Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

I don’t think it was the sales they were referring to when those people were saying that they were dissatisfied with the game. It may have been more directed towards how SC6 itself was, such as the mechanics, gameplay, netcode, matchmaking, creation, balance updates, lack of communication from Namco, etc...

If that’s the case then I understand why they’re not fond of what goes on in SC6.
No, I heard a lot of people say that "SC is dead!" when the game first came out, basically jumping the gun and saying the sales were lower than SCV when they were in fact higher.

No, I heard a lot of people say that "SC is dead!" when the game first came out, basically jumping the gun and saying the sales were lower than SCV when they were in fact higher.

That was based on UK & JPN sales. SoulCalibur has a track record of selling the best in the US. Sales were positive with the October 2018 NPD report.

The budget was obviously lower than Tekken 7's 2.01 Million Copies Sales Forecast in 2017.

Season 2 was planned from the start before any sales report or datamine.

A picture is worth a 1000 words.

I never had a doubt that SC6 would be successful. My issue was never about the amount of sales, it's about Namco. It has always been an issue with Bamco. They never treated this series with respect and i don't think they ever will especially with DBZ games taking over the last couple of years. As if Tekken wasn't enough. I believe that this series will be neglected once again, and IF we get a SC7, it'll be in at least 10-15 years. As good as SC6 is, imagine if they actually took their time to make this game and even had a good budget... We'd get way more stages, a completely evolved Character Creation instead of a copy of SCV's, more characters, 2Ps, and more content overall. This series has what it takes to compete with T7, SF, and DBZ. It's just that bamco can't and will never see that.

I don't understand it either Soul, for me ( and I know a lot of people even in Poland ) SC always was more special, imaginative and exciting fighting games. But casuals with no imagination like more Tekken and Mortal Kombat with the same character archetypes, styles and with more modern approach ;/ They don't play females cause they are so manly, they don't play freak characters etc. It is sad cause I always played fantasy games on PC or not, and I preffered them. Weapon fighting is so cool!!! Yeah SC6 might be great but it misses the mainstream audience with little characters, almost no new characters :( half stages than Tekken 7, no cinematics, no hyped commercials and trailers.... Don't get me speaking about only one costume per char... I don't understand it when Namco is so big and has money bot NO We only care about Tekken... as always. It's sad and I'm waiting for more characters as DLC.... ehh

Yeah, it would be nice if Namco was actually willing to put more resources into Soul Calibur. It's a bit sad seeing how most other fighting games have all new models with alternate costumes for all characters, a ton of stages, a ton of modes, and etc. I'm glad SC6 exists, but it feels like such a low budget title.

I never had a doubt that SC6 would be successful. My issue was never about the amount of sales, it's about Namco. It has always been an issue with Bamco. They never treated this series with respect and i don't think they ever will especially with DBZ games taking over the last couple of years. As if Tekken wasn't enough. I believe that this series will be neglected once again, and IF we get a SC7, it'll be in at least 10-15 years. As good as SC6 is, imagine if they actually took their time to make this game and even had a good budget... We'd get way more stages, a completely evolved Character Creation instead of a copy of SCV's, more characters, 2Ps, and more content overall. This series has what it takes to compete with T7, SF, and DBZ. It's just that bamco can't and will never see that.
Don’t forget a better netcode, matchmaking options, and other online components.

Don’t forget a better netcode, matchmaking options, and other online components.
I haven't had any netcode issues since release. I do see a lot of people complain on here but personally speaking, it's been near perfect. I rarely get laggy matches and almost never get a DC. My only hope atm is to add an option to choose which ranks to run into on ranked instead of it being random. Fighting a plant nub when you're near the B ranks is frustrating and feels like a waste of time. Also, changing the retarded chat system that we have into a regular one like T7's or SCV's would be great too. Those are my only issues with Online mode atm.

@Frayhua

Also, it didn't take into account digital sales, which are much higher than they were backed in 2012 while physical has gone down.

@Frayhua

Also, it didn't take into account digital sales, which are much higher than they were backed in 2012 while physical has gone down.

VGChartz only does retail sales. The NPD Group started to count digital sales back in Summer 2016. A 6 year gap for less physical sales is to be expected with the digital market growing over the years.

PSN in 2018 made more money than Nintendo Switch & 3DS combined.

There is something I'm wondering about; how well did SCVI do compared to SCV? I am sure it did better, but by how much at launch?

Physical copies sold more than SCV and less than SCIV. Not sure about Digital sales & steam.

There is something I'm wondering about; how well did SCVI do compared to SCV? I am sure it did better, but by how much at launch?

Well, before one can answer that, we'd need to know what your definition is for the span of time which qualifies as "at launch"? Pre-orders and the first week's sales? The first quarter? To date? Usually "at launch" is an idiom which is used in combination with a discussion of features, whereas sales targets are defined in other terms. But if you provide a span of time which you had in mind with the phrase, it will be easy enough to answer your question, although it will by necessity be a rough estimate based on incomplete figures released thus far.

Last edited:
I think they initially intended to pull in as much money for less on this project to improve profit. It’s following the same suit as many of the recent Namco games I played. They start with a small roster, they rather give different pallets to one character model. They just won’t load up everything in the initial release because they have seen that you can sell the game multiple times over through the season pass. And releasing a bundled version like the “deluxe ” “super” edition games. This game probably has a five year plan that will transition into another sequel. I expect three season passes at most and probably no more than two guest still to be released if we get to season three because season two will only be in house characters. The season two pass will really make them their money because they won’t go through any external licensing. And with the next gen consoles on the horizon expect them to re release the game unless they consoles will permit backwards compatibility with quality upgrade. There would be no point really and they would then just make a “super” edition for the next gen. I can’t quite say if the game is doing well. With the recent datamine I checked to see if google search results peaked. They still aren’t returning into the 50 brackets, meaning we are probably the ones talking about it, and staying in the confines of our forums. Hopefully once Jump Force releases and it’s media push starts to dwindle they will return to pushing Soul Calibur again. There’s still Mortal Kombat, Tekken dlc and Dragon Ball is is still going to ride its wave all the way into its new season so it will continue to grab it’s limelight.

As far as features go, I just been left with too little. I’m a CaS player and I have over 100 characters made and I’m starting to feel like I keep making and editing the same kind of character. With more resources I could entertain myself more. And since I lost the ability to hex edit I am really restricted to the system. But it’s better than 5 and just needs polishing. It’s a better creative system than any other game I play. Even looking at the big deal they are making out of anthem and I wasn’t impressed because this game is still miles ahead. Mortal Kombat is up to par. The new comparability issues is what’s setting the game back but the model layers problem is actually rooted in the body slider. You want to make peak fisques for male and females but that ends up making there equipment bulky. And the only game mode I say is missing is the exhibition viewer, and editing which characters appear in the opening cinematic like in SC1. New versus modes like survival or team battle would be nice. They can always borrow that from Soul Calibur 4 of being able to tag characters in. And I suggested earlier that they already have a cemented competetive lane. It’s time to get into the think tank and make a co op option that is going to bring players online that are afraid of higher tiered players. Fighting off hordes in dungeon levels like in Weapon master mode to face a boss like Nightterror, the Giant Statue would be good for even bringing in families. Because my sons want to play but they don’t want to fight me. But they would be fine if they could play with me.

Finally this game has a diverse cast and it needs to continue to expand upon it. And continue with the imagination of it all. Ivy paved a way for female characters like Lara Croft. Hilde proved you didn’t need to be naked to be popular. But I would like to see characters from the Libra lore, like the hidden village eleven, the astral beigns, black panther warriors from Africa and that they would actually have a panther with them. And embrace that fantasy aspect. I watched inuyasha the other day and thought how the panther could turn into a malefested power up with flames. How it would help to have more antagonist in the game that aren’t focused on Soul Edge. They could even tap history and make a False Pope running his own crusade for claim of the title of Pope and look for Soul Calibur instead of Soul Edge.

The reboot is just the new beginning and where the series has created characters like VOLDO! Nightmare, Zasalamel, Tira, Azwel, Viola, ZWEI and Algol. I believe we continue to expect colorful additions to the game.

Well, before one can answer that, we'd need to know what your definition is for the span of time which qualifies as "at launch"? Pre-orders and the first week's sales? The first quarter? To date? Usually "at launch" is an idiom which is used in combination with a discussion of features, whereas sales targets are defined in other terms. But if you provide a span of time which you had in mind with the phrase, it will be easy enough to answer your question, although it will by necessity be a rough estimate based on incomplete figures released thus far.
Sure thing. What I meant is the first quarter AKA first three months. Sorry I was vague. However, @Soul's assumption that I meant first week is good enough of an answer. Doesn't mean that I don't want to know of the first quarter so answer away.

Don’t mean to harping about a Photo Mode and showing off a CaS, but well...

It’s a shame the video is blurry, plus the pose is very mobile (good luck capturing one with Voldo’s style) so it’s hard to get good screenshots. Plus even if you try for SC and CE, the perfect angle will be ruined by the UI.

Edit: I can take the screen cap from the video and place Sharpness at 50 in GIMP... Still...

Last edited:
Back