Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

To be fair, it might be related to the future of the game as a sort of "What's Next" type of deal. We'll see.

190abf2aa3623a4918e31434ae329b72.png

https://gyazo.com/190abf2aa3623a4918e31434ae329b72

Should we be worried about the future of the franchise?

Depends on the exact nature of one's worry. Short-term sale prices are not unheard of these days, even within the first six months of release. They are a marketting tool which does not necesarily reflect upon particularly poor sales (GTA V, for example, went on sale for 40% off on numerous platforms during it's first year on the market, despite selling like gangbusters). Many people on this forum tend to have a propensity to be either overly optimistic about the immediate future of the franchise (anticipating that the next game will be out in two and half years when six is by far the more realistic projection) or incredibly pessimistic about the long-term prospects (believing that if the most recent entry doesn't have record sales, the franchise will be shelved once and for all). Neither expectation is particularly realistic: games have a development cycle that is set by revenue and marketability factors as well as the level of commitment to other IPs required of their studio(s) and publisher. Soul Calibur has plenty enough brand recognition remaining that it's not likely to have it's last gasp with VI, but it could very realistically be well into the next generation before we see the next entry. Still, given we've had indications that PS/Namco are contemplating two season passes here, I would say the present sale is an indication an an effort to continue establishing a decent install base, not proof that the sales are well below their projections (the game has, if nothing else, well outsold where SCV was this soon after its release).

Last edited:
I think the upcoming event should be taken seriously despite there not being any possible Cassie or Amy announcement.

Patch 1.11 was unnecessarily heavy handed.
The fact they seem to be persuaded to patch via online complaints instead of focusing on the net code worries me.

The up and coming characters are probably going to suffer more as Cassie and Amy did have annoying movesets.
Times that by an SC6 grade and you could see characters like that hit pretty hard if players don’t like the way they are online.

So we should make our voices heard in terms of asking them to take their foot off the gas with all the nerfing.

Patch 1.11 was unnecessarily heavy handed.
The fact they seem to be persuaded to patch via online complaints instead of focusing on the net code worries me.

So we should make our voices heard in terms of asking them to take their foot off the gas with all the nerfing.

Namco really needs to stop listening to the Talim Fanbase. Nerfing a character because of online is really dumb.

Has it been long enough for them to release the next Dlc? I’m i-i-itching! And-d-d...I need my fix! Please! Just give me a little bit of new parts.

Reactions: CFW
Has it been long enough for them to release the next Dlc? I’m i-i-itching! And-d-d...I need my fix! Please! Just give me a little bit of new parts.

Hahah, have you tried giving Daddy Okubo his sugar? I assume you are his Number One ZionO. ;)

Last edited:
Depends on the exact nature of one's worry. Short-term sale prices are not unheard of these days, even within the first six months of release. They are a marketting tool which does not necesarily reflect upon particularly poor sales (GTA V, for example, went on sale for 40% off on numerous platforms during it's first year on the market, despite selling like gangbusters). Many people on this forum tend to have a propensity to be either overly optimistic about the immediate future of the franchise (anticipating that the next game will be out in two and half years when six is by far the more realistic projection) or incredibly pessimistic about the long-term prospects (believing that if the most recent entry doesn't have record sales, the franchise will be shelved once and for all). Neither expectation is particularly realistic: games have a development cycle that is set by revenue and marketability factors as well as the level of commitment to other IPs required of their studio(s) and publisher. Soul Calibur has plenty enough brand recognition remaining that it's not likely to have it's last gasp with VI, but it could very realistically be well into the next generation before we see the next entry. Still, given we've had indications that PS/Namco are contemplating two season passes here, I would say the present sale is an indication an an effort to continue establishing a decent install base, not proof that the sales are well below their projections (the game has, if nothing else, well outsold where SCV was this soon after its release).
First, I wanna say thank you for the very detailed reply, it did help calm my nerves a bit.

The idea of balancing online is somewhat worrying, but I understand why they’re doing it (i just wish they weren’t)

First, I wanna say thank you for the very detailed reply, it did help calm my nerves a bit.

I'm glad to be a calming influence--just as anyone, that's me to a t! ;)

The idea of balancing online is somewhat worrying, but I understand why they’re doing it (i just wish they weren’t)

Preach it. Actually, I'm sure almost everyone on this forum would agree of course. What a terrible decision. I think they're cutting off their nose to spite their face on this one. Leaning towards casual players may earn them a short-term increase in their install base, but there are a lot of veterans that are already feeling that this entry has been a little too engineered towards the casual crowd, and nothing sends the message "you are our second concern" to the old guard more loudly than sacrificing precision in the offline version for more forgiving play and generous windows in the online. These are the people who have been their most loyal customers (for some of us, for decades) and who help drive sales on each new entry by word of mouth. I really think this is bad longterm thinking on their part. But maybe I am underestimating just how greatly we are outnumbered by the new influx of players. But even in that event, we still don't have to like it..

I feel like it’s not impossible that the game will be balanced around offline play during the season pass two times, considering the implication that the majority of the characters would be legacy, appealing more to the hardcore fan than to the casual.

Also I’ve just taken to ignoring @Frayhua’s ill-conceived hate for the Talim fanbase. It’s illogical at best, and it just seems like an arbitrarily chosen target to focus the rage of Setsuka not making base roster that has been chosen. As a member of the Talim fanbase, I know that I have no bearing on being the casual online crowd, so it doesn’t apply. Just a nonsense statement, honestly.

Is there any information regarding the new CaS pieces? I heard someone say that in the stream they said it was going to include older pieces --- is that correct??

Back