Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I quit SCV early because the fights felt rigid. It probably had more consistency with hits and combos but if that comes at the cost of combat fluidity and ferocity, I'd rather not have it. There's an erratic, wild factor to SCVI (similar to SCIV) which I appreciate alot, even though it causes its fair share of wtf-moments when things get screwy.
So, it would be more fun to have attacks sometimes whiff when they are supposed to land their mark...

You’d probably think adding tripping in Super Smash Bros. Brawl was a good idea...

So, it would be more fun to have attacks sometimes whiff when they are supposed to land their mark...

You’d probably think adding tripping in Super Smash Bros. Brawl was a good idea...
I never pointed to whiffs being positive in any regard. But I'd rather have an occassional whiff than a stiff move-system that fails to exhilarate after the initial excitement of newness settles.

Sooo, like SC Legends? Didn't play that one, but sounds similar to what you're describing.
No not gameplay wise. Soul Calibur Legends was a platformer, you run around a space and swing and attack. That game was buggy because of the controls. But what was good about Soul Calibur Legends is that you fought things like monsters and such. Which you already do in the game itself, fighting skeletons, the grim reaper with no face, Lizardman, golems, malfested. So like on Soul Calibur 4 when you would fight multiple opponents and they would just materialize from nothing. That's how they would come out, but they would spawn at different angles and be targeting one of the 2 players. 1P and 2P are just standing on the stage like a normal fight. But you can walk and attack through each other so you can attack freely without knocking each other out. You be able to hold guard and another button and that would make you turn around, and then you would use the 8-way movement to rotate around. The camera just pans out the farther you two move away from each other. Something along those lines because it wouldn't require them to change much about what is already programmed into the game.

I feel like we've gone silent just like Dragon Ball Fighter Z had gone silent in the couple of months before the Dragon Ball Super movie released. Bandai Namco has been pushing Ace Combat and Jump Force hard on the channels to every region. I don't feel like the Soul Calibur twitter and instagram page has good marketing though to agree with you there. But I think the only thing that can set Soul Calibur apart from other titles is if they embrace the creative freedom that have started to implement. Introducing the different races they can stray farther from the realism and start putting more imaginary elements into it that won't always make a game's plot be Soul Edge/Nightmare. Everyone let's head to the castle. They should stop aging the roster after we complete the Soul Calibur 4 roster. And just keep retelling the story from Soul Edge-Soul Calibur 4 adding new characters and gaps. I think the only thing that hurts this franchise is that you can't write characters getting from one part of the world to another in a matter of hours. Characters like Ivy, Zasalamel and other "alchemist" need to create some teleportation powder. Talim needs to start summoning a giant feather. Maxi needs a Dragon Whale to move his ship around lol. If they can expedite travel then the game's narrative can pick up an entire new story within days or weeks of each other instead of months and years.

Don't get me wrong, I love the creation aspect of soul calibur in fact it's a huge draw for someone like me, however it is a bit disappointing in its current state. The incompatibility between pieces is a HUGE setback and though in some cases I can understand where pieces wouldn't work together, this amounts to at least half of what is available which isn't a whole lot to begin with. Furthermore belts for example don't fit properly and the colour Orange is completely absent from the bottom layer colour pallet. I could go on but the point I'm trying to make is that this needs to be better. When the CaS dlc releases all I ask is that a) the pieces fit properly on the models and b) they are compatible with parts both new and old. Moving forward, should there be another entry in the series I seriously hope they can come up with a new approach to creation that is more streamline as a whole.

In terms of story I honestly don't hate the idea of the timeline eventually reaching that of SCV and even beyond that. I think the Soul Chronicles timeline would be a healthy way to eventually cross those bridges as you could have the likes of Pyrrha and Patroklos alongside the cast of SC I - IV. That being said they could also start to slowly introduce characters like Z.W.E.I. and Viola through origin stories during the time skip so we actually know more about these characters and perhaps actually grow to like them rather then being confused as to why they are in our game in lieu of the fighters we'd expect to see in soul calibur. shrug

Don't get me wrong, I love the creation aspect of soul calibur in fact it's a huge draw for someone like me, however it is a bit disappointing in its current state. The incompatibility between pieces is a HUGE setback and though in some cases I can understand where pieces wouldn't work together, this amounts to at least half of what is available which isn't a whole lot to begin with. Furthermore belts for example don't fit properly and the colour Orange is completely absent from the bottom layer colour pallet. I could go on but the point I'm trying to make is that this needs to be better. When the CaS dlc releases all I ask is that a) the pieces fit properly on the models and b) they are compatible with parts both new and old. Moving forward, should there be another entry in the series I seriously hope they can come up with a new approach to creation that is more streamline as a whole.

In terms of story I honestly don't hate the idea of the timeline eventually reaching that of SCV and even beyond that. I think the Soul Chronicles timeline would be a healthy way to eventually cross those bridges as you could have the likes of Pyrrha and Patroklos alongside the cast of SC I - IV. That being said they could also start to slowly introduce characters like Z.W.E.I. and Viola through origin stories during the time skip so we actually know more about these characters and perhaps actually grow to like them rather then being confused as to why they are in our game in lieu of the fighters we'd expect to see in soul calibur. shrug
I just noticed that there wasn't really an orange in the color pallet, it wasn't something I used on my clothes. The character creation is much farther ahead of other games. The only thing it's missing is more in depth facial creator. And yes there are plenty of options that don't fit now that fit in SCV. I feel like they have taken new items such as the Aval tops to replace older outfits, but now I have to use my extra pieces to cover up the logo. But to say it needs to be thrown out is harsh. It needs a numerical value on all the sliders, a copy/paste/clipboard, and for a dev team that can keep working on the fitting, clipping so that items that can't be used together can be. I've learned not to make hips, forearms, stomach too wide because it makes the eqipment piece obscurely huge. It is fine where it is, and will only be improved into the future. Question; Was SCV on the unreal engine? Now that SCVI is on the unreal engine would that cause a issue such as having the re-create every piece they had in the previous games?

No the time skip is too jarring. They need to find alternative plot devices such as astral fissures, time travel to re-introduce characters like Z.W.E.I into the story. Because no matter how to try to slice it, that means the SCV timeline will exist which also was too jarring and began to sour the series. I've heard people actually suggest that Viola and Amy be two different people. She could be related to Amy. But this reboot is nice and all, but once we continue to wear out everyone just chasing after Siegfried/Soul Calibur and Nightmare/Soul Edge then you just tire out the story. They need characters' to have more motivation other than the two swords. Sophitia losing her kids, and being used as ransom to make her a slave to Soul Edge. That was one of the better twist in the story but it was cut too short because everyone was dying in SCIV. Viola could want to get Amy back from Raphael because she thinks he's a grown man that is a little too devoted to her younger sister. Amy could be fleshed out more. There are elves, angels, devils, darksiders, malefics, outcast and no need to be historically accurate any longer. There is too much potential to just start aging all the characters out.

I'm seriously been thinking about a Black Panther Warrior with a dire panther, or a malefested panther that turns into a giant monster panther that would fight alongside the warrior. They could shoot you with arrows and the panther strike you. A command grab that a arrow is shot into you that has a chain and the panther swings you up in the air and the warrior snipes you out of the sky.

I just noticed that there wasn't really an orange in the color pallet, it wasn't something I used on my clothes. The character creation is much farther ahead of other games. The only thing it's missing is more in depth facial creator. And yes there are plenty of options that don't fit now that fit in SCV. I feel like they have taken new items such as the Aval tops to replace older outfits, but now I have to use my extra pieces to cover up the logo. But to say it needs to be thrown out is harsh. It needs a numerical value on all the sliders, a copy/paste/clipboard, and for a dev team that can keep working on the fitting, clipping so that items that can't be used together can be. I've learned not to make hips, forearms, stomach too wide because it makes the eqipment piece obscurely huge. It is fine where it is, and will only be improved into the future. Question; Was SCV on the unreal engine? Now that SCVI is on the unreal engine would that cause a issue such as having the re-create every piece they had in the previous games?

No the time skip is too jarring. They need to find alternative plot devices such as astral fissures, time travel to re-introduce characters like Z.W.E.I into the story. Because no matter how to try to slice it, that means the SCV timeline will exist which also was too jarring and began to sour the series. I've heard people actually suggest that Viola and Amy be two different people. She could be related to Amy. But this reboot is nice and all, but once we continue to wear out everyone just chasing after Siegfried/Soul Calibur and Nightmare/Soul Edge then you just tire out the story. They need characters' to have more motivation other than the two swords. Sophitia losing her kids, and being used as ransom to make her a slave to Soul Edge. That was one of the better twist in the story but it was cut too short because everyone was dying in SCIV. Viola could want to get Amy back from Raphael because she thinks he's a grown man that is a little too devoted to her younger sister. Amy could be fleshed out more. There are elves, angels, devils, darksiders, malefics, outcast and no need to be historically accurate any longer. There is too much potential to just start aging all the characters out.

Not sure what engine they were using in V off the top of my head to be honest but you're probably right, I am being a bit harsh on it. It just bares some familiar frustrations from V only here it's almost worse due to the sheer lack of parts to work your way around it's short comings, although I have to admit I have made some pretty awesome things and seen tons of other really clever designs. I'm probably like most just eager for some new content to sink my teeth into. I'm more than okay with waiting for quality content, but some news would be really nice. 2B didn't really fill much of a void for me so it almost feels like nothing was released at all because I'm more looking forward to characters that are missing rather than another guest.

I don't disagree with you on the lore at all. I feel there's a ton of potential there not only to expand on major character plot points but also to make each characters journey just as significant as those at the central plot. As far as the events of V, I don't necessarily feel they need to be addressed any time soon, I'm just open to the idea of eventually reaching that point in the timeline and given a proper telling of that story arc. Sophitia's children are the driving force behind her quest from SCII onward so it wouldn't make much sense that they wouldn't eventually play a pivotal role in the story. When I say that however I don't mean I want a reboot of SCV one day, what I mean is there's a ton of potential right now to reshape the story leading up to that point considering the changes in the timeline and the time gap between IV and V. It's an unpopular opinion, I know, I just feel that the writters have a lot to work with and could eventually make that a story worth telling.

Not sure what engine they were using in V off the top of my head to be honest but you're probably right, I am being a bit harsh on it. It just bares some familiar frustrations from V only here it's almost worse due to the sheer lack of parts to work your way around it's short comings, although I have to admit I have made some pretty awesome things and seen tons of other really clever designs. I'm probably like most just eager for some new content to sink my teeth into. I'm more than okay with waiting for quality content, but some news would be really nice. 2B didn't really fill much of a void for me so it almost feels like nothing was released at all because I'm more looking forward to characters that are missing rather than another guest.

I don't disagree with you on the lore at all. I feel there's a ton of potential there not only to expand on major character plot points but also to make each characters journey just as significant as those at the central plot. As far as the events of V, I don't necessarily feel they need to be addressed any time soon, I'm just open to the idea of eventually reaching that point in the timeline and given a proper telling of that story arc. Sophitia's children are the driving force behind her quest from SCII onward so it wouldn't make much sense that they wouldn't eventually play a pivotal role in the story. When I say that however I don't mean I want a reboot of SCV one day, what I mean is there's a ton of potential right now to reshape the story leading up to that point considering the changes in the timeline and the time gap between IV and V. It's an unpopular opinion, I know, I just feel that the writters have a lot to work with and could eventually make that a story worth telling.
Thing is, they'll have to take into account the real-life events occuring around the time where the next SC games are set. I mean, if they decided to make a SC game set at a time where Japan had their closed doors policy up and running, I wouldn't be surprised if there wouldn't be any Japanese reps in that. Also, next thing you'll know, they'll add in a fighter whose main weapon is a musket with a bayonet.

Thing is, they'll have to take into account the real-life events occuring around the time where the next SC games are set. I mean, if they decided to make a SC game set at a time where Japan had their closed doors policy up and running, I wouldn't be surprised if there wouldn't be any Japanese reps in that. Also, next thing you'll know, they'll add in a fighter whose main weapon is a musket with a bayonet.
Something I have been bringing up. To hell with history we have a video game. We are on the second run of this narrative and all the characters began to fall flat from lack of motivation and the real world events surrounding them. Everyone had come to the realization that soul edge was not worth it and when your entire cast only reason for existing is gone they just go home. Unlike street fighter, tekken or dead or alive you can’t just invite everyone to a tournament every couple of years and have a big bad show up in between those tournaments that gets everyone together. You also can get mitsurugi who may be in Japan to Germany in a couple hours to a day. There is no secret government organization that is going to whisk Hwang from the navy just because yung and Mina go missing and get him back before he’s considered awol. We seen what happens in the semi realistic storyline. It’s time to take this on a new spin

Truth be told, we already have a story about a sword that is alive for starters, secondly a character like Azwel kind of puts the whole historical accuracy thing into question, in fact the entire organization uses technology that is far beyond what would be capable during that time, so I think there's some wiggle room per say.

Truth be told, we already have a story about a sword that is alive for starters, secondly a character like Azwel kind of puts the whole historical accuracy thing into question, in fact the entire organization uses technology that is far beyond what would be capable during that time, so I think there's some wiggle room per say.
Co-sign that all the hype that was put into the armor accurate to the period in history and I still want all of the white knight and Horus vizard, and demonic set. I use the former to make foot soldiers. We’re swinging giant swords, there’s a sword bonded to someone soul. Pirate zombie. Discount Inuyasha and Kagome. Voluptuous ninja who isn’t killing political figures but demons and is too tall to be a ninja.

“Love you DYNASTY, your channel is awesome.”

No. Just...no.
It hurts me when I think this dude is getting any money for spouting any kind of ridiculous bullshit he happens to stumble upon and it pisses me off that YT keeps on suggesting his videos to me. Like seriously - gtfo

Back