here is, if you want a truley rewarding and challenging duel experience with yourself and 1 other player, you kind of have to play fighting games.

You got hit because the unblockable is from the tip of the blade to the end of the hilt, you can see the hit spark is in line with the aura of the blade. It basically tapped your head.

View attachment 55356

You've got to keep in mind that SF4 only got the anticipation it did because the game had been on a long hiatus with fan requests to bring it back unlike Soul Calibur and Tekken which have been released consistently though the years. IIRC Street Fighter was really flagging around late 90's which was partly the result of SF3 dropping popular characters, hence why SF4 went back to an earlier time period.

Personally I don't think the majority of people today have any interest in fighting games like they did in the 90's and quite frankly we've been kinda lucky with the resurgence we've had over the past decade.
I'm lost. What is the point of having two different versions if you can still hit from the front?

Oh i know that. I meant what do they play in japan just as far as fighting games.

I think youtube and twitch are largely responsible for digging it back up. It took a back seat when online shooters began to pick up, then mobas and battle royales. But after a while people definitely get tired of that just like everything else and start remembering that fighting games were a thing from a long time ago.

I used to think this genre might be dead soon but lately, i think people realize there really isnt other options for 1v1 duels. Sports games, RTS and card games are the only other choices i can think of. Granted usually we can select 1v1 options in just about any team multiplayer game but those are not designed from the ground up for 1v1. So that means the experience will always feel stale and shallow by comparison.

Bottom line here is, if you want a truley rewarding and challenging duel experience with yourself and 1 other player, you kind of have to play fighting games.
Chess is very exciting and tense at the high level of play.

Chess is very exciting and tense at the high level of play.

I used to lose everytime i played that until i started making all of my moves with the intention of threatening more than one piece at a time. I wouldn't say that made me good by any standard but i did start winning matches against players i otherwise wouldn't be.

And that is the extent of my chess-pertise.

Generally launches, knockdowns, lows, grabs, and I believe I've seen mention of moves that do at or above a certain amount of damage, can all kill his armor. Break attacks and unblockables also work. Low, break attack, unblockable, grab, and sidestep are all effective for making his CE irrelevant as well. Granted, if he catches you doing something simple and weak like A,A or B,B in most cases, or armors something with slow enough recovery with his CE then obviously you're going to get hit. Bonus fun answer to his CE for Tira is 7_8_9B+K,A_B_K can get you some distance behind him. Raw 8_9B+K gets you behind him and may leave time for a back grab, but I haven't bothered trying that yet. Could definitely work for back turned options after his animation's over, at least in Jolly if not both.

Have you tried abusing lows? Its obviously not a great answer but if i'm not mistaken, that gets around his revenge bullshit.
Yup. It seriously messes him up. Mitsu's 2A and 2aB Mixup screws nightmare so hard. Anyone with a fast knockdown low has a good chance too.
Generally launches, knockdowns, lows, grabs, and I believe I've seen mention of moves that do at or above a certain amount of damage, can all kill his armor. Break attacks and unblockables also work. Low, break attack, unblockable, grab, and sidestep are all effective for making his CE irrelevant as well. Granted, if he catches you doing something simple and weak like A,A or B,B in most cases, or armors something with slow enough recovery with his CE then obviously you're going to get hit. Bonus fun answer to his CE for Tira is 7_8_9B+K,A_B_K can get you some distance behind him. Raw 8_9B+K gets you behind him and may leave time for a back grab, but I haven't bothered trying that yet. Could definitely work for back turned options after his animation's over, at least in Jolly if not both.

All great advice guys, I'll start putting that into practice. I'm maining Cervantes and finding his speed and damage are the main issue. I put up a pretty good fight and almost always go 5 rounds but almost always lose at the end of the day. He is literally the opponent that makes me mad to fight against.

Also I don't think Tekken or Street Fighter are popular in Japan
I can assure you that SF and Tekken are the two most popular fighting games in Japan. (Source: I lived there for a couple years, visiting dozens or arcades.) But that said, fighting games are still a niche genre.

my experience with him is if you get in one of his combos be prepared to lose a HUGE chunk of your life, tbh i get scared when ever i face a Cervantes.

This exactly. At first glance I thought he was pretty slow too and I will admit you have to be kind of patient with him, but once you find an opening it's an opportunity for some huge damage especially since some of his best combos can be followed up with his CE. There's also a lot of mental game involved with him as well because he can create space one second and be back on top of you the next.

I lose pretty bad to other Cervantes players when I run into them, but it's not as frustrating as fighting a Nightmare because at least I'm learning from people using the same style.

Back