Soul Calibur VI: General discussion

What do you guys think the feedback forms have been for? Makes me wonder what it'll lead to.

Notable points I made:
  • CAS compatibility issues.
  • More CAS options.
  • Better online experiences. Global Colosseo, typing in Casual, ban customs from Ranked, actual room searching etc.
  • More stages, as right now we only have 12, one added post game, and that one never is in rotation.
  • Quality of Life improvements in general. Better menus, less input lag in certain areas, better UI and overall easier navigation and presentation.
  • More DLC, consistently released, and genuinely new. For example, I want new armor, new costumes, remade versions of past costumes and crossover pieces like that Code Vein DLC suggestion.
Maybe this is leading up to a "Soulcalibur VI: Arcade Edition" of sorts, that totally revamps the game in a massive while also being a second starting point for new players, getting another release. That'd be cool.
Those are good expect for banning CaS in ranked. Community is way to small to divide it any further. If we had crossplay then perhaps that could work but how things are right now I find it to be an arrow to the knee

Well yes zas. Zas has already been great prepatch. Now they buffed him. He has pretty much the best CE in the game. His soul charge is also amazing. His tools are great for many situations (Reverse ringouts, Frame trapps,tech traps, zoning. Pressure, grab mixups). But yea i guess thats all irrelevant.
Unless you can actually argue about why zas isnt top 5 dont try to act like he's not.

Ill gladly explain to you what makes these characters top 5 but i guess if you dont wanna see it and keep pretending like nm and azwel are a problem i cant change that.

I agree that Zasalamel is very good and definitely Top 10 and High Tier.

Top Tier and 5 is a stretch for him IMO. But definitely, very solid character.

What they say and why they do it are two different things. Groh is like Patrokolos, he's a dev loved Mary Sue that everyone must love, however since not enough people do, so he hardly gets used, they keep buffing him in hopes that if they do it enough everyone will suddenly love their new star. Like Patrokolos they have blinders on, they simply can't consider that the character is the problem, so they keep buffing the moveset.
There were plenty of people who used Pat as a pocket character and he barely changed when the update hit for 5.

Also, Pat isn’t really a Mary Sue.

Can you please explain the ‘obvious’ reasons for each of these picks? Because Talim shouldn’t be top five over characters like Groh or Yoshimitsu.
The thing I despise the most about his character is the fact that they gave him reverse RO for both 4A+G and A+G command throw.

Can you please explain the ‘obvious’ reasons for each of these picks? Because Talim shouldn’t be top five over characters like Groh or Yoshimitsu.

Well sure. Talim has great mobility. Amazing whiffpunishes. She is a fast character who can easily pressure you. Her range in theory isnt "good" but with the mobility she has no problem getting in on ranged characters and youc ant keep her out. she is pretty safe on her stuff unless you actually interrupt her string via ducking or stepping due to a right guess. On top of that she has a RE cancel which is her free out of jail card basically and involves 0 risk. And since the last patch she has a CE cancel on top of it.

There were plenty of people who used Pat as a pocket character and he barely changed when the update hit for 5.

Also, Pat isn’t really a Mary Sue.
Sure Pat is. He's an entirely unlikable character thrust upon you for the whole damn plot of the game. They wouldn't do that if it wasn't their expectation people would love him and he'd be the bomb. Same thing with dragging Groh around for so damn long in libra of souls. In both cases they created annoying characters and thrust them on you with the expextation you must love them as much as they do.

I think in a way Groh suffers from it more though in that unlike Patrokolos they are still trying to push it. Where as Pat was mostly story only Mary Sue.

I do love Grøh in that I believe he becomes Z.W.E.I. in the future, and I love Z.W.E.I. a lot. Azwel is so deeply involved in the stories of Raphael and Amy, and it would make sense if Grøh was as well.

Well sure. Talim has great mobility. Amazing whiffpunishes. She is a fast character who can easily pressure you. Her range in theory isnt "good" but with the mobility she has no problem getting in on ranged characters and youc ant keep her out. she is pretty safe on her stuff unless you actually interrupt her string via ducking or stepping due to a right guess. On top of that she has a RE cancel which is her free out of jail card basically and involves 0 risk. And since the last patch she has a CE cancel on top of it.

I can agree on her mobility and CE cancel but disagree in some way or another for the rest of your points.

-Outside of LH 6A+B, her whiff punishment isn’t that great. Most of her options boil down to setting up a stance transition and trying for oki.

-Her offense is extremely susceptible to GI (though RE against her is a joke), her lows are subpar, and her stance pressure can be easily shut down by AA if the attack used to transition was blocked (except 66A+B).

-She still has trouble getting in since she doesn’t have a fast and easy to use approaching mid. Also it’s pretty easy for Ivy and Mina to deny her existence.

-Her frames are fairly good (obviously not Groh level) but most of that is still lost of stance transitions.

-RE cancels still have the same weaknesses her regular transitions do. The main point of it is to get out of being forced into an extremely telegraphed attack.

RE cancels dont have the same weakness stances do. Everyone else gets completely fucked when whiffing an RE talim can almost immediatelly go back into block when cancelling with 8/2 for a minimal punish at best. Her whiffpunishment game is way more than just lh 6A+B. 3B 66B just to name a couple. Her mobiltiy is infact pretty gud and having 6B+K already plays a huge role even if its just a stance. 66B is also great closer. All that stuff is nothing more than the usual small weaknesses everyone has and doesnt make up for how ridiculous her other stuff is.

I can't wrap my head around the difficulty ratio when fighting Sophitia on VS. I do play a bunch of characters and I'm very able with some of them. Still, with Sophitia it's like some unholy GUANTLET of blood, sweat and tears if I'm to win. However, as soon as I use Sieg, my long-time main, I continuously murder that broad without even going full force. I don't get why she's so freakishly hard when I pick anyone else.

God how I hate Sophitia btw. Not the character per say, but her moveset. There's just something so inexplicably annoying about it.

I can't wrap my head around the difficulty ratio when fighting Sophitia on VS. I do play a bunch of characters and I'm very able with some of them. Still, with Sophitia it's like some unholy GUANTLET of blood, sweat and tears if I'm to win. However, as soon as I use Sieg, my long-time main, I continuously murder that broad without even going full force. I don't get why she's so freakishly hard when I pick anyone else.

God how I hate Sophitia btw. Not the character per say, but her moveset. There's just something so inexplicably annoying about it.
Probably because at the end of the day she's still reading your inputs lol

RE cancels dont have the same weakness stances do. Everyone else gets completely fucked when whiffing an RE talim can almost immediatelly go back into block when cancelling with 8/2 for a minimal punish at best. Her whiffpunishment game is way more than just lh 6A+B. 3B 66B just to name a couple. Her mobiltiy is infact pretty gud and having 6B+K already plays a huge role even if its just a stance. 66B is also great closer. All that stuff is nothing more than the usual small weaknesses everyone has and doesnt make up for how ridiculous her other stuff is.

The thing is that she has to commit much more than most characters to her plan of action, so while she doesn’t leave many opportunities for being heavily punished, there are plenty of chances to shut down her offense with AA.

3B and 66B are still pretty weak compared to the whiff punishers the characters considered the best use. They get fairly low damage unless you use specific setups that can be escaped from pretty easily.

For 66B, it does close distance well, but the issue is that she has all of two approaching attacks that are safe mids. Those being 66A+B and 44K. The rest of her approach options are either high or locked behind Wind Charmer.

I agreed on mobility earlier but again AA beats out everything from Wind Sault (except for WNS A+B, which trades).

The point of what I’m saying is not that she’s bad. Talim has great offensive presence up close so long as she can get going. But getting that momentum is more difficult than it is for most characters if the opponent knows when to attack.

I do love Grøh in that I believe he becomes Z.W.E.I. in the future, and I love Z.W.E.I. a lot. Azwel is so deeply involved in the stories of Raphael and Amy, and it would make sense if Grøh was as well.
Okay, PLEASE stop spreading that nonsensical theory around. There is nothing connecting Grøh to Z.W.E.I., and they have nothing in common besides anime appearances (hardly a factor because this is SC, come on). Yet you treat it as irrefutable fact. Considering we're probably never even going to see the SCV era again, saying "Grøh is Z.W.E.I." makes even less sense.

Okay, PLEASE stop spreading that nonsensical theory around. There is nothing connecting Grøh to Z.W.E.I., and they have nothing in common besides anime appearances (hardly a factor because this is SC, come on). Yet you treat it as irrefutable fact. Considering we're probably never even going to see the SCV era again, saying "Grøh is Z.W.E.I." makes even less sense.
I'll stop as soon as you stop your theory that the SoulCalibur V era is never happening again, despite us having the seeds planted that it absolutely is happening again. I freely admit that Grøh may not be Z.W.E.I., but the possibility certainly exists that they could be one in the same, or at the very least, related. I treat nothing as irrefutable fact. I just keep the possibility in mind until it's disproven.

I'll stop as soon as you stop your theory that the SoulCalibur V era is never happening again, despite us having the seeds planted that it absolutely is happening again. I freely admit that Grøh may not be Z.W.E.I., but the possibility certainly exists. I treat nothing as irrefutable fact. I just keep the possibility in mind until it's disproven.
Considering that Okubo freely admitted SCV put the series on thin ice and they rebooted to get away from it, the idea of bringing the SCV kids in makes zero sense and something that nobody wants. Oh, and this is a reboot by the way. Not only are there deviations outside of it, but Zasalamel's secret final chapter confirms it as such. I will be amazed if they have the balls to go back to SCV again, I'll also be disgusted, as with the others.

Imagining the announcement of that...

"Now announcing Soulcalibur VII... featuring your favorite characters! PATROKLOS! PYRRHA! Z.W.E.I.! NATSU! XIBA!"

silence

Yeah, I can't see it. I just can't see it.

@Nyte It wouldn't happen so swiftly, no. SoulCalibur VII is likely going to retell the stories of SoulCalibur II through SoulCalibur IV, as those stories all take place in the same timeframe of 1590-1591, and then we'd get some aftermath to set up the next game, much like there is aftermath in SoulCalibur VI that sets up SoulCalibur II. So they wouldn't lurch forward in a timeskip, that's one of the biggest reasons it would fail. It would be a gradual move this time, and actually fleshed out properly, as they're taking the story seriously now, where all story elements are canon, and nothing is just filler fluff. They can tell this tale, they can tell it well, they can justify it, and the signs point to that they will. Raphael is primed to become Nightmare and Amy's upcoming Soul Chronicle will prime her to become Viola. That is SoulCalibur V's backstory.

The problem with making another game after SoulCalibur V is that SoulCalibur V was so woefully incomplete, they would have to spend half of the game retreading the previous game and tying up loose ends before moving forward. Instead, they elected to get back in the good graces of fans by rebooting the timeline, in order to bring back the fan favorite characters, to retell the story, and to do it right this time. That includes SoulCalibur V, or we wouldn't have introduced Graf Dumas and we wouldn't have Azwel toying with Amy, teasing Viola vibes. Azwel is a plot device to set up the future events, to give them justification. It's a subtle thing that is working pretty well, if you ask me. It is a reboot, but about 98% of the story is exactly the same, with the remaining 1% being chalked up to gameplay and story segregation and the other 1% being chalked up to cleaning up the narrative, it is not the kind of reboot that is going to change things so largely. Zasalamel has different motivations to seek the power of the two swords, now, but I fully expect the end result to be nearly the same. We'll get either Abyss or Night Terror (likely the latter), and chaos will be sewn that sets up the events of SoulCalibur IV.

Considering that Azwel is responsible for 2/3 of the Raphael/Viola/Z.W.E.I. story already, it is not, in the very least, a stretch that he would be responsible for Z.W.E.I. as well. The possibilities are that E.I.N. is an expected or unexpected byproduct of Azwel's experiments with Grøh, that when Raphael (while assuming the identity of Graf Dumas) puts him to death later, and Grøh transforms into Z.W.E.I., or that it is simply another member of the Aval Organization who Azwel experiments on who is the man who would become Z.W.E.I. by the same circumstances, and between the two, having a character already established who didn't impact our story in SoulCalibur VI nearly as much as it was expected, him having a future purpose makes a lot more sense to me than having to set up yet another new character in SoulCalibur VII to transform instead. Either possibility exists, but one seems more likely than the other, to me at least.

Back