Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

The message behind the outfit might be important but when it escalates to the point that no one is allowed to dislike it, that is too extreme.

Misrepresentation of what I said and you know it. I stated multiple times I completely understand why someone would not like it even if they understood the context. The problem is people are ignoring facts (it's a fact that context is relevant to the outfit) and brushing it off just because of immediate dislike.

Also, some of you guys liking posts that are like "it's just fan service lol" haven't even played the game. Where do ya'll get off, lol.

Misrepresentation of what I said and you know it. I stated multiple times I completely understand why someone would not like it even if they understood the context. The problem is people are ignoring facts (it's a fact that context is relevant to the outfit) and brushing it off just because of immediate dislike.

Also, some of you guys liking posts that are like "it's just fan service lol" haven't even played the game. Where do ya'll get off, lol.
Can you explain? I kinda get Ivy's outfit, her being having a dominanting, in incontrol type play style, but what does kaine's outfit symbolise?

I'm failing to see the issue here. If someone doesn't like the outfit then that's fine, they can just not use it. It seems to be a nice little extra for the Nier fans and I don't see the problem with it when it has a backstory behind it and we have characters like Ivy, Taki, and Voldo running around.

It's DLC, extra content, you can easily not buy it or ignore it and wait and see what the 100 CAS pieces will provide.

This game already has a lot of revealing underwear as it is. I bet when it comes out, it's gonna be amazing playing online. Can't wait to see all those Talims with their butts out. Also it's part of the sp so I paid for it, twice, so I'm a bit salty about that. It sucks really hard since there isn't many creation options as it is,

Buying a season pass always involves the risk of paying for content you won't like. My wife and I each took the same risk on SC6, in part to show support for the series (and specifically its release on PC).

As for the Kaine outfit -- I'm not really a fan, but that's just my personal taste. I'm not against revealing outfits as a whole, I just don't care for this particular one. I have no interest in the game/character it's based on either, so there's no emotional attachment to its symbolism for me.

<shrug> People are different.

I'm failing to see the issue here. If someone doesn't like the outfit then that's fine, they can just not use it. It seems to be a nice little extra for the Nier fans and I don't see the problem with it when it has a backstory behind it and we have characters like Ivy, Taki, and Voldo running around.

It's DLC, extra content, you can easily not buy it or ignore it and wait and see what the 100 CAS pieces will provide.

The thing about playing fighting games is we dont get to select what our opponent does or how they play. It makes this quite different than DLC for some other games.

but you can't make a hermaphrodite in SC6 so all that goes out of the window. it's just a nightgown from a sex shop

That is i feel the most significant point behind this. It wont be Kaine wearing the outfit. It'll be Sophitia or whoever and i doubt the crotch area will come with a bulge, so the context is gone.

I'm not even against sexy outfits. I do like fanservicy stuff to an extent but with the options being as low as it is, i just feel we have plenty of it already.

I suppose i can understand some frustration on it for Nier fans because they're saying "but this one actually has a point". I think that point is kind of lost in Soulcalibur though.

It kinda reminds me of "Why Quiet from MGS was dressed up as she was". Personally I don't give a damn I can take any fanservice they throw at me but it's always amusing how sometimes there is a "deeper reason" for it.
Personally I am more concerned about how long it takes for us to even get the release date for the DLC so long after its announcement.

How about we all just say let’s agree to disagree on the outfit and leave it at that, regardless of everyone’s opinions towards it and if it’s stand as a symbol for something or just fan service to bring to SC. You like it, go ahead and put it on whoever you play. If not, then don’t bother with it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; If you have played the original Nier and know of the context of that outfit, it ceases to be ugly and instead radiates an inspiring symbolism for people who aren't bigots. Of course you could still find it ugly, but the symbolism still remains =P
Kaine best girl.

I have no interest in the game I just think the outfit is ugly.

What makes her last-round-4BA trickier than her normal 4BA? Do you mean in SC?
Or the combination with CE or what do you mean?
It’s a really good punish.
Even if you manage to just Guard it in time possession gives her decent options.
If I don’t know the players go to I usually end up making a bad decision and get caught slippin.

I’ve even started trying her out myself and those kind of options always bring me back from the brink.

Played 2 matches and turned the game off lol. I don’t think this game understands what balancing means. The reach and strength.. *cough* nightmare mina. Just gonna wait for some more balance or dlc before i start playing again. I feel kind of stupid for getting the season pass but i’m a big fan of the series and also wanted to support but it’s online that irks me so much. Still excited about dlc which will make me play more I hope
If you're basing this off two measly matches you need to evaluate your evaluations. Ironically though, you're actually correct. The long range-ers in this game get too much too easy.

the line separating projecting feminine confidence and trashy fan service with a reason made up post design approval has been crossed a long time ago with this particular design. it's hilarious that just because there is some story attached to it, people will try to make up excuses for what is blatantly fan service. being proud of your femininity and expressing it by wearing underwear to battle? get a grip. obviously this design was made before it was even decided to make her a hermaphrodite. It is fetishized and overworked to the point that it was probably the designers fantasy fetish for a long time before they started working on the game.

Some Nier Gestalt/Automata spoliers

Kaine's design always struck me as "chaotic," not just feminine or sexy. Then again EVERYTHING about the character is chaotic, from how she talks, how she looks, the way she fights, etc,. If this was like xenoblade chronicles 2, where virtually every character was provocative, i'd get some people's points, but she's the only character in both Nier games that dresses like this. Neither Devola, Popola, or 2B have that extreme of a design. The only person remotely close would be A2, but her look is rugged from being a fugitive that was left for dead.

I've heard this argument of "she just looks that way bcuz of fan service," to be valid in cases like MGSV and Xenoblade 2. I don't think that's the best way to approach every feminine design, though. I would even say that approach is somewhat sexist.

Can you explain? I kinda get Ivy's outfit, her being having a dominanting, in incontrol type play style, but what does kaine's outfit symbolise?

Part of the reason why she dresses like that isn't just "to express her femininity." She's a character born from extremes. The people in the town she came from were either cowards or psychopaths. The girl gets assaulted by other children and adults treat her like an outcast, just because she was intersex. The only person that cared about her was her grandmother, but even then she swears like a sailor and roughs her up everyday (this is actually where her personality came from). Then after grandma is crushed to death by a giant monster (something she witnesses btw,) Kaine gets possessed by a male entity that fills her head with killing. With all that in mind, if she wants to identify as a female, after having her gender questioned, it wouldn't be a stretch to think she would come up with the most extreme way possible to express that. I'm not saying it's a good design or that it was needed, but it's VERY plausible, given the character's history. She's also the only character in the Nier series who could pull this look off canonically. If Popola and Devola dressed like that without any context, it'd look fucking weird and, tbh, it doesn't suit 2B at all.

So basically

KAINE DID NOTHING WRONG

In terms of SoulCalibur, the closet character I could compare her to wouldn't be Ivy, but Tira. She's another character with both a chaotic/sexual design and background. Project Soul emphasized this by giving her two personalities.

this game already has enough revealing underwear. I wanna make cool looking fighters, not victoria's secret models. worst part about this is that we probably won't be able to put anything on top of this, because it's gonna clip horrendously. and every second match online is gonna wear this, if people are still playing by then, that is...

To be fair, it's a japanese fighting game, you're going to get victoria secret models. People love to bring up Dead or Alive, but even Tekken, Streetfighter, BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, and others have characters with those designs. I would suggest not taking designs from these fighting games so seriously. How the outfit meshes with others, I don't know. I'm willing to take any new CaS parts at this point

That's my 2 cents, now where's the damn dlc Project Soul?

Last edited:
Lack of info is getting rather stupid at this point. 2B was announced with a trailer still in October and we had a gameplay demonstration within the first week of November. Still no word on her release date? Really? Of course also no word on who the other two characters even are or either of those equipment packs.

This obviously isnt just about them still working on it or not. Cant they set a deadline and meet it if they managed to release the base game on time? Why the secrecy? Trying to drag out the hype to this point is getting very annoying.

So yeah, I started using Seong-Mina yesterday as stated. Got basically no experience with her, but got her move-set down. I'm dishing out the same basic long range combos as every other Seong is spammin', with careful timing, and I'm winning probably 80% of all encounters. Some of them are like 15000+ on ranked. I'm loving this experiment.

Or you're playing shitty people. RP doesn't indicate anything other than how much time you spent playing.

Also why complain about the gameplan? She's meant to be played like that to a point.

Folks gained bad habits from resting on their laurels and beating bad players. Once you consistently dodge 1B, Online ranked Mi-Na players don't know what to do.

They aren't trying to work the guard gauge into the red either.

Back