Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I know of that tweet. But I wonder what exactly he's there for. I'm really hoping there's a "What's Next" deal, as he said they're going to shed more light on the future of SC. They need to reveal something soon.

While I take his word for it and I don't expect anything big, it is worth noting that he could just be saying that and instead have something of at least moderate impact to say. Wouldn't be the first time plans for anything have been denied in advance of reveals for games.

you don't really need a "big event" to announce the remaining Pass characters. you just need to...…..show a trailer. ;)

get on stage after the tournament, talk about the game and hint at future plans, then say I've got something special for you all and show a trailer revealing Cass and Amy ( with perhaps a tease of what's to come in Season 2 ).

that's it. doesn't have to be some grand event with pomp and circumstance.

This is the same marketing team that handled Tira right... yeah we’re in for some turbulence.
And it doesn’t surprise me they’ve been silent.

The only thing that has me worried is a combination of misfortune.

- Competition is on the way in terms of MK11 and DOA6

- Nerfs have been heavy handed.

- Bugs are a plenty.

- DLC news and releases are really slow.

- Communication is bad.

Namco are choking out the game at this point.

Season 2 should be saved for E3 with the first of its drop around or on the game’s anniversary.
That should take season 1 drops to every other month until August if something drops this month.

Until then we can only do our part in supporting tournaments and streams.
If we throw all our support into just CAS parts, we the community will kill the game.

I get the need/crave for CAS parts but can you Just frame bruh?!

If there’s no big announcement at EVO Japan then release the damn CaS dlc already..

I'm a little disappointed in the marketing team as of late. Leading up to release social media was booming with updates and coverage but the past couple of months it's been almost silent. It's kind of sad to see in contrast to other fighters like Tekken 7 and Dragonball Fighter Z which are both getting pretty regular coverage and promotion on social media platforms. Doesn't really feel like Project Soul's marketing team is working very hard to keep the excitement up for SC6 unfortunately. That being said, we need to see some big news and soon to get people interested again before titles like MK11 and DoA6 drop and leave SC6 as a distant memory.

I'm not too worried about DoA6 because I haven't personally taken it seriously since DoA3 but I think we all know that the MK franchise has rebuilt itself in a way that gives it great potential to be a top tier fighter and that doesn't bode well for SC6, especially with things like character customization becoming more common place in fighters. To be quite honest, though it might lack many of the customization options SC6 has it looks cleaner and more polished in terms of overall visual aesthetic, so unfortunately gimmicks like this aren't really setting it apart from the crowd anymore especially when the development team is just using recycled assets.

Last edited:
I would very much like to see them put the effort in and give us a new canon character (preferably female) for one of those codenames. Just being Azwel and Groh, as of now, makes me think there's actually a chance of that.
I want a Black Panther Warrior with a Dire Panther. She could be the archer with the giant melee bow we been waiting for.

To be quite honest, though it might lack many of the customization options SC6 has it looks cleaner and more polished in terms of overall visual aesthetic, so unfortunately gimmicks like this aren't really setting it apart from the crowd anymore especially when the development team is just using recycled assets.
I feel like we've gone silent just like Dragon Ball Fighter Z had gone silent in the couple of months before the Dragon Ball Super movie released. Bandai Namco has been pushing Ace Combat and Jump Force hard on the channels to every region. I don't feel like the Soul Calibur twitter and instagram page has good marketing though to agree with you there. But I think the only thing that can set Soul Calibur apart from other titles is if they embrace the creative freedom that have started to implement. Introducing the different races they can stray farther from the realism and start putting more imaginary elements into it that won't always make a game's plot be Soul Edge/Nightmare. Everyone let's head to the castle. They should stop aging the roster after we complete the Soul Calibur 4 roster. And just keep retelling the story from Soul Edge-Soul Calibur 4 adding new characters and gaps. I think the only thing that hurts this franchise is that you can't write characters getting from one part of the world to another in a matter of hours. Characters like Ivy, Zasalamel and other "alchemist" need to create some teleportation powder. Talim needs to start summoning a giant feather. Maxi needs a Dragon Whale to move his ship around lol. If they can expedite travel then the game's narrative can pick up an entire new story within days or weeks of each other instead of months and years.

If I can throw in a wish it would be to actually tighten up the combat, like in SCV. This feels more like SCII, where the hitboxes seem to actually push the opponents forward, rather than go through them. This is pure preference, and I know most prefer the feel of SCII.

Combos feel less like combos now, and a lot more random. I was never a fan of range affecting combos, but now it's more random than ever. Raphael is a good example of this. Close up Prep BBA+B will sometimes give a wall splat, sometimes veer off and sometimes not move at all. B4 against the wall does at it pleases, and launchers like 22BB give time to react, but still feel iffy at many ranges.

I don't remember this in SCV. Everything felt... Tighter? Characters like Viola would never exist in SCVI's hitbox engine. All consistency would go out the window.

Writing this out though, I'm already disagreeing with myself. It seems what I want would involve an engine rewrite, and people hate on combos now-a-days. I have to say, the feel of the game is 90% what I want, and my main never had such long combos till now. It all just feels slightly sloppy and loose.

I think there's probably only a handful of people that will actually get what I mean, but I will insist that consistency is very important for a game to gain respect in a competitive setting. I'm not talking Tira personality consistency, more what a viewer can predict will happen based on what they've already seen.

The current system has a higher skill ceiling, because players need to react on the fly, but it hurts the viewers. I will stress the importance of SCVI's watch-ability as integral to it's marketing outside it's player base. It's 2019.

Last edited:
Isn't the gaming community steering towards cooperative play more than competitive play lately? They already have a fighting game, what else can they do without changing the engine that can get more people engaged? Would it ever be possible to make a two player mode where Lizardmen appear and attack you in hordes. 1P and 2P would be stationed on the stage as if in a regular match and would require you to just guard turn and use 8 way movement to traverse the stage and strike down the Lizardmen/Malfested/Demons. You could then fight through a series of stages and ending bosses until you come to the final match with a giant boss. It would be a good 2 vs ??? without having to change the camera, stages, or mechanics that much. Just program the horde A.I. And determine how much the engine can have going on the screen at one time.

Isn't the gaming community steering towards cooperative play more than competitive play lately? They already have a fighting game, what else can they do without changing the engine that can get more people engaged? Would it ever be possible to make a two player mode where Lizardmen appear and attack you in hordes. 1P and 2P would be stationed on the stage as if in a regular match and would require you to just guard turn and use 8 way movement to traverse the stage and strike down the Lizardmen/Malfested/Demons. You could then fight through a series of stages and ending bosses until you come to the final match with a giant boss. It would be a good 2 vs ??? without having to change the camera, stages, or mechanics that much. Just program the horde A.I. And determine how much the engine can have going on the screen at one time.
Clever idea, but not without some flaws. If they included stun, it would get abused. If they didn't, it would just be a DPS rotation of 2-3 good strings.

Most of all, it would either be a gimmick, or just not Soul Calibur.

Lizardmen have been getting slapped around since Soul Calibur II though. And including stun might save your life in the long run if you had three opponents surrounding you and trying to hit you at the same time. Characters that can knockdown in wide horizontals/areas or become immune to damage because of command grabs would rise in play tiers.

If I can throw in a wish it would be to actually tighten up the combat, like in SCV. This feels more like SCII, where the hitboxes seem to actually push the opponents forward, rather than go through them. This is pure preference, and I know most prefer the feel of SCII.

Combos feel less like combos now, and a lot more random. I was never a fan of range affecting combos, but now it's more random than ever. Raphael is a good example of this. Close up Prep BBA+B will sometimes give a wall splat, sometimes veer off and sometimes not move at all. B4 against the wall does at it pleases, and launchers like 22BB give time to react, but still feel iffy at many ranges.

I don't remember this in SCV. Everything felt... Tighter? Characters like Viola would never exist in SCVI's hitbox engine. All consistency would go out the window.

Writing this out though, I'm already disagreeing with myself. It seems what I want would involve an engine rewrite, and people hate on combos now-a-days. I have to say, the feel of the game is 90% what I want, and my main never had such long combos till now. It all just feels slightly sloppy and loose.

I think there's probably only a handful of people that will actually get what I mean, but I will insist that consistency is very important for a game to gain respect in a competitive setting. I'm not talking Tira personality consistency, more what a viewer can predict will happen based on what they've already seen.

The current system has a higher skill ceiling, because players need to react on the fly, but it hurts the viewers. I will stress the importance of SCVI's watch-ability as integral to it's marketing outside it's player base. It's 2019.
I quit SCV early because the fights felt rigid. It probably had more consistency with hits and combos but if that comes at the cost of combat fluidity and ferocity, I'd rather not have it. There's an erratic, wild factor to SCVI (similar to SCIV) which I appreciate alot, even though it causes its fair share of wtf-moments when things get screwy.

Sooo, like SC Legends? Didn't play that one, but sounds similar to what you're describing.

Back