Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

@Rusted Blade
Thanks for the advice I just don’t run into many Raphaels on PS4 in order to gather match up knowledge So it’s difficult.
I’ve noticed stepping to his left really opens him up so it’s a matter of experience of what to do on my end.

@AriesWarlock Nah man, romance novel or not the woman has gotta act the part.
SC3 Setsuka wasn’t just a warrior she was an extremely pissed off female and you could hear it in her voice.

“I don’t question your motives, don’t question mine”

“Stay down there and COOL off!”
“You want more, hurry up and get back up here” - after a ring out

“Stand up, I’ll cut you down as many times as you wish” - usually after a perfect

Even the way she says “Die..” has a sinister bite to it.

She sounded confident and determined with a gentle soul.

SC4 Setsuka got paid... from the way her voice sounds it sounded like she was just reading lines.
And you get that with VAs sometimes, the creators/producers can’t get the original VA back for whatever reason so they get a “stand in”.
Problem is that’s exactly what it sounded like... second grade replacement.

Does anyone know a good strat to beat Raphael.

Sophie and Zas struggle against him.

My main problem is openings I find very very little.
Although his attacks are mainly vertical focused his attack speed is pretty brutal and they usually come with knockdown follow ups,
I don’t know if I’m getting up right either as im getting trapped into more follow ups.
Forgot to answer here
Easy way is to learn his frames.
As said his pressure is fake...once you learn frames you istantly know you have 3 options against any of his blocked stance.
And wonder what? not only damage is in YOUR favour, but also chances since you will hit him with 2 out of 3.

Quick example:
Preps on block varies from -2 to -6 followed by:
an i10 vertical HIGH
an i14 horizontal mid
A small frame window short backstep impacting LOWS
A ducking stance that will be able to attack only after 30+ or so frames (so you can even choose the wrong option and still choose another after he ducks).

So lets say you choose AA…. you beat option 1, 2 and 3
If you choose to 2A or 2K you beat 1,2,4 and possibly 3 if raph doesn t get perfect timing.
Step G (starts at frame 4 ends at 12) beats 1 (heavy punish), lets you block 2, 3 and 4
8wayrun: terrible choice, beats 1 loses to anything else.
GI also might work while RE lets Raph gets a chance to break it delaying Attacks to hit the RE counter hit but its not easy.

Iprep on block is +0 (few people uses that on bock).
Options are the same but frames changes a little

ONLY thing you should fear is the vertical slow lounge attack where raph says "BLEED!".
This is a tech trap… lets raph at +7 on block if he enters prep or +2 at neutral.
That means if he decides to use his prepB you have only 3 frames and thus GI, RE, STEP won't work.
Ducking will but its too risky.
Since only "bleed" attack damage significantly your guard you can just keep blocking a couple hits and then go back at 1st example.

You could even do better watching at risk reward to see how low is risk of some options compared to reward…..
But in few words:
Know your options and don t let raph enter in your head and even using random answers you will win by raw damage and chances.

P.S: THOUGH i admit i still don t use RE cancel… nor ever meet a raph using it efficiently..
They already told they will nerf it…..
--------------------

Real problems will start when you will meet a poke and punish raphael.
Those are nasty but requires lot of experience.

Well not with soph TC step move that is raph hard counter and ZAS better spacing, tracking RE, CE and guard damage.

And the fact his punishes cancel into a CE just leaves me lost.
If you refer to rising BB iprep cancel its only from crouch and if you look at the damage after the nerf is nothing so incredible.
Its about 40 or so damage for 1 full bar when many character have OP mixups from soulcharge that will literally destroy your health bar.

I would say that Xianghua and mitsu CEs are not that weaker.
i12 punishers from standing that get invul frames and deals way more damage

Raph is the usual as ever but this time its not trash tier (see 1 option beats all mixups due to bugs). Still people complains for the same reasons always complained in past chapters even when he was trash and in the most casual oriented chapter of the series this is even worse.

Dude those numbers are so low wtf?
Ain't nobody in Japan trying to go to Fukuoka, apparently. lol

Like, for me, it was like an hour train ride to get into Tokyo for EVO Japan last time. I would literally have to get on a plane to get to Fukuoka. I'm sure they had their reasons for the location, but around Tokyo and Osaka would be where the majority of the gaming populace would be in Japan.

When is the final DLC character reveal due? I've not been here for while, but I noticed it didn't happen over the new year period.

When is the final DLC character reveal due? I've not been here for while, but I noticed it didn't happen over the new year period.

There's really no way to be certain when an official reveal will occur, and there are two remaining in the current DLC season pass which have not yet been announced. However, file references found by fans in the game after the most recent patch (and some tongue and cheek responses by the dev team with regard to those discoveries) have made it fairly certain that those two characters will be Cassandra and Amy. Beyond that, the best guess one might make for the official announcements is that Cassandra will be at some point in early February and that Amy (assuming the company doesn't just bite the bullet and announce her at the same as Cassie) will be announced six weeks to two months after. There's been a very rough (but not absolute) pattern so far of announcements and releases being interspersed and running in a character drop/balance patch/CaS drop cycle. So you can kinda-sorta work out the rough continuity, but the exact specific (particularly the precise dates) very much hinge on when they manage to complete the content itself (obviously enough, of course).

Last edited:
Jan
  • CaS A
Feb
  • Cassandra announcement in EVO2019
March
April
  • Cassandra [avaliable]
May
June
  • Amy announcement in E3 2019
  • CaS B
July
August
  • Amy [avaliable]
  • Season Pass 2 announcement in Gamescom 2019
Agree, disagree?
oesCnmW.gif

Last edited:
Jan
  • CaS A
Feb
  • Cassandra announcement in EVO2019
March
April
  • Cassandra [avaliable]
May
June
  • Amy announcement in E3 2019
July
August
  • Amy [avaliable]
  • Season Pass 2 announcement in Gamescom 2019
  • CaS B
Agree, disagree?
View attachment 57589

Yup, that's pretty much what I was imagining, and more or less consistent with usual development and marketing timelines for content of these sorts, further shaped by what we know of their specific priorities in this case. I'm hoping that we might get the Amy announcement and release each about a month earlier than the two rough dates you've projected here, but I'm not holding my breath. We could also realistically see Cassandra in late March, rather than April, though the smart money is probably on the latter. Regardless, I'd be surprised if the order of announcements/releases was anything other than the one you've detailed there. And while I understand why you phrased it as you did, to not appear to be more certain than anyone reasonably can be at this point, I wouldn't say that's "pure speculation"; there's plenty of evidence and reasonable industry best practice assumptions to support the expectation of that rough timeline.

Last edited:
@LisaK Except that the second CaS pack is projected between Cassandra and Amy, and not alongside Amy. Not unless the first CaS pack is with Cassandra.

And still not expecting a season two.

I feel like the hype is dying down at an incredibly fast rate. If they don't release them both at EVO next month then they might as well not release them at all. As much as i love this game, i can't deny that it's dead already lol.

I don't have any hopes for a season 2, or a sequel at all. Except maybe in 10 years if ever. At least this is a better game to end the franchise with than SCV.

h8B88C5FF

@LisaK Except that the second CaS pack is projected between Cassandra and Amy, and not alongside Amy. Not unless the first CaS pack is with Cassandra.

And still not expecting a season two.

Well then, with respect, you don't know the first thing about how ready publishers are to start making money this way, particularly when they own their own development teams. And that's before you consider all the extended evidence here and the fact that Namco has already adopted this model with its other fighters in the last year. The writing is on the wall with this one: season two is just short of a lock, but still a substantial certainty and I'm confused as to why you keep saying your are not expecting it. Is it based on more than just a vague impulsive call? What combination of specific facts with regard to this property / this company and its business practices and basic industry realities makes you so convinced that they wouldn't avail themselves of a model for selling their products that gives them vastly improved net returns when compared against their base product and allows them to tailor production investment much more closely to demand? Why are you so convinced Namco, who is about as ideally positioned to take advantage of this trend as any company is (and has already started to do it with their other properties) is going to pass up that easy and lucrative model (which if they can establish it as the new normal, will allow them to do an end run around the base game pricing freeze that has been in effect for twenty five years) with regard to this one particular franchise? Look, a lot of things can come along keep it from happening--not the least of which would be poor sales on the first season--but I think the smart money is clearly that it's happening.

Except that the second CaS pack is projected between Cassandra and Amy, and not alongside Amy. Not unless the first CaS pack is with Cassandra.
I ended up not paying attention to that detail, thank you. So I change CaS B from August to Jun/Jul.

Well then, with respect, you don't know the first thing about how ready publishers are to start making money this way, particularly when they own their own development teams. And that's before you consider all the extended evidence here and the fact that Namco has already adopted this model with its other fighters in the last year. The writing is on the wall with this one: season two is just short of a lock, but still a substantial certainty and I'm confused as to why you keep saying your are not expecting it. Is it based on more than just a vague impulsive call? What combination of specific facts with regard to this property / this company and its business practices and basic industry realities makes you so convinced that they wouldn't avail themselves of a model for selling their products that gives them vastly improved net returns when compared against their base product and allows them to tailor production investment much more closely to demand? Why are you so convinced Namco, who is about as ideally positioned to take advantage of this trend as any company is (and has already started to do it with their other properties) is going to pass up that easy and lucrative model (which if they can establish it as the new normal, will allow them to do an end run around the base game pricing freeze that has been in effect for twenty five years) with regard to this one particular franchise? Look, a lot of things can come along keep it from happening--not the least of which would be poor sales on the first season--but I think the smart money is clearly that it's happening.
Because the only season two that fits their narrative would be Aeon, Edge Master, Hwang, and Rock, and there's a good number of problems with this lineup. Aeon and Hwang would be fine inclusions, but you're going to get people who will not be happy with having to buy the other half of Aeon's moveset when it was already in the game. Edge Master, unless given a unique style with his trademark longsword that he's never actually used in-game, would be a sold mimic, and that's the opposite of good will if you're trying to sell DLC characters. Then there's Rock, who has all but been assimilated into Astaroth, for all intents and purposes. The other option would be Li Long, but he's got even less traction than Hwang, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

They could, for the sake of argument, throw the narrative to the wolves and have a season two that had Yun-seong, Setsuka, Hilde, and Algol in it, but it doesn't make any sense to me for them to do this, instead of just saving those four for SoulCalibur VII. They've come this far, including Cassandra and Amy, taking only the timeline of 1583-1590 into account for characters being included in the game, and they've also not been bending the rules and allowing characters in where they shouldn't be, or "retconning", if you will. They've gone above and beyond to keep the story the same as it originally was, instead of making it work to keep characters/styles like Viola and Z.W.E.I. in, for the extreme example, or Setsuka and Hilde, for the not so extreme example, going against their principle of unique weapons first, even entertaining the idea of having "clones" that they're reworking to make unique instead of just using the unique weapons that they already have.

If we were just talking Namco, yes, they'd absolutely take every opportunity they could to make money. But this is SoulCalibur, the redheaded stepchild, we're talking about here. We don't get the lasting support, even if it means making money, in lieu of other projects. They cut off SoulCalibur V's CaS packs without finishing them when Tekken Tag 2 was on the horizon, even though they doubtlessly would have kept making money by continuing to release more and more parts, because people eat the customization parts up like candy. I have no doubts in my mind that we will get a SoulCalibur VII, the "threat" of this game being the last game meant nothing to me, because if SoulCalibur V couldn't kill the franchise, then SoulCalibur VI won't either. SoulCalibur VI has been doing much better than SoulCalibur V that it wouldn't be nearly as long of a wait for the next game, so instead of looking forward to a season two, we should be looking forward to SoulCalibur VII, not only getting the extra characters, but the game and narrative that supports them.

Back