Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

The visual spectacle of the CE's is nice and all, but the post CE-win dialogue just adds more waiting time. I might be inpatient but damn, when you play as many rounds as you do and have to watch these damn animations PLUS the talking afterwards... Lawdamercy.

You're so damn lucky, literally every match in ranked has been 2B with an occasional rando. She's fun to mash with I can't lie.
At the same time I’m not since I can’t find a decent 2B user to actually test my stuff against in a real situation.

What other stage do the rest of you think we’re going to get?

As I’m sure we can expect one more.

I have my fingers crossed on a Jyurakudai style villa with a possible Setsuka to boot.

I have my fingers crossed on a Jyurakudai style villa with a possible Setsuka to boot.
IIRC someone claimed that the game's files have references to a cut stage, but I can't remember who said it. Was it Sectus? It was probably Sectus.

Anyways, it would be interesting to see this cut stage come back as DLC. Maybe it was the Japanese castle from SC1, and that's where the announcement trailer music was going to be used before the stage got scrapped? [end speculation]

EDIT: So I did some digging in this thread, and yeah, it was Sectus who found the cut stage references. Here's what he said:
No references to any more stages besides 2B's stage. Either Amy and Cassandra will not have their own stages, or they haven't started working on them yet. My bet is on the former. (That said, there are references to what seems like a cut stage from making the main game.)

I'd be all for a new Jyurakudai seasonal/light cycle variation, but I'm afraid that's another expectation we'd have to classify under "never going to happen". Setsuka is just not in the cards for season two; at this point it is all but certain that if there is a second season pass, it's likely to be all-male as a counterpoint to the first all-female season--it just can't be incidental that the first season pass came out leaning entirely female without some marketing angle behind, and it's left a number of glaring holes with regard to characters from the story arc of the first three (SE-SCII) games. Setsuka having been introduced in SCIII and being a female character I would say puts her far outside the likely picks for season 2; her (small but extremely dedicated) fanbase is going to have to hope for that unlikely season 3 if they are to have a realistic chance of seeing her in SCVI.

Additionally, even if Setsuka were to somehow sneak in, its unlikely she would get her own stage. Only three legacy stages made it into SCVI, and no more have appeared in the first season pass, which introduced only a guest character's stage. I think the fact that the stage select screen has not been re-balanced to make it symmetrical with the addition of 2B's stage is another in a long list of clues that there will in fact be a second season pass, but I suspect that spot will be taken by another guest character's stage. That's far from a certainty, but every single additional clue that we get with regard to a potetial season pass 2 makes it look more and more likely that it will parallel the first one: four new characters (3 returning cast, 1 guest, all of them male), a stage associated with the guest, and 100 CaS items, a package which can then be marketed at the exact same price point as the first, so that there is no whinging about one being a better deal than the other and there is a predicable model for revenue and promotion, something the marketing arm of Namco, as the publisher, would like. There may be some variance from that general pattern, but I don't think they are going to do something as inconsistent as throw in just one random legacy stage from among dozens; there's just too many factors arguing against it.

It doesn't seem like Cassandra would get her own stage, considering she's only also at Eurydice Shrine, but Amy getting the training room inside Dumas's mansion would make a lot of sense for our last stage. If we don't get one more stage, though, the selection screen will be eternally off-balance.

I think the fact that it was left off balance is quite possibly (though by no means certainly) an indication that there is at least one stage under consideration or development at this point. The question is whether this would be a DLC season 2 stage (in which case, I think it's likely to be a guest's for reasons discussed above) or a previously unannounced freebie which Namco is planning on adding for free. That would be a pretty big thing to develop and not announce and then hold back for the general player, but I noticed a small handful of CaS items were added in the latest patch, so I guess it can't be dismissed entirely. In the abstract, I really like your idea of a training room in a antique mansion, not unlike the stages that have been ambiguously Ivy's or Raphael's in past games. If you didn't release it with the DLC packages, it wouldn't seem like it was Amy's per se, but rather a cluster of characters. Which seems appropriate, as this is how most of the stage selection works now, and has typically worked in most entries since the first game. Plus fanboys would get butt-hurt if it seemed like some DLC characters, in addition to guests, got a solo stage and not others). But...

I'm surprised Money Pit still isn't in, despite the concept shots.

...I actually think Bokuho is on the right trail here though (if there is a legacy/inspired map as a previously unannounced freebie): the Money Pit is super iconic (though, ironically one of the few surviving Soul Edge maps that is connected more strongly to one character in particular and has continued to do so in subsequent entries). Learning that it was already in development at some point, I'd say if there's a freebie, you gotta think it would be that. Certainly they wouldn't make it a separate micro-transaction of content they had chosen to deliver and market while the season pass content is less than half done/released--there would be a furor about that. And they could make it a freebie for DLC holders only, but I think the cost-benefit return is higher by spreading that good will around more generally, since the DLC already has an established content summary and pricepoint in the market place.

All things considered though, my money is on either a) the stage is for an anticipated season pass 2 guest character, or b) they just forgot they needed to re-balance that menu in the run-up to the patch and left it as is. But in fairness, it's impossible to rule any of the three scenarios out entirely.

Last edited:
Well, speaking from personal experiences, can't say I'm finding real issue with 2B. I was pretty quickly able to find ways to fight her with the characters I like, and some I don't when picking random in open lobbies. Ranked hasn't been an issue either with her. Fun when they like to over-use her... I believe it's Aggressive Rush stance that lets her dash either back or forward mid-combo? The way I see people use it tends to be as easy to take advantage of as when some Nightmare's overuse the repeated Grim Stride B. Feels like depending on what they do, it leaves about the same window of opportunity, albeit requiring a little guessing. If she's OP, then I must be slightly crazy for enjoying fighting against her. The pacing is enjoyable.

@Rusted Blade I don’t know, what if the files found were a distraction like they did before Tekken 7 season two.
Someone found files that even hinted at Kunimitsu, Jun being added but they never were.

I Love Cassie more than Sophitia even though I’ve Mained Sophie in 6.
But I would prefer unique weapons than variations of existing ones.
Plus when we talk about sub mechanics Yun and Setsuka have way more substance to play into that.

But whether it’s season 1 or 2 Setsuka is going to make one of them her style is extremely distinctive and Namco Loves a side breast with a portion of chips.

(Sorry I’ve been itching to use that taki reference lol)

Would love valentine masion. And or setsu stage with Setsu would be dope as an introduction for season 2.

I cannot for the life of me understand why combos ended with CE actually scales down to LESS damage than the CE alone in some cases. That just seems like a major oversight.

I cannot for the life of me understand why combos ended with CE actually scales down to LESS damage than the CE alone in some cases. That just seems like a major oversight.
It's because CE wasn't conceptualized when they invented the original system. The original system made sense that longer combos do less damage because SoulCalibur was never a combo damage game, where you can kill someone with a single combo start to finish with perfect execution. CE scaling on the same system diminishes the power of CE because a CE is more like a super finisher, but if it did its full damage at the end of a combo, it would be too much damage, but the way the normal scaling works, it makes it too weak after more than like 3-5 hits, especially a multi-hit CE. It goes back to the argument that CE shouldn't exist because it's so far removed from the core systems of SoulCalibur, but you could say the same thing about RE, it's just SoulCalibur following in the footsteps of all of the other fighting games that added similar features, when it doesn't necessarily need to, but all the other fighting games are taking mechanics from each other, for the most part, so SoulCalibur didn't want to feel left out, I suppose. It's a complicated issue.

Back