Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I'm having struggles with post patch Sieg. He just doesn't feel the same. SBH A doesn't KND on NH anymore (on top of a damage nerf). Ab got nerfed and that's one of his bread and butter moves. SRSH A+B and SSH A+B both got a severe damage nerf as well as combo scaling nerf. This results in reduced wall damage, and SRSH K not being nearly as threatening due to the nerf on above move in combo.

I'm getting very close to finding another main TBH. Waiting on Cassy.... Or maybe Astaroth now since he got huge buffs.

Since the topic has come up, can someone confirm or correct what I thought I was hearing with regard to Siggy's voice this time around: the voice for Siegfried in combat is a different voice actor entirely from that which does his Soul Chronicle/Libra lines, correct? I thought I heard a pretty considerable difference between the two, with the voice from the cutscenes in particular being a considerable disconnected from how Siegfried has been voiced in the past. And mind you, I don't notmally notice anything about the voice actors (actually I left the games on their Japanese voices for the better part of a decade to avoid the scenery chewing of the English localizations), but this was especially cringe worthy, even for Soul Calibur's usual standard of over-the-top delivery. I mean the dialogue wasn't exactly giving the actor much to work with, but it was...not well delivered, with Sig coming off as more whiny than tortured. But the match voice (which may or may not be the old one for all I know) sounded at least roughly consistent in tone with the older voice acting? Do I have that all wrong?

In general, the Soul Chronicle dialogue has a slightly different feeling than the battle dialogue. I’m pretty sure they’re the same voice actors, though. It doesn’t really make sense that they would have different people in that way. Not having English voice credits properly does muddle this, but in that Japanese doesn’t do this, I doubt English does either. Mitsurugi sounds a lot more goofy in his story dialogue, as another example of what you’re talking about, I think.

In general, the Soul Chronicle dialogue has a slightly different feeling than the battle dialogue. I’m pretty sure they’re the same voice actors, though. It doesn’t really make sense that they would have different people in that way. Not having English voice credits properly does muddle this, but in that Japanese doesn’t do this, I doubt English does either. Mitsurugi sounds a lot more goofy in his story dialogue, as another example of what you’re talking about, I think.

Yeah, maybe it is just a matter of the level of exertion in the battle voice work making it sound somewhat less twerpish. I thought maybe that they just recycled old voice dialogue from previous games for his moveset, but then had a new actor come in and do his cutscenes, but if I am reading the above correctly, his battle lines are new now? You'd think after putting five hundred to two thousand hours into each of these games, I would remember the lines with some clarity, but...I don't know, it all just blends into the background, and I started using the Japanese voices as a while back, as they are delivered in a slightly less hammy manner, mostly.

Yes, the lines are absolutely new and not reused from previous games. Some of the lines were in previous games, but they were re-recorded to have Kirk Thornton saying them, because it would be weird and awkward to change voice actor inbetween attacks in the middle of a fight.

I dunno if you do/are, probably not, play/playing Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition, but they actually did do this for Yuri and Judith, but it’s far more noticeable with Yuri. In the original release on Xbox 360, he was voiced by Troy Baker, and then the game was rereleased on PS3 for Japan only in Japanese, adding new lines, attacks, and other things. They dubbed these new things for Definitive Edition, but didn’t reach out and get Troy Baker to reprise his role, instead getting Grant George to dub the new lines. But they didn’t redo everything, just the new stuff. So if you use special attacks from the original version, Troy Baker calls out the attack, and if you use special attacks that were new in the PS3 version, Grant George calls out the attack instead. It’s very jarring. The dialogue is the same, you’ll go from a cutscene in the original version to either a new cutscene or one that wasn’t voiced originally, and swap voices. It’s bizarre.

Yes, the lines are absolutely new and not reused from previous games. Some of the lines were in previous games, but they were re-recorded to have Kirk Thornton saying them, because it would be weird and awkward to change voice actor inbetween attacks in the middle of a fight.

I dunno if you do/are, probably not, play/playing Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition, but they actually did do this for Yuri and Judith, but it’s far more noticeable with Yuri. In the original release on Xbox 360, he was voiced by Troy Baker, and then the game was rereleased on PS3 for Japan only in Japanese, adding new lines, attacks, and other things. They dubbed these new things for Definitive Edition, but didn’t reach out and get Troy Baker to reprise his role, instead getting Grant George to dub the new lines. But they didn’t redo everything, just the new stuff. So if you use special attacks from the original version, Troy Baker calls out the attack, and if you use special attacks that were new in the PS3 version, Grant George calls out the attack instead. It’s very jarring. The dialogue is the same, you’ll go from a cutscene in the original version to either a new cutscene or one that wasn’t voiced originally, and swap voices. It’s bizarre.

Yeah I can see how that would be super jarring. In the case of Siegfried, I thought there was a chance they were all recycled. I knew that I recognized some of the battle lines for certain, but couldn't recall with enough clarity to know if they were recycles or repeats. I know they've done that in the franchise in the past; many of the audio assets of SCII were re-used in SCIII, for example. I suppose I might as well have checked youtube or plugged in my PS2/PS3/360 to check, but it was just something that occurred to me when playing Siegfried's soul chronicle in VI and then promptly forgotten until it came up here. Thanks for the clarification!

I mean, that's not strictly true...

There are games where all the characters have bullshit infinites, but it doesn't mean they're balanced.

I personally think the balance in SCVI feels pretty good right now. And of course what I mean by that is PLEASE BUFF TAKI.

I mean, that's not strictly true...

There are games where all the characters have bullshit infinites, but it doesn't mean they're balanced.

I personally think the balance in SCVI feels pretty good right now. And of course what I mean by that is PLEASE BUFF TAKI.

I think Taki will continue to get buffed every patch just like Zas, Talim, & Mi-na.

Back